Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I played a handful of games of Welcome To... at Gencon and I really liked it. I think the roundabout thing can only be used on an empty lot, not an existing house. I might be wrong, not sure anyone built one during our games.

But roundabouts are built on the street, not in vacant lots! Plus, all the vacant lots look like houses anyway. If you want to have a game about arranging numbers sequentially then fine, but don't insult me with a bad theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If my girlfriend and I are both brand new to Battlecon, and we are trying Battlecon Online, what would be two good beginner characters who have a fair match up? We don't mind purchasing the characters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Megasabin posted:

If my girlfriend and I are both brand new to Battlecon, and we are trying Battlecon Online, what would be two good beginner characters who have a fair match up? We don't mind purchasing the characters.
I think you would go further just picking up characters that you think look cool but an interesting matchup is Eligor vs Shekhtur. Eligor is all about making reads and punishing your opponent by counteracting their attacks, while Shekhtur is all about going fast and avoid the enemy defences at certain times. Both work well against each other because of their plan and the radically different way they approach the game, and this teaches you both the importance of Stun Guard and Priority.

Other characters that are pretty good for beginners are Hikaru, which is pretty much the base character of the game and Kallistar, that can switch from an offensive powerhouse to a defensive character.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally played two full games of Root, one last night and one just now. Both using the base factions, except the second one used an expansion Vagabond, and both with four players.

First game, I was the WA, and other than the new player as the Marquise everyone had at least some experience and knowledge of the rules. Marquise and Eyrie wound up allying early to try to keep the Vagabond (Tinker) down and stuff, each hitting her once in their first turns they could, but I managed to get some board presence early and got some nice revolts off, including once blowing up huge armies of both the Eyrie and the Marquise because the former messed up and went into Turmoil at the start of his turn, not being able to recruit stuff, instead of at the end due to not being able to build like he expected and thus not removing my sympathy there. Unfortunately I spooked them enough that they decided they needed to keep me down, despite me and the Tinker being neck and neck in the lead, and the Marquise leaving some things undefended led to the Tinker getting several undefended buildings in one turn and scoring a massive amount of points for the win.

Second game, I was the Vagabond this time, playing as the Scoundrel, we had four at least semi-experienced people this time, and we were on the winter map. Eyrie player from last time was the WA this time, and tried to talk the Eyrie and Marquise into again working together to keep me down early, but they didn't go for it so I got to run around grabbing stuff, and luckily managed to find the bag as my third ruins item so I didn't have to junk any of those. Game was pretty even early, though eventually the Eyrie fell behind. Eyrie and Marquise both eventually went hostile towards me due to me having a slight point lead, not fearing my Scorched Earth, and instead of fleeing immediately I crafted myself Brutal Tactics, moved to a cat clearing and killed, everything there in retaliation, getting a lot more points. Got attacked again after that and slipped into the forest to repair all my junk, with myself, the Marquise, and the Alliance all pretty close to victory. WA didn't quite manage to win their turn, and the Marquise didn't either, so I emerged, did a three-point quest and some killing, and then dropped Scorched Earth to blow up both the Eyrie and Marquise armies and buildings there to put me over 30 points and win. (I could have won with another quest or another attack instead, but it seemed criminal to not use my nuke before the game ended.)

Between those two games and the first one with friends I played that didn't finish, the Vagabond and WA seem to do pretty well, with the Vagabond in particular winning the two that completed and being at least in a really good position to win in the incomplete one. I managed to win my game with minimal crafting being done for me, even, handling most of that myself despite not being the Tinker. They seem pretty good, though of course they can be bullied, which is probably necessary to prevent the above scenarios.

I want to see the expansion factions in action now. Also possibly try a 5-6 player game, though that seems like it might get messy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been thinking about the limits of roll and write and how far I can take the system. Been thinking about a war game where you draw on plexiglass with the dice being the timing for receiving supplies but I don't know if this is keeping in spirit of the game.

pospysyl posted:

The SUSD and NPI reviews of Welcome To... make it look so boring! It's hard to believe anyone could prefer it over Ganz Schon Klever. Even if you like theme, GSK's "points" theme seems way more compelling than Welcome To...'s pseudo city building. Why can you turn a house into a roundabout? It doesn't make any sense!

Sideshow Bob made sense of it...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

golden bubble posted:

I'm pretty sure none of the other pandemic games use dice. But this game ignores one of the big causes of the fall of Rome. Every emperor after the crisis of the 3rd century either had to fight at least one pretender or was a pretender who won. It isn't the end of Rome unless the legions are rising up to replace the emperor every few decades.

Play at a con, every 20 minutes (or after a blunder as decided by the crowd) you're replaced by new players who think they can do it better.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Has there been a roll and write using something other than d6 yet? A D&D themed one with the typical polyhedral set seems like an obvious idea.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Has there been a roll and write using something other than d6 yet? A D&D themed one with the typical polyhedral set seems like an obvious idea.

Ironically in D&D the most important thing in character creation is rolling d6s so the game would have to be combat related.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

al-azad posted:

Ironically in D&D the most important thing in character creation is rolling d6s so the game would have to be combat related.

Well it wouldn't have to be combat based bit that's the most obvious parallel. Nothing in D&D has to make sense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a roll and write using a 4e-style power system where you use certain dice combinations to activate at-will/encounter/daily powers would be cool. maybe even as a lighter co-op game

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

food court bailiff posted:

Can you elaborate a little?

Gladly.

Of all the games he's designed, Ashes is the only one that most people would describe as good. And it's basically a simplified Magic the Gathering.

Dead of Winter Flick Em Up gets some praise, but again, it's Flick Em Up with Zombies.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

al-azad posted:

I've been thinking about the limits of roll and write and how far I can take the system. Been thinking about a war game where you draw on plexiglass with the dice being the timing for receiving supplies but I don't know if this is keeping in spirit of the game.

A shared map would be against the spirit of the genre i think. Except if every player also has a personal paper tableau.

Related: Warsch is making Roll and Write Tetris right now.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Insane thought i just had: DnD already is a roll and write game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

discount cathouse posted:

A shared map would be against the spirit of the genre i think. Except if every player also has a personal paper tableau.

So you wouldn't consider Railway Rivals a roll and write?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My favorite roll and writes are 18xx and space empires 4x, except unlike SE4x 18xx doesn’t come with a blank spreadsheet.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I have a perspective on the Roll & Write genre, that at it's core it doesn't require rolling or writing. I think games like Karuba and NMBR 9 both fit the same mold as a Roll & Write without either of the titular features. Essentially they boil down to having a fixed information input (everyone gets the same dice/card/tile/whatever) and then they have a variable information output (everyone chooses uniquely what to do with the provided dice/card/tile/whatever). For me, it's that feature that makes R&W games so appealing; they're a sort of puzzle that you're trying to solve on the fly, better than everyone else. It was mentioned above that 'Welcome To' lacks player interaction, and that GSC attempts to add interaction with how its dice drafting works... I think it's fine that it tries to do that, but I don't see it as an issue for WT or for the genre. I'd love to see more creative ways to implement this "fixed input variable output" model into other games that aren't exclusively R&W.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

That is an interesting definition, but it doesn't describe a single commercial Roll and Write I've played: Yahtzee, qwixx, qwinto, Noch Mal! or GSC. All of these have active player related mechanics.

Qwixx (with it's continued commercial sucess in europe) is the reason that this rennaissance is happening. Qwixx and Yahtzee are the the foundational texts.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 10, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone actually played Glory to Rome? Did we talk about the Ars article this weekend and I missed it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Huxley posted:

Has anyone actually played Glory to Rome? Did we talk about the Ars article this weekend and I missed it?

Glory to Rome? Donkey's years ago. It's a decent tableau builder, but a touch too random for my taste and way too hard to explain to newer players. I actually own it, I picked it up off a mate when he got the kickstarter version.

If I were thinking of playing it, I'd play Eminent Domain or Race/Roll for the Galaxy for the same mechanical concept (multi-phase lead/follow mechanics, and cards with multiple roles per card) done much better.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
I played Glory to Rome for the first time this weekend. Core mechanics and flow were really interesting and fun but was pretty clear the game as a whole wasn't a finished product.

Planning on picking up Mottainai for like $15 since from what I understand its the same game with half the play time and a few coats of polish.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like the idea (explained to me second-hand) that all the card powers are unusual in some way (not just plain Get X for Y, or Discount on Z) and any can potentially lead to a runaway victory.

No idea what it's like in practice but I'd give it a shot just based on that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is the story a buddy sent me this weekend about it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/how-a-ceo-fiddled-while-beloved-board-game-glory-to-rome-crashed-and-burned/

It being mostly Kickstarter drama, but also how the game was so impossible to find one dude completely redesigned it for himself, and the creators don't seem to care and just want the thing (and each other) out of their lives.

I was able to grab both versions of the files off BGG before their owners' dropboxes exploded (and then BGG also exploded). So the price is right, at least.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I found the entire GtR lineage of games boring and uninteresting while managing to be simultaneously fiddly and too complex. Bonus suck points for Uchronia for being simple, and also completely bland.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have Import/Export but the rules are so obtuse to me I haven't gotten it to the table. It's also a Glory to Rome fork.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Huxley posted:

This is the story a buddy sent me this weekend about it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/how-a-ceo-fiddled-while-beloved-board-game-glory-to-rome-crashed-and-burned/

It being mostly Kickstarter drama, but also how the game was so impossible to find one dude completely redesigned it for himself, and the creators don't seem to care and just want the thing (and each other) out of their lives.

I was able to grab both versions of the files off BGG before their owners' dropboxes exploded (and then BGG also exploded). So the price is right, at least.

Huh, thanks for sharing this. I'd always heard there was some story behind the game but never knew any of the details.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got rid of innovation, Mottainai, and GTR after I got I/E. I/E just makes the genre more interesting and auctions own.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I got rid of innovation, Mottainai, and GTR after I got I/E. I/E just makes the genre more interesting and auctions own.

I/E?

EDIT: Import/Export. I just needed to scroll up a bit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Import/Export

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mayveena posted:

I have Import/Export but the rules are so obtuse to me I haven't gotten it to the table. It's also a Glory to Rome fork.

What are you bouncing off of, rules wise? 1) That's one of my current favorites, maybe I could help? 2) the designer, Jordan Draper, is super active on social media and I'm sure he'd answer rules questions on Twitter or whatever

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flow of History negated all that stuff for me.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Glory To Rome sort of happened around me at one of my first visits to the local gaming meetup. I played some cards but didn't really get what was going on. It had a reputation for being "that game that's balanced because every card is broken", so the most interesting part of the Ars article for me was learning that that was intentional.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Still waiting on Food Truck Champion to come in to give the GTR derivatives a try

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shadow225 posted:

Still waiting on Food Truck Champion to come in to give the GTR derivatives a try

I've played FTC a couple of times and it's certainly good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pro-Tip: use Container for the islands, ships, and docks for your I/E game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

al-azad posted:

Flow of History negated all that stuff for me.

The Secret Cabal's video on Flow Of History reminded me of this game, and to me is sounded like non-lovely Innovation. Jaime makes it sound decent but would any goons be willing to elaborate for me?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magnetic North posted:

The Secret Cabal's video on Flow Of History reminded me of this game, and to me is sounded like non-lovely Innovation. Jaime makes it sound decent but would any goons be willing to elaborate for me?

Flow of History is a price setting game like castles MKL. It's a simplified TTA that allows you to interact with opponents' investments so you are usually not assured to get a powerful leader. Has quite a bit of the puerto rico turn order problem for new players due to the way inflation is controlled and how cards are bought but it's a quick game so I think it's less of an issue.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Posted this on Discord earlier:

"Had another game of Root not too long ago. Only three people, myself as the Marquise, Eyrie, and WA. I pulled back and consolidated early and the EA spread sympathy, leaving the Eyrie in a rough position. Made worse by the Eyrie player being not-great, and then the WA revolting under him a couple of times. Without a Vagabond clearing ruins for me I was really constrained on where I could build, and despite the WA wreckign the Eyrie the Eyrie was going all-out on me instead, and the WA started running away with it in points.

Then I managed to drop the Favor of the Mice I'd been holding since the start of the game, clearing one of the WA's forts and a bunch of birds, and the Eyrie player just quit. Between me and the WA player, I managed to barely win a bird dominance victory by shutting down the WA's forts and bogging him down, though some bad rolls (well, good rolls on his part, I was smart enough to not even bother attacking him) meant my first attempt at it failed as he massacred my army and my second only just succeeded because I happened to draw a bird ambush and used it to thwart his attempt to clear one of my corners again, after which he couldn't get out of his other fort, to the other clearing, and wipe it in the actions he had.

I think both of us were pissed at the Eyrie player by the end of that, me because he was determined to gently caress me over despite me not being the person who was close to winning or who had done the most damage to him, while after the Eyrie player quit the WA had to deal with my massive cat armies camping his bases and no one else to distract me."

Lesson learned here, besides who not to play with, is that the cats have so much less building space when the Vagabond isn't in the game, forcing them to aggressively expand a lot earlier. Also I think I like 4P Root better than 3P.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

jivjov posted:

What are you bouncing off of, rules wise? 1) That's one of my current favorites, maybe I could help? 2) the designer, Jordan Draper, is super active on social media and I'm sure he'd answer rules questions on Twitter or whatever

I'll look at it again and let you know. I just remember not being able to figure out how the game actually flowed, something I feel I need to do in order to teach it.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

We all thought Food Truck Champion was fine... and we've never really had a reason to go back to it. There's just not enough going on to hold anyone's interest, and the theme is aggressively bland/irrelevant. At the same time, there's too much rules burden for it to work as a casual game.

Kind of a case study in the perils of making a "stripped down" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I agree that 4p Root is the best but 3 and 5 can be really good with the right mix of factions. With 5 it has to be double Vagabond and with 3 there has to be at least Marquise or Eyrie.