Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

everybody's being dumb in a different way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

babypolis posted:

i really dont see why its so relevant to the discussion of its sequel?

Because knowing how the entity from DOOM would and would not speak, in-universe, can help you determine when you should hate the UAC and when you should hate the writers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"Why do fascists corrupt good things?" Truly, a question for the ages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let's keep in mind that, babypolis aside, very few people are that mad about the jokes in doom but the internet alt-right love acting like the 12 people that have gottne mad about it are the entirety of the internet, and have tweets with thousands of rts going on about how leftists are limpwristed based off, one random tweet they found from someone with 12 followers

so maybe this isnt really a 'leftists suck HEH' thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

my fav part of doom is when they make fun of boring talky bits in action games then do a bunch of them anyway

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think the Doom Marine would lose to Master Chief in a straight-up fight don't loving at me.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Colonel posted:

quake 1 was better than doom 1

extremely this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doom 2016 annoyed me because for some reason it would occasionally permanently lock doors behind you, despite being open to back tracking 85% of the time, so if you missed anything you'd have to start the stage again.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Saint Freak posted:

I think the Doom Marine would lose to Master Chief in a straight-up fight don't loving at me.

smh that no one is mad at this

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Endorph posted:

let's keep in mind that, babypolis aside, very few people are that mad about the jokes in doom but the internet alt-right love acting like the 12 people that have gottne mad about it are the entirety of the internet, and have tweets with thousands of rts going on about how leftists are limpwristed based off, one random tweet they found from someone with 12 followers

so maybe this isnt really a 'leftists suck HEH' thing

it's a weird turd eating it's own tail thing going on where there's a few people getting upset because they don't understand the satire, the alt-right chuds crowing because it's "triggering the libs" while simultaneously also not understanding the satire, some people upset because the point of the satire being missed by the alt-right chuds kind of just makes it straight up not satire, some people upset because it's pretty good satire ruined by people missing the point, and at least one person mad because they can't think up a better term for the whole situation than "ourobowelos"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uhwgzXs8eg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

it's a weird turd eating it's own tail thing going on where there's a few people getting upset because they don't understand the satire, the alt-right chuds crowing because it's "triggering the libs" while simultaneously also not understanding the satire, some people upset because the point of the satire being missed by the alt-right chuds kind of just makes it straight up not satire, and at least one person mad because they can't think up a better term for the whole situation than "ourobowelos"
tbf i think its possible to criticize the satire, while getting it. like i think the joke is just confused and ineffectual and it was dumb to put it front and center in the trailer, but i dont think the developers are nazis or anything, just morons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

babypolis posted:

you said it yourself, they talked about diversity and inclusivity and what not. they dont refer to the workplace as a melting pot because thats a weird use of the phrase

same thing with your second paragraph, a corp would say things like "demons? there are no such things as demons! just ignore the hellish visions and carry on!!" they wouldnt go say poo poo like welcome our demon friends

No, I've totally seen "melting pot" used, it's not a weird phrase to me. Even in the Trump administration the federal government does its damned hardest to co-opt what the far right would call "PC culture" because then if they come under criticism they can say "well, we do everything to create a friendly environment."

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

babypolis posted:

lol goons like doom so i guess everyone will gloss over some pretty lovely jokes, cool cool cool

What are we going on about here? Doom Eternal? Doom 2016? Jokes? Fascist? I thought Doom was blowing the faces off demons and one of the best soundtrack in any game.

Your not listening to the dialogue or, Satan forbid, reading something in a doom game are you?

Golgo13 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 10, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

master chief has a suit that sucks him off, he'd lose in a heartbeat after getting his dick drained

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

quake 1 was better than doom 1

Yeah, I would expect the game that came out 3 years later by the same team would improve upon the formula.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

Yeah, I would expect the game that came out 3 years later by the same team would improve upon the formula.

Explain Quake 2 then.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unreal was better than quake 2 except both of them have equally good music in different ways

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wamdoodle posted:

Not wrong, master chief would just punch him in the back

Also the suit fleshlight thing is not real sorry

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

penrose turdangle

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have more nostalgia for Doom but Quake was better.

Is it possible to play Quake 1 with modern mouse & keyboard controls? I played it keyboard only like Doom lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

haveblue posted:

Not wrong, master chief would just punch him in the back

unless they changed it back the last halo i played made you have to hold b to backstab people instead of punching

not my favorite part of reach

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it possible to play Quake 1 with modern mouse & keyboard controls? I played it keyboard only like Doom lol.

yeah quake 1 has mouselook

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

look i know im way over reacting here but this kinda stuff sickens me and i dont like it seeing anywhere near a AAA game. games that explicity appeal to chuds is something that could easily happen in the near future and i dunno i just see this kinda stuff as a harbinger of that

ill stop know, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with politics bullshit

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

it's. i'd recommend just downloading quakespasm and turning off texture filtering and maybe interpolation if you want the og jerky animations, otherwise it's basically identical to og quake but it's just easier to set up and runs smoother

that's not necessary though, it's just easier than messing with command line stuff for glquake

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

look i know im way over reacting here but this kinda stuff sickens me and i dont like it seeing anywhere near a AAA game. games that explicity appeal to chuds is something that could easily happen in the near future and i dunno i just see this kinda stuff as a harbinger of that

don't worry friend the call of duty series isn't going anywhere anytime soon

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

babypolis posted:

You're seeing chuds where there are none. What sickened you exactly and when was the last time you went outside

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Colonel posted:

unless they changed it back the last halo i played made you have to hold b to backstab people instead of punching

not my favorite part of reach

IIRC they didn't take out the old one-punch-death if you just tap B, holding B gets you a fancy flourish assassination but you don't have to do that to get the kill and it's only good for showboating in PVP because it will break stealth against the AI. (I also have not played the recent games.)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

don't worry friend the call of duty series isn't going anywhere anytime soon

sorry for being mad at you cowcaster i think ur cool but i strongly disagree with your interpretation here, should have left it at that instead of melting down

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
steps to optimal quake 1 expeience:
1. take over the dorm's computer lab w/ your buddies and install it on all of 'em
2. hell ya

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You're seeing chuds where there are none. What sickened you exactly and when was the last time you went outside

im mexican so not a whole lot. doesnt mean theres plenty of reason for me to fear the rising tide of fascism in the us

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what Scorched Earth was for because lol if you thought school computers ran Quake when I was there.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
alternative: use darkplaces without any texture or model replacements so you just have this incredibly 90s-rear end game with inexplicably fancy, detailed lighting that makes it almost impossible to see

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

babypolis posted:

ill stop know, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with politics bullshit

nah, the outright far-RW grift is mostly in low-budget crap

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

sorry for being mad at you cowcaster i think ur cool but i strongly disagree with your interpretation here, should have left it at that instead of melting down

if it helps at all i get that your anger is coming from a good place but i think it is just aimed at the wrong target in this particular instance

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

babypolis posted:

always be talking about politics imo

I'm reasonably sure the people who whinge about politics infesting their favorite thread are the ones with the dumbest opinions, or at least have their heads firmly stuck in the sand

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how did Quake Champions pan out?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

alternative: use darkplaces without any texture or model replacements so you just have this incredibly 90s-rear end game with inexplicably fancy, detailed lighting that makes it almost impossible to see

lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

always be talking about politics imo

I'm reasonably sure the people who whinge about politics infesting their favorite thread are the ones with the dumbest opinions, or at least have their heads firmly stuck in the sand

ehh theres a whole forum for talking about politics and its also everywhere outside the forums so having a space safe of that constant stress is good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DLC Inc posted:

how did Quake Champions pan out?

i watched a guy stream it and it started killing his computer and his internet and then they gave it away for free after an e3 conference

• Locked thread