Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I lost situational awareness and let a class that can't do damage outside of arm's reach get close to me. I should automatically win that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

have you tried accelerating small pieces of metal in the pyro's direction, possibly using some kind of tube containing propellant?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really love backburner pyro, it was my first love in this game close to 8 years ago. People get so loving salty when you get in their face and you light them, then immediately reflect their rocket/pills/flare back into them with the backburner.

So loving salty.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
If people put half as much effort into shooting pyros as they do complaining about them, the world would be a much better place

Especially when it comes to the Phlog! Shoot rockets at them, they can’t reflect and you can rocket jump to stay out of their range! This was how I dealt with them back when the phlog fully healed you on activation and the only time I died to the crits was when I got too cocky and tried to bomb them

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'd probably do better with another flamethrower, but I'm still enjoying dragon's fury so much.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If you’re getting dominated by a phlog pyro you really only have yourself to blame. Every class can deal with a phlog pyro and if they get in their effective range it’s either because they outplayed you hard (it takes a lot more effort to get into range as a phlog pyro then it takes to stop them) or you have the awareness of a rock

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
As a player who mainly plays Pyro and Medic, I agree with all of that. If I get someone, then they were not checking their backs or sides, or forgot about my airblast.

Also by being such an annoying Pyro it has really helped improve my Medic game and keeping alive. :D

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I play mainly soldier with conch (so no shot gun). I have these really weird interactions with good pyros where he is standing there looking at me wanting me to fire a rocket and I'm waggling my mouse faking firing a rocket to bait out his air blast then firing after that. Some times we just stand there and look at each other like it's a western.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you’re getting dominated by a phlog pyro you really only have yourself to blame. Every class can deal with a phlog pyro and if they get in their effective range it’s either because they outplayed you hard (it takes a lot more effort to get into range as a phlog pyro then it takes to stop them) or you have the awareness of a rock

really it's usually about what everybody else is doing. phlog pyro draws so much hate because it completely shits all over the idea of Noble 1v1 Dueling. you die because your teammates hosed up and fed the pyro and because the enemies did their job and held your attention away from him. the enemy team did everything right and your team did everything wrong but it's Not Fair because some random clown comes in and deletes you while you're in the middle of an epic standoff with the rest of the enemy team.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The best phlog interaction is seeing the pyro taunt and immediately laying 5 stickies on his feet

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Jippa posted:

I play mainly soldier with conch (so no shot gun). I have these really weird interactions with good pyros where he is standing there looking at me wanting me to fire a rocket and I'm waggling my mouse faking firing a rocket to bait out his air blast then firing after that. Some times we just stand there and look at each other like it's a western.

I play gunboats almost exclusively and I can usually just jump( since most soldiers jump to fire) to bait an airblast. Also putting a Rocket right on the edge of the airblast seems to throw them off too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

The best phlog interaction is seeing the pyro taunt and immediately laying 5 stickies on his feet

it's funnier to just lay one that pushes him into a pit

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

it's funnier to just lay one that pushes him into a pit

Impossible nonsense. Turbine has no pits.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Jippa posted:

My favourite Soldier/Pyro interactions are when the Soldier's trying to bait out an airblast and the Pyro's just waiting for a rocket to reflect, but neither of you are actually doing anything, so you just hit x + 2 and walk off

ArfJason posted:

The best I've seen was a Spy standing behind a taunting Pyro, then strafing around to his front at the very last second. The Pyro of course was prepared to immediately whip around to flame the Spy who had previously been behind him, and still ended up being backstabbed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I usually play on the Luxembourg servers in casual and get really good ping/performance. I re installed cs go this evening and messed around with it then played tf2.

I now just can't connect to these servers? It goes to the map loading screen, does 2 bars then says "failed after 4 retries". I haven't had this for years. when I extend the ping limit I can connect to other valve servers.

It's very odd because I have been playing loads recently. Like I say the only change I can think of is installing cs go (which I know shouldn't make a difference but nothing else has changed).

I have tried restarting computer/router/validating files and all that jazz.

Any ideas?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I can't help, but in the past couple of days I haven't been connected to a Virginia server at all, which previously was the usual location I'd get. Maybe they're doing something to certain servers or changing the way the coordinator decides on a server?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

So, a very excited person on Steam discussions had this to say:

quote:

I am not the only one having this issue, believe me. All you have to do is google "tf2 valve servers failed" or just see the occasional post here.

To be blunt, one day magically out of nowhere, I am no longer able to connect to any Luxembourg (and I assume other European) Valve servers because MY IP IS BLOCKED BY THEM FOR NO REASON. It endlessly connects, and then I get "Connection failed after 4 retries."

I do not have a VAC ban, I have not cheated, nor am I using any mods that may cause this issue. This issue randomly appeared out of nowhere. Because of this, I am no longer able to play tf2 through matchmaking at all. Only community servers work.

This has been confirmed by other people with the same issue. Contacting Steam Support will have you ignored, and any solutions you try to use blatantly do not work.

Here is a list of redundant things you can try (that don't work)

- Connecting via "Connect (IP)" in Developer Console (because of the way matchmaking works I don't think you're able to do this anyway)
- Setting a particular port in your Steam Launch Options
- Restarting your computer and router
- Verifying your game cache
- Reinstalling TF2
- Etc

THIS ISSUE WAS FIXED BY PEOPLE CHANGING THEIR IP. Then they are able to connect. There is NO other way to fix this, as Valve will do nothing to help you. I do not know why this occurs but it's absolutely atrocious. Again, because of this, I am no longer able to play through casual matchmaking and therefore do any contracts and other things. I might as well not play at all. The only servers that DO work for me are American-based, such as Virginia, etc. European servers do not work at all.

What I'd like to know is why is my IP blocked by the servers in the first place? Why did this randomly occur out of nowhere, and how do I stop this? I should not have to change my entire IP to play one game. Any other Source Engine game works fine. This is just TF2.

TL;DR: IP magically blocked by Valve European servers for no reason. Unable to play casual matchmaking TF2 because of this. American Servers still work. No way to fix client-side. Server based issue. Only actual fix is changing IP. Stupid.

I don't know what changing IP entails, but according to this angry person it works? I wish Valve had any kind of regular communication so they could explain what's happening with this.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

King Lazer posted:

I can't help, but in the past couple of days I haven't been connected to a Virginia server at all, which previously was the usual location I'd get. Maybe they're doing something to certain servers or changing the way the coordinator decides on a server?

On the flip side I keep being put into Virginia servers despite living in the UK, which is entirely unhelpful. I always spend a minute wondering why things are delayed and why half my shots aren’t connecting until I realise. :saddowns:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really love backburner pyro, it was my first love in this game close to 8 years ago. People get so loving salty when you get in their face and you light them, then immediately reflect their rocket/pills/flare back into them with the backburner.

So loving salty.

if they don't see you, get crits on their back with the Backburner

if they do see you, show them how to use a shotgun

it's a win/win situation for making people upset with the Pyro! :pram:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Butt Detective posted:

On the flip side I keep being put into Virginia servers despite living in the UK, which is entirely unhelpful. I always spend a minute wondering why things are delayed and why half my shots aren’t connecting until I realise. :saddowns:

From what I've seen it's not happening to everyone, but it is happening to a lot of people. They can't connect to their nearest server, but can connect to more distant ones. It's not so bad for me, I only get around 70-80 ping on LA servers, but a lot of people- like you- are having to go much further for second best.

Someone on Steam discussions got a response from support saying it should be fixed in a day or two, but it also kinda looks like a standard brush-off response. Guess it can't hurt to submit a report on it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
actual literal worst tf2 experience ever :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 15, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I want to die out of residual shame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

They sound so bored.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I can't begin to decide whether it's more plausible that it's genuine, or that these guys go around doing impromptu performances on TF2 servers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is what ingame voip was made for

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ditocoaf posted:

I can't begin to decide whether it's more plausible that it's genuine, or that these guys go around doing impromptu performances on TF2 servers.

They sound too bored to be faking it, honestly.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Those of you who can't connect to Luxembourg (or whatever your usual is), does it show up in your ping limit listing?

this thing:

Virginia is just absent from mine, I noticed. I normally don't use a ping limit, so I didn't even know it listed regions like this. I'm wondering if I'm having a different issue altogether now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Sterling, USA is Virginia

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Sterling, USA is Virginia

Oh. Well in that case, I guess I just have worse ping to Virginia now. Weird.

thanks though

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The server shows up exactly as normal and match making ques me up to it as normal it's just I can't connect to it. If I want to play tf2 casual I have to sit in this loop for 10-15 mins where it tries to connect me too luxembourg then I quit out and eventually I get on stockholm (which I have terrible performance on).

Support has come back to me and said they are "looking into issues with the luxembourg servers" and apparently a load of other people are getting this.

If they don't resolve this I think I might finally move on from tf2 which would be a crying shame because it's the best multiplayer fps. It's so frustrating. :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just an update on this. After loads of discussion on the steam forums people realised it's just people from the UK that can't connect.

I was looking into trying a vpn. has any one else used this for playing tf2 before, does it have a significant impact on pings/performance etc.

I get terrible performance on the stockholm servers so I thought it might be worth trying.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

A wild warpy appeared...

Thanks for the heals :toot:

Jippa posted:

Just an update on this. After loads of discussion on the steam forums people realised it's just people from the UK that can't connect.

I was looking into trying a vpn. has any one else used this for playing tf2 before, does it have a significant impact on pings/performance etc.

I get terrible performance on the stockholm servers so I thought it might be worth trying.

region lock uk :confuoot:

One I see mentioned a lot for gaming is https://www.expressvpn.com

I guess you'll just have to do a lot of free trials and figure out which one works best for you

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Warpy posted:

region lock uk :confuoot:

Yeah it's bizarre isn't it. I don't have any real knowledge of how the internet works but that seems really weird like some one has intentionally blocked the uk players from connecting? Does any one with more knowledge about this stuff have an idea what is going on?

I haven't heard of any other issues with routing to websites etc in that region.

Anyway, happy days, I tried a vpn and I'm back playing with maybe 20 more ping but the performance is fine (still way better than stockholm). Man the last time I tried a vpn was maybe 10 years ago and they are so much better now.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can I say that I used a vpn to a steam support guy or will I get hosed for breaking the TOS?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm in the UK and pretty much can't connect to any servers at all. Maybe 1 in 20 tries will find something.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I shouldn't grouse because I know a lot of people have it worse and always have, but I sure miss having less than 90 ping.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf5u36UQk30

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
A year later and I'm still physically incapable of connecting to any in-progress games that my friends are in (and worse, it seems that attempting to join a game locks the queue and prevents ANYONE from joining that particular server until I leave the queue), and trying to get a casual game going with my friends from around the globe leads to 30-minute long waits only to get shoved into an empty server hosted on the moon. Community servers not filled to the brim with lovely custom assets are few and far between.

Are we due for any new content soon, at least?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

did john carter ever go back to med school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Victory Position posted:

did john carter ever go back to med school

Oof. I take it that there's not a lot of hope for the comics, either.

The game's still good and fun; even at 250 ping I can still futz around with Engineer or hose people down with a Heavy, and the blatant hacking has honestly gotten less frequent as of late. But holy crap has the matchmaking done more to kill my gang's interest in the game than anything else in this decade-or-so of hat simulation.

Wasn't there a Heavy update that was in the works to occur after Jungle Inferno?