Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

how can one person be this loving dense christ

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the joke sucks but it feels way more likely they're just ludicrously out of touch tonedeaf 47 year olds like most aaa video game writers. why the hell is doom trying to do political commentary anyway. it's doom.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the only bad thing to me about the doom thing is that its just an overplayed joke

like i get it and stuff but yeah its whatever. Anyway I ultimately don't care

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeah it's a poorly written joke and calling them out about it is good, actually

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

babypolis posted:

lol goons like doom so i guess everyone will gloss over some pretty lovely jokes, cool cool cool

If I didn't have a powerful ability to gloss over lovely jokes I'd have a much harder time reading the SA forums.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

If I didn't have a powerful ability to gloss over lovely jokes I'd have a much harder time reading the SA forums.

So you've never read a single one of your own posts heyooo.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

the joke sucks but it feels way more likely they're just ludicrously out of touch tonedeaf 47 year olds like most aaa video game writers. why the hell is doom trying to do political commentary anyway. it's doom.

sure i could buy that. still extremely lovely and inappropriate in the current political climate

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

sure i could buy that. still extremely lovely and inappropriate in the current political climate

the current political climate is why the joke is good, and well written, actually

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the current political climate is why the joke is good, and well written, actually

no shut the gently caress up and think about what your dumb rear end brain is saying for one second in your life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it just reminds me of the aug lives matter poo poo from mankind divided in terms of an aaa company having literally zero idea what it's doing but knowing there's a Politics happening, somewhere

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

no shut the gently caress up and think about what your dumb rear end brain is saying for one second in your life

you realize the uac are the bad guys, right

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I grapple to a demon and just as I'm going to pull his face off and impale him with his own jawbone he demands to know If I assumed his gender

Goty

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

it just reminds me of the aug lives matter poo poo from mankind divided in terms of an aaa company having literally zero idea what it's doing but knowing there's a Politics happening, somewhere

black lives matter is way more mainstream that what is being referenced here tho, imo

Cowcaster posted:

you realize the uac are the bad guys, right

yeah and they are using the same language a liberal would use to refer to immigrants. can you not see the loving correlation here??? is your brain too diseased???

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just change my username to SATIRE REQUIRES A CLARITY OF PURPOSE AND TARGET LEST IT BE MISTAKEN FOR AND CONTRIBUTE TO THAT WHICH IT INTENDS TO CRITICIZE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
extremely online leftists often get very mad about inconsequential things in video games and other media due to their overwhelming impotence in every aspect of life that matters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Relax Or DIE posted:

I grapple to a demon and just as I'm going to pull his face off and impale him with his own jawbone he demands to know If I assumed his gender

Goty

one time i looked at the weird games thread and someone posted a robert yang game about jacking off your car and someone made a joke about assuming the car's gender and i've never looked at the thread again since

well, that's my story

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Endorph posted:

They got a bunch of internet buzz for the bad Wolfenstein sequel when they bravely came out to say "Nazis...bad!"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

yeah and they are using the same language a liberal would use to refer to immigrants. can you not see the loving correlation here??? is your brain too diseased???

yes, that's what the bad guys do? they take the words that sound good to liberals and use them to couch xenophobic and genocidal ideologies in terms liberals like?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

extremely online leftists often get very mad about inconsequential things in video games and other media due to their overwhelming impotence in every aspect of life that matters

Hard to fit on a hat but I'll take it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

yes, that's what the bad guys do? they take the words that sound good to liberals and use them to couch xenophobic and genocidal ideologies in terms liberals like?

yeah thats whats going on here. clearly doom is a complex critique of capitalism coopting revolutionary language. jesus loving christ

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

yeah thats whats going on here. clearly doom is a complex critique of capitalism coopting revolutionary language. jesus loving christ

this, but unironically

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

sounds like every human being alive friend

al-azad
May 28, 2009

babypolis posted:

id like someone to show me a single loving example of a corporation talking about refugees and melting pots

I work for the government and that's totally the language that's used. Every month there's some reflective email on diversity and how the federal government employs people and foreign nationals from all around the world including asylum seekers (granted the number of these emails took a sharp decline around February 2017). The irony of course being a lot of these foreign nations the government regularly recruits from (Vietnam, Korea, Pakistan) have a history of being crushed by Imperial powers.

I don't really know where this conversation is headed but the important thing about the UAC is that they acknowledge demons exist and are the inevitable result of solving earth's energy crisis. Doom 2016 from the very beginning shows that their entire corporate structure and corporate facing was built around dealing with hell. The message here isn't a jab at social justice, it's a corporation saying "keep calm and carry on" because energy is more important than flesh eating demons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

al-azad posted:

I don't really know where this conversation is headed but the important thing about the UAC is that they acknowledge demons exist and are the inevitable result of solving earth's energy crisis. Doom 2016 from the very beginning shows that their entire corporate structure and corporate facing was built around dealing with hell. The message here isn't a jab at social justice, it's a corporation saying "keep calm and carry on" because energy is more important than flesh eating demons.

quote:

"Should you find yourself caught in a level 3 demon contamination event, it is important that you remain calm. A Tier 3 advocate wouldn't panic, and neither should you. [...] Shut down any volatile equipment you may be using. Should you be unable to escape from the demons, it is important that you don't leave that plasma cutter running where it could damage an important piece of machinery. [...] If there is no obvious escape route and you have powered down your equipment, give yourself over to the demon willingly. Studies have shown that infuriating a demon by running away can cause additional frustration in the predator, and that may result in your body being too badly mutilated for useful post mortem study. Simply kneel down, close your eyes, and wait. Remember you can be as useful in death as you are in life."
Codex: Environments: Argent Facility: Calm Under Pressure

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

I work for the government and that's totally the language that's used. Every month there's some reflective email on diversity and how the federal government employs people and foreign nationals from all around the world including asylum seekers (granted the number of these emails took a sharp decline around February 2017). The irony of course being a lot of these foreign nations the government regularly recruits from (Vietnam, Korea, Pakistan) have a history of being crushed by Imperial powers.

you said it yourself, they talked about diversity and inclusivity and what not. they dont refer to the workplace as a melting pot because thats a weird use of the phrase

same thing with your second paragraph, a corp would say things like "demons? there are no such things as demons! just ignore the hellish visions and carry on!!" they wouldnt go say poo poo like welcome our demon friends

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah clearly there's text satirizing corporations in the game, but the "mortally challenged" thing is like very close to a "did you just assume my gender" kind of thing that not-very-funny reactionaries have been doing. it's just a misstep, and probably written by an oldass dude who isn't aware of the moment like someone else said

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

you said it yourself, they talked about diversity and inclusivity and what not. they dont refer to the workplace as a melting pot because thats a weird use of the phrase

same thing with your second paragraph, a corp would say things like "demons? there are no such things as demons! just ignore the hellish visions and carry on!!" they wouldnt go say poo poo like welcome our demon friends

you literally haven't played doom 2016 have you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

babypolis posted:

Except the premise of Doom is that a corporation very openly and publicly opened a portal to hell and wouldn't be denying the existence of them :confused:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

no i have not and i didnt know that. guess that makes the joke make a bit more sense but still super gross

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

babypolis posted:

no i have not and i didnt know that.

wow it's almost like getting all your opinions secondhand from fifth-rate twitterati makes you sound like a dumbass

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wait, you're saying the person arguing for the most negative interpretation in the most aggressive way actually has the least context out of anyone? On the internet??

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm just glad to come out of an internet discussion for the first time where i'm not the one being a furious dumbass

May 8, 2006

Bad news, friend

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

wow it's almost like getting all your opinions secondhand from fifth-rate twitterati makes you sound like a dumbass

no ones talking about doom 2016 dumbass. other than missing out on that bit of context what does it matter? doesnt change my mind on how lovely those jokes are

but keep railing agaisnt some invisible ghost i guess (i dont even like twitter)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

babypolis posted:

no i have not

jesus christ lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

no ones talking about doom 2016 dumbass. other than missing out on that bit of context what does it matter? doesnt change my mind on how lovely those jokes are

but keep railing agaisnt some invisible ghost i guess (i dont even like twitter)

the reason the uac is espousing fascist bullshit is because the uac are fascists, hth

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Truly, John was the demons.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the reason the uac is espousing fascist bullshit is because the uac are fascists, hth

im not a loving moron i have absorbed enough context to get the basic plot of doom 2016. we return to the same point: why are the fascist bad guys using liberal language? you say its a mockery of corps coopting liberal language, i say thats convoluted and dumb and so on as far as we want to keep this farce going

DLC Inc posted:

jesus christ lol

i really dont see why its so relevant to the discussion of its sequel?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Oxxidation posted:

DnD is leaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
quake 1 was better than doom 1

• Locked thread