Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

That's an ungor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

krursk posted:

I appreciate your suggestions and I wish I could hold off but failing to make a game by the monthly deadline or forfeiting is a loss with extra penalties. Vehicle bunkering is a good tactic in general, unfortunately battlewagons are too expensive to be effective(I used them like that in 5th edition when decently pointed). I really don't think a new Ork-Dex will give me more options to deal with the DC bombs unless KFFs are buffed to give a universal invulnerable save (or boys get a boost to melee survivability in general) and/or point reduced boys.

However after some reading I am thinking that a Supa-Scorcha Big-Track with KFF Scorcha BigMek and 5 Scorcha Nobz (surrounded by grot chaff) could be a viable option (or two empty ones maybe?). It's expensive but considering it can make any nearby group of gitz do a synchronised burny dance it should be worth it. The Assault Cannons and missiles will pose a reasonable risk but the 15 wounds coupled with a 5++ it should be able to weather enough fire to immolate DC squads while taking pressure off the boys hiding behind it. This will only work once though (worth it if it ashes some DC gitz) as fielding it will result in more dedicated anti tank options being incorporated in future games. Thoughts?

Play bait and switch, maybe. Run an all vehicle army next game, just load up on everything with wheels and stompy legs. Then in the next game, after they've wasted a ton of points on Melta, Lascannons, and Missile Launchers, revert to your swarm army. Hopefully that'll get you through September and into "Orktober" and see if your Codex changes the equation.

You should also see if you can get them to let you play the previewed Dakka rule early:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Just picked up some more storm bolters for my DW. I went with Shapeways for the first time. The eBay market for storm bolters is a bit out of control, I'm glad I picked up a handful a few months ago for relatively cheap.

Watch the Chapter Approved increase their points cost.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I don't have horns, do you?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Booley posted:

lol u don't have horns. hornless gently caress.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

I'm horned as hell.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Booley posted:

Poor bastard, too dumb to even be ashamed of his no horns.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I want that dog just so I can use it as the relic.

That is a loving great idea. That particular dog is going to be absolute gold dust, but I bet there are other miniature makers doing some sort of dog.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Fistmaster 5000. For when you have to fist so many heretics that even Fulgrim pays attention.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I did a Piranha

For some reason I am having trouble finding enough motivation to finish this army, I just have two suits and 20 infantry and then it is done but I cannot seem to get on it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
that's nice. I like the palette you've chosen.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Anyone willing to critique this list for a 1000pt game in my escalation league?

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [51 PL, 1000pts]

HQ [19 PL, 390pts]

Bjorn the Fell-handed [12 PL, 247pts]
Selections: Heavy flamer [17pts], Twin lascannon [50pts]

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf [7 PL, 143pts]
Selections: Frost axe [10pts], Saga of the Hunter, Storm shield [15pts], Warlord
Black Death
Selections: Relic of The Fang

Troops [15 PL, 271pts]

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 91pts]
Selections: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher [1pts], Bolt rifles, 4x Intercessor [72pts]
Intercessor Pack Leader [18pts]
Selections: Chainsword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]
Selections: Bolt rifles, 4x Intercessor [72pts]

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]
Selections: Bolt rifles, 4x Intercessor [72pts]

Elites [9 PL, 170pts]

Murderfang [9 PL, 170pts]

Fast Attack [3 PL, 55pts]

Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]
Selections: Cyberwolf [1 PL, 15pts]

Fenrisian Wolves [2 PL, 40pts]
Selections: 5x Fenrisian Wolf [40pts]

Dedicated Transport [5 PL, 114pts]

Razorback [5 PL, 114pts]
Selections: Twin assault cannon [44pts]

Created with BattleScribe

General idea is to run the Wolf lord, Murderfang, and razorback straight at the other guy with wolves to soak up a few shots, while Bjorn and the intercessors march up behind/take objectives. It's a beginner league with no Supreme command or superheavy detachments so I won't have to worry about knights or primarchs obliterating me. Not sure if I should stay with Murderfang or maybe replace him with some hellblasters to hang back with Bjorn?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Strap yourselves in for our post-NOVA Badcast! Before you await:
- Romantic Couples Gaming
- Harpooning the Resin Albatross
- $4 draughts of Fat Tire, the only absolute good on this earth
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/09/10/40k-badcast-bonus-episode-novacast-2018/

I've also gone ahead and updated the Patreon with some tier icons:

a whole new tier holy poo poo

For just $6.90 (nice) a month you get access to the same poo poo as the $5 Badcast Badboi tier but you're officially a 40k Fuckboi. Maybe we'll give an exclusive thing down the line. Maybe we won't. gently caress you.

FAST TIMES AT TERRAh HIGH is also now listenable in its entirety if you're a Patreon backer:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/fast-times-at-21327682

Eifert Posting posted:

So I'm at the inlaws over in Korea and they surprised us to a visit to the family tomb.

I was wearing the badcast t-shirt.

So, yeah, today I spent appreciable time doing confucian style bows at a grave in your dumb podcast shirt.

(I swear no one told me that's where we were going)

Days late on this but fuckin :lol: this rules

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

xtothez posted:

The Fistmaster 5000. For when you have to fist so many heretics that even Fulgrim pays attention.

Face isn't also a fist, 8/10

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
After eBay coupons, swaps, and squeezing as much blood as possible from this stone, for $200 my genestealer cult got:

30 neophyte hybrids
20 acolyte hybrids
2 Iconwards
1 Patriarch
1 Sloth-looking Abominant
5 Aberrants
24 genestealers
1 Goliath truck

The question now is do I excitedly put all this stuff together, leave it in a box until the codex comes out and I see what’s not trash, or just assemble and paint some stuff to kill team it up until the codex arrives.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

SRM posted:

Strap yourselves in for our post-NOVA Badcast! Before you await:
- Romantic Couples Gaming
- Harpooning the Resin Albatross
- $4 draughts of Fat Tire, the only absolute good on this earth
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/09/10/40k-badcast-bonus-episode-novacast-2018/

I've also gone ahead and updated the Patreon with some tier icons:

a whole new tier holy poo poo

For just $6.90 (nice) a month you get access to the same poo poo as the $5 Badcast Badboi tier but you're officially a 40k Fuckboi. Maybe we'll give an exclusive thing down the line. Maybe we won't. gently caress you.

FAST TIMES AT TERRAh HIGH is also now listenable in its entirety if you're a Patreon backer:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/fast-times-at-21327682

Days late on this but fuckin :lol: this rules
Joining. Because uh...

I had something for this

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Badablack posted:

After eBay coupons, swaps, and squeezing as much blood as possible from this stone, for $200 my genestealer cult got:

30 neophyte hybrids
20 acolyte hybrids
2 Iconwards
1 Patriarch
1 Sloth-looking Abominant
5 Aberrants
24 genestealers
1 Goliath truck

The question now is do I excitedly put all this stuff together, leave it in a box until the codex comes out and I see what’s not trash, or just assemble and paint some stuff to kill team it up until the codex arrives.

Assemble and paint the characters, Aberrants, and Genestealers as those are guaranteed to be good as-equipped (I’d go with a solid mix of 2 pick/2 hammer/hypermorph w/ improvised). Leave the Acolytes, Neophytes, and truck until you know what’s solid/cool in the new book. 33 models should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

If that's yours, you missed some seam lines.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

Orhlacc?

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

R0ckfish posted:

I did a Piranha

For some reason I am having trouble finding enough motivation to finish this army, I just have two suits and 20 infantry and then it is done but I cannot seem to get on it.

Oh, I was trying to look up your cool gundam army earlier (I really love your basing). You have a great unique color scheme and you're making all the anime robot armor look great. Cool conversion on this Piranha as well.

I'm currently making an effort to finish some Tau (19 days until a game I've signed up for), I'll try and get some decent pictures to share... So you can see how much worse anime robot painting can get :negative:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Cross postin' for all the fuccbois out there...

The Sex Cannon posted:

Raven Guard Primaris Librarian:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

that's nice. I like the palette you've chosen.
Thanks!

BurlapNapkin posted:

Oh, I was trying to look up your cool gundam army earlier (I really love your basing). You have a great unique color scheme and you're making all the anime robot armor look great. Cool conversion on this Piranha as well.

I'm currently making an effort to finish some Tau (19 days until a game I've signed up for), I'll try and get some decent pictures to share... So you can see how much worse anime robot painting can get :negative:
I typically spend inordinate amounts of time on messing around with colour schemes before I start panting an army and it usually works out well. I make no claim of originality on the piranha I saw a picture of the same conversion months ago and ripped them off.

I am sure your robutts are cool, most armies look good when they are out on a board doing stuff rather then trying to take a cell phone pic 5cm away from them.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 11, 2018

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
If you’re actively trying to paint your dudes then you’re already a better painter than half the player base.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

R0ckfish posted:

Thanks!

I typically spend inordinate amounts of time on messing around with colour schemes before I start panting an army and it usually works out well. I make no claim of originality on the piranha I saw a picture of the same conversion months ago and ripped them off.

I am sure your robutts are cool, most armies look good when they are out on a board doing stuff rather then trying to take a cell phone take a pic 5cm away from them.

Original or not that Piranha looks a lot better than the official one and if I ever get one I'm stealing it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Sex Cannon posted:

This is awesome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Gorgeous.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I picked up a first strike box after the bad cast (which is great) said it seemed like a box that wouldn't be long for the world. Anyone have any other sets they'd recommend getting sooner rather than later?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Some belated army August stuff because apparently I'm a retard and forgot I already had these shots and didn't need to dig stuff out of boxes to take pics. I already posted some of the Orks and my Chaos Ork stuff before, so it's the Marines:

Hellbats, I created them right at the end of RT but didn't really settle on proper colours etc. til 3rd ed. I have a few other really shittily & inconsistently painted units and characters but they never got any game time.

Old Timey Salamanders. Largely RT Era stuff with a dash of 2nd ed. A labour of love, I had the idea ages ago but only really got into painting them in the past few years (and started cursing younger me for taking not a lot of care with my old rear end minis!).

Not strictly an Army but I have a handful of RT era Imperial Agents to accompany them, possibly to turn into an actual =I= retinue at some point if I add some more figures to them and the non-index rules ever materialise.

Ditto these Grey Knights. May add a HQ at some point for a Patrol or something.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Some belated army August stuff because apparently I'm a retard and forgot I already had these shots and didn't need to dig stuff out of boxes to take pics. I already posted some of the Orks and my Chaos Ork stuff before, so it's the Marines:

Hellbats, I created them right at the end of RT but didn't really settle on proper colours etc. til 3rd ed. I have a few other really shittily & inconsistently painted units and characters but they never got any game time.

Old Timey Salamanders. Largely RT Era stuff with a dash of 2nd ed. A labour of love, I had the idea ages ago but only really got into painting them in the past few years (and started cursing younger me for taking not a lot of care with my old rear end minis!).

Not strictly an Army but I have a handful of RT era Imperial Agents to accompany them, possibly to turn into an actual =I= retinue at some point if I add some more figures to them and the non-index rules ever materialise.

Ditto these Grey Knights. May add a HQ at some point for a Patrol or something.

It's so weird to see models from that era which are well painted. Awesome, thanks for posting.

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."
I'm currently seeking some help on a list I'm trying to make for a doubles match. I play Ultramarines and I'm playing with a partner that's looking to play either Space Wolves or Dark Angels. Normally making a 1000 point Ultramarine list isn't too difficult for me, but my partner wants me to bring Roboute. Since he would take up most of my points, is it still possible to bring a competitive list at 1000pts with Roboute?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rumor Engine for today.

Some sort of smoke grenade? Some AoS ghost-thingie escaping a talisman?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Technowolf posted:

Rumor Engine for today.

I feel like the answer is in that piece down on the bottom edge of the shot. Looks like a rimmed cartridge though?

And I agree about the old models looking great, I particularly like the white scheme on the assassin.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 11, 2018

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Technowolf posted:

Rumor Engine for today.

It looks like the top of a Space Marine power pack. The smoke is like to be Nurgle pox vapor trailing out; some sort of Gas Man is my bet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Technowolf posted:

Rumor Engine for today.

I'd guess a smoke grenade marker to go with some extra tacticool Space Marine unit.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

NightWonder posted:

I'm currently seeking some help on a list I'm trying to make for a doubles match. I play Ultramarines and I'm playing with a partner that's looking to play either Space Wolves or Dark Angels. Normally making a 1000 point Ultramarine list isn't too difficult for me, but my partner wants me to bring Roboute. Since he would take up most of my points, is it still possible to bring a competitive list at 1000pts with Roboute?

I feel like the problem there is that you're putting 400pts into Guilliman then he's only 'buffing' 600pts. Which is like 3x5 man Hellblasters and an 105pt HQ which gives you garbage for CPs or you could have him run a battalion of Intercessors and then 1 juicy extra thing (Aggressors, Hellblasters or a Predator?). I guess focus on what your friend isn't bringing out of those 2 options, but you'll still probably get your asses kicked by a team bringing double 1000pt Knight armies.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Bringing Guilliman in a 1k list seems rude. You should tell your partner that

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Technowolf posted:

Rumor Engine for today.

Look's like it could be something Skaven too, with the canister being part of some weapon/backpack.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Bringing Guilliman in a 1k list seems rude. You should tell your partner that

I think it's a multi-player game, meaning it's really a 2k point game. It's perfectly fine there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Could be a 40k answer to endless spells? Signal grenade with ither remains-in-play markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Harkano posted:

I feel like the problem there is that you're putting 400pts into Guilliman then he's only 'buffing' 600pts. Which is like 3x5 man Hellblasters and an 105pt HQ which gives you garbage for CPs or you could have him run a battalion of Intercessors and then 1 juicy extra thing (Aggressors, Hellblasters or a Predator?). I guess focus on what your friend isn't bringing out of those 2 options, but you'll still probably get your asses kicked by a team bringing double 1000pt Knight armies.

The other guy is also bringing Imperium, so the other Guilliman buff will affect his stuff too.