Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kaiser Dragon does not gently caress around.

(still need to get mastery unfortunately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

With my third copy of Gladiolus OSB I think I've got enough +fire weapons to start combining two of them. (I also got Noctis GSB but slotting it next to his SSB will take some rethinking.)

T/0: Machina BSB
FFT: Mustadio USB
XV: Gladiolus OSB (dupe), Noctic GSB

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Iris USB! Woohoo! Probably not worth a Legend Dive but I'm happy for another instant cast healing USB.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Iris USB! Woohoo! Probably not worth a Legend Dive but I'm happy for another instant cast healing USB.

Double cast healers like Iris are usually worth a Legend Dive if you can even semi-justify it.

I've gotten nothing but supers, but at least none of them are dupes. Nine, Meliadoul, and Aranea.

Edit: Huh, I guess her doublecast comes from an LMR. I must've picked it up and forgotten. I retract my statement.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 10, 2018

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Current results:

T0: Rem USB :toot:
FFT: Dupe Mustadio SSB1
FF15: Noctis Glint

So far a pretty solid start.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sesq posted:

Double cast healers like Iris are usually worth a Legend Dive if you can even semi-justify it.

I've gotten nothing but supers, but at least none of them are dupes. Nine, Meliadoul, and Aranea.

Iris gets her doublecast from a LMR, so her dive is... iffy unless you need the stats.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Iris gets her doublecast from a LMR, so her dive is... iffy unless you need the stats.

Yeah this is what I meant. I have her LMR and BSB already so a half dive is probably the most I will consider doing unless I really need the extra stats and resistances at some point in the future.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Needing the stats is a perfectly valid reason to dive someone, especially for torments. Without a dive it's entirely possible for a healer to not have enough effective HP to survive some attacks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright! I beat Tiamat in 32s with the Raijin SSB strat. If I had more than a single Ice Boost item it would've been even faster.

e; and then beat Midgardsormr immediately after with the first half-assed team I thought of without farming Tiamat for Wind Boost. Alphinaud carries hard. Slow clear, but don't really care.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 10, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Iris USB is secretly loving great. It doesn't seem like much at first glance (aside from an 'oh poo poo' button with its revival/hastega traits) but then you realize that it gives her 15 seconds of TG Cid mode. Even without her dualcast LMR, she's easily the best healer I have with that and her BSB. (Deuce and Relm have a little more utility, but she's the nuclear option.)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Noctis GSB was the headliner but I also got the Gladiolus BSB! The Burst is probably a bigger deal for me because I really lack earth options and this will help a lot.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Realms on Parade!!!!

0: Deuce SSB
T: Orlandeau USB (dupe)

15: Ignis LMR

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Threw a 100 Gem at Banner 2 and get my third dupe Terra USB.

I'm not sure if I'm mad or not.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
0: Ace OSB (I have nothing else for him, and already have a fully dived stronk Terra so on t fence here).
T: Ovelia BSB. Nice to have some healer tech for this realm.
XV: Iris USB. Already got her BSB so maybe just maybe I'll start cycling her in and Selphie out for now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm trying to work out a brute-force solution for Kaiser Dragon via chain abuse. Doing so would ideally involve dumping a boatload of gauge to counteract the effective 1.5 million HP, and the fight does allow for some hit-and-run abuse. My likely teams at this point are either Snow/Josef/Squall for ice, Kain/Reks/Lightning for lightning, or Ramza/2 of WoL or Orlandeau or Beatrix for holy. And then on the side I have Aerith and a support BSB character - Faris, Quina, or Shelke. (The criteria here were to have both a chain and an ATK buff, as everyone needs a BSB at some point to deal with the mountain of HP and to grab the elemental/non-elemental damage combos.)
  • Should I try slow-rolling with BSB commands at the start, dumping SBs later? Or should I instead dump some SBs quickly at the start to then pull out abilities after the last barrier shift? Either way Aerith USB2 is around to speed up all those physical attacks.
  • I'm leaning towards ice or lightning teams - ice gets me Squall BSB2 and Snow BSB1's extra Last Stand, while lightning gets me an imperil and some extra chain help from Shelke BSB. Which team looks best here?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Managed to sub-30 Ixion with Galuf Chain and Tifa USB. Brick walled on Kraken; he's perfectly survivable, I just don't have the damage output.

My lightning output is basically Garnet BSB2. Prompto USB/BSB, Rapha BSB, Vivi BSB2, and that's it. I suppose I have Ashe's Glint? Bartz alone outdamages most of that with Stormspell. And he's still only doing 5k a hit.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Osb spam is a viable tactic for kraken, you wouldn’t happen to have Orleandu’s?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Avalerion posted:

Osb spam is a viable tactic for kraken, you wouldn’t happen to have Orleandu’s?

Nope. Nothing at all other than what I listed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh, I can carry my bismark tactic up to kraken? How delicious

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I just chucked about 80 redundant accessories into the vault lol

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering going through my vault and selling my 16 copies of Carnelian Rings.

b...b...but what if I need both +fire resist AND +15 attack????

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I got Iris's USB to go with her LMR, which I guess makes her one of my top healers. I also have USB's for Relm, Eiko, Ovelia, and Yuna so I'm not hurting for options. If nothing else, it will help a lot with XV content, and it's not a dupe like the last two realms were.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

Iris USB is secretly loving great. It doesn't seem like much at first glance (aside from an 'oh poo poo' button with its revival/hastega traits) but then you realize that it gives her 15 seconds of TG Cid mode. Even without her dualcast LMR, she's easily the best healer I have with that and her BSB. (Deuce and Relm have a little more utility, but she's the nuclear option.)

Hilariously, I always give my healers the TG Mode RM anyway but I will keep that in mind when I use her and maybe give the RM to someone else.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I thought it just makes her next (1) ability cast quick.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Okay, so! Livestream happened!
Will try to just sum it all up, but:

Q&A)
When will we get 6* Dark Matter?
They apologize, but at the time they introduced Reforging, they though they'd have 6* Dark Matter, but have since decided that's not the direction they want to go. No 6* Dark Matter.
Can all Dailies be fully opened on every Sunday or at least 1 day a week?
They'll adjust rates after 4th anniversary, probably (in response to viewer demand) making Greens more common.
Can we have more 6* abilities in the Ruby Shop?
They said not to be hasty, but they did guarantee that Chain Blizzaja is coming; they're just not sure when since they missed the window of "the ice abilities".

There was a vote for how many people wanted Full Throttle (the Jump Start dungeons) back - overwhelming majority said yes. They'll see about it.

New systems!

First up, the Magia Crystals.

Beginning the 12th, level 99 characters can earn experience points that go towards Magia levels - each level gives a point to spend on one of 12 crystals with 2 options per crystal per point. All the elemental crystals (Fire~Dark) can either increase the character's damage with the element or reduce damage taken from that element. The Power crystal boosts ATK and/or DEF. The Black crystal boosts MAG and/or RES. The White crystal boosts MND and/or HP.
You can reallocate all accumulated points on a character every 14 days. You can put 100 points in each side of each crystal (cap to be raised later).

Second, the Legendary Weapons!

So basically the gist of this is, there'll be a new menu option with 12 different chambers - one for each "common" weapon type - and within is a weapon of that type all 17 main realms (I-XV, Tactics, Type-0). You redeem a key (not explained how you get the keys) for a weapon. That weapon is an 8* relic that can be increased up to 50 levels - but to power it up, you need to use Rainbow Crystals. You can get Rainbow Crystals by exchanging relics and Rosetta Stones. There will be an option to automatically sell or redeem 1-4* relics for Rainbow Crystals as you acquire them. Now, what's special about these Legendary Weapons besides their level - they have OMNIBOOST (ALL ELEMENTS + NON-ELEMENTAL)... but only in realm synergy! And you can only have one copy per weapon type per realm, of course - no doubling up on V Swords.

The latest Record Keeper soundtrack will be on sale on the 26th.

On to the 4th Anniversary itself

There will be a boss event - History Institute "At the deepest area lies a Clown that heralds destruction"
There will be a mythril dungeon with a 30 mythril prize
There will be a ticket Orbfest - 5 tickets a day
There will be a Record Dungeon Special Selection

There will be a free Tyro AOSB, Shield of Light

There will be a Jump Rope minigame - get 40 jumps in a row to win equipment.
There will be a Full Open on Daily Dungeons during the anniversary

There will be special realm dungeons with missions

There will be Dimensional Shinryuu and Dimensional Omega: prize of a 6* Accessory with Moderate Fire/Ice/Water Resist
There will be a log-in present of 5* Spellblade: Freezing Quadstrike
There will be daily Twitter stamina refresh

There will be SIX (6) Dream Selects: BSB, Glint, LMR, OSB, AOSB, and USB

There will be a free 40-draw after solving this quiz!

And finally: a look at the new soul break type debuting this Anniversary:

Awakening Arcane Overstrike Soul Break

Tidus's Zanarkand Abes Uniform [AASB "Revived Dream", +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Water/NE ranged physical attacks, En-Water & Sharpshooter Awakening Mode to user
Sharpshooter Awakening Mode: Unlimited Sharpshooter Hones, Dualcast Sharpshooter, Sharpshooter Damage +30%, Damage Cap Raised to 19999, chases 3 Sharpshooter abilities with single-target Water/NE Overflow ranged physical attack

Hogama fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 11, 2018

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

NGDBSS posted:

I'm trying to work out a brute-force solution for Kaiser Dragon via chain abuse. Doing so would ideally involve dumping a boatload of gauge to counteract the effective 1.5 million HP,

[list][*]Should I try slow-rolling with BSB commands at the start, dumping SBs later?
kaiser does a barrier shift after 5 actions or taking 20% max HP damage (except the first one which happens after a 2-turn delay)

it heals back to full after a barrier shift

if you want to dps through the first 5 phases to possibly save yourself an incoming attack despite the counters, you do you i guess

Avalerion posted:

I thought it just makes her next (1) ability cast quick.

nope, the description really undersells it. 3x cast speed (red bar speed) for the next 15 seconds, stacking with pretty much everything. curadas in half a second rather than 1.5 seconds.

edit: VV without seeing the entry/chaser damage, it doesn't seem like huge powercreep. if anything it seems like it'll bring a lot of other characters on the level of tidus/yuffie USBs. it does seem a lot more fun than a normal osb/aosb, though, so props to that.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 10, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That new Tidus usb... :aaaaa: Though maybe they will cost 3 full sb bars to compensate for the powercreep?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LMAO by 2020 we'll have 8 letter SB acronyms.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hey girl you up posted:

kaiser does a barrier shift after 5 actions or taking 20% max HP damage (except the first one which happens after a 2-turn delay)

it heals back to full after a barrier shift

if you want to dps through the first 5 phases to possibly save yourself an incoming attack despite the counters, you do you i guess
I was initially considering riding out all those phases, since I'd seen the strategy discussions and AI dump before. But including the barrier shifts at global turns 3 + 6n Kaiser Dragon gets 27 actions, or nearly 65 seconds of in-game time. That's almost certainly messier on my end to tough out than to just bust through, since I don't have native Godwall. I do have regular SG...but it makes for a lot more resources tied up in all the disparate parts than to push for a quick clear.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

LMAO by 2020 we'll have 8 letter SB acronyms.

Awakening Arcane Ultra Burst Overstrike Super Soul Break

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSshP_iGZ0w
If seeing helps visualize the AAOSB more. (Tidus is using the 6* Sharpshooter ability in this.)

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Prav posted:

Unique Awakening Arcane Ultra Burst Overstrike Super Soul Break

FTFY

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Less of a power creep, more of a power triplejump

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

start saving your hoards

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Keep in mind that the gift of foresight also comes with the curse of foresight. If you always look ahead everything on the plate right now will always look weaker in comparison. Saving for half a year only to find out that what JP as at that point in time is even more powerful is a fool's game to play. Besides we have our own good stuff too. This week we have the incredibly hype "Quinoa" VIII banner. Why is it hyped up? First of all the pure value, it inexplicitly has five 6* relics instead of the four we're used to for events. The primary reason of course are the relics themselves as you could have a 14 6* banner with Greg USB1/Tyro OSB etc garbage relics and it wouldn't be exciting at all. Let's check it out.

Rinoa is the star of the show and this is when DeNA decided Rinoa should be able to compete with Locke and Bartz for the "most relics in game" trophy.
Rinoa in general is a top ice mage with a great black magic damage boosting legend dive slightly hindered by a weaker chance-for-QC3-with-BLK LM2. LM2 is still great if you don't have any casting speed increasers in party but with mages Allegro con Moto is always on the table and a lot of healers are packing some form of cast speed boosts. She gets a new ice Brave USB, an ice/earth ASB, init enice LMR, doublecast BLK LMR and a glint with BLK rank damage boost and high quick cast. A what USB? Braves are a new variation of USBs and are not supposed to be a new tier of power. Without going to much detail your attack gets replaced by a command that gains power when using certain abilities. With enough power you can activate it for a free OSB.

Brave USBs especially for mages are a bit of a mixed bag. Comparing to USB1 you have the same en-ice but instead of a magic boost you have straight up BLK damage boost and instead of the busted rank chase you have the brave mode overstrike cast. Buffing damage is better if your magic buffs are in order and the chase is obviously better with chains. But this wasn't supposed to be a comparison anyway, the SB is great and ice magic isn't that common. Excellent stuff for magicite and the realm torment.

ASB is a triple hit for ice.. and earth? Yes, Rinoa has to help earth with the problem DeNA created for themselves with 5* magicites being split to physical and magical and magical earth being an empty void with a confused lonely Maria in the middle. As was mentioned earlier Rinoa's legend dive boosts black magic damage and not just ice so there's no problem with the earth move. A huge relic for two magicites and the realm torment. 6* ice thrown weapon. This is the only relic on this banner that provides non-ice damage. In addition to ice damage of course.

Glint has a special effect that gives a 15 second high quick cast and a black magic rank boost. Yet another way to gain more cast speed for her. Combine with the init enice LMR and this is literally a USB for half the SB cost. You can have a usable off element Rinoa too with the glint and doublecast LMR. Excellent.

The LMRs are excellent. Both of them. Init ice is strong as hell with early damage or with glint and a doublecast is a double cast. Once again great relics for 5* magicite and torment.

Quistis finally gets some new stuff and a good legend dive.
A USB, Glint and a LMR. Gone is poison, if we acknowledge it even ever existed, and the teach becomes a realm support. She also finally gets a legend dive giving her init haste IC3 which is the best possible LM2 for a realm support.

USB gives the party haste, hp stock 2000 and a 30% atk/mag/res buff. Doesn't sound very exciting and admittably isn't but it's still a great relic for the D??? torment. If you don't care about the stupid torment it's fine as a third CT party buff or something.

Glint has a 30% stoneskin and proshellga. Once again something you'll want for the D??? torment because there aren't enough slots for all the WHT buffs. Not very good elsewhere.

LMR is doublecast BLK so once she's done supporting she can join the hurting. Nice to have but not very essential.

It should be noted that while Quistis seems less exciting than the other stuff she's an extremely valuable character for the D??? torment so either you'll love to have this stuff or it's worthless to you. Decide for yourself. At least she's no longer poison magic. Poison is not even an element.

Squall is a familiar face being a top tier ice spellblade.
He gets no new relics here but he's a top damage dealer with what he's got already. The recurring relics are USB2, BSB2, Glint and LMR.

USB2 is an evolution of his BSB2. Enice, atk boost and a chase that gains a bonus hit and bonus crit chance every time you attack with spellblades up to 8. The reason it is better than BSB2 is the strong initial damage from Snowspell Strike when the chase count is lower and the lack for needing a doublecast CMD1 to go off faster. A huge relic for magicite and torment. 6* ice sword.

BSB2 has been on every fest and VII banner for over a year and for a reason. It hits like a truck and saves you from honing SSS. Buildup power with CMD1 and let loose the dogs of war with CMD2. Excellent for magicite and torment.

Glint gives a enice with stacking and damage. Initially ridiculed and for a reason but gained a lot of value with the glint buff, introduction of his USB2 and bosses getting ridiculously resilient. Ice light armor. Great but Squall's no Cloud.

LMR is init enice and starting the fight hammering eniced Snowspells is great.

Laguna is an ice machinist with an excellent legend dive.
Doublecasting a six hit ability is a pretty big game for a chain holder. Dude gets no new relics either but we get his CSB and BSB2 on this banner.

CSB is a 2.0 chain giving the usual ice field buff, ramping chain effect and a 50% attack. Laguna is one of the best chain holders in the game with his ability access, relics and legend dive. Massive relic for magicite and very good for torment.

BSB2 is a filler hone saver bsb that serves as the 1/11 nutkick of the banner. Enice with cmd2 having machinist instant cast 2 which can be chained with a real ability to kind of save hones but it's just not worth it. At least it's somewhat serviceable.

So one big frost whammy after another with maybe Quistis slowing things down if you don't care for the torment.
I highly recommend pulling on this banner.

But... as always seems to be the case with VIII we should look at the next incredibly similar banner. The next event that should be around Christmas is the exact same except:

Instead of Squall's USB2 it has his ASB.
Instead of Quistis' LMR it has Selphie's USB2.
Instead of Squall's BSB2 it has Selphie's BSB2.
Instead of Laguna's BSB2 it has his LMR.

Ignoring dupes the big gain is a healer USB on the same banner. Loss of Squall BSB2 is rough but it's a fairly common dupe for most players. Squall's 6* swap is a wash. If you have the BSB2 it's better to have BSB2+ASB instead of BSB2 and USB2. Laguna's LMR is imperil ice proc and works great for him.

Well, all I can say is that if you can't beat 4* magicites I absolutely would not wait for that banner and if you only care about 5* magicites the wind one should be released approximately at the same time as that later VII banner. The VIII torment, however, is going to be released this week and Christmas is far away if that unmastered 240 torment will haunt your dreams every night.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I was gonna pull anyway for the Laguna chain since Ice is the last chain I'm missing but you know, a lot of that Quistis stuff is mighty tempting.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

hey girl you up posted:

edit: VV without seeing the entry/chaser damage, it doesn't seem like huge powercreep. if anything it seems like it'll bring a lot of other characters on the level of tidus/yuffie USBs. it does seem a lot more fun than a normal osb/aosb, though, so props to that.

It's definitely massive power creep. For reference, assuming you've got a decent chain going, Tidus will be able to do between an average of 117k to 235k damage per turn (depending on whether you can hit the 19,999 damage cap, which you should with some effort) with Sapphire Blitz and his full LD, before counting the chase. And he won't use any hones doing it.

So, a normal DPS USB has entry damage and three effects. For example Ysayle's USB is damage, self MAG/RES +30% (effect 1), attach ice (effect 2), and a chase (effect 3). Cloud's USB1 is damage, 100% crit (effect 1), EX Mode: SOLDIER (+30% phys damage and break damage limit, effects 2 and 3). Etc.

Tidus's AASB is damage and five effects. Damage, attach water (effect 1), Sharpshooter Awakening Mode: unlimited sharpshooter uses (effect 2), 100% doublecast sharpshooter (effect 2), sharpshooter damage +30% (effect 3), damage cap break 1 (effect 4), chase (effect 5). And two of those five effects are the most powerful in the game -- damage cap increase and unlimited guaranteed doublecast. People pull for Cloud's USB1 because break damage limit is absurd, people pull for TGCid/Gau/DKCecil/Jack/Vivi/Maria/Palom's USBs because 100% doublecast is absurd.

Hogama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSshP_iGZ0w
If seeing helps visualize the AAOSB more. (Tidus is using the 6* Sharpshooter ability in this.)

FWIW there's no "O" in there. The entry doesn't deal overflow damage, just the chase. If we added O to all the USBs with chase/finisher/command overflows it'd get very confusing in Japan where AOSBs are actually UOSBs.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 10, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Makes me wonder what content this is meant for - JP is already beating 5* magicites and neo torments, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Avalerion posted:

Makes me wonder what content this is meant for - JP is already beating 5* magicites and neo torments, right?

A lot of JP isn't. Especially neo torments. I was a pretty fat dolphin in JP and I can't beat Syldra or the vast majority of d??? neo torments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Been hype for this banner for a good while since Ice is one of my weakest elements.