Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
mods change my name to "sex doll repairman"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/CrudKing/status...ingawful.com%2F

bit old, but still fits

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's not McMurdo, but it's not the worst thing either :shrug:

I'd like to see the pay for it though

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

on the upside you hopefully don't have a lot of overhead in the south pole, so if you can just leave a lease behind or move out of your parent's basement, go live on rations or whatever at a research station and clock part time work over the course of the summer, you still come home with a decent wad right?

unless they make you pay for food and supplies down there then lmao

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
chicago sending its young men out to become The Things, smdh

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1034940628487090181

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/woke_hoover/status/1038282886586224641

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tfw you realize that Falling Down is aspirational

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FB basically doesn't police or regulate ads at all

it's gotten them in trouble repeatedly for allowing people to target housing ads by race in violation of the Fair Housing Act

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
working as intended

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Its what Musk was talking about during the rogan interview. The AI has developed and gone on its own guessing from the vast majority of anti gay etc content vs pro gay etc content.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

is there a science reason that it’s called the loving “Dark Sector Laboratory”

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

is there a science reason that it’s called the loving “Dark Sector Laboratory”

it's a telescope, and terrestrial telescopes are hindered by things like light. Antarctica is probably as far as you can get from artificial light sources, and due to being at the pole is probably also where they can get the most time in darkness.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The dark sector is one of the many science outposts aka sectors arrayed around the actual main south pole building, and as you said it's the one that handles all the telescopes. Specifically, it is kept dark during winter months (when the scopes are actually doing science).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Its what Musk was talking about during the rogan interview. The AI has developed and gone on its own guessing from the vast majority of anti gay etc content vs pro gay etc content.

this isn't AI

advertisers are specifically targeting those groups

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

For a while i worked for a failing recording studio and the owner had no idea how the internet worked. I came in, was his only employee, and it was a clusterfuck, but i got things manageable for the services he offered, got his permission, and put an ad out. keep in mind i paid a really really small amount, about $30, and back then that was enough to reach most of the surrounding area of 300k people

We got so many hits that by the time he hosed me over and I quit, he was getting so many potential customers he didn't know what to do with himself.

i'm sure ad rates have gone up, but it's seriously amazing how deep and effective the reach is on facebook, and it'll require direct intervention and disallowing certain types of advertiser to prevent things like marketing conversion therapy at LGBT kids or, worse, their parents.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah, no AI involved. facebook allows advertisers to piece together target audiences based on a ton of factors including likes & groups

so instead of "gay teens" its "teens interested in lgbt issues" or whatever

coathat
May 21, 2007

Well that’s just obvious.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh and also facebook has absolutely no vetting/moderation of ad content, they just take the money and push out whatever they're told. if someone complains they might look at it, but they dont give a poo poo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
of course not, they want plausible deniability. they don't care if ad targeting is used for bigoted purposes - in fact, they likely view it as a plus, since few other ad platforms let bigots target their bigoted ads like that, so the bigots are a captive market for FB

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/maykeila_brooke/status/1038247265217929216

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of big tech businesses that would like to maintain that everything is algorithmic and untouched by human hands, because then nobody's responsible for anything. A lot like how nobody's responsible for the actions of corporations.

Just ignore the man behind the curtain programming the algorithm.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

oh and also facebook has absolutely no vetting/moderation of ad content, they just take the money and push out whatever they're told. if someone complains they might look at it, but they dont give a poo poo.

I like the story how boomers didn't get ads for things programming jobs

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/nachdermas/status/1038602399336869893

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Less "sci-fi book" and more "power metal concept album"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MizPiz posted:

Less "sci-fi book" and more "power metal concept album"

those are the same thing???

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

:confused:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

This is the patent drawing Amazon submitted:

I guess it's like one of those crane games except you are trapped inside the cage? I can't tell the difference between jokes and real life anymore :confused:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what in the everloving gently caress is that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

not a cult posted:

disrupting OSHA

normally, humans have to stay away from the robots and machines in an automated facility, and if they need to enter the robots' work area, the machines have to be shut down. that way, you can be sure no one gets gutted by a robot arm. but that requires a lot of empty space for humans to pass through, careful factory design to ensure humans have safe passage everywhere, safety barriers and visual indicators, line shutdowns, and so on. so inefficient and wasteful, it might take bezos slightly longer to become a trillionaire

they decided that instead of keeping humans and machines separate by putting safety zones around the machines, they would encase the humans in portable safety zones: protective cages on wheels that would protect the humans, allowing them to work in close proximity to running machines and active robots without being devoured by the silicon beasts. that way, they wouldn't have to worry about all those tiresome rules and regulations and OSHA inspectors. even if a robot suddenly tried to decapitate a human that was forced to pass dangerously close, their little portable cage would protect them, so Amazon wouldn't need to design safe areas into their automated facilities anymore

the idea was later abandoned in favor of robot-repelling vests, apparently, but the patent is still there as a memento to Amazon leadership's hilariously poor decision-making

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
You could have just said robot repellent vest and that woulda satisfied the thread requirements

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Where are the cup holders for the piss bottles?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

SplitSoul posted:

Where are the cup holders for the piss bottles?

Just pee through the fence :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Loel posted:

Just hold it in. Shift's over in 10 hours

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Ha! I initially thought that was a desk in the cage. I imaged someone sitting in there doing paperwork while the bot zips around a distribution center (because I was thinking of their sorting bots).

Dec 26, 2012

not a cult posted:

i think it's a prototype sonic boss

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

01011001 posted:

i think it's a prototype sonic boss

I think they were more going for a prototype servitor. Also I like the little detail that it doesn't look like there is a way to unlock the cage from the inside.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

the idea was later abandoned in favor of robot-repelling vests

lmao wouldn't the vest be less safe than the cage

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

not a cult posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

not a cult posted:

lmao wouldn't the vest be less safe than the cage

most likely. it's probably cheaper tho

there's very little info about it, other than a tweet from an Amazon PR guy and a single business insider article from a few years back that mentions them trialling something similar

looks like it's just a wearable low-power radio transmitter that broadcasts a weak signal that can only be received from within a few feet. the robots are (theoretically) all equipped with receivers, and if they detect a signal, that means a worker is close by and the machine should be careful

sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. amazon is going to literally murder people because they think it's too inefficient to manually stop the machines every time someone needs to pass through the robots' kill zones