Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a non-complicated way to use my Nintendo Switch Pro Controller with my Wii U?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barudak posted:

Not really. Its charming but combat starts bad and then stays bad but in increasing amounts.

You obviously didn't understand the combat.

It's good. It's a ccg essentially, and the combat layouts are essentially puzzles to solve "how do you beat all these events before they get a turn" so you lose less resources and gain more. Replacement cards are plentiful, and the game very quickly gives you multiple attacks, the lack of which was a problem in the previous one.

The action input in combat is also better than previous Mario RPGs because rather than either success or failure there are various degrees of success which are harder to get, so you can be the judge of whether "Great" will be good enough for you or if you really need that "Excellent" and are willing to risk screwing it up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

You obviously didn't understand the combat.

It's good. It's a ccg essentially, and the combat layouts are essentially puzzles to solve "how do you beat all these events before they get a turn" so you lose less resources and gain more. Replacement cards are plentiful, and the game very quickly gives you multiple attacks, the lack of which was a problem in the previous one.

The action input in combat is also better than previous Mario RPGs because rather than either success or failure there are various degrees of success which are harder to get, so you can be the judge of whether "Great" will be good enough for you or if you really need that "Excellent" and are willing to risk screwing it up

That’s sounds awful.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking relatively to other mario rpgs that were more varied and unique with their content

it is extremely lame that most of the npcs are generic toads but the dialogue is super good and there are still unique characters even though they don't have unique designs. the bridge enthusiast and the bridge enthusiast enthusiast melted my heart

I just want to take the opportunity to remind everybody that

Geno is a minor character from the 5th best Mario RPG game at best, who had no personality, no development, no character arc, and not a single interesting thing about him other than music from a forest he appears near.

Hopefully he does not appear in Smash Bros.

yeah I'd much rather have Mallow

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mallow would be much better.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RCarr posted:

The only Mario RPG game I've played is the best one (SMRPG). What's the easiest way to play the others if I don't have a N64 or Gamecube?

you have a computer don't you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s sounds awful.

It is, since even doing a turn requires you sorting through a pile of 100 cards then deciding how much paint to apply, then doing timed attacks. Combat takes forever and never feels particularly risky but remains clunky to actually do the entire time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barudak posted:

It is, since even doing a turn requires you sorting through a pile of 100 cards then deciding how much paint to apply, then doing timed attacks. Combat takes forever and never feels particularly risky but remains clunky to actually do the entire time.

Sounds like you are bad at it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Booster as a Wario clone.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the music from Mallow's hometown and the volcano dungeon immediately following it are fresh as heck but people don't remember those tracks as well because they're from the last chunk of game rather than the first chunk

https://youtu.be/5LYwswH1bQA
https://youtu.be/LgSwxY5cW_o

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I think Mario from Super Mario RPG should be in Smash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sounds like you are bad at it.

I never said it was hard, in fact for the amount of time a single attack setup takes its way too easy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All Mallow does is cry the whole game. Thank god the best combo is Mario, Peach and Bowser

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RandomFerret posted:

Heres an artist rendering

You can't smash me, I'm the Cake Boss!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
They're totally gonna announce an XB2 character for Smash ahead of the Torna expansion this week.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

THE loving MOON posted:

They're totally gonna announce an XB2 character for Smash ahead of the Torna expansion this week.

That be neat, better be Nia.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mallow is a badass storm wizard who isn't afraid to show his emotions and whose tears summon torrential downpours

bowser is the best party member but he's already in smash

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

My gues is Rex/Pyra with an Adam/Mythra costume. Or echo, whatever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please no more anime characters. I can't handle it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

Smash is 95% anime characters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Smash is 95% anime characters.

It should be 100%

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

It should be 100%

Agreed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crossposted to the smash thread but oops apparently the Mallowchat was here, so HERE IT IS AGAIN

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

gently caress yes, give me the scottish catperson with ringblades so I can hear HEALEHN HAYLOH 20 times a round

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Jesus, Nia would be way better.

But it's gonna be Rex, make your peace with it :rip:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

gently caress yes, give me the scottish catperson with ringblades so I can hear HEALEHN HAYLOH 20 times a round

Yeah that would own.

Rex would be fine but not the same.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

American McGay posted:

Gonna lay down some hard truths:

Most characters in Smash are Japanese cartoon-style video game characters

Therefore most characters in Smash are anime

E: Is there any way to get Pyra and Mythra without Rex because that dude is like, Corrin tier to me

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hmm, until now I had thought Hyper Light Drifter was one of those abstract rhythm games where you fly through space, jut from the name.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Is there any way to get Pyra and Mythra without Rex because that dude is like, Corrin tier to me

yes, as Assist Trophies

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Welsh

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gonna lay down some hard truths:

Most characters in Smash are Japanese cartoon-style video game characters

Therefore most characters in Smash are anime

I dunno, maybe. Make Pyra do the cool ninja poo poo she does in the first cutscene fight with malos and then never again.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 10, 2018

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ok, but what if it were actually Zeke?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Hmm, until now I had thought Hyper Light Drifter was one of those abstract rhythm games where you fly through space, jut from the name.

Same.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
That'd be cool. We are in the Bizarro universe afterall, we diverted from prime ages ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

You have a dash which is the hyper light, you do it a bunch you can drift with it, and you are a drifter who wears garish 90s hyper light colors.

Theres also a translateable backstory that like .0001% of players bother with and I dont know if the switch exclusive area has any lore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

4. Paper Mario Color Splash
5. Paper Mario the 1000 Year Door

Arrest this man

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I would love to get a full pair of joycons in either of these colours. The Pikachu one is exactly the shade of yellow I've been wanting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sakurai typically finalizes a development outline including final character roster at the start of development, so it's unlikely any XB2 characters would be playable. Development began on this before XB2.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

Arrest this man

5. Paper Mario the 1000 Yard Corridor You Go Back and Forth Across a Dozen Times a Chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Combat in Color Splash is a puzzle much like putting a round peg in a round hole is technically a puzzle

• Locked thread