Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Broken Cog posted:

Is it possible to actually wipe out a faction for good?

I think something like that might be coming in the next update, but don't quote me on that. I heard that if you can get relations high enough with the Shek Nation, you might be able to get them to crusade against the HN, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, potentially dumb question here- does wearing multiple layers of armour help? Can I 'stack' a shirt and the armour above it, is what I mean. Also, is there a unit limit or the like? Because I've got quite a few duders, and I can't seem to talk to recruitable characters anymore, uniques or generics, which is sad.

EDIT: I've just got the idea of simply modding a start where I've got all the uniques (or at least the ones I want, to hell with Headshot and other slavers)- has anyone tried this? Will it break the game?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The way armour work is it rolls to see if it hits each part. For example, if you have armour that 50% covers the stomach and leg armour that covers 40% of the stomach, it'd roll twice, once at 50%, once at 40%, to see if it bypasses the armour to hit.

So yes, you can stack it.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: I've just got the idea of simply modding a start where I've got all the uniques (or at least the ones I want, to hell with Headshot and other slavers)- has anyone tried this? Will it break the game?

Woah woah woah whats wrong with Headshot? She's the best npc. Pair her up with another Shek and watch the salt flow.

If you make the mod right the uniques won't show up at all in their usual recruitment spots, if you do it wrong you can end up with multiple Beeps.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What if two armours provide 100% protection to the same spot? Will the damage be applied to one, then any remainder to the other?

That Guy Bob posted:

If you make the mod right the uniques won't show up at all in their usual recruitment spots, if you do it wrong you can end up with multiple Beeps.

I see nothing wrong with this scenario :colbert: Seriously though, it seems like certain NPCs are coded as 'unique', which if I'm reading correctly, means that my mod should override their generation in their specific towns.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

CommissarMega posted:

What if two armours provide 100% protection to the same spot? Will the damage be applied to one, then any remainder to the other?

Yes, all armour pieces covering a part are rolled in succession and can all apply, however the way cut damage is reduced is a little weird. Part of the damage that's resisted is converted into blunt damage according to the cut resistance efficiency of the armour, the remaining cut damage can be further reduced by other armour layers, but the portion that's converted to blunt damage is immediately applied, so stacking armour is less effective against cut damage.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

which is sort of the opposite of how it should work

I met Beep in Mongrel, incidentally. How the gently caress did he get there

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
By accident, probably.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah the armor equation stuff is definitely wierd. Armor really doesn't seem to make as big a difference as toughness with the exception of resisting crossbow damage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Early on it does not a lot, but it certainly helps. The problem is early on you're constantly staggered and getting hit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

where

the gently caress

do i find engineering research

libraries don't have it. armories don't have it. the two workshops i've found (complex and purple sands) don't have it, although they got a 90-difficulty chest i can't get into and don't know how to skill up for

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

where

the gently caress

do i find engineering research

libraries don't have it. armories don't have it. the two workshops i've found (complex and purple sands) don't have it, although they got a 90-difficulty chest i can't get into and don't know how to skill up for

On the west coast of Vain (The hive/jungle area) there is an ancient workshop on an island just off shore. I found around 6 Engineering Research there. It might be a bit random, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ahh i tried swimming there then realised the water was acid, also beak things attacked me

i will return, now that i have Beep and am Strong

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The stuff you find is random, works off of maximum values for research or equipment that are different for each location. So the location will have up to a maximum amount and finding research is not guaranteed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

welp time to export-import i guess, if the sea workshop doesn't help me

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The more buildings mod adds trees and a way to make engineering/ancient books, though it is very time intensive and probably needs 5-6 constant workers to put them out at any real pace.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I bought 4 engineering research from the vendor at Black Desert City but I don't think those are guaranteed and I'm pretty sure they don't restock.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Another useful tip is that there are probably more containers in each ruin than you think. You might think that this 2x2 stack of boxes is one container but actually each individual crate is separate and you might need to rotate the camera to find the hotspot for small containers.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I also randomly found a waystation that would restock ancient books and engineer research, so that was kinda op

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
I once found an ancient lab with 6 AI cores so yeah, the loot is incredibly random, just keep searching or import, also this

Mr. Pool posted:

Another useful tip is that there are probably more containers in each ruin than you think. You might think that this 2x2 stack of boxes is one container but actually each individual crate is separate and you might need to rotate the camera to find the hotspot for small containers.

There's actually like 20 containers at the top of an ancient lab for example, make sure you check them all, also in the workshop complexes there will be boxes placed on some of the crafting stations so be sure to check those too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i've done the pixelhunting; i guess i've just been unlucky so far

next plan is to get everyone to wear as much steampunk ashlands nerd gear as possible, and check out the deadlands to see if the skelingtons will sell to me

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way to change spawn points in the ingame editor? Because I had a squad of paladins just pop up in the middle of my base (there's no way in or out except through the gates, I checked). What's the use of walls if they can't keep undesirables out? :sad:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That literally just started happening in my game so I'm glad to know I'm not alone here

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah i've done the pixelhunting; i guess i've just been unlucky so far

next plan is to get everyone to wear as much steampunk ashlands nerd gear as possible, and check out the deadlands to see if the skelingtons will sell to me

They're usually in locked containers so you should train up lockpicking too

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
I loaded my save yesterday and had 2 bandit revenge groups (for stabbing a demanding dust bandit in the face) and a shek 'return for blood' spawn inside my walls. Granted I have multiple sets of walls so they weren't inside inside where my buildings are, but something is messed up with this patch. I guess while I was playing those attacks were supposed to happen separately but something wasn't triggered correctly, so loading any of the autosaves from the same 'day' resulted in them immediately spawning in a huge swarm.

I dismantled a back wall and ran like a coward. The shek took care of the dust bandits then went about their day.

Also if you do end up with any tribute demand groups be sure to let the dialog reach the end point otherwise it doesn't seem to satisfy them despite the war leader saying otherwise. You'll have additional dialog options beyond 'I bend, take whatever' and 'fight me'

I assume this is also a bug.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a reliable city to find robotic limbs in? Like ones better than Hive stick limbs?

Also I love that limbs are "plug-and-play". I'd like to imagine they pop on and off like legos. Are there any enemies with robo limbs? can I sneak-KO them and pop them off when they're unconscious?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

roboshack waystation in the borderlands, near the inaccessible corner of the map, is good to start with; then Mongrel, then the skeleton city

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The roboshack one is probably the best one to go for. All the others are super dangerous, but I got a masterwork left arm from that shack.

Shame the guy inside never sleeps!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

dogstile posted:

The roboshack one is probably the best one to go for. All the others are super dangerous, but I got a masterwork left arm from that shack.

Shame the guy inside never sleeps!

You can still steal from him if you wait until night and stick to the shadows near the entrance of his shack

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My guys aren't quite so good at the whole stealth thing yet, so him not sleeping throws the chance way down even if i can do it without him seeing me.

My new pain in the rear end is Garru, most of the time they're fine, but occasionally they'll go for me randomly. Wanted to head towards UN territory last night, figured it might take me an hour or so.

Went outside, Garru attack. Ok, fine, whatever. Went back in, healed up. While my guys were healing another pack attacked my combat dudes who were mining to pass the time. Now they need to heal up.

Made like 8k and got some combat experience off of it, so not too bad, but i spent the remaining 30 minutes or so cooking meat and researching because "gently caress it, not getting there tonight".

I have like 300 dried meat now though. I really, really went through the animal population on this run. Thanks Mercs!

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
Stealth is the easiest skill in the game to level if you can set it up right. Like you can go from 0-80 in a single in game day. You gain a small amount of experience from sneaking in the presence of any character, but it's much higher if the character is hostile or you're committing a crime against them and the more hostile characters nearby the faster it increases. So make an enemy of a faction or just provoke a group so they'll attack you on sight, then sneak around just outside their detection range. Dust bandit camps work for this but I've found the best target is Holy Nation military bases assuming you don't mind pissing them off. If you sneak around outside the wall opposite the gate everyone in the base will be considered close enough to threaten you, but since there's a wall in the way they'll never actually detect you.

Once you've gotten stealth up to 80 or so you can run at full speed in stealth so you can just train it constantly. It's the only skill I've ever gotten over 90 because it's just so easy to train.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, stealth is kinda nutty for how good it is. You can have one dude sneak up and knock out an entire patrol before they get to you if you get it high enough and its not difficult to train up both of those.

Its very useful when people are trying to raid you. Raid's either don't happen or they do, but they're either missing half their number or a lot of them woke up having misplaced their weapons and armour.

Griz
May 21, 2001

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
:perfect:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
New map dropped in beta branch, not sure if I want to try it. Haven't played beta in this and I'm not sure how unstable it will be, but hopefully it's fine?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's fine for most people. I'm not heading to that area yet though, its reported to be a murdery as gently caress zone and my current save I can still barely survive in the loving wetlands.

I'm setting up camp here to train off of it though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So TGS starts soon, and I'm looking at the schedule right now and LoFi Games is doing a Kenshi thing at 11 a.m. JST. Which is an hour and a half from now.

I believe it's going to be streamed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcEdnFszu_Q

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"the most important thing about this game is that it tortures the player"

e: "I don't know if they're hostile or friendly because I can't read Japanese"

This is very much not a game that is interesting to watch in real time lol. It doesn't help that he's demoing the early game, which is very slow and not all that interesting since it's mostly getting your rear end kicked until it doesn't hurt so much.

lmao he ran into an acid-rain biome infested with beak tings and got turbo-murdered live during the TGS panel

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 20, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah its a very specific type of game. I don't think it has widespread appeal at all.

That said, getting turbomurdered live is pretty lul

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i reckon you can solo a single beak thing with micromanagement at any stage of the game. their windup on the head thing is just enormous

that said, now that i've got a gang of hardened DESERT MODS i would not want to start again, jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The wastelands are different to me now that my ragtag team of ninjas can literally karate chop armored people's limbs off, oftentimes sending the limbs dozens of feet into the air like magestic birds.