Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Agony Aunt posted:

And why does he list ED players as people who shouldn't respond. There are some ED players who still hold out hope for SC.

If you ever played E:D, you're one of them. You shied away from the glorious vision and sullied yourself with the nonbelievers. May your life forever be lacking fidelity, heretic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

What say you, thread, about what 3.3 will include and not?

Predicting whether any unfinished work makes it into the next patch is a mug's game at this point. I'd prefer if OCS gets pushed back another quarter for the citizencon meltdowns, and having the quarterly agile patch cycle transforming back into the big end of year patch. But at the end of the day, does it ever really matter what is included in the next patch? They still have a very long way to becoming a real game.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

which one of you wrote this because lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Their track record says 3.3 will be gutted, with some lights and tinsel thrown onto it and sold as progress.

At Citizencon, they'll throw sand in everyone's eyes, with some kind of highlight feature, and everything will continue on as it always has after all of their major demos. There will be a bit more critical voices than before.

They'll bumble through the live show as usual, but the technical aspects of the stream will be solid. Despite what Chris said about cutting back on the costs, it's too late to cancel the expensive contractors doing the videography and streaming.

The in-depth developer panels will be awful, and will accidentally reveal their lack of foundational progress.

Bonus chance: In a repeat of SQ42 vertical slice not making it in time, and CIG doing a mea culpa, 3.3 won't make it and they'll do another apology tour.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

XK posted:

Their track record says 3.3 will be gutted, with some lights and tinsel thrown onto it and sold as progress.

At Citizencon, they'll throw sand in everyone's eyes, with some kind of highlight feature, and everything will continue on as it always has after all of their major demos. There will be a bit more critical voices than before.

They'll bumble through the live show as usual, but the technical aspects of the stream will be solid. Despite what Chris said about cutting back on the costs, it's too late to cancel the expensive contractors doing the videography and streaming.

The in-depth developer panels will be awful, and will accidentally reveal their lack of foundational progress.

Bonus chance: In a repeat of SQ42 vertical slice not making it in time, and CIG doing a mea culpa, 3.3 won't make it and they'll do another apology tour.

I'm betting at least 50% of the demo will be old stuff re-cut with some carefully scripted in-engine things.

The rest will be marketing ships.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Quavers posted:

Game is good :magical:

Store Citizer: around 3.5hr in, we got that 3 minutes of fighting

I still love SC.

Rebel Galaxy sucks.

Elite sucks.

gently caress YOU TURD, frontier developments turds.

FRONTIER ELITE DEVS DO NOT RESPECT YOUR TIME.

I am going back to "ship capture training" in SC again. 3.5 hours for 3 minutes that are not really much fun, but still has more content than 100 AAA games.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

G0RF posted:

Quick thread poll:

CitizenCon is a month away, with Evocati for 3.3 even nearer. The question on everyone’s minds is, “What will the final version of 3.3 include?”

Friday’s Reverse the Verse, ponderous and confused as it was, didn’t exactly seem like a confidence builder. Much of the earlier part of the year saw 3.3 built up as the big one, the one that changes everything, the one that will let Star Citizen finally start becoming Star Citizen. (Yes, 3.0 was supposed to be that, too once but let’s not gloat on that...) Chris talked up 3.3 repeatedly, Erin hyped it in his BoredGamer interview from March, Lando has done his share, too. Yet now as 3.3: approaches, the signaling has been a little hesitant. And it didn’t just start Friday with the first time debut of the never before mentioned “client side object container streaming.”

Revisit the late June appearance of Chris Roberts on Reverse the Verse. While much attention was paid to Roberts punting on the Squadron roadmap, his act of self-absolution, and Lando’s bizarre smirking camera cheats, less attention was paid to the discussions of 3.3.

Revisit this one from Chris. And this one from Lando, when talking about 3.3 and priorities:

“Tough decisions (may) have to be made. There’s probably a couple of those in the future.”

It kinda makes you wonder if they were already concerned several months ago.

Without OCS, 3.3 is probably better described as 3.2+. Some more ships, weapons, minor improvements to existing tech. But it seems like Hurston would be out, its 4 moons would be out, Lorville would be out.

We were told Friday server side OCS remains a challenge for another day. The three guests joining Lando had typewritten notes. They spoke in muted voices, occasionally letting some sunshine in (“their internal tests have been amazing! But...”) but at no moment was there anything committal, anything definitive.

So what to make of it all? Is the gutting of 3.3 a foregone conclusion? Was RTV meant to prepare backers for upcoming Evocati/Roadmap reveals of a downbeat sort? Was the decision to paywall CitizenCon meant not just to squeeze backers for more cash, but also limit the fallout and mockeries of the general gaming community on Twitch to a 3.3 that underwhelmed?

Or is CIG just playing it safe for a change, even with Hurston, Moons, Lorville and the rest racing towards release in a matter of weeks?

What say you, thread, about what 3.3 will include and not?

We dont even have 3.0 yet.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Merzhinhudour/status/1038858924684976128

We also got a dedicated star citizen community in france, mostly due to a famous french youtuber that shills for it. Ironically, it's a youtuber that made his living making fun of old crappy games. French AVGN, basically, and now he's defending star citizen with tooth and nail.

Funny how life works.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm gonna go with the safe bet that nothing they'll show on CitCon will actually be or represent 3.3 patch in any way. And they'll avoid showing scenes where they should use elevators or ramps with other stuff (like carrying a box or like that hilarious scene of their "mako" trying to ride a ramp). Maybe not bother with doors either.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Neltharak posted:

https://twitter.com/Merzhinhudour/status/1038858924684976128

We also got a dedicated star citizen community in france, mostly due to a famous french youtuber that shills for it. Ironically, it's a youtuber that made his living making fun of old crappy games. French AVGN, basically, and now he's defending star citizen with tooth and nail.

Funny how life works.

Yeah. I'm eagerly waiting to see the other shoe drop, and his reaction then, especially considering he cracks Jeovah's Witness' jokes about shilling the game. Doesn't help he has been less and less funny for a while.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tokamak posted:

Predicting whether any unfinished work makes it into the next patch is a mug's game at this point. I'd prefer if OCS gets pushed back another quarter for the citizencon meltdowns, and having the quarterly agile patch cycle transforming back into the big end of year patch. But at the end of the day, does it ever really matter what is included in the next patch? They still have a very long way to becoming a real game.

:same:

No-OCS CitizenCon meltdowns would be fantastic, while the crashing and instability brought by a partial-OCS year-end patch would ensure a xmas-holidays :lol:athon

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Can I take a space dump in a space toilet in space Crops Rollers' Space Citizen yet?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

Deep Mind is a learning algorithm so all that would happen is it would produce jpgs at greater pace and quality than they currently do. It won't magically make the game because there's nobody who could teach it how the game is made.

If you have an AI system, you want to put it to work in different applications and gaming development will be one. I'm not saying they'd do it for free, just be willing to consider a reasonable deal to make it doable.

If there's a will there's always a way.

I'm thinking here of the ability to bring the whole vision at its peak into being within the next three to five years, beyond a Beta release say a couple of years or so from now.

It would ensure that no one would get bored of the game with that kind of mind blowing scale up.

I've been looking very closely at all the most graphically realistic and immersive games and the various RPG and FPS games don't even come close to what CIG are attempting with SC.

I want to see it get all the way there, and can't imagine how they could possibly do it (100 systems fully developed including Earth) without the help of a powerful tool like AI, which could use Google mapping along with some futuristic flourishes to make the future Earth while learning about every different type of environment using the actual Earth as an analogue. The AI could then draw from that data base in it's creations of other words and systems, while becoming ever more detailed and immersive all the way along.
The hand of the artists would never be removed since there's always the matter of preference and choice in what the AI produces.

As to fully immersive VR play with hand motion tech, well, wouldn't that be totally awesome? On the downside, FOIP wouldn't work with the headset on.. then again, if there's eye tracking, why not the area around the eye, along with the cheeks along the bottom of the glasses. When combined with a FOIP shot of the lips and lower face, the composite of the whole face could still be captured.

It will happen, and it will happen the introduction of these two technologies, AI and VR, within the context of game development. Might as well be SC and the collective dream that is Star Citizen.

Chris could use his Intel connections to make it happen, while hiring on a couple of very talented people in each of those two fields, folks with links to Deep Mind and Oculus.

In real life, I'm a headhunter, a corporate recruiter. Cheaper than hiring consulting firms only to have your own gals, or gals.

Facebook is in trouble and Google is always looking for the next big smash hit.

I don't see why not.

With object container streaming, the digital objects built can have encoded info for haptic feedback in the gloves along with hand motion detection (better when talking with people to be able to move ones hands and arms), and retina blurr and focal point calibration based on what you're looking at via eye motion detection. Facial and hand and body motion detection tech is coming along very quickly now.

If I were Chris and CIG, I'd want to be thinking about how to get and stay ahead of the curve but in a way by far more extraordinary even than the big vision but only dimly realized.

To just go ahead and BLOW people's minds again and again, now that all the tech has finally arrived, including at the PC and Server level as everyone buys up gaming rigs while the price on things like memory continue to fall.

The payoff would be absolutely immense, come 2023-25 or only 2 and 3 years from Beta.

2025-2030 would then be filled with gaming experiences and human interaction that we can hardly comprehend.

Gaming will never be the same when someone is smart enough to create a game like SC that fully incorporates these 2 leading edge technologies.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 10, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Quavers posted:

Jesus loving christ. The game is really that horrible? It reads like a parody.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Jesus christ how can you be this ill-informed?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Christ gently caress what is this game even

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Quavers posted:

Store Citizer: around 3.5hr in, we got that 3 minutes of fighting and it really was not that fun

.. you forgot the ending, so I did it for you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sillybones posted:

Christ gently caress what is this game even

it's not a game

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Anyone experienced enough to even approach those AI fever dreams realistically would not be working on a video game, let alone one named "Star Citizen" :laffo:

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dante80 posted:

If you have an AI system, you want to put it to work in different applications and gaming development will be one. I'm not saying they'd do it for free, just be willing to consider a reasonable deal to make it doable.

If there's a will there's always a way.

I'm thinking here of the ability to bring the whole vision at its peak into being within the next three to five years, beyond a Beta release say a couple of years or so from now.

It would ensure that no one would get bored of the game with that kind of mind blowing scale up.

I've been looking very closely at all the most graphically realistic and immersive games and the various RPG and FPS games don't even come close to what CIG are attempting with SC.

I want to see it get all the way there, and can't imagine how they could possibly do it (100 systems fully developed including Earth) without the help of a powerful tool like AI, which could use Google mapping along with some futuristic flourishes to make the future Earth while learning about every different type of environment using the actual Earth as an analogue. The AI could then draw from that data base in it's creations of other words and systems, while becoming ever more detailed and immersive all the way along.
The hand of the artists would never be removed since there's always the matter of preference and choice in what the AI produces.

As to fully immersive VR play with hand motion tech, well, wouldn't that be totally awesome? On the downside, FOIP wouldn't work with the headset on.. then again, if there's eye tracking, why not the area around the eye, along with the cheeks along the bottom of the glasses. When combined with a FOIP shot of the lips and lower face, the composite of the whole face could still be captured.

It will happen, and it will happen the introduction of these two technologies, AI and VR, within the context of game development. Might as well be SC and the collective dream that is Star Citizen.

Chris could use his Intel connections to make it happen, while hiring on a couple of very talented people in each of those two fields, folks with links to Deep Mind and Oculus.

In real life, I'm a headhunter, a corporate recruiter. Cheaper than hiring consulting firms only to have your own gals, or gals.

Facebook is in trouble and Google is always looking for the next big smash hit.

I don't see why not.

With object container streaming, the digital objects built can have encoded info for haptic feedback in the gloves along with hand motion detection (better when talking with people to be able to move ones hands and arms), and retina blurr and focal point calibration based on what you're looking at via eye motion detection. Facial and hand and body motion detection tech is coming along very quickly now.

If I were Chris and CIG, I'd want to be thinking about how to get and stay ahead of the curve but in a way by far more extraordinary even than the big vision but only dimly realized.

To just go ahead and BLOW people's minds again and again, now that all the tech has finally arrived, including at the PC and Server level as everyone buys up gaming rigs while the price on things like memory continue to fall.

The payoff would be absolutely immense, come 2023-25 or only 2 and 3 years from Beta.

2025-2030 would then be filled with gaming experiences and human interaction that we can hardly comprehend.

Gaming will never be the same when someone is smart enough to create a game like SC that fully incorporates these 2 leading edge technologies.

don't @ me

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tsar Mikey posted:

Anyone experienced enough to even approach those AI fever dreams realistically would not be working on a video game, let alone one named "Star Citizen" :laffo:
Yeah. They'd be living in a basement in Azerbaijan, desperately trying to avoid Elon's kill squads.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sillybones posted:

Jesus loving christ. The game is really that horrible? It reads like a parody.

This is why it's too difficult to explain to people on the outside that this is a dumpster fire with less functional "game" than some 30-minute baby's first flash coding attempt thing on Newgrounds. It all sounds like hyperbole because there's no way anyone else would unleash this sort of nightmare while sitting on a funding figure quickly approaching 200 million dollars. If you manage to get through to them the exact state of things then they say "wow, what a scam" but are still not quite grasping that it's also a cult and people keep dropping $27k on jpegs even with all the knowledge of the last eight years. If Crobberts has done one thing on a grand, unprecedented scale it's creating a situation where it's too difficult to explain how lovely it is.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

This is why it's too difficult to explain to people on the outside that this is a dumpster fire with less functional "game" than some 30-minute baby's first flash coding attempt thing on Newgrounds. It all sounds like hyperbole because there's no way anyone else would unleash this sort of nightmare while sitting on a funding figure quickly approaching 200 million dollars. If you manage to get through to them the exact state of things then they say "wow, what a scam" but are still not quite grasping that it's also a cult and people keep dropping $27k on jpegs even with all the knowledge of the last eight years. If Crobberts has done one thing on a grand, unprecedented scale it's creating a situation where it's too difficult to explain how lovely it is.

This is almost word-for-word the general observation of prosecuting financial crimes. In fact, the successes recently have come more from the crooks being really lax, rather than the general public's ability to understand the three card monty game called 'Finance'.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The citizen justification for why OCS won't make it in was laid years ago with "they're doing things that have never been done before."

I do wonder if they'll try and cram new locations in without it though, since they spent so long beating the drum about how it was the real blocker for new content.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

The citizen justification for why OCS won't make it in was laid years ago with "they're doing things that have never been done before."

I do wonder if they'll try and cram new locations in without it though, since they spent so long beating the drum about how it was the real blocker for new content.

Maybe they'll just dump one or two new moons in amongst the tiny space the existing 3.5 moons already occupy.

"3.3 is now live. System requirements have changed: 24GB RAM is needed".

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Quavers posted:

Maybe they'll just dump one or two new moons in amongst the tiny space the existing 3.5 moons already occupy.

3.3.1a System requirements have changed. 60 qubit processor is needed.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Hav posted:

This is almost word-for-word the general observation of prosecuting financial crimes. In fact, the successes recently have come more from the crooks being really lax, rather than the general public's ability to understand the three card monty game called 'Finance'.

That's partly why I stopped investigating this stuff. Nobody outside the Twilight Zone can comprehend it. Once you start in about how an ex-lawyer leveraged government green energy funding to lure in German investors while in cahoots with the research director of an obscure midwestern university and reverse merged the new corporation they slapped together in league with another ex-lawyer who peddles shell companies in the UK and floated the whole thing on the lowest tier of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange...well, you lost them a long time ago. You sound like Glenn Beck without the whiteboard.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes, but that's what we call 'patently false', unless the 'thing' in question is torturing an unlicensed FPS engine into producing a space game, and the results so far have been underwhelming; Again, red-underline on OCS being a blocker to _streaming damned assets into memory_ which was settled technology when they originally hosed it up in 2.6.2. It's literally stopping SQ42 because they have to load _everything_.

Even better, someone tried the whole 'develop for the future' thing and got kicked in the tits when the graphic's cards dragged their heels over Rage. Megatextures are actually a pretty good idea that ran into memory speed problems on release, and they were developed by a competent team that _stood on the shoulders of giants_ (Like they'll reference the books that discuss the shaders, and tell you how they did poo poo; CiG really does more _messaging_.)

Quavers posted:

Travelling to Hurston
Please insert CD4

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

That's partly why I stopped investigating this stuff. Nobody outside the Twilight Zone can comprehend it. Once you start in about how an ex-lawyer leveraged government green energy funding to lure in German investors while in cahoots with the research director of an obscure midwestern university and reverse merged the new corporation they slapped together in league with another ex-lawyer who peddles shell companies in the UK and floated the whole thing on the lowest tier of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange...well, you lost them a long time ago. You sound like Glenn Beck without the whiteboard.

Ironically the same people who can't follow a simple default swap are usually only too happy to expound on the reasons why the towers fell that isn't flying a couple of planes through them.

It's one of the reasons I kinda gave up on the UFO thing; facts don't matter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Update on THQ Nordic's Kingdoms of Amalur IP acquisition that was reported some 2000 pages ago by this point: EA still owns the publishing rights to the Kingdoms of Amalur game (they didn't really do any publisher stuff per-se, they basically got paid to put thing in box and box on shelf) which means any remasters, ports etc. would require a quiet word with them first. (Amalur 2 and the "Project Copernicus" MMO probably wouldn't have this obstacle, but they'd be pricy gambles to take by themselves...)

I'm curious to see what THQ has in mind. I can't imagine EA having much interest in clinging onto the publishing rights for an old controversial clanger like Amalur, but I also can't imagine them quoting a price that'd make the port-and-remaster shuffle worthwhile. Interesting times...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpartialRecentIchidna-mobile.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

XK posted:

They probably already filmed the Road To 3.3, Game Development Is Hard letdown video

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Thoatse posted:

They probably already filmed the Road To 3.3, Game Development Is Hard letdown video

This time they will be charging the Road to citizen con 2018 as pay per view

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Was this written by a Markov bot?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

It's one of the reasons I kinda gave up on the UFO thing; facts don't matter.

I think it is interesting how the aliens evolved over time from hairy Sasquatch style monsters to the thin bug eyed grey midgets of today.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Quavers posted:

Lies! SC luminaries like Cymellion, Errillion, etc. reassure us those are not the experiences of the the VAST majority that are experiencing 45fps, little to no bugs gameplay every day! Yet more Goon FUDdery!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Pssst buddy, I hear that fleshlight has a computer enabled cock massager coming out too! Hope that SC has that integrated too!

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I realize that this is just dumb citizens spitballing, but it would be hilarious if he puts an AI part of the game on GCP; and then amazon sues him for violating the lumberyard TOS.