Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
someone is definitely not holding a grudge, and will absolutely, as they claimed, forget about the thing they are mad about promptly instead of getting steadily madder about it for the next several months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

drilldo squirt posted:

be prepared for this post to change.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

someone is definitely not holding a grudge, and will absolutely, as they claimed, forget about the thing they are mad about promptly instead of getting steadily madder about it for the next several months

I'm going to. You're never gonna stop me.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

If you wanna post in byob I'm taking constructive criticism.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Anyone wanna help me understand what's up with this march jerk without being dumb as hell about it?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone wanna help me understand what's up with this march jerk without being dumb as hell about it?

A simple call out and just look at the meltdown I triggered. Not my best work perhaps- but it'll do for a lazy Sunday evening.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Prester Jane posted:

A simple call out and just look at the meltdown I triggered. Not my best work perhaps- but it'll do for a lazy Sunday evening.

You're a broken person so I'm not going to be mean about it but you have no idea what's going on and imagining a lot to fill in the pieces.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

drilldo squirt posted:

You're a broken person so I'm not going to be mean about it but you have no idea what's going on and imagining a lot to fill in the pieces.

Perhaps I was wrong, this may be some of my better work after all. Look at how deeply I've already nested in your psyche.

Let's keep this going- I'm having a gas.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Prester Jane posted:

Perhaps I was wrong, this may be some of my better work after all. Look at how deeply I've already nested in your psyche.

Let's keep this going- I'm having a gas.

I'm happy for you buddy. But most people aren't the hosed up monsters you grew up with, so maybe keep that in mind for the future.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm happy for you buddy. But most people aren't the hosed up monsters you grew up with, so maybe keep that in mind for the future.

Look friend don't take this the wrong way and all- but you ain't got 10% of the chutzpah it takes to be the kind of hosed up monster I was raised around. You're just a garden-variety putz who thinks he's being really clever.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Prester Jane posted:

Look friend don't take this the wrong way and all- but you ain't got 10% of the chutzpah it takes to be the kind of hosed up monster I was raised around. You're just a garden-variety putz who thinks he's being really clever.

I'm actually a garden variety putz in slack jawed awe at stupid internet people.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I completely believe you. Mostly because I imagine that slack-jawed awe is your default state anyways.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Rude.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Stereotype posted:

lol, in a bad way for you

I'm responding to this here to call everyone crazy. Also please tell me what's going on, as all I did was say that I was wrong to make a racist post 4 years ago and I don't make jokes like that anymore, multiple times.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
You're a loving idiot, I'm cool with that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Caros posted:

Because you quadruple posted like a lunatic, mostly.

I'm sorry you don't like my posting style.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Stereotype posted:

good, because looking at your posting history, you posted 35 times, nearly a full page, in the past like 5 hours.

A lot of people got angry, was a lot of work.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Do go on about how I'm the one with the broken brain :allears:

Tell me friend what pisses you off more? The fact that despite my broken brain people will actually listen to what I have to say and agree with me or the fact that despite my broken brain I'm having way more loving fun with my life than you are?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Prester Jane posted:

Do go on about how I'm the one with the broken brain :allears:

Tell me friend what pisses you off more? The fact that despite my broken brain people will actually listen to what I have to say and agree with me or the fact that despite my broken brain I'm having way more loving fun with my life than you are?

You have no idea about my life, and I don't care about your life in the slightest, have the best one you can have dude. The words you posted here in relation to me are the product of a very dumb person with issues though.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

NO NO

look at his posts...

he has the mind of a child

it's not his fault :ohdear:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

You have no idea about my life, and I don't care about your life in the slightest, have the best one you can have dude. The words you posted here in relation to me are the product of a very dumb person with issues though.

You are not winning this exchange.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Majorian posted:

You are not winning this exchange.

He's not trying to "win" he's trying to get us to reply to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well, this got dumb and boring. What else is going on worth bitching about?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

well, most mods would probably probe you for randomly making GBS threads up a thread with a "why is mod X dumb and stupid, don't you all share my hatred of her" derail

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm so confused. What prompted all of this? Something from the Trump thread?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ytlaya posted:

I think the guy Kramer'd into to trump thread, called transgendered people "it" and then proceeded to tell Koalas March about how he wasn't racist or sexist because he doesn't use the n-word anymore. It went downhill from there.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:yikes:

Get your poo poo together DS

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

Yep. And then that person came here to demand that KM own them personally for being a transphobe.

Unrelated but also hilarious: https://twitter.com/ahmadinejad1956/status/1039200623986704386?s=21

The neocons are going to be incredibly mad and owned the longer he’s on twitter being a normal old man.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1039201480597749761

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Falstaff posted:

This was a lot to chew on, thanks for sharing the link.

its really good. i think we all kinda know that race, class and imperialism all have some pretty profound links but its rare to see it articulated so well

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Woah, actual trolling that's not just a dissenting view. Its like watching someone breaking up on facebook and yelling on a public post about being given an STD.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Goddamn they have invented a letter before A, and are bringing that Undisclosed Letter Before A Game, Skip!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

#Resistance hero and lovable candyman George Bush II is campaigning for Republicans showing once again how easy Democrats are to dupe if you act like a regular person for five minutes and are right wing. They need a Reasonable conservative to be real more than a child wants to believe in Santa.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are we no longer using candyman to mean "guy who gives out pills?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno did Bush share?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Prester Jane is right about the groupthink problem in the Trump thread.

The way the rule is enforced, we watch endless repetitions footage of Lucy yanking away the football as Charlie Brown flies through the air yet again. But we are not allowed to be like WISE THE gently caress UP, BROWN. However, KICK, KICK, YOU'RE GONNA DO IT, JUST KICK posts sail through.

Dems are sometimes good, sometimes bad, but the DEMS ARE GOOD/DEMS ARE OUR HOPE/DEMS ARE GONNA DO THIS posts all slide right past that rule because they basically don't upset the feelings of the people who insist on the DEMS ARE BAD rule, which to be fair is the majority of the posters in the thread. It's as simple as that--one side of the debate gets to run wild in there, and even actively bait, as I've seen, the other side with "I bet Greenwald/VitalSigns is going to pop up in a second to tell us..." posts, and the impulse to respond is officially against the rules.

It is probably not the intent of the rule to make this the status quo, but this is the status quo; the intent might not be to protect the feelings of people who are invested in their identities as Democrats, but that's certainly the outcome, and as I've said, it's gamed by folks with those sorts of political alignments within the thread.

I do not know what the solution to this problem is, but the current status quo is a hugbox for people to ignore the fundamental problems that got us Trump. Trump is not a product solely of the Republican party's lurch towards outright fascism in the last 40ish years; he's also the product of a compliant, donor-centric Democratic leadership and party establishment alignment and the long march towards detaching themselves from the labor movement and becoming a managerial class party, but we have no space to truly discuss this because as you can see in this loving ghost town, the cheerleaders rarely if ever show their heads in this thread because they prefer the hugbox.

So the thread just becomes a place to gaze at the horror, but any honest discussion of what got us here, and the problem of how we get out of where we are, does not occur in there because you can only cheer for the opposition, rather than insist the opposition do better. You can only pray for the opposition, not drat them when they endorse or vote to confirm Republicans. The thread is the embodiment of The Better Things Aren't Possible caucus in this way.

Here's an example of how this might (and often does) go: Polling suggests that a majority of the country now favors M4A. There are still, however, Democratic leaders and legislators not on board with that plan. However, politically, it's pretty important to discuss why that is, and how we might win them over as a direct method of unseating Trump by pushing the party in a direction that, as I've said, polling seems to make obvious that they should go. But even trying to have this discussion in the Trump thread as a direct discussion about how to get him out or how he might be attacked during the election, under the current rules, can't happen. What can happen and does is explanations for why Dems and leadership fuckups or compromises are OK, if those things are mentioned or discussed at all.

It's actually the Trump and Sanctioned Opinions About Trump's Enemies thread, which if you want that thread, fine, but don't act like it's not that, and don't pretend that this thread actually serves any purpose other than a dead cul-de-sac for people who don't think the Dem party do enough or the right things.

edit:

EW salivating at the chance and then being the first on the draw to get PJ a 30 is so on the nose it's beyond satire.

selec fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 13, 2018

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Radish posted:

I dunno did Bush share?

Are you a candyman if you don't? Why is Bush candyman?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

selec posted:

Prester Jane is right about the groupthink problem in the Trump thread.

The way the rule is enforced, we watch endless repetitions footage of Lucy yanking away the football as Charlie Brown flies through the air yet again. But we are not allowed to be like WISE THE gently caress UP, BROWN. However, KICK, KICK, YOU'RE GONNA DO IT, JUST KICK posts sail through.

This is the main issue. I think it's dumb but at least 'no Dem talk in Trump thread this is for Trump/Republicans make a Dem/opposition thread for that stuff' is at least a rule that sounds like it was designed to avoid derails. As it is now you're cool to pound off about how Kamala Harris is woke queen smackdown but saying 'actually gently caress her for her AG poo poo' gets half a page of people grabbing their chests shouting "BAD DEM DERAIL" until a mod steps in. It's a really annoying cycle to constantly see people talk about cunning DNC planning to get Trump this time, someone says 'lol they're not gonna do poo poo', and then we have to spend the day whining about derails and anyone who said 'no I think Schumer is actually fine with rolling over for Trump again' is kicked out for a bit. Just make a blanket rule if the sacredness of the Trump thread means that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

selec posted:

It's as simple as that--one side of the debate gets to run wild in there, and even actively bait, as I've seen, the other side with "I bet Greenwald/VitalSigns is going to pop up in a second to tell us..." posts, and the impulse to respond is officially against the rules.

This is the only part that really rubs me the wrong way. I would understand if keeping all debates of that nature out of the thread was enforced, but people frequently make snide little comments aimed at the left without recourse.

Practically speaking I don't think it matters if you allow the sort of discussion you mention in that thread, though. Most, if not all, of the posters you're referring to aren't going to change their minds. These are people who would be Republican in some hypothetical world where the Democratic Party moved significantly to the left and the Republicans became more polite. It is basically the water cooler talk of upper-middle class liberal professionals - for all practical purposes these people are not on the same "team" as us politically.

• Locked thread