Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Heir03 posted:

Also I'm really curious what was picked up but not mentioned in the last post.

It was the note from the 22 dwellers about the vengeful spirit, right? We discovered their camp last update but skipped over it on our way to our spirit quest, so this update we read what we picked up there.

e: I think the quote "We also return to the Vault 22 Dwellers’ camp to pick up something I intentionally skip over." should have read "skipped over", maybe.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

eating only apples posted:

It was the note from the 22 dwellers about the vengeful spirit, right? We discovered their camp last update but skipped over it on our way to our spirit quest, so this update we read what we picked up there.

Ah, makes sense. I didn't pick up on that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Given the origins of the "res" language, the abusive environment implied, and the other concepts discussed in the DLC, my guess would be that the School was one of these. If so, this definitely puts the depiction of other elements of the DLC in a different light.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ohh, so the Dead Horses might've come from a reservation, but the Sorrows came from a residential school. That would explain why they all refer to their origin as "the Res." That makes a lot of sense.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any hints at all as to why the Vault 22 survivors turned into a violent cannibal rape cult? Was it the spore disease?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

Are there any hints at all as to why the Vault 22 survivors turned into a violent cannibal rape cult? Was it the spore disease?

there is a section of Zion that has spore carriers and giant venus fly traps

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That just explains why they were coughing, which we already knew. It doesn't explain why they were psychos.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They have to do something to survive, it's the Wasteland.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Could have been one of the vaults where one gender was proportionately greater than the other(and Vault-Tec chemically enforced this). Add to that a limited food supply and bam: cannibal Vault-Dwellers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Moon Slayer posted:

That just explains why they were coughing, which we already knew. It doesn't explain why they were psychos.

Vault-tec: where inhumanity isn't just encouraged- it's mandatory!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Discendo Vox posted:

Given the origins of the "res" language, the abusive environment implied, and the other concepts discussed in the DLC, my guess would be that the School was one of these. If so, this definitely puts the depiction of other elements of the DLC in a different light.

I somehow never made this connection even though I'm native and my grandfather was sent to a residential school.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RickVoid posted:

Could have been one of the vaults where one gender was proportionately greater than the other(and Vault-Tec chemically enforced this). Add to that a limited food supply and bam: cannibal Vault-Dwellers.

I dont remember if Vault 22 was covered in its entirety (and I understand if not the place is so loving tedious) but:
Vault 22 was not a social experiment vault, but an agricultural one. In the vault were scientists working on self-sufficiency to supply food for the vault inhabitants, with the help of a Big MT supplied fungus which attacks pests by infecting their nervous systems and altering their behaviour, which then mutated to infect humans.

Which Answers:

Moon Slayer posted:

Since real-life Cordyceps fungi are known to radically alter the behaviour of their host insects, such as making them seek out high ground for when the fungus is ready to spawn and spread its spores, difference being that this kills the insect, while in NV the fungus continues to animate the corpse.

For a less spoilery hint: Think The Last of Us.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 10, 2018

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Right, I forgot that the Dwellers that made it to Zion were also the Dwellers from the Plant Vault.

I guess the whole lovely treatment of women thing was just business as usual. Sigh.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I somehow never made this connection even though I'm native and my grandfather was sent to a residential school.

I want to emphasize that this is a guess, entirely of my own making. I can find the idea nowhere else online, at all!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
It makes a lot of sense though, and with how rushed the DLC was it seems like one of those things that would have been fleshed out or referenced elsewhere had they had more time.

With a month dev time whoever wrote the terminal entries might not have even had time to tell other writers on the team what they were talking about and if they wanted it to be important.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im fine with it not being mentioned anywhere else. You dont have to see everything thats mentioned off hand, as long as it doesnt sound too exciting, that is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sometimes things being subtle enough that you need someone else to point them out only makes them all the more fascinating.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And WC is so adamant about us not going into the sacred place that there must be some good poo poo in there.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
We are approaching dangerous levels of my glorified fanfic. Sorry in advance.

Chapter 56: Sun Vulture and the Honest Hearts

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 10, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well, if it's fanfic, it's good fanfic. :v:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Excellent way to move through the back part of Honest Hearts - which is honestly mostly just a boring slugfest at that point.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Hate to be that guy but there's a 'could care less' in there that should be 'couldn't care less.'

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Keep the puns coming and you can get as fanfictiony as you want.

It'd still probably be better than most of what I read back in the day.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

PurpleXVI posted:

Not an emptyquote, just thinking the same thing. :v:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Mummified Mormon of Murder is my new favorite honorific.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You took Sneering Imperialist just so you could say that line at the end, didn't you.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Nice to see Obsidian go back to the tried and true NWN2 ending.

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Thanks for playing through this, I never had the patience to play through any of the Fallout DLC despite owning them all.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I remember, Joshua is the toughest NPC in the game. There might be one or two around his level that I shall not spoil, but his stats are insane. He can and will take out that final mission on his own with nary a care.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

As I remember, Joshua is the toughest NPC in the game. There might be one or two around his level that I shall not spoil, but his stats are insane. He can and will take out that final mission on his own with nary a care.

So, he actually has 50 DT from his unique armor alone. The stuff he wears provides 40 DT from his suit and 10 DT from his head wraps. Sadly, you cannot wear the latter, not even if you manage to spawn it with console commands.

Jew it to it! posted:

Nice to see Obsidian go back to the tried and true NWN2 ending.

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Thanks for playing through this, I never had the patience to play through any of the Fallout DLC despite owning them all.

Hey, I love doing it! And yeah, even though the writing is top-notch, the combat is hard to drudge through. One of the reasons I’m doing this!

aniviron posted:

You took Sneering Imperialist just so you could say that line at the end, didn't you.

:allears:

Erwin the German posted:

Mummified Mormon of Murder is my new favorite honorific.

I think long and hard about these. Gotta make them memorable.

Podima posted:

Excellent way to move through the back part of Honest Hearts - which is honestly mostly just a boring slugfest at that point.

It worked out, since there isn’t a whole lot of content in HH. Did my best!

PurpleXVI posted:

ShootaBoy posted:

Keep the puns coming and you can get as fanfictiony as you want.

It'd still probably be better than most of what I read back in the day.

Kemix posted:

Not an emptyquote, just thinking the same thing. :v:

:kiddo:

Oblique Angle posted:

Hate to be that guy but there's a 'could care less' in there that should be 'couldn't care less.'

Damnit! Hard to proofread poo poo when I’m my own editor. Thanks, fixed!

Don’t hesitate to correct me, either! Only way I learn.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

aniviron posted:

Also without that your options are really quite stupid. It doesn't let you execute him and forces you to give him the chance to kill you first? Really?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure the "Let me talk to Joshua" option has a path where he convinces you to let him put a bullet in the guy. Either that or the Sneering Imperialist speech option replaces a less racist "go ahead, kill the fucker" option.

I think letting Salt-Upon-Wounds fight also leads to a happier ending for Joshua and the tribes, at least based on the text of what I've seen. Looking forward to seeing what it actually changes.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
You chose the opposite paths for the two companions than the ones I do, and that's interesting. I'm not sure I've ever even seen Cloud's ending slide if you go that way.

I usually let Salt Upon Wounds live, too. Seems to work out better for Josh in my mind.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I agree that letting Salt Upon Wounds live leads to a better ending, but I don't think it would have been the Sun Vulture way.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I think Daniel is an interesting character, actually. Not because I agree with his conclusions or decisions, but because he seems like such a stranger in the Fallout universe. He is willing to sacrifice everything to protect the "innocence" of the Sorrows, which is a very curious motivation to find in a game like this. Selfless and noble on some level, but also flawed in many ways that he either brushes off or is just unaware of. He's also a good bit more selfish than he realizes, which is an extremely human flaw. I dunno, I think he's well-written. Probably wouldn't want to hang out with him, though.

It also doesn't help his case that Joshua Graham is much more charismatic and has the badass repentant warrior-priest thing going for him.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

No one can really win an argument against someone voiced by Keith Szarabajka. Poor Daniel.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Daniel has good intentions but he's wrong. The Sorrows aren't innocent, they're unprepared. They hunt and fight all the time, they just don't know how to do it against other humans, and it's getting them killed.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

"I must protect their innocence."

"Don't they hunt and maim Yao Guai for their hands to make guantl-"

"THEIR INNOCENCE!!!"

Daniel probably would've been better written if they had more time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm down with you actually doing the main quest finally

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

aniviron posted:

I agree that letting Salt Upon Wounds live leads to a better ending, but I don't think it would have been the Sun Vulture way.

The official Sun Vulture way is a dish called Salt Upon Long Pork :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

And here... we... go. The beginning of the end.

Chapter 57: Sun Vulture and the Strip Search

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 10, 2019