Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Normally, Spider-man does the batman thing where you can't actually kill people. When people are knocked off buildings, they will just get webbed to the side of it. However, if you knock somebody far enough, this won't happen.
https://twitter.com/The_Raised/status/1038236273960472576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You can't save em all

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Normally, Spider-man does the batman thing where you can't actually kill people. When people are knocked off buildings, they will just get webbed to the side of it. However, if you knock somebody far enough, this won't happen.
https://twitter.com/The_Raised/status/1038236273960472576

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Not really a glitch but definitely an oversight

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1038317456044052480

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's neither, just a side-effect of the technique they're using called Interior Mapping. There's no actual geometry behind those windows, it's just fancy camera tricks, projecting textures in a certain way. Think of it like each window acting like a TV screen.

The building geometry is all very simple, but due to the limitations of the technique and the way the whole camera-based visual trick works, it only works from one angle. They don't want each side of the building to look the same (which is the entire point behind the trick in the first place) so they assign a different projected texture series to the other side of the building, which is why it's a completely different room on the corners, because there's nothing actually there. They probably figured it was worth that weird disconnect in order to get the illusion of fully-realized interiors on the buildings you're swinging buy constantly and I'd agree!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

It's neither, just a side-effect of the technique they're using called Interior Mapping. There's no actual geometry behind those windows, it's just fancy camera tricks, projecting textures in a certain way. Think of it like each window acting like a TV screen.

The building geometry is all very simple, but due to the limitations of the technique and the way the whole camera-based visual trick works, it only works from one angle. They don't want each side of the building to look the same (which is the entire point behind the trick in the first place) so they assign a different projected texture series to the other side of the building, which is why it's a completely different room on the corners, because there's nothing actually there. They probably figured it was worth that weird disconnect in order to get the illusion of fully-realized interiors on the buildings you're swinging buy constantly and I'd agree!

Still an oversight - there's no reason you have to have every single window use identical setups.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Tunicate posted:

Still an oversight - there's no reason you have to have every single window use identical setups.

The reason is you're trying to do it cheap without having to load more textures into memory. There are more interior windows than windows on edges, so you wouldn't want to not include doors.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Also the interior being used has a door leading directly outside at like 10 stories up. Watch out for that first step...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
For what we know, this could be another Spider-Someone's apartment, which would make the door being over a 10 story drop logical :v:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That's pretty neat. Just work it into the Spider-Man lore.

Or... It was all a dream.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

Also the interior being used has a door leading directly outside at like 10 stories up. Watch out for that first step...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzWmhqOrIyU&t=5s

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spongeh posted:

The reason is you're trying to do it cheap without having to load more textures into memory. There are more interior windows than windows on edges, so you wouldn't want to not include doors.

You just use a texture atlas - it's a solved problem even in the original paper.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah there are ways around it if you put in some more work, it's just that "Oversight" and "Glitch" imply that effect is accidental, when it could just be something they didn't feel like doing or chose not to do for whatever reason. It's still pretty weird though and it's hopefully something they touch on later, the team seems pretty proud of the other tech they put in the game like some of their 4K rendering tricks.

e: I'm being pedantic though I guess, I just wanted to talk about that cool poo poo since I live for crazy data saving/optimization tricks in video games

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Sep 9, 2018

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
That’s a super cool paper, ty for linking!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I remember seeing that very same interior mapping demo when it was new and I was wondering if it would ever catch on. I think it's a really good effect even if it isn't perfect; it's a good way of faking a decent look without a lot of added work put on the artists and without added polygons since the whole thing is a fragment shader effect and not a function of geometry.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A Hat in Time uses it too, for all the buildings around Mafia Town. Don't think there's any particularly funny looking ones though.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

VolticSurge posted:

So, the new Spider-Man game is out and is pretty stable, but has produced at least a couple gems. Quoting from the thread:

It's just staying true to the source...

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Io's a weird place

Inco has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Sep 9, 2018

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Inco posted:

Io's a weird place

Right

Left

My browser wasn't liking the img tags for some reason, but man, what is with the physics in that game? Between the jump pads and all of the out of bounds shenanigans, it seems like something kind of hinky is going on.

E: Changing the urls to not quote massive inline videos

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Bungie physics are odd and magical.

https://i.imgur.com/jnDKfAY.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/sLSlMrG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/nl9Ny8c.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/WbO3A5W.mp4

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Spider man is the glitchy game that keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/CupAhNoodle/status/1038184492685348865

BattleMaster posted:

I remember seeing that very same interior mapping demo when it was new and I was wondering if it would ever catch on. I think it's a really good effect even if it isn't perfect; it's a good way of faking a decent look without a lot of added work put on the artists and without added polygons since the whole thing is a fragment shader effect and not a function of geometry.

I've seen this interior mapping thing in a couple games and yeah it's a really cool technique. If it's an oversight it's one from the world design team and not the programming team.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Elfface posted:

Man that art is atrocious.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Don't make fun of Cerebral Palsy Spiderman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trying to make that face hurts my face.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's got a weird quality of like the artist was tracing from a very low quality photo and overcompensating with the shading

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

It's got a weird quality of like the artist was tracing from a very low quality photo and overcompensating with the shading
Comics art got real bad

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Comics are real bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Comics art got real bad

Oh, I dunno.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elfface posted:

what the gently caress is this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yestermoment posted:

Don't make fun of Cerebral Palsy Spiderman.

Peter Parkinsons

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

Peter Parkinsons

:discourse:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wait that's a print comic? As in people paid real money to have that on paper and to look at it and read it? :psyduck:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BattleMaster posted:

Wait that's a print comic? As in people paid real money to have that on paper and to look at it and read it? :psyduck:

For a while, the only editing the sonic comic got was one person with incredibly strange ideas on what a sonic comic should be.

Its never been a beacon of quality.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Sep 10, 2018

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For a while, the only editing the sonic comic got was one person with incredibly strange ideas on what a sonic comic should be.

Its never been a beacon of quality.
Ken Penders :allears:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Comics need artists who can churn out from 5-9 pictures a page, on about 30 pages, within a couple of weeks. And that's assuming you're only working on one book at a time. So it's going to tend to be bad because that's a LOT of art in a TINY amount of time, with no time to really plan out much, or fix a lot of mistakes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The rare people who can churn out shitloads of well drawn art every week are insanely good. If you ever want to feel inferior about your artistic ability, just watch Murata live stream.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tunicate posted:

The rare people who can churn out shitloads of well drawn art every week are insanely good. If you ever want to feel inferior about your artistic ability, just watch Murata live stream.

Murata is loving nuts. Eyeshield and the redrawn One Punch Man are probably the best drawn comics/manga out there.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Manga artists have it even worse, since most of them have to churn poo poo out once a week. I'm surprised they're not constantly dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Puppy Time posted:

Manga artists have it even worse, since most of them have to churn poo poo out once a week. I'm surprised they're not constantly dying.

PYF Forums Glitch: The derail OOB'd into BSS.

...although, yeah, I'm trying to make a living off of work that involves several dozen pages of pencil sketch pages each week and I can barely envision what the workflow is like for people who do inked or colored work on such an insane schedule. Some folks just operate on a higher plane.