Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Are there Ranger builds that aren't terrible? My wife wants to make one, but I've heard nothing but bad things about 5e rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Funzo posted:

Are there Ranger builds that aren't terrible? My wife wants to make one, but I've heard nothing but bad things about 5e rangers.

A few. Of note is Gloomstalker being so strong and fun it makes up for how badly designed the base Ranger chassis is.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

If the effect mentions "instantaneous" then the effect has no duration. It just happens and that's it. So the cleaning is done in an instant, and then the magic is done. When an hour passes it won't get suddenly dirty again, nor will the item magically repel dirt for the coming hour.

Looking forward to learning via twitter that the logical reading and common sense interpretation of the intent of the wording which was adapted to the meanest of understandings and obvious to even the most dim witted baby is that it instantaneously starts cleaning something but it takes up to an hour to complete that cleaning, during which time you cannot make attacks or cast other spells.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Funzo posted:

Elaborating further now that I'm done with dinner...

The about most effective thing you can do is going Gloom Stalker and taking Sharpshooter - GS gets easy advantage from being in the dark, letting you negate the sharpshooter accuracy penalty for quite an impressive damage output, and although I nominally consider ranged combat boring (though effective), there's some spice added in here by way of being mindful of positioning to get that sweet invisibility advantage. Variants to this are going with a race with darkvision so you can altogether stand out of vision range (yours would be 90 while most things have 60ft darkvision/blindsight), elves which can pick up Elven Accuracy to roll an extra d20 on advantage, and taking up Crossbow Expert with a Hand Crossbow due to its synergy with Sharpshooter (bonus action attack, and ignoring the normally limited effective range).

Melee is more fun. Go 16 str, 14 dex, 16 constitution, pack medium armor and a shield and a quarterstaff with the dueling fighting style, grab Polearm Master, and you're an incredibly offensive force with high AC that is also invisible in the dark for all that sweet sweet advantage on attacks and enemy disadvantage to get attacked. Alternatively, go variant human 10 14 16 physical with 16 wisdom, grab Magic Initiate: Druid for your bonus feat and take the Shillelagh cantrip, so now you're fully Wisdom based since it turns your QS into a 1d8 magical weapon that keys off Wisdom. Did I mention Gloomstalkers get WIS mod to initative rolls?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

Looking forward to learning via twitter that the logical reading and common sense interpretation of the intent of the wording which was adapted to the meanest of understandings and obvious to even the most dim witted baby is that it instantaneously starts cleaning something but it takes up to an hour to complete that cleaning, during which time you cannot make attacks or cast other spells.

it depends on what your definition of "is" is

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

it depends on what your definition of "is" is

Thanks Mr President

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Unrelated: I always hate when people use that as the ur-example of pedantry, when it was a perfectly reasonable answer to the question he was asked in the context of giving a legal deposition.

It's up there with McDonald's hot coffee and Al Gore inventing the internet in terms of "example that probably means the opposite of what you think it means".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The real question that confuses me, how is Volo still alive, is he immortal or something? Also how is he still putting out books on new topics, didn't he cover all the monsters in the world after the Time of Troubles? Also more importantly, how the gently caress is he still a low level adventurer. Having him show up and give you the quest that triggers off the adventure may be the most Forgotten Realms trash I've ever seen and is like the big textbook example of why I avoid it like the plague. I'm sure there is cool stuff in the setting but man is that a lame way to sell it.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

[citation needed]

Murder in Baldur's gate. Legends of Baldur's Gate, Shadows of the Vampire, and Frost Giant's Fury comic series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Murder in Baldur's gate. Legends of Baldur's Gate, Shadows of the Vampire, and Frost Giant's Fury comic series.

Do you have an image or something? A comic even I haven't read isn't "proof" that video games matter over a novel.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but like insane super stuff happened in Baldur's Gate video games that seemingly contradict the Murder in Baldur's Gate stuff. Like Bhaal should already exist and be the player character or that seat in pantheon should just be destroyed and gone for good. So Bhaal returning fundamentally contradicts the video games. The current lord of murder should be the former paladin Max Hardrod if the video games are canon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

The real question that confuses me, how is Volo still alive, is he immortal or something? Also how is he still putting out books on new topics, didn't he cover all the monsters in the world after the Time of Troubles? Also more importantly, how the gently caress is he still a low level adventurer. Having him show up and give you the quest that triggers off the adventure may be the most Forgotten Realms trash I've ever seen and is like the big textbook example of why I avoid it like the plague. I'm sure there is cool stuff in the setting but man is that a lame way to sell it.

He was trapped in magical stasis according to Ed Greenwood.

Also Volo is not an adventurer by the normal term. He knows a few spells that can keep him alive (disguise self and friends mainly) and is a decent talker. but other then that he can't fight for poo poo. And never has been able to.

Volo's books were generally not on monsters, but on locations. Here are all of Volo's know books.

FR Wiki posted:

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical
First notable work. Written c. 1356 DR with a reprint (with the help of Elminster) published in 1367 DR.
Volo's Guide to the Bloodstone Lands
Unreleased. Written between 1360 - 1362 DR.
Volo's Guide to Calimport
Notes and a copy of an old draft can be found in Candlekeep, all final drafts were destroyed by Calishite pashas or Rundeen agents. Written between 1364 - 1365 DR.
Volo's Guide to Cormyr
Written between 1367 - 1368 DR.
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands
Written between 1368 - 1369 DR.
Volo's Guide to the Lands of Intrigue
Written in 1369 DR with an abridged version (which was much more widely distributed) released by Elminster the next year.
Volo's Guide to the Moonsea
Unreleased. Extant copies were suppressed by the Zhentarim. Written between 1357 - 1358 DR.
Volo's Guide to the North
Written between 1365 - 1366 DR.
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
Written between 1366 - 1367 DR.
Volo's Guide to the Vast
Unreleased. Original is owned by a resident of Raven's Bluff. Written between 1358 - 1360 DR.
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
Written between 1363 - 1365 DR.
Volo's Guide to Westgate & the Dragon Coast
Commissioned work. Original is held by a noble of Yhaunn. Written between 1362 - 1363 DR.
Volo's Complete Guide to the Behaviour of Nymphs
A work mentioned briefly in Storm of Zehir. Volo reluctantly agreed not to publish it after Elminster deemed it 'too naughty'.
Volo's Guide to Monsters
A treatise on monster lore, with annotations and comments by Elminster. Sometime in the late 1480s or early 1490s DR

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Yeah but like insane super stuff happened in Baldur's Gate video games that seemingly contradict the Murder in Baldur's Gate stuff. Like Bhaal should already exist and be the player character or that seat in pantheon should just be destroyed and gone for good. So Bhaal returning fundamentally contradicts the video games. The current lord of murder should be the former paladin Max Hardrod if the video games are canon.

Yeah I know. There is a canon version of events that happened in the game. And that version is canon rather the novels based on it. As that novel stuff is contradicted even harder.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I know. There is a canon version of events that happened in the game. And that version is canon rather the novels based on it. As that novel stuff is contradicted even harder.

Right so whats the canon events, that the PC just got bored and never finished the game? Cause that series ends with you either destroying the position forever or taking it yourself and becoming a god.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was trapped in magical stasis according to Ed Greenwood.

Also Volo is not an adventurer by the normal term. He knows a few spells that can keep him alive (disguise self and friends mainly) and is a decent talker. but other then that he can't fight for poo poo. And never has been able to.

Volo's books were generally not on monsters, but on locations. Here are all of Volo's know books.

For how long? Like did he freeze up before Mystara died one of those times and come back just now? Forgive me for getting his work history correct, I guess loving Volo's Guide to Monsters is written by that other Volo, the one in who keeps posting on Neverwinter forums about how everything is fine and the spellplague didn't happen.

Actually for real if hes focused on locations and history, why has he not focused on the spell plague if hes just popped into the timeline again. You know, the event that scarred the forgotten realms on a massive scale. You think he'd be more concerned with catching up with all the damage that did than these minor events going around. I'm pretty sure Luskan doesn't exist anymore as a functional nation and thats just up from Neverwinter. Maybe check out that meteor that crashed into the planet bringing a new species into the setting, idk.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Do you have an image or something? A comic even I haven't read isn't "proof" that video games matter over a novel.

The fact that Minsc looks like this and is not a red haired bartender, Along with the fact that everyone died in the novels and he is still alive here.

It also references events that happen in the games but not in the novel. (Neera for example a companion in Baldur's Gate EE who did not exist prior to it.) The fact that Coran who does not even appear in the books is in both Murder in Baldur's gate and the Comic, and it's stated in both he traveled with Abdel for a time.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact that Minsc looks like this and is not a red haired bartender, Along with the fact that everyone died in the novels and he is still alive here.

It also references events that happen in the games but not in the novel. (Neera for example a companion in Baldur's Gate EE who did not exist prior to it.) The fact that Coran who does not even appear in the books is in both Murder in Baldur's gate and the Comic, and it's stated in both he traveled with Abdel for a time.

Isn't that a statue of Minsc that comes to life though? Why would it know anything that happened exactly. Like Minsc went up and got accepted into the Ice Troll (i think it was this one?) Beserker lodge of Rashaman despite loving up his initiation quest of protecting his witch. I'm not sure any of the fake Minsc is reliable narration?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Right so whats the canon events, that the PC just got bored and never finished the game? Cause that series ends with you either destroying the position forever or taking it yourself and becoming a god.

The Warrior Abdel got the good ending and was thought to have destroyed Bhaal forever and he went to become a Duke of Baldur's gate. However it did not work cause he was not actually the last Bhaalspawn. Viekang a Bhaalspawn in the games that teleported randomly when he got frightened, also survived. And in Murder in Baldur's gate Viekang attacks him and as a result of one of their deaths, the other them becomes the Slayers and revives Bhaal like his plan was years ago.

kingcom posted:

Isn't that a statue of Minsc that comes to life though? Why would it know anything that happened exactly. Like Minsc went up and got accepted into the Ice Troll (i think it was this one?) Beserker lodge of Rashaman despite loving up his initiation quest of protecting his witch. I'm not sure any of the fake Minsc is reliable narration?

It was the actual Minsc that was petrified. Plus Coran still exists and he is (Somewhat) reliable.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 10, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Warrior Abdel got the good ending and was thought to have destroyed Bhaal forever and he went to become a Duke of Baldur's gate. However it did not work cause he was not actually the last Bhaalspawn. Viekang a Bhaalspawn in the games that teleported randomly when he got frightened, also survived. And in Murder in Baldur's gate Viekang attacks him and as a result of one of their deaths, the other them becomes the Slayers and revives Bhaal like his plan was years ago.

Wait so the Solar was just loving with you? Cyric was loving with you too and he actually had no reason to even think about you being a god? Also the villains plan who had orchestrated everything like this and was about to become a goddess was just wrong about everything? That seems like it actively contradict everything. Like the entire Throne of Bhaal game, is now about everyone and everything being wrong. That seems comically contradictory.

EDIT: Extremely cool that the narrator is now actively lying to you. A+

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was the actual Minsc that was petrified.

Wut? So Minsc doesn't return to Rashaman? Or does he leave then come back and get taken out by the first Basilisk he runs into?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

For how long? Like did he freeze up before Mystara died one of those times and come back just now? Forgive me for getting his work history correct, I guess loving Volo's Guide to Monsters is written by that other Volo, the one in who keeps posting on Neverwinter forums about how everything is fine and the spellplague didn't happen.

Actually for real if hes focused on locations and history, why has he not focused on the spell plague if hes just popped into the timeline again. You know, the event that scarred the forgotten realms on a massive scale. You think he'd be more concerned with catching up with all the damage that did than these minor events going around. I'm pretty sure Luskan doesn't exist anymore as a functional nation and thats just up from Neverwinter. Maybe check out that meteor that crashed into the planet bringing a new species into the setting, idk.

Mystara put him into stasis according to Greenwood. (Though he thinks it was just some spellcaster he offended for some reason.) And he does not think the spellplauge happened along with some other things cause "Sometimes, keeping Volo ignorant of things is best for the Realms. ;}"

Also Luskan is a quasi functional nation. It's just ruled by a Drow Mercenary and the pirates under him. And as stated in the new book is trying to gain membership in the Lords' Alliance.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mystara put him into stasis according to Greenwood. (Though he thinks it was just some spellcaster he offended for some reason.) And he does not think the spellplauge happened along with some other things cause "Sometimes, keeping Volo ignorant of things is best for the Realms. ;}"

Also Luskan is a quasi functional nation. It's just ruled by a Drow Mercenary and the pirates under him. And as stated in the new book is trying to gain membership in the Lords' Alliance.

Wait wait, Volo doesn't know the Spellplague happened? How is that even possible, the pantheon shuffled. The list of catestrophic events are so numerous he doesn't ask what happened. Is this real. Are you taking the piss? God this is loving hot garbage.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

How can you just... not believe the Spellplague happened? There were huge and sweeping changes throughout the Realms. Is Volo stupid?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Darwinism posted:

How can you just... not believe the Spellplague happened? There were huge and sweeping changes throughout the Realms. Is Volo stupid?

Volo is genuinely the dumbest character in all settings ever. He's a historian that believed World War 1 didn't happen but has written multiple books on World War 2.

EDIT: Actually he doesn't believe it happened, so all the death and change and mutations he doesn't believe in. Hes a Fox News correspondent. Spellplague is Fake News.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Wait so the Solar was just loving with you? Cyric was loving with you too and he actually had no reason to even think about you being a god? Also the villains plan who had orchestrated everything like this and was about to become a goddess was just wrong about everything? That seems like it actively contradict everything. Like the entire Throne of Bhaal game, is now about everyone and everything being wrong. That seems comically contradictory.

EDIT: Extremely cool that the narrator is now actively lying to you. A+

Wut? So Minsc doesn't return to Rashaman? Or does he leave then come back and get taken out by the first Basilisk he runs into?

Viekang was an oddity, cause he was a pretty much an active plot hole in Throne of Bhaal. Cause he always survived yet the game acted as though he did not. So yes the Solar and Cyric and the Narrator were all wrong. I think Murder in Baldur's gate states it's because Viekang was immune to all Divination, thus everyone just missed him. It's a retcon to cover a plot hole the game made.

For Minsc he did go back to Rashaman. Then he decided to visit the Sword Coast again one day and was petrified by something from my understanding.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Volo is genuinely the dumbest character in all settings ever. He's a historian that believed World War 1 didn't happen but has written multiple books on World War 2.

EDIT: Actually he doesn't believe it happened, so all the death and change and mutations he doesn't believe in. Hes a Fox News correspondent. Spellplague is Fake News.

Sorry this was me misreading something. The tweets Greenwood sent out were in the wrong order when I read them and I misunderstood.

The keeping him ignorant thing, was about keeping him ignorant that he had been kept alive to more easily allow Mystara to return after the Spellplauge. Not that he was being kept ignorant of the Spellplauge. Greenwood said he one of the people that has part of Mystara's essence in him, and as a result the chosen are supposed to try and keep him alive. Along with any mortal she put some of her essence in. (Though they are not Chosen themselves and so don't get any cool powers.)

So sorry about that piece of misinformation.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 10, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

That sure is a list of books. Can you provide a page reference for the part where

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Baulder's Gate Novels have been declared non canon and the remastered game elevated to canon in their place.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 10, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sorry this was me misreading something. The tweets Greenwood sent out were in the wrong order when I read them and I misunderstood.

The keeping him ignorant thing, was about keeping him ignorant that he had been kept alive to more easily allow Mystara to return after the Spellplauge. Not that he was being kept ignorant of the Spellplauge. Greenwood said he one of the people that has part of Mystara's essence in him, and as a result the chosen are supposed to try and keep him alive. Along with any mortal she put some of her essence in. (Though they are not Chosen themselves and so don't get any cool powers.)

So sorry about that piece of misinformation.

Why is some guy who writes books important to Mystara. Wouldn't Elminister be the one important for that. Idgi.

I tell you folks, When Mystara sends people, shes not sending her best.

EDIT: So is all of Forgotten Realms 5e stuff just about retconning events that happened in 4e? Jfc this really is dumb culture war stuff isn't it.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Why is some guy who writes books important to Mystara. Wouldn't Elminister be the one important for that. Idgi.

I tell you folks, Mystara, shes not sending her best.

EDIT: So is all of Forgotten Realms 5e stuff just about retconning events that happened in 4e? Jfc this really is dumb culture war stuff isn't it.

He is important cause he is a guy that has part of her essence in him according to Greenwood. Which is why chosen like Elminster make sure he does not die.

Why he got it. No idea.

And it's not so much as retconning as turning stuff back to more how it used to be. The stuff still happened and effects from it are still around.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is important cause he is a guy that has part of her essence in him according to Greenwood. Which is why chosen like Elminster make sure he does not die.

Why he got it. No idea.

And it's not so much as retconning as turning stuff back to more how it used to be. The stuff still happened and effects from it are still around.

There are about 800,000 named and important wizards that could have been picked lol.

EDIT: No it a 100% absolutely retconning and rolling everything back. For no reason or explanation. I looked it up Lathander is back again, for no reason. Helm is back again for no reason. Luskan has the Arcane Brotherhood again and back in control ousting everyone else. The High Captains take orders from them again. Its all just rolling everything back to pre-4e.

EDIT: I assume Blackstaff is back alive in this adventure too for some reason? Or is he staying dead cause it didn't happen in 4e lol.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

There are about 800,000 named and important wizards that could have been picked lol.

EDIT: No it a 100% absolutely retconning and rolling everything back. For no reason or explanation. I looked it up Lathander is back again, for no reason. Helm is back again for no reason. Luskan has the Arcane Brotherhood again and back in control ousting everyone else. The High Captains take orders from them again. Its all just rolling everything back to pre-4e.

EDIT: I assume Blackstaff is back alive in this adventure too for some reason? Or is he staying dead cause it didn't happen in 4e lol.

Volo's been back since Volo's guide to Monsters and Tomb of Anhilation were he is also an NPC. This is not the first thing featuring him.

The current Blackstaff is Vajra Safahr who has been the Blackstaff since 4e.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 10, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Volo's been back since Volo's guide to Monsters and Tomb of Anhilation were he is also an NPC. This is not the first thing featuring him.

The current Blackstaff is Vajra Safahr who has been the Blackstaff since 4e.

Talking about Khelbon Blackstaff. Also Bahamut got demoted when the old gods all just appeared again for no reason lol. Can't have a cool dragon as your go to Lawful Good diety I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Talking about Khelbon Blackstaff. Also Bahamut got demoted when the old gods all just appeared again for no reason lol. Can't have a cool dragon as your go to Lawful Good diety I guess.
He is still dead.

Also Torm was the go to Lawful Good 4e god for the realms.

kingcom posted:

No, a reason was given for all the Gods coming back. It may have not been a great reason, but one was given.

The Arcane Brotherhood is back, but they are not in charge of Luskan anymore. Jarlaxle and his Drow band are. (The High Captains take thier orders from him.) Jarlaxle's older brother Gromph has even largely taken leadership of the new Host Tower of the Arcane. (Which he helped build.)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is still dead.

Also Torm was the go to Lawful Good 4e god for the realms.

I know I was making a joke about bringing back dead characters for no reason...

Torm was definitely not the go to Lawful Good 4e god. His entirely plot was about a mix of Tyr/Helm/Torm believers all fighting eachother over heresies and betrayal and who still existed or didn't. His entire plot was a house divided despite getting a bunch of new power. Bahamut got slotted in to fill Torms previous role and Helm's job title and Bahamut became of the paladin god until the 3 Heresy thing was resolved and Torm stabilised.

MonsterEnvy posted:

No, a reason was given for all the Gods coming back. It may have not been a great reason, but one was given.

The Arcane Brotherhood is back, but they are not in charge of Luskan anymore. Jarlaxle and his Drow band are. (The High Captains take thier orders from him.) Jarlaxle's older brother Gromph has even largely taken leadership of the new Host Tower of the Arcane. (Which he helped build.)

Nah the Arcane Brotherhood is led by a Lich at the moment and they definitely have authority over the high captains.

What was the reason? Ao just slamming that reset button?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah a comic artist isn't exactly an actual statement that things are or aren't canon MonsterEnvy. WotC has been pushing that idea of Minsc hard, but that's not an actual statement about canonicity. Nice try though.

@kingcom: Yeah, it's all bad pointless rollbacks that largely don't make sense. They're making complete hash out of the setting, and it's really sad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The idea of a canon setting where everything fits perfectly together and nothing is out of place makes me genuinely sad. So there is a contradiction: things don't make sense. why? Who lied? Cui fuckin bono? FOLLOW THE ELECTRUM PIECES

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sebmojo posted:

The idea of a canon setting where everything fits perfectly together and nothing is out of place makes me genuinely sad. So there is a contradiction: things don't make sense. why? Who lied? Cui fuckin bono? FOLLOW THE ELECTRUM PIECES

This is true! And this is how the people working on the Forgotten Realms for YEARS saw canon. Things don't make sense? Come up with a cool explanation to make it all fit, and make the world all the better for it. Just that takes effort and follow through and research which 5e ain't doing any of.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I'm not upset if there are logical inconsistencies here and there. I'm more upset that they're just rolling major events back and undoing things seemingly at random. Like 'this god is dead, oh wait no hes not I was trolling you'. It's kind of a big deal and I would probably get upset at that in any setting. This is star wars EU 'there are always emperor clones' kind of trash.

But yeah gently caress it. I'm going to flee this topic for Eberron.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

On a more positive subject, any good level 8 adventure paths I could try and get my DM to run after he does his custom made one if he isn't tired of 5e after.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Forgotten Realms is a bad setting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ProfessorCirno posted:

Forgotten Realms is a bad setting.

I like the detailed but deliberately generic 13a one where the expectation is that you'll color between the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

I know I was making a joke about bringing back dead characters for no reason...

Torm was definitely not the go to Lawful Good 4e god. His entirely plot was about a mix of Tyr/Helm/Torm believers all fighting eachother over heresies and betrayal and who still existed or didn't. His entire plot was a house divided despite getting a bunch of new power. Bahamut got slotted in to fill Torms previous role and Helm's job title and Bahamut became of the paladin god until the 3 Heresy thing was resolved and Torm stabilised.

Nah the Arcane Brotherhood is led by a Lich at the moment and they definitely have authority over the high captains.

What was the reason? Ao just slamming that reset button?

Bahamut in the realm was stated as being a subservient deity to Torm. In 4e overall Bahamut was the overall Lawful Good God. But in FR that was still largely Torm.

No the Arcane Brotherhood is not led by a Lich at the moment. And is not in charge of the High Captains as Jarlaxle is in charge now. Were did you get that.

AO Rebuilt the Tablets of Fate and caused a new Sundering. As a effect pretty much every single dead god came back to life. Including Gods dead since 2e like Myrkul. So yes largely a reset button to get rid of some of the changes people really did not like about 4e, while not undoing everything that happened.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 10, 2018