Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

I will because the best sport is cornhole :colbert:

thats a party game, not a sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star Trek is better than Star Wars

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The new star trek movies are the only truly good star trek thing. DS9 comes close to being good but it has way too much filler episodes.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There are lots of unnecessary and sometimes bad filler episodes in all the old 22 episodes per season shows, so sort of don't disagree. Except, the new movies are not good. Most of the old movies are not good either. Star Trek shines, to whatever degree it does, in a long form TV format.

Nothing really gets me "excited" anymore but am looking forward to the new Picard show, and am really curious as to what it will be like, and if they will address things like the Dominion war, or Janeway using time travel and viral weapons against the Borg.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Star Trek movie with the whales is better than the best Star Wars movie.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

Nothing really gets me "excited" anymore but am looking forward to the new Picard show, and am really curious as to what it will be like, and if they will address things like the Dominion war, or Janeway using time travel and viral weapons against the Borg.

I really really hope it doesn't do that, and is instead is what made Star Trek good in the first place; fun, well-written space adventures about people learning new things and meeting new cultures and solving conflicts peacefully.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Improvised Star Trek is the best Star Trek series.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goku and Piccolo going to driver's ed justifies all filler episodes ever created.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goku and Piccolo going to driver's ed justifies all filler episodes ever created.

I've been doing a rewatch of the original DBZ, and the pure filler episodes aren't bad. Some of them are legit good. The real problem is how much it stretches out the fights

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I don't hate american sports per say but they are definitely second monitor material. I do not understand how any human being can sit for 3 and a half hours and focus on one match of American Football. It's not exactly dense with action.

I haven't watched a lot of basketball but the entire point of the game seems to be for both teams to get to 100 points and then they'll worry about any kind of margin, it's dull.

Baseball seems really cool, if I was American I think i'd love it but its not on that often in the UK and usually its on at silly times. I love how its vaguely diametric to Cricket in that baseball giving away your "wicket" for lack of the right term is a common thing but runs are difficult to come by whereas in Cricket runs are plentiful but "outs" are relatively uncommon.

Ice Hockey is probably fun to watch, its by far the most popular american sport where I live in the UK, there's an ice-hockey team 20 minutes drive from me but for whatever reason I've never taken in a game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

I don't hate american sports per say but they are definitely second monitor material. I do not understand how any human being can sit for 3 and a half hours and focus on one match of American Football. It's not exactly dense with action.

I haven't watched a lot of basketball but the entire point of the game seems to be for both teams to get to 100 points and then they'll worry about any kind of margin, it's dull.

Baseball seems really cool, if I was American I think i'd love it but its not on that often in the UK and usually its on at silly times. I love how its vaguely diametric to Cricket in that baseball giving away your "wicket" for lack of the right term is a common thing but runs are difficult to come by whereas in Cricket runs are plentiful but "outs" are relatively uncommon.

Ice Hockey is probably fun to watch, its by far the most popular american sport where I live in the UK, there's an ice-hockey team 20 minutes drive from me but for whatever reason I've never taken in a game.

I mean this is basically like every American who thinks soccer is nothing but scoreless draws and faked injuries. You either grow up watching a sport and you understand it from early on, or you make a serious effort to get into it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really really hope it doesn't do that, and is instead is what made Star Trek good in the first place; fun, well-written space adventures about people learning new things and meeting new cultures and solving conflicts peacefully.

Just watch The Orville then.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean this is basically like every American who thinks soccer is nothing but scoreless draws and faked injuries. You either grow up watching a sport and you understand it from early on, or you make a serious effort to get into it.

Yeah, american football is actually pretty dense with tactical play but unless you know what's going on and are invested then it's not fun to watch. Even most american fans need tv personalities explaining plays to them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Teaching literacy is wrong, because it's extremely difficult for a person to return to illiteracy once it's lost.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sports are dumb, I always felt, but after many years of depression and alcoholism, I thought, maybe all these normal people who are into sports know what they are talking about. Maybe my self image as an intellectual, a nerd if you will, is actually harmful. Maybe I should work out and follow a sport instead, MMA is a sport right? That seems honest. I've been beaten up, I relate to that.

That works, you are what you do. Any inner core that may or may not exist, good luck, you are in for a new kind of ride.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spit on my clit posted:

thats a party game, not a sport

They air tournaments on ESPN, therefore it's a sport.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sports are (for some people) an entertaining way to make some time vanish. There's nothing either particularly noble or particularly disdain-worthy about them. (Not even about American football. Sigh. I SUPPOSE.) I don't find most of them particularly interesting (though I can get into a good basketball game) but not everyone has to like everything.

There's a lot of hosed-up bullshit tied up in college/professional sports, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Red Dead Redemption isn't very good

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

docbeard posted:

not everyone has to like everything.

:yeah:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

They air tournaments on ESPN, therefore it's a sport.

they air street fighter tournaments on espn, would you call fighting games a kind of sport

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
They're esports.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Of course fighting games are sports

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
well i guess most of the competitors are about as salty as soccer players so i'll accept that its a sport

Mr. Snickerdoodles
Nov 19, 2013

Caufman posted:

Teaching literacy is wrong, because it's extremely difficult for a person to return to illiteracy once it's lost.

I must be illiterate because I can't figure out what the gently caress you're trying to say here.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Innocence once lost can't be regained. Think of an illiterate as you would of Eve before she met the snake. Literacy coexists and in a sense is civilization. When you walk down the piss stained streets, drunk on liquids and ideas that could never exist in a world without literacy, remember that there was a time when none of it existed, and that time is never coming back.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
WRONG, plenty of oral civilizations made booze.

Some people think we invented farming for beer, not bread.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the greatest crimes of our modern times is that there isn't a single set or series of sets collecting the Hammer Horror movies. They're scattered across dozens of different random DVD collections. It's a mess! It's a loving disgrace.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Some people think we invented farming for beer, not bread.

The first domesticated crop was barley sooooo yeah. That probably checks out. Hunter-gatherers never had much difficulty getting enough to eat but stuff to make booze was only available sometimes.

The civilizations that never invented booze usually found some other way to get totally wasted. Fact is, humans like recreational substances.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the greatest crimes of our modern times is that there isn't a single set or series of sets collecting the Hammer Horror movies. They're scattered across dozens of different random DVD collections. It's a mess! It's a loving disgrace.

I think the same thing about the fact that there is no 30 Rock Complete Series box set. It's uncalled for.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ommin posted:

I think the same thing about the fact that there is no 30 Rock Complete Series box set. It's uncalled for.

At least you can buy season one and go from there. Look at this Bluray collection, that claims to be "Volume One"

Like Taste The Blood of Dracula was Hammer's first Dracula movie. It wasn't! Dracula was Hammer's first Dracula movie! The Hammer collections available are actively lying to you about the film order!

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Hammer collections available are actively lying to you about the film order!

Yeah, that's bullshit. There is just no love left for those of us that still appreciate physical media.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

kill all speeders

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They didn't distill it and then store it in barrels for years.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

They didn't distill it and then store it in barrels for years.

yeah, some of them did.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation#History and as far as I can see it doesn't suggest distillation existed before literacy. Do you have some specific source you wanna mention?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oil is actually dinosaur whiskey.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

(Made by, not of)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The best episode of Star Trek ever is the Magnificent Seven homage with Ferengi in DS9. Also Iggy Pop plays a Dominion dude in it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

doverhog posted:

I read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation#History and as far as I can see it doesn't suggest distillation existed before literacy. Do you have some specific source you wanna mention?

The only reason humans learned to write was to remember how to make whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
I like S3 of Twin Peaks more than S2. I mean S2 was horrid in the middle.