Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I was gonna say, that's an odd choice to start your list of shows about white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This is coming out as a full season right

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I haven't heard anything otherwise and I feel like it'd be super weird given the way this show has always been set up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

It was called Peak TV before Prestige TV iirc and my favorite current example would be The Crown. And the real precursor of the current era would be Lost.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Koalas March posted:

It was called Peak TV before Prestige TV iirc and my favorite current example would be The Crown. And the real precursor of the current era would be Lost Clone High.
:colbert:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

It was called Peak TV before Prestige TV iirc and my favorite current example would be The Crown. And the real precursor of the current era would be Lost.

I lay some of the blame with Downton Abbey as well. The Crown, as much as I enjoyed parts, is very much rich people complaining about nothing.

I can't wait for Bojack to come back. I need something to properly capture why everything is great but also terrible in talking horse form.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FunOne posted:

I lay some of the blame with Downton Abbey as well. The Crown, as much as I enjoyed parts, is very much rich people complaining about nothing.

I can't wait for Bojack to come back. I need something to properly capture why everything is great but also terrible in talking horse form.

The Crown for me is about the costuming and cinematography. It's a very technically well done show imo. The subject matter.. eh. At least they didnt shy away from showing her uncle was a loving nazi sympathizer.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Stuff like Oz and Six Feet Under were "prestige" before it became a thing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Where do shows like The Tudors and Outlander fall?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So basically prestige TV is if they have more than three cameras and a budget for wardrobe and period piece costumes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also serialized.

I wanna say Twin Peaks might be what the precursor ones we’re discussing had as their touchstone

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Peak TV refers to the sheer amount of programming options available that are at least decently regarded.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I would say it's high quality tv, and that's not in itself bad. Over the past 15 years or so we've seen tv that is better written, deeper, more serialized, has big themes and character arcs. But what we've also seen is a lot of shows that try way too hard and miss the mark or are confusing and pretentious. Especially with the increase in networks and streamers. If you think of the complaints people have in this forum about shows like Star Trek Discovery, Westworld Season 2, etc that is probably what Bojack is going after.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Calaveron posted:

So basically prestige TV is if they have more than three cameras and a budget for wardrobe and period piece costumes

That's definitely part of it. Prestige tv is really more a set of characteristics, and a show doesn't necessarily need to have all of them to be categorized as such. A couple off the top of my head include

1) Expensive. They tend to have very high production costs, likely substantially more than other shows on the same network. Connected with this is
2) Star power. They frequently have an A-listers attached. In many cases actors better known for film than tv.
3) Heavily serialized.
4) Adult themes. Heavy with sex, drugs, violence, ect.
5) Dead serious. If there is humor it tends to be gallows.
6) Antiheroes. The main character(s) are if not out right villainous, at least pretty badly behaved.
7) High concept, bordering on pretentious in some cases.

Data Graham posted:

Also serialized.

I wanna say Twin Peaks might be what the precursor ones we're discussing had as their touchstone

I would agree with that. Sopranos and HBO dramas in general, also are major forerunners.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

People claim the time shifting made possible by tivo and streaming were responsible for the rise of serialize hour long drama but other countries had been doing it for years so I blame the incessant march of time for bringing us to an era when most of the people making decisions about what to put on TV have been exposed to anime.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Prestige TV" just refers to anything contemporaneous with the most prestigious TV show of all time, "Rizzoli and Isles".

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

shame on an IGA posted:

I blame the incessant march of time for bringing us to an era when most of the people making decisions about what to put on TV have been exposed to anime.

is bojack horseman anime???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

T-man posted:

is bojack horseman anime???

...I'm disappointed I can't find a Bojack Horseman version of the EVA intro.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I would feed every prestige series in the world into a mulcher if it got us a third season of Dirk Gently.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I dont know posted:

One of the things that I really like about Bojack compared to most prestige tv (Bojack isn't really prestige, but it does resemble it in a lot of ways), is that it doesn't secretly celebrate it's antiheroes horribleness. A lot of prestige tv invites viewers to live vicariously through its antiheroes, and enjoy all the sex and drugs that the characters do, while simultaneously condemning them for it. Not that good tv has to be morality tales, but the two-faced hypocrisy bothers me. In the same way a lot of old slasher flicks would kill the teenage girls who have sex, but still have lots of learing shots of their naked bodies.

Agreed. I think Breaking Bad for the most part rises above this, but Mad Men fuckin' loves watching Don Draper drink and have sex regardless of the general message of the series being that he is foolish for doing so. His alcoholism and philandering are heavily romanticised and lusciously filmed, and the whole thing has this super escapist vibe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of them definitely fall into 'Bender does not condone the cool crime of stealing'.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Bojack's life does seem pretty cool and fun most of the time. :shrug:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

prefect posted:

Bojack's life does seem pretty cool and fun most of the time. :shrug:

Do you think that it is rad to have alcoholism prefect

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Calaveron posted:

Do you think that it is rad to have alcoholism prefect

If you’re rich and have no real responsibilities and have a bunch of people to babysit you, then it’s probably not so bad. Terrible for those around you though.

Android Blues posted:

Agreed. I think Breaking Bad for the most part rises above this, but Mad Men fuckin' loves watching Don Draper drink and have sex regardless of the general message of the series being that he is foolish for doing so. His alcoholism and philandering are heavily romanticised and lusciously filmed, and the whole thing has this super escapist vibe.

Mad Men definitely glamorised some terrible behaviour in the early seasons. I was glad that towards the end they started to show Don Draper as being sad and washed up, getting the shakes and generally looking like poo poo. I think if this season of Bojack is focused on addiction it’ll be interesting to see where they go with it compared to Mad Men, where you saw Don go through the cycle of recovery many times.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Prestige TV is when the people involved are trying to make something good, instead of knowing they're just making disposable content.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Prestige TV is Ibsen.

Not prestige TV is well, it's not Ibsen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i am the bird posted:

Prestige TV is Ibsen.

Not prestige TV is well, it's not Ibsen.

but is it casablanca?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

but is it casablanca?

Of course it's not casablanca, the show is called downton abbey

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Looot a talk about Prestige TV in here right now...

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
So basically nobody knows what Prestige TV is, it's not just me
good to know

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

someone at the start of the conversation just said it was oscer-bait but for tv and i still think that's about as spot-on as you're gonna get

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Goddammit I'm gonna miss the s5 premiere because of this apocalyptic fidget spinner

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've seen more than one review saying that this season gets "darker".

:stare:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yiiiikes

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't see how it can get darker. I think this is just that thing where people's idea of the show sort of resets to their S1 first impression, and they forget how dark it's already been since then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Bojack twitter account is live-binging the series.

https://twitter.com/BoJackHorseman/status/1039274111850098688

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't see how it can get darker.

if they start showing the serious health consequences of bojack's alcoholism

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SEX BURRITO posted:

If you’re rich and have no real responsibilities and have a bunch of people to babysit you, then it’s probably not so bad. Terrible for those around you though.

Mad Men definitely glamorised some terrible behaviour in the early seasons. I was glad that towards the end they started to show Don Draper as being sad and washed up, getting the shakes and generally looking like poo poo. I think if this season of Bojack is focused on addiction it’ll be interesting to see where they go with it compared to Mad Men, where you saw Don go through the cycle of recovery many times.

Bojack basically seems to be able to coast past all his troubles, bad decisions, and lack of work based on a seemingly large amount of Horsin' Around royalties to finance his lifestyle/bad decisions.

Consider that Bill Cosby getting #METOO'd caused the dude who played Elvin to have to be a bagger at Whole Foods when the royalty checks stopped when The Cosby Show reruns were yanked. This happened before--the guy who played Decker in STTMP and was the lead on 90s treacle show 7th Heaven was outed as a pedo and that show was memoryholed, I'm sure much to the detriment to his costars.

Now imagine if it comes out that someone on the show, not even Bojack, has a scandal and the show vanishes. Could get him out of his mansion real fast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Goober molested all those Laker girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
One fun thing about Bojack Horseman is that money is never a factor in any of the characters' psychological struggles, it's all on them.