Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yakuza 6 is a good game as far as games go but not a terribly good Yakuza game. I'd go so far as to say that it's fairly mediocre in the larger Yakuza canon. I have only played 4 onwards with 0 being the series peak, but I have no problem putting 6 at the bottom of that pile. It's an inferior game in every way but graphically.

Please tell me Kiwami 2 is more Kiwami and less 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Deified Data posted:

Yakuza 6 is a good game as far as games go but not a terribly good Yakuza game. I'd go so far as to say that it's fairly mediocre in the larger Yakuza canon. I have only played 4 onwards with 0 being the series peak, but I have no problem putting 6 at the bottom of that pile. It's an inferior game in every way but graphically.

Please tell me Kiwami 2 is more Kiwami and less 6.

Is 6 the one that ends with Kiryu just abandoning Haruka?
Honestly I feel pretty ok with only playing the PS2 games ,since it seems like the series moved the focus away from the things I liked in those.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hel posted:

Is 6 the one that ends with Kiryu just abandoning Haruka?
Honestly I feel pretty ok with only playing the PS2 games ,since it seems like the series moved the focus away from the things I liked in those.

I know that 6 ends with Kiryu taking a deal that protects everyone from reprisals but requires him to disappear.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I knew the plot twist about your character isn't actually Big Boss going into the game, so maybe that's part of why I'm not invested. But the tone doesn't help, there doesn't seem to be any humour, just Boss, Kaz and Ocelot competing to see who can sound the most generically grizzled. I didn't realise how much the humour humanised the characters until it wasn't there. Funniest thing in the game is that the references to phantom limbs and Diamond Dogs unintentionally make me think of The Venture Bros, rather than loss of a limb and David Bowie.

Gameplay's great, though. Just wish the story was a bit more... Metal Gear-y.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

imo the biggest problem is that the game is largely lacking in personality. If you stripped the few metal gear-isms that survived into mgs5, you'd just have a generic empty open world stealth/cover-shooter. Even the 80s setting doesn't matter much since they use future tech anyway.

Another problem is the story takes forever to actually start, and even when it does it goes nowhere. This is probably due to konami pushing an incomplete game out the door, but even if they didn't do that, I'm not sure where the story would head anyway. There's that episode 51 video, but all that does is somewhat close a plot thread.

Honestly, the worst thing in mgs5 is the loving skulls. Every mission they're involved in is garbage, theyre not fun to fight.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man the Skulls suck so much

MGSV is definitely better if you're not a series fan since it ditches a lot. It's funny to do it the other way around, love MGSV and get the Metal Gear collection, load up MGS3 and be like wwwwwwhat the gently caress is this

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah, i think some people hear the complaints and assume the entire game is like that

like, i can't speak for the sequel yet but i forgot the memes were even a thing in the first game until people started talking about the sequel doing something similar, it's an incredibly minor aspect of a real fun game

If you played the Super Turbo Championship Edition it removed most of the memes, you're like a guy who only played the rereleases of Psychonauts and San Andreas and don't get why people think the Meat Circus and the RC Plane mission were a big deal.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Guy Mann posted:

If you played the Super Turbo Championship Edition it removed most of the memes, you're like a guy who only played the rereleases of Psychonauts and San Andreas and don't get why people think the Meat Circus and the RC Plane mission were a big deal.

gently caress that RC plane mission. I played that on a release-day copy of SA for ps2, and that was by far the worst mission. Even when all you had to do was follow the drat train, CJ, you were doing a better mission.

See also: the unpatched race in the first Mafia game (sorry to anybody who had luckily forgotten about that one until now).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

beats for junkies posted:

gently caress that RC plane mission. I played that on a release-day copy of SA for ps2, and that was by far the worst mission. Even when all you had to do was follow the drat train, CJ, you were doing a better mission.

I remember that mission. How did that even happen? Was there no QA or play testing for that?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Leavemywife posted:

I remember that mission. How did that even happen? Was there no QA or play testing for that?

I have no idea. For anyone who hasn't experienced this mission, or read about it before, you're flying a little RC plane around for David Cross, who wants you to mess with his nerd rival. You had to hit 4, I think, objectives, and then fly back to base. You got just enough fuel to succeed, but only if you hit the objectives in the right order (you are not told the right order, just given objective points on your map/minimap). I think that later versions changed it so that your fuel didn't decrease unless you were hitting the "go" button, allowing you to glide for a lot of the flight time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

joke's on you, i didn't even get to the meat circus before i got bored of that game

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also, one thing about it is that the RC Plane is a plane, which means controlling it takes from your Flying skill, which if you haven't been specifically grinding, you don't have any of.

Last time I replayed San Andreas, I did the flight school first then went back to do that mission and it was actually fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

The memes in Guacamelee are all background things, iirc. They're definitely nothing to get bent out of shape about. I haven't seen any in the sequel yet, but people making a big deal about them are being whiners.

One of the main bosses says "trolololol" before he fights you. Still a good game but Christ

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yakuza 0 - finally started playing the game, seems cool so far though I've barely even started really. What's dragging it down a tiny bit (a real tiny bit) is that for some weird reason they decided to force a number of different actions to use the same buttons. For instance, Accept must also be the Dodge button, which sucks because I like Dodge to be where Cancel usually is in other dodge-y games. Another is that Guard and Lock-on are also forced to the same buttons for switching between tabs in some menus, so since I prefer to have them on the LR triggers instead of buttons, that's also used in the menus now, and at least for me the LR triggers have a habit of pressing multiple times sometimes.

Again, it's a tiny tiny thing, but if it was somehow possible to separate those commands from each other I'd have liked that very much. Typing this post I did have a thought of maybe looking into the Steam controller setup and see if maybe I can make the LR triggers less prone to multi-press at least, that should help with things if I work that out.

e: woo, worked out the triggers, so there we go!

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Sep 10, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

2house2fly posted:

MGSV is definitely better if you're not a series fan since it ditches a lot. It's funny to do it the other way around, love MGSV and get the Metal Gear collection, load up MGS3 and be like wwwwwwhat the gently caress is this

Oh man! The skulls. What happened to villains in mgs 4 and 5. I miss crazy characters raised on the battlefield.

I think it has something to do Kojima wanting to do war more seriously.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vic posted:

Oh man! The skulls. What happened to villains in mgs 4 and 5. I miss crazy characters raised on the battlefield.

I think it has something to do Kojima wanting to do war more seriously.

Hey 4 had bosses with crazy backstories,. It just had no real influence on their characters and was only told through a boring monologue by someone else after they had already left the story. So in effect it just had multiple characters with the same name but no real connection and neither being actually interesting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did the plots in any Rockstar games ever make sense? Most of the time its just bumbling around doing bitch-work for different bosses. GTA V has a really flat climax where the three leads kill each others nemesises, so in the end you're just killing off total strangers, and its not explained why we couldn't have done this sooner. At least in Yakuza there is a thread of logic from the starting incident to the climactic shirtless punchout.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did the plots in any Rockstar games ever make sense? Most of the time its just bumbling around doing bitch-work for different bosses. GTA V has a really flat climax where the three leads kill each others nemesises, so in the end you're just killing off total strangers, and its not explained why we couldn't have done this sooner. At least in Yakuza there is a thread of logic from the starting incident to the climactic shirtless punchout.

Rule of thumb for rockstar games: the worse a character is, the longer you have to work for them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RDR certainly has the "bumble around working for different leaders" thing but the plot does lead somewhere.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't recall the plot of San Andreas being that bad, but its been a while. At least the main character didn't have a problem being a criminal and didn't pretend he wanted out of that life.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

RDR certainly has the "bumble around working for different leaders" thing but the plot does lead somewhere.

Does it? Because I stopped playing when I got sick of every single plot point being

Marston: "I gotta do stuff and you're going to help me or I'll kill you."
Literally Everyone: "Okay but first you're going to do thirty things for me."
Marston: "Okay."

Every character except Bonnie(?) sucked (and she disappears without any fanfare), almost every mission was boring, the world was dead and empty, and the side activities were just as bad. The plot was just the lovely icing on the cake. Stopped somewhere in Mexico, I think when I met a general, the above conversation took place, and I realized that it would be more of the same.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mexico is almost all wheel-spinning as far as the main plot goes and is there so they can have a spaghetti western section of the game.

But the sections leading up to and including Marston's death and the title card when you get revenge are fantastic.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Randalor posted:

I don't recall the plot of San Andreas being that bad, but its been a while. At least the main character didn't have a problem being a criminal and didn't pretend he wanted out of that life.

Like all three characters in GTAV?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

2house2fly posted:

I played twins snakes back in the day but that was it, the clunky gameplay turned me off to the series and I couldn’t give less of a gently caress about the story. MGSV loving ruled, it was my favorite game of that year, and I could barely tell you what the plot of that game was. I guess snake found a super blond kid who stole his stolen metal gear who loving cares. I’m in it for one of the smoothest playing stealth/action hybrids I’ve ever seen, drat that game was gratifying to overcome. Pity about the real-world timers and optional cash-grab system gating the end-game content.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Randalor posted:

GTA:SA is fine up until the very end where CJ is guilted into getting back into the gang life.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Randalor posted:

It was pretty much the prototype for that plot though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Olaf The Stout posted:

I played twins snakes back in the day but that was it, the clunky gameplay turned me off to the series and I couldn’t give less of a gently caress about the story. MGSV loving ruled, it was my favorite game of that year, and I could barely tell you what the plot of that game was. I guess snake found a super blond kid who stole his stolen metal gear who loving cares. I’m in it for one of the smoothest playing stealth/action hybrids I’ve ever seen, drat that game was gratifying to overcome. Pity about the real-world timers and optional cash-grab system gating the end-game content.

Twin Snakes was a huge POS that transposed an entire PS1 era game into the MGS2 engine but changed basically nothing to adapt the game to the new engine so all the MGS2 capabilities you have just breaks the whole game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MGS1 and 2 control like poo poo and Twin Snakes doesn't do anything to fix that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Twin Snakes is a neat game with some glaring flaws that everyone loves to blow out of proportion.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Mirror's Edge Catalyst is such a drat mess. I didn't hate my time playing through it, but it burned up the remainder of my patience by the end because of an under-cooked final level and a garbage ending capped off by a clumsy sequel hook.

Also, your reward for beating the game is getting a single collectible type added to your map. Said collectible is the easiest and largely hassle-free type to find. You don't get the other four types of collectibles, which are all much more thoroughly hidden, added to the map at any point. :goleft: Wouldn't be surprised if you were supposed to, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. The whole game feels frustratingly sloppy like this.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

John Murdoch posted:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is such a drat mess. I didn't hate my time playing through it, but it burned up the remainder of my patience by the end because of an under-cooked final level and a garbage ending capped off by a clumsy sequel hook.

Also, your reward for beating the game is getting a single collectible type added to your map. Said collectible is the easiest and largely hassle-free type to find. You don't get the other four types of collectibles, which are all much more thoroughly hidden, added to the map at any point. :goleft: Wouldn't be surprised if you were supposed to, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. The whole game feels frustratingly sloppy like this.

But the kicking feels so good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tried playing Civ 5 and its pretty lame that settling 4 cities and building tall is pretty much the 'correct' way to play the game because otherwise you just incur massive penalties. I know they did it to combat infinite city spam, but I feel like its way too restrictive and late game Civ 5 maps often just have huge swathes of unclaimed territory.

Civ 6 has its own issues which don't sound like it was solved by the recent expansion.

Someone do a proper grid based sequel to Civ 4 please :sigh:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
In Civ 6 spamming cities everywhere was the correct option iirc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Terminally Bored posted:

In Civ 6 spamming cities everywhere was the correct option iirc.

Ditto in Beyond Earth, too.

Going ICS also works just fine in 5 unless you're playing on high difficulty settings.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

muscles like this! posted:

GTA:SA is fine up until the very end where CJ is guilted into getting back into the gang life.

I never finished San Andreas because the build-up to the final mission requires you to conquer lots of territory for your gang to draw the bad guy out of hiding, and I hated that gameplay mechanic with a fiery passion. "Hey here's a game where you can do all sorts of dumb poo poo! It's awesome! Except for that one mechanic that requires you to stand in an area and have enemy waves come at you! Now guess what mechanic you have to grind before you're allowed to play the final mission!"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mikl posted:

I never finished San Andreas because the build-up to the final mission requires you to conquer lots of territory for your gang to draw the bad guy out of hiding, and I hated that gameplay mechanic with a fiery passion. "Hey here's a game where you can do all sorts of dumb poo poo! It's awesome! Except for that one mechanic that requires you to stand in an area and have enemy waves come at you! Now guess what mechanic you have to grind before you're allowed to play the final mission!"

I ground out as much of the whole map as possible as soon as possible in the first act, and then it was arbitrarily taken away from me in a story beat.

That plus the mind numbing driving back to mission starts in red county whenever you failed broke me and I haven't played a GTA title since. Saints row is great, though.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

John Murdoch posted:

I get the impression that the first Mirror's Edge was EA getting lucky with a small development team turning a tech demo into a brief, stylistically interesting experience.

And then the sequel got the full EA "Experience".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mikl posted:

Breetai posted:

I ground out as much of the whole map as possible as soon as possible in the first act, and then it was arbitrarily taken away from me in a story beat.

That plus the mind numbing driving back to mission starts in red county whenever you failed broke me and I haven't played a GTA title since. Saints row is great, though.

Both true and good posts. I'd like to add as well that some of the gang territories were really small and/or oddly shaped, so trying to find enough enemy gang members in those territories to kill and start the gang war event was in itself a massive pain in the rear end.

Also, I am not as smart as Breetai, and I went on to play GTA IV (and hated it) then I saw some footage of GTA V which made it seem more fun, bought it, and hated it. I have learned my lesson though, no more GTA games for me. Saints Row forever. Provided of course they ever actually make another goddamn saints row game...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bully was Rockstar's last really great game, and I really want a Steam release of The Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

But the kicking feels so good

That's part of why the game's so frustrating. Both the parkour and combat, barring some minor issues that could be easily ironed out, are far smoother and more enjoyable than the first game's attempts.

Poulpe posted:

I get the impression that the first Mirror's Edge was EA getting lucky with a small development team turning a tech demo into a brief, stylistically interesting experience.

And then the sequel got the full EA "Experience".

Pretty much. It feels like a game that struggled its way onto shelves.