Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Adam Wainwright is starting tonight. Over/Under on 3 innings pitched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If it were Matheny he’d leave him out there stubbornly for 5.2. I think he probably goes 3.1 tonight.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Pirates' offense is going to be very, very weak tonight. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jose Osuna, Jordan Luplow, Kevin Newman, Pablo Reyes, and Jacob Stallings in the starting lineup.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sorry to double post but Rosenthal is reporting that some teams are pissed about the Donaldson trade, but I don't have an Athletic subscription, alas.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This sounds fun https://twitter.com/kyleaglaser/status/1039152454561148929?s=21

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
whit merrifield will win over the nation of japan with his rugged good looks and above average hitting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Acuna gonna crush 2 dingers and dance with mascots

I hope he isn't the one who tragically has some terrible injury during an ultimately meaningless promotional game

edit - oh 7 game series? then 14 dingers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/RealJoshReddick/status/1039013205866110976

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Yadi is a great representative for the game internationally and amps up his celebrations to match the venue. This could be very fun.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Pancakes posted:

Yadi is a great representative for the game internationally and amps up his celebrations to match the venue. This could be very fun.

If it doesn’t immediately turn into the International Bat Flip Exhibition I’m going to be very disappointed

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

As an Astros fan on his 3rd beer when this happened laying down on the couch with the cat on my chest, I can 100% say Altuve was safe

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I hope he isn't the one who tragically has some terrible injury during an ultimately meaningless promotional game
Setting a reminder so I can tell you to go gently caress yourself when it happens

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1039185481114636290

:bisonyes: :yeshaha: :bisonyes: :yeshaha:

Our bullpen owns so much, once we sign Sonny Gray and shore up the infield with a Machado-type shortstop it’s all over for the rest of the Central

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

the popes toes posted:

As an Astros fan on his 3rd beer when this happened laying down on the couch with the cat on my chest, I can 100% say Altuve was safe

Hope the blood loss wasn't too severe.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/1039203127373770754

:eyepop:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

in only 358 at bats, even :getin:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
~it's happening~

https://twitter.com/SchnuckMarkets/status/1039166645145612288

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I love that the guy who got a marketing deal for his salsa isn't any of the many Hispanic players, but arguably the whitest guy on the team.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I love that the guy who got a marketing deal for his salsa isn't any of the many Hispanic players, but arguably the whitest guy on the team.

I imagine it's just this repackaged.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I agree with the thrust but

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

arguably the whitest guy on the team.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants haven't won a game since trading Cutch to the Yankees. They did well to play .500 ball most of the way (while suffering the worst injury luck of any team in 2018), but September isn't gonna be much fun.

On the plus side we got swept by the Rockies and Brewers, so hopefully that fucks over the Dodgers and Cubs a little bit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

This stuff's made in New York City!

GalacticAcid posted:

I like this post mostly because it shows the Cardinals losing to the Astros

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

bewbies posted:

whit merrifield will win over the nation of japan with his rugged good looks and above average hitting

This is a big statement but I do love Whitley, so that's rough!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/joe_block/status/1039224669545611265

:fap: :fap: :fap:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Popete posted:

Lemme fix that for you. Green peppers added for spice

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Beaten to the Bud Norris post, but I do think the story of Adam Wainwright planting a surprise garden in Carp’s backyard and Carp making magical dinger salsa from the results is adorable.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Stealing this from the NBA thread since it's interesting. Home field advantage in the four major American team sports:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Whoa.

Is there an accompanying article with more context?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That is a super interesting graphic, but yeah, I'd love some more context.

I think the first takeaway is that despite baseball not having regulations about park size, every other sport has much wider distribution.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/timbhealey/status/1039228601332363264

V: Someone please talk me out of spending a huge amount of money on a ticket to this game :ohdear:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Nah do it. I would. :thumbsup:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Whoa.

Is there an accompanying article with more context?

https://deadspin.com/which-teams-in-each-sport-have-the-biggest-home-field-a-1828880402

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The Pussy Boss posted:

Stealing this from the NBA thread since it's interesting. Home field advantage in the four major American team sports:

Seeing the Nuggets far and away above the rest is pretty much what I expected. The altitude advantage in basketball is no joke. A few years back they were something absurd like 38-3 at home, 19-22 on the road.

It usually takes a few days to adjust to the altitude, and by that time their opponents are on a bus headed back out of town. Also pretty much nothing the league can do about it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

NiceGuy posted:

Nah do it. I would. :thumbsup:

Alright, I did it. Hopefully I don't get eaten by Red Sox fans while I'm there.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GalacticAcid posted:

I based it mostly on the fact that I know Carpenter and Arrieta are like best buds

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
When Cowher was coach the Steelers went out to Denver a few days before the AFC championship to get ready for the altitude, they practiced on a high school field. They won and went on to win the Super Bowl.

Since then the Steelers have not gone out ahead of time, and have gone 1-4 in playoff games @ Denver lol

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I based it mostly on the fact that I know Carpenter and Arrieta are like best buds

Hahah I didn't know that. Good. I found Carpenter frustratingly likable before learning this.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
drat, Jose Ramirez sucks now and Bookie Metts is going to win MVP.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Seeing the Nuggets far and away above the rest is pretty much what I expected. The altitude advantage in basketball is no joke. A few years back they were something absurd like 38-3 at home, 19-22 on the road.

It usually takes a few days to adjust to the altitude, and by that time their opponents are on a bus headed back out of town. Also pretty much nothing the league can do about it.

Pressurize the arena

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Pressurize the arena

Sounds like a job for Elon Musk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

YeahTubaMike posted:

Alright, I did it. Hopefully I don't get eaten by Red Sox fans while I'm there.

We have fed well on the anguish of yankee fans, you should be alright

• Locked thread