Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I always like finding the weird poo poo like an external USB 3.0 5.25 floppy drive that no one else on Earth would ever sell.

Found a discman with Blu-tooth capabilities at Tower Records. Did a double take when I first saw it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

youcallthatatwist posted:

So tomorrow I'll be catching my flight to Tokyo, where I'll be living and studying for a year. Anything, uh, crucial that I should know before I get there?

Also, for a more specific question, anyone have any recommendations for good+cheap phone plans? I've been advised to only get data if that's possible, since I presumably won't need to actually call anyone if I can use Skype and Messenger.

Nothing springs to mind.

https://mobile.rakuten.co.jp/ if you nihongo, https://www.genkimobile.com/ if you nihongon't

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JP residents use LINE not skype or messenger hth

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

So tomorrow I'll be catching my flight to Tokyo, where I'll be living and studying for a year. Anything, uh, crucial that I should know before I get there?

Also, for a more specific question, anyone have any recommendations for good+cheap phone plans? I've been advised to only get data if that's possible, since I presumably won't need to actually call anyone if I can use Skype and Messenger.

Stringent posted:

Nothing springs to mind.

https://mobile.rakuten.co.jp/ if you nihongo, https://www.genkimobile.com/ if you nihongon't

Specifically the long-term service for Genki Mobile is SonixNet (they're both from the same company, Assist Solutions). You can get both unmetered data and voice/SMS for 3,900 JPY/month, which is a good deal. Unmetered is effectively unlimited but you have a 3gb limit within 3 days, at which point you begin to get throttled. Basically unless you're watching a whole lotta youtube on your phone or whatever you should be good. I switched to them from Softbank my last year or so in Japan and it was great. They have very responsive native English service and a good price point. Their small office is right by Azabu-juuban too, which is fairly central and you can go pick up your SIM in person if you want, etc.

Here's their SIM service: http://www.asolutions.co.jp/service/details/sonixnet-sim.html

You can go data only but be aware theres a bunch of circumstances (signing up for basically anything official, reservations, etc.) in which people will ask for phone numbers and you may be denied stuff or have an issue if you don't have one. Can be worked around in many cases probably, but you may only be saving ~150 USD or so over the year at potentially the cost of a bunch of hassle, so it's about the relative value of that.

Just whatever you do don't sign up with one of the big 3: SoftBank, AU, DOCOMO

Also like peanut said download LINE, and make sure to register an email to it, and download the computer client, etc. Will make your life easier. Literally everyone uses LINE for communication in Japan.

Where are you going to study?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Specifically the long-term service for Genki Mobile is SonixNet (they're both from the same company, Assist Solutions). You can get both unmetered data and voice/SMS for 3,900 JPY/month, which is a good deal. Unmetered is effectively unlimited but you have a 3gb limit within 3 days, at which point you begin to get throttled. Basically unless you're watching a whole lotta youtube on your phone or whatever you should be good. I switched to them from Softbank my last year or so in Japan and it was great. They have very responsive native English service and a good price point. Their small office is right by Azabu-juuban too, which is fairly central and you can go pick up your SIM in person if you want, etc.

Here's their SIM service: http://www.asolutions.co.jp/service/details/sonixnet-sim.html

You can go data only but be aware theres a bunch of circumstances (signing up for basically anything official, reservations, etc.) in which people will ask for phone numbers and you may be denied stuff or have an issue if you don't have one. Can be worked around in many cases probably, but you may only be saving ~150 USD or so over the year at potentially the cost of a bunch of hassle, so it's about the relative value of that.

Just whatever you do don't sign up with one of the big 3: SoftBank, AU, DOCOMO

Also like peanut said download LINE, and make sure to register an email to it, and download the computer client, etc. Will make your life easier. Literally everyone uses LINE for communication in Japan.

Where are you going to study?

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to be at Waseda, staying in a dorm room nearby.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to be at Waseda, staying in a dorm room nearby.

Oh cool I live on the other side of Toyama from Waseda.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nice, presumably you’re taking the SILS classes and all? Don’t expect too much from the general classes, use this year to experience a lot and learn a bunch of Japanese and expand your horizons and make friends/more than friends with a bunch of dude(ttes). There’s a goon Line group too which is cool for information and bullshit as long as you don’t mind constant verbal abuse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

from the last page but

punk rebel ecks posted:

Great suggestions!

Anything video game related that's cool?

aaaaaaaand this is how I know you're trolling. JFC.

also general note for anybody else with real questions and wanting advice moving forward: you'll get A LOT farther with questions like "hey I like cycling, what can I do for that in Tokyo/Osaka/Japan?" than just "So, Japan, right?" There's a metric gently caress-ton of stuff to do in Japan, there's something for just about every kind of traveler, but without knowing those details it's hard to give advice. More details help the goons that have been around, know Tokyo/Osaka/Japan well and can provide good advice to do so well and not waste anybody's time.

Otherwise we'll just tell you to go to Shibuya Hub.

(Though you should probably do that anyways.)

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Nice, presumably you’re taking the SILS classes and all? Don’t expect too much from the general classes, use this year to experience a lot and learn a bunch of Japanese and expand your horizons and make friends/more than friends with a bunch of dude(ttes). There’s a goon Line group too which is cool for information and bullshit as long as you don’t mind constant verbal abuse.

Yeah, I'll be taking SILS classes for the most part - primarily gen ed stuff, but I also need to take a few classes related to my major. I'll probably join the LINE group once I know if I can use my current phone in Japan.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

Actually no one gives a gently caress.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Getting a 7 day JR Pass... Sept 24 we're going from Tokyo to Hakone, then the next day we're going to Kyoto. We'll be staying in Kyoto until the 1st where we'll then go back to Tokyo for a night. While we're in Kyoto we'll do day trips to Nara and Osaka. It would probably make the most sense to activate the JR Pass on the 25th, right? Then maybe the Hakone Free Pass for when we're in Hakone since we'll need to take a bus to get to our Ryokan.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You don't tip in Japan.

Wish somebody told me before the waitress ran out after me.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

totalnewbie posted:

You don't tip in Japan.

You can do what you want, tipping isn’t customary but if you’re not from a place and want to do something different that isn’t harmful then gently caress it, tip.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Personally I would prefer a rickshaw pulled by a robot velociraptor, but that's probably just me.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

You don't tip in Japan.

Tips are baked into the cost in many places through 'otooshi'. Depending on how cheap the place/big the meal is, it can easily cost as much as a typical 10-20% tip.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah they may not have tips but they don't include tax and a lot of places have those annoying seating fees so your bill always seems wrong.

I now understand why people find that stuff so annoying in the US.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah, for a study abroad, definitely get a real phone number. Usually, all of the phone companies offer an equivalent of a cheap plan for students, which will be really cheap; you will want the phone number for sure for friends and things.

To register a phone plan with a real number, you will probably need a bank account. To get a bank account (I'm not sure about this since the process may have changed --- i'm old), you will probably need to register at the ward office first, and they will give a form indicating that they are processing residence, which you need to give to the bank.

But yeah the rest the school will mostly help tell you.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
And for real, if you aren't Japanese, do not underestimate culture shock. It's probably not going to really happen your first month or so, but will build up slowly, and is normal and happens.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You can do what you want, tipping isn’t customary but if you’re not from a place and want to do something different that isn’t harmful then gently caress it, tip.

People will probably literally not understand why you’re leaving money or trying to give them money and it will be embarrassing and annoying for everyone involved unless you’re able to explain yourself in Japanese.

Don’t tip. If it’s a nice place where you’re getting the kind of personalized service that would call for it there’s probably already a service charge as well. Trying to force dumbshit time-wasting customs down someone’s throat in their own drat country is loving annoying and is actually actively disruptive and if you want to import stupid loving American habits then please do everyone a favor and stay the gently caress wherever you’re from thanks.

ntan1 posted:

Yeah, for a study abroad, definitely get a real phone number. Usually, all of the phone companies offer an equivalent of a cheap plan for students, which will be really cheap; you will want the phone number for sure for friends and things.

To register a phone plan with a real number, you will probably need a bank account. To get a bank account (I'm not sure about this since the process may have changed --- i'm old), you will probably need to register at the ward office first, and they will give a form indicating that they are processing residence, which you need to give to the bank.

But yeah the rest the school will mostly help tell you.

You’d maybe need a bank account for one of the big 3 service providers but you’re already loving up if you’re going there anyway. The MNVO I linked gives you a number and unmetered data for literally half of what you’d get from one of those places with minimal hassle and great English support and all you should need is a credit card.

Yeah, I'll be taking SILS classes for the most part - primarily gen ed stuff, but I also need to take a few classes related to my major. I'll probably join the LINE group once I know if I can use my current phone in Japan.

Whatever your major is be prepared for the classes to suck. Try to see if you can find some non-dumbass students quickly (this could be a feat at SILS) and ask who the decent professors are.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

harperdc posted:

from the last page but

Go gently caress yourself.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
yeah what LimburgLimbo said is probably more up to date these days.

And second on your classes are going to suck. gently caress, Saturday classes were the worst.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you want to import an American custom how about soap in the toilet room so you can wash your hands properly in the lil tank refill sink. It's a great idea but there's never any loving soap. :argh:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

Getting a 7 day JR Pass... Sept 24 we're going from Tokyo to Hakone, then the next day we're going to Kyoto. We'll be staying in Kyoto until the 1st where we'll then go back to Tokyo for a night. While we're in Kyoto we'll do day trips to Nara and Osaka. It would probably make the most sense to activate the JR Pass on the 25th, right? Then maybe the Hakone Free Pass for when we're in Hakone since we'll need to take a bus to get to our Ryokan.

Only a few major stations can exchange the JR Pass voucher, so redeem it in Tokyo, but set the date for your departure from Hakone.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Shouldn’t the school have some sort of orientation day to set you up with a phone and bank account!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

Shouldn’t the school have some sort of orientation day to set you up with a phone and bank account!

lol

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Tipping isn't unheard of in Japan, check out the 心付け culture at ryokans. It's also pretty common for regulars to also buy a drink for the bartender when they order their first drink.

Also for weddings the parents give out plenty of tips to the various vendors and people involved in putting it on.

But yeah none of that has to do with gaijin eating at a regular restaurant or izakaya.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 10, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I want Japan to import the concept of trash cans in public spaces.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

Isn't that just 7-11?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

Tipping isn't unheard of in Japan, check out the 心付け culture at ryokans. It's also pretty common for regulars to also buy a drink for the bartender when they order their first drink.

I do this at my local sushi bar in the US (regular, have a keep).

For ryokans, it's really only done when asking for something extra and is supposed to only happen at the beginning of your stay, not the end.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
I'm from Canada. Is there anything that is especially inexpensive to buy in Japan and bring back? I'm thinking about picking up at least a chef's knife.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Washlets.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Definitely get a washlet. It's a game changer.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Not necessary to buy Japanese knives in a store in Tokyo, instead find out what you want a buy it from https://www.chefknivestogo.com/

same with a washlet. Just get it direct from toto

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 10, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ridiculous kit kat flavors, ninja boots.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

Not necessary to buy Japanese knives in a store in Tokyo, instead find out what you want a buy it from https://www.chefknivestogo.com/

I use Tsukiji Masamoto knives and the website that carries them outside of Japan has like a 2-300% markup.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Which? chefknivestogo has their standard stainless line and a couple of others at very little markup. Sure tsukiji has a better selection, but do most people really need special fish knives?

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
I’m lobbying my girlfriend for a wash let now.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

There used to be public trans cans before the aum attack, I was told.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Which? chefknivestogo has their standard stainless line and a couple of others at very little markup. Sure tsukiji has a better selection, but do most people really need special fish knives?

They also sell a bunch of knives and they make pretty good souvenirs. I just have stringent help me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
konbini trash cans - sure there is a sign that says "do not put trash from home into these trash cans", but this is when pretending you don't know Japanese has its merits.