Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

No idea. They even built it into the source code of the Rage engine.

Exclusivity employee contract clause. Euphoria engine was originally meant to be used for cgi animation, but they later pivoted the idea to video games instead, but because they wanted to prevent their software from being copied by competitors, they require all companies that license their software to hire their animators and their engineers for all things related to Euphoria. It’s not that Rockstar controls them, it’s just they’re the only ones willing to give in to their ridiculous and rather expensive demands. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FO4 progress:

I found an Assault Rifle with the 'shoot additional projectile' bonus on it. Once I upgraded the receiver, it was doing just as much damage as the Overseer's Guardian, only much much faster. Combine that with the bonuses from Rifleman level 5 perk, and this thing just chews through enemies insanely fast. I think I've found a new staple for my arsenal.

E: I almost forgot: I also invested in the Sniper perk, and I've made sure all my semi auto rifles are scoped, so half of the time, I'll be plugging away at something and it will just ragdoll on me. It pretty much lets me stunlock larger enemies, which is hilarious.

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 10, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

kellogg would've been way more interesting if he was a synth with backups, so when you get to the institute you have to choose if you work with him or not, rather than all dialogue options pointing to murder

kellogg was so wasted

For some reason they were extremely cagey with Kellogg's voice actor. Keythe Farley wasn't told what game he was working on, just given the lines and staging info out of context (like "You're the antagonist and it's a sort of gritty film noir thing"). He only learned what he was working on just before release when another actor figured it out.

The article mentions that one of the issues you can run into with this level of secrecy (along with the performance suffering) is that it probably kept him from negotiating a higher fee.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

For some reason they were extremely cagey with Kellogg's voice actor. Keythe Farley wasn't told what game he was working on, just given the lines and staging info out of context (like "You're the antagonist and it's a sort of gritty film noir thing"). He only learned what he was working on just before release when another actor figured it out.

The article mentions that one of the issues you can run into with this level of secrecy (along with the performance suffering) is that it probably kept him from negotiating a higher fee.

I remember hearing about that back in 2016. It was one of the core complaints during the VA Strike right? Such a terrible choice to kneecap your actors by withholding information from them. I'm sure it wasn't a choice by the VA director or anything. Feels like some top-level brass choice. The video game industries' obsession with secrecy during development is dumb as hell.

As for Fallout Games: The scripted openings before letting you free-roam. Good or bad? I feel like FO4s wasn't great and didn't add that much, but I also feel like the sole survivor fish-out-of-water thing was wasted and dumb. There should be an opening sequence in a developed, stable, post-apocalypse society before venturing off into the dangerous frontier or something. Like for a game set on the outskirts of NCR to have its opening bit take place within the safety and structure of a functioning society. It'd be good contrast to the rest of the world, and deal with some of those "how come no one cleans up the loving skeletons and trash they sleep next to" question.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wrr posted:

As for Fallout Games: The scripted openings before letting you free-roam. Good or bad? I feel like FO4s wasn't great and didn't add that much, but I also feel like the sole survivor fish-out-of-water thing was wasted and dumb. There should be an opening sequence in a developed, stable, post-apocalypse society before venturing off into the dangerous frontier or something. Like for a game set on the outskirts of NCR to have its opening bit take place within the safety and structure of a functioning society. It'd be good contrast to the rest of the world, and deal with some of those "how come no one cleans up the loving skeletons and trash they sleep next to" question.

I never have a problem with story as long as it's good story. There's good reason Fallout 3 and 4 get so much use out of making an exit save right as you leave the vault.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

chitoryu12 posted:

I never have a problem with story as long as it's good story. There's good reason Fallout 3 and 4 get so much use out of making an exit save right as you leave the vault.

Fallout 3 saves right out of the vault because the only proper way to start a game is to head straight to the DeathClaw sanctuary to get the stupid bobblehead and you'll rarely make it on the first try. :colbert:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Clawtopsy posted:

kellogg would've been way more interesting if he was a synth with backups, so when you get to the institute you have to choose if you work with him or not, rather than all dialogue options pointing to murder

kellogg was so wasted

Kellogg outright demanding you kill him is actually kind of understandable. If the Institute was running a corrupted version of Asimov's three laws of robotics on Kelloggs cybernetics, Kellogg was as much of a slave as the synths constantly shining the floors back home. Namely, he can't hurt Institute personnel, he can't inflict self harm, and he can't disobey orders - if he did, all that robotic crap would just kick in and do it for him, leaving him a passenger in his own body.

That said, the Memory Den seems to be able to edit or remove these rules in Synths. It would have been nice to plunk his conscience into a synth body and have him be the quest giver for destroying all three factions.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just under 2 months until we get to play the new fallout 76 or fartout 666 for others

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I will almost certainly regret buying 76 but I have a couple friends who will be playing (one of whom feels exactly like I do). Hopefully we can invent enough fun stuff to do to make up for Bethesda's seemingly low-effort MMO attempt.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'll buy this because I'm a sucker who doesn't understand the value of a dollar, but I think it's weird that there's nothing on Steam for it but it's in the Xbox Live console games store.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

I'll buy this because I'm a sucker who doesn't understand the value of a dollar, but I think it's weird that there's nothing on Steam for it but it's in the Xbox Live console games store.

because they're not distributing via steam at this stage, just their store and xbox live and ps4 online or whatever it's called

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

hambeet posted:

because they're not distributing via steam at this stage, just their store and xbox live and ps4 online or whatever it's called

Yeah I did some googling around after I posted and found that out too. I don't know why they would pass on the opportunity for so many more people to buy based on name recognition. Having to seek a game out through the publisher's own store is a surprisingly large impediment to a lot of people.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah I did some googling around after I posted and found that out too. I don't know why they would pass on the opportunity for so many more people to buy based on name recognition. Having to seek a game out through the publisher's own store is a surprisingly large impediment to a lot of people.

Because they figure their users will make it rain anyway, and even if they don't they still get the cash flow from PlayStation and Xbox, so they'll take absolute control of the PC revenue stream. What's the worst that could happen?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hopefully that part of their FO76 plan is an abject failure.

Course we'll have to rely on Bethesda's own reporting on PC sales.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

yeah, but people kept saying that about origin and people still buy battlefield games on pc. it'll be fine. it's probably just some dumb decision about them wanting to charge for mods themselves OR avoid the refund stuff steam has.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

hambeet posted:

yeah, but people kept saying that about origin and people still buy battlefield games on pc. it'll be fine. it's probably just some dumb decision about them wanting to charge for mods themselves OR avoid the refund stuff steam has.

I was thinking it had something to do with wanting to avoid the volatility of Steam reviews. They'd have to offer refunds in some capacity; Steam got forced into it because of either EU or Australian consumer protection laws.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rinkles posted:

Hopefully that part of their FO76 plan is an abject failure.

Course we'll have to rely on Bethesda's own reporting on PC sales.

Depends on what the range of 'crawl back to Steam' is on the net income spectrum (sandwiched between 'we're rolling our own from here on' and 'welp gently caress PC').

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They don't want people refunding the game if they buy through Steam

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Maybe they just don't want steam taking a cut of the profits if they don't need to

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

2house2fly posted:

Maybe they just don't want steam taking a cut of the profits if they don't need to

Why not both?

You're all really limiting the scummy nature of a company here.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
People competing with Steam is cool and good.

See also: Origin launching with a better refund policy than Steam.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Counterpoint: Installing extra games launchers is like walking into your local Planned Parenthood and asking them to infect you with extra STDs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Schubalts posted:

They aren't people.

:capitalism:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Schubalts posted:

Yeah, it'd be awesome if steam went out of business and we were all out thousands

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont think steam is going to go out of business because someone put their game on a different launcher

that being said I wish there were more actual competitors rather than one company putting their game on a lovely bloated launcher

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Azhais posted:

Yeah, it'd be awesome if steam went out of business and we were all out thousands

BREAKING NEWS: Todd Howard Single-Handedly Puts Steam Out of Business Because He Wants All the Money

Who's laughing now?!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Bethesda's not going through Steam because Steam's customer service doesn't meet the service standard that Bethesda wants to uphold and I'm just loving with you we all know it's about the money.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Dalael posted:

Bethesda's not going through Steam because Steam's customer service doesn't meet the service standard that Bethesda wants to uphold and I'm just loving with you we all know it's about the money.

They sure do want all the money, what Bethesda really want to do is monetize mods as a whole using their own independent service, which they can't due right now because Value won't let them the after the disaster when they partnered up and tried it with Skyrim.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
To put boobs on your bloatfly please paypal Todd $5.99 directly to: thoward@bethesda.com

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Azhais posted:

Competing with a near monopoly =/= driving them out of business, you loon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NeurosisHead posted:

I was thinking it had something to do with wanting to avoid the volatility of Steam reviews. They'd have to offer refunds in some capacity; Steam got forced into it because of either EU or Australian consumer protection laws.

Nah. It's because steam wants a cut if they're going to do microtransactions for stuff. Same reason they push the CC as 'game updates' on FO4, because Steam wanted a cut otherwise.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FO4 progress: Currently making my way through The Nucleus, and man, those Assaultrons are no joke. I've run in to 2 Legendary ones before I was able to reach the mainframe, and they could both 1 shot me. Oh, and they're invisible too, so by the time I can lock on with VATS, I'm already missing a limb. I tried to set a trap, by dropping a Pulse mine, then a bottlecap mine, and luring one in.
The 'tron ran over both mines without slowing, and one-shotted me as I blasted away at it in futility.
I ended up having to drop the difficulty down in order to get past them.

Anywho, now I'm inside the memory computer and playing a tower defence game, wooo.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think I'm running some Tales of the Commonwealth content in my new Horizon playthrough. Did a quest that was plopped into Hallucigen about finding the recipe for Ultra Jet. I liked it, short and sweet, with characters that were weird and unique without having incredibly deep ~lore~ around them.

Finally getting an automatic weapon in Horizon feels so powerful. I went from carefully plinking away with headshots to occasionally getting ready to let rip with a heavy automatic. Tossing a stun grenade at Skinny Malone and his crew while he was still talking and mowing down all but one person with a single magazine felt great. Felt super lethal.

How y'all feel about companions? I swear they're programmed to run and stand directly in front of me at all times when I'm trying to go through doorways or shoot. I almost never bring any with people just out of sheer annoyance. Do people actually get seriously attached to them?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Schubalts posted:

I agree with you in theory, but given Bethesda's track record (especially regarding the way they handle mods) I feel like being a bit skeptical about how all of this is going to play out is justified.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Wrr posted:

How y'all feel about companions? I swear they're programmed to run and stand directly in front of me at all times when I'm trying to go through doorways or shoot. I almost never bring any with people just out of sheer annoyance. Do people actually get seriously attached to them?

I've always used companions, but I've only really started noticing an issue with them during my current sniper playthrough. I want to max out affinity for MacReady and Deacon since their perks will synergize with my stealth/ silenced/VATS build really well.

But it seems whenever I'm indoors (which sucks enough as a sniper) and I'm peaking through a door trying to line up a shot MacReady loves to get right in my way.

Can't wait until I get their affinity perks so I can just travel alone with dogmeat* since he doesn't get in the way as much and even without the dog perks can keep enemies locked in place to snipe.

*I'm using a mod allowing you to have a companion and dogmeat. Totally recommend.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If you're indoors as a sniper build, just use a shotgun since most of the perks work for both.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Keeshhound posted:

If you're indoors as a sniper build, just use a shotgun since most of the perks work for both.

Well I am when the engagement range is close enough. Even put a short scope on it to benefit from sniper perk.

I'll still use a rifle shooting down a hall, or across a vault atrium.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Werix posted:

I've always used companions, but I've only really started noticing an issue with them during my current sniper playthrough. I want to max out affinity for MacReady and Deacon since their perks will synergize with my stealth/ silenced/VATS build really well.

But it seems whenever I'm indoors (which sucks enough as a sniper) and I'm peaking through a door trying to line up a shot MacReady loves to get right in my way.

Can't wait until I get their affinity perks so I can just travel alone with dogmeat* since he doesn't get in the way as much and even without the dog perks can keep enemies locked in place to snipe.

*I'm using a mod allowing you to have a companion and dogmeat. Totally recommend.

Dogmeat was by far the worst offender of it for me. I think he's programmed to run ahead of you like a real dog, but instead he runs three feet ahead of me and stops so I'm constantly tripping over him. Much like a real dog. He also loves the just stand in doorways so I've learned to just jump right over him. I really wouldn't mind if companions had no collision on them. . .

But, otherwise he is excellent for tying people so I can run up to them and VATS their heads off with a saw'd off. I do have that mod for the companions tho, considering having unlimited companions so I can have dogmeat, Nick, and whoever else at the moment. Why would I ever want to be without Nick? He's my man, the only companion I've ever truly been all about.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
It's hard to get frustrated at 3D FO companions when you've played the 2D games - there's no jumping over them when they're blocking doors, and they literally kill you or your other companions at any given opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
There is also a mod that lets you push companions out of the way. It works on enemies and settlers too!