Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

If find the weakest part of Paradox games is the wars. I'd be all over a game that's purely about messing with economic systems and optimizing your nation/corporation/whatever.

EvW being made by people who just wanted more detailed armywanking than HoI2 will never stop being a disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

EvW being made by people who just wanted more detailed armywanking than HoI2 will never stop being a disappointment

:same:

I’ve been trying the Cold War mod for hoi4 and all it does is make me want an actual Cold War game. Though I do hope The New Order manages to scratch the itch for me when it’s released never next year.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

really queer Christmas posted:

:same:

I’ve been trying the Cold War mod for hoi4 and all it does is make me want an actual Cold War game. Though I do hope The New Order manages to scratch the itch for me when it’s released never next year.

Try Twilight Struggle.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Morholt posted:

Try Twilight Struggle.

Great with two players, but the AI is awful in the app and desktop versions.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I should ask this here too I suppose:

Koramei posted:

Anyone familiar with GIS software and have the idiot's guide to adding major rivers from a dataset? Or what data set might have that? I'm using QGIS and managed to stumble my way through to getting a high resolution heightmap:

but I think that was mostly luck, because for adding rivers I have no idea what to do. Every tutorial seems to expect me to be familiar with about 30 different specialized cartographical acronyms to the point I usually don't even know if it's actually addressing what I'm trying to look up.

At the end of the day I guess I can just draw the rivers by hand but it'd be nice if they're more accurate since it'll lead to less problems down the line.

ExtraNoise, what'd you end up doing for your America mod? When I was working on the map for my Iron Age mod I literally drew the entire thing by hand (which took well over a hundred hours, so that was pretty dumb. The heightmap I got from this software yesterday ended up more accurate and better and took me all of 5 hours to figure out from start to finish) and I would rather not do that again.

unrelated to that, Johan posted a look at events:

Seems like the standard sorta thing, although I wonder what "more likely to back" actually means, that's uncharacteristically non-transparent.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Koramei posted:

ExtraNoise, what'd you end up doing for your America mod? When I was working on the map for my Iron Age mod I literally drew the entire thing by hand (which took well over a hundred hours, so that was pretty dumb. The heightmap I got from this software yesterday ended up more accurate and better and took me all of 5 hours to figure out from start to finish) and I would rather not do that again.

unrelated to that, Johan posted a look at events:

Seems like the standard sorta thing, although I wonder what "more likely to back" actually means, that's uncharacteristically non-transparent.

Glad to see they went with the good old "fractions of ducats that sometimes get rounded and sometimes not" style.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I sure hope they're not 100% accurate to the Roman naming system. That'd get confusing real fast.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, I sure hope they're not 100% accurate to the Roman naming system. That'd get confusing real fast.

My Consul, I have uncovered a plot where Gaius Julius Caesar is attempting to assassinate Gaius Julius Caesar.

Yours faithfully,
Gaius Julius Caesar

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Has the NDA for the devs expired yet? Cause there was one goon on the dev team who said theyd share stories on what a clusterfuck it was once the nda was gone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why would that get confusing? It's incredibly formulaic and easy to comprehend when you know the formula. Hopefully there's a way where the full name isn't displayed all the time (I think EU: Rome had this), just like in reality with Gaius usually just being shortened to "C." because there weren't really a whole not of those pronomens.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Koramei posted:

The GSHHG has rivers. If you were using GMT I could tell you how to make use of it, but I can't help you with QGIS.

e: What resolution's your height data, btw? I think the highest res dataset I know of covering China is ETOPO1

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 9, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Autonomous Monster posted:

The GSHHG has rivers. If you were using GNT I could tell you how to make use of it, but I can't help you with QGIS.

e: What resolution's your height data, btw? I think the highest res dataset I know of covering China is ETOPO1

Dang that's actually perfect, thanks a ton:

Since the sizes are nicely classified into different colors it should be trivial to convert it into the river map in photoshop too. I can't believe how long I spent on this before, if I'd just taken the time to learn just this little bit of this software it'd have saved me so much effort.

Also I dunno how to check what resolution it is, but I'm using GMTED2010, and it's higher resolution than I'll actually need. Here's Sichuan:

When we were talking about this a couple of months back someone mentioned that going too high resolution is gonna make things look weird in game and I definitely agree with them. I guess I don't know for sure what the Imperator map will be like, but I expect I'll be smoothing this out a bunch (and I'm trying to figure out how to exaggerate the peaks in the GIS software too, if it's possible).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bad enough that the game uses Roman dating systems and doesn't just put everything into BCE/CE.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Imperator Dev Diary on roads, unrest, and civilization levels.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Imperator Dev Diary on roads, unrest, and civilization levels.

Huh, this looks... actually really bad. Like, restricting road-building to certain cultures and a fairly arbitrary civilization mechanic that seems obtuse at best? It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That dev diary seems extremely phoned in. Also lol gently caress you if you play any other nation but Rome I guess, that road mechanic is ridiculous.

Edit: I mean the mechanic is fine, but restricting it to "Latins" is extremely dumb.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I guess Persians and Indians didn't know how to build roads.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
lol loving rome 1 from CA was better than that garbage in that the Romans just did them better

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pakled posted:

I guess Persians and Indians didn't know how to build roads.

oh yeah? How many Persian or Indian roads are still around in Western Europe huh???

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ashoka the Great built paved roads across much of South Asia and mandated rest stops every so many miles.

Of course, there might be equivalent tech for other civs, so its prob a moot point.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

First time playing a Paradox game, how do I find someone valuable to marry? Only courtiers want to marry me but I am a king and I gain no value from them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ulio posted:

First time playing a Paradox game, how do I find someone valuable to marry? Only courtiers want to marry me but I am a king and I gain no value from them.

There should be a ring button on your character sheet, click that and it'll bring up a decently sized list of suggested brides. If you wanna search more exhaustively, use the character finder (the button with two people in the bottom right of your screen) to narrow down the results, search by traits, abilities, etc.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The roads thing seems strange but the different approach to rebellions seems like it could be really good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Possibly other cultural traditions include road building too. Doesn't sound unlikely that there'd be overlap. Paradox has been trying to be better about that sort of thing.

Or maybe not. They did designate half of Europe as "barbarians." Which while accurate to contemporary Greco-Roman beliefs, isn't what they would've called themselves.

Koramei posted:

The roads thing seems strange but the different approach to rebellions seems like it could be really good.

Yeah, that sounds really fun. Also the idea of while some societies can develop from marginal living to big city-builders, but alternatively they can slip out of civilization and just go to barbarism and all that entails sounds real interesting to me.

Can't wait to see the civil wars this'll lead to.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So the rebellion mechanic is very cool and good, can't wait to see where that goes. Nothing but praise on that front. But roads are extremely bad and dumb from what we know. It would be incredibly silly if only the superior Romans/Latin ubermenschen were capable of such advanced concepts as "putting a bunch of flat stones next to each other" when you've got the Achaemenid Royal Roads across Anatolia and the Mauryans in India building comparable roads for centuries before Rome was even a thing. Dev response to questions isn't really helping either, I dunno if Johan's just having a bad day or something but the only real clarification about anything to do with roads has been a passive-aggressive "you know Roman roads didn't need maintenance, right?" (which is objectively false) response to someone just politely asking if roads had an upkeep cost/any other downside to spamming them everywhere.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 10, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm hoping that the Latin-only thing is tied to armies being what makes roads. If other cultures get access to roads (which they obviously should), it could be neat if they use a different mechanic for creating them. Maybe have it be a passive thing that slowly spreads out from your capital, or be faster but tied to a small power expenditure or something.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Colour me unsurprised that the world is going to be divided into glorious beautiful Romans and barbarians that can't build roads.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if parts of the world, such as the former Achaemenid Emprie also have roads. But the thing with armies building military highways was actually a pretty Roman thing, you should remember the Roman roads weren't meant to ease commerce or connect urban centres, they were meant to facilitate the movement of military forces, which is why they often are so drat straight and go point to point rather than trying to connect various cities and trade centers along the way. Though the old Persian roads certainly also were primarily military in nature, along with the relay courier system along them*, no other country in the era built roads quite like the Romans and for the same reasons.

I actually kind of hope that this type of road which primarily seems to exist to make armies move faster, remains a Roman thing, as it will set them apart. Roads for Empires could either be a separate thing created by for an example an expensive decision or alread in place, and hopefully they'll primarily provide boosts to trade income and growth rather than army movement.

*Though I do believe they were primarily for communication rather than army movement, the Persian kings were renonwned for how well informed they were and how quickly they learned of events throughout the existence of the Empire, primarily due to the relay-courier system along the royal roads, whcih meant that any message could be passed from one end of the empire to the other in a matter of days, which was just astounding. That said Persian armies were never known for being fast-moving, in fact they were decidely slow and cumbersome (Alexander's Macedonians I think were capable of moving almost 5-10 times further on a day's march than Darius III's Persian army, to give an example) with a huge baggage train, so the royal roads and the Persian army weren't as connected in terms of strategic movement as was the case with the Roman legions and their military highways.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 10, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The thing that really concerns me about all that's been shown so far though is that pretty much everything shown seems to be an update/reworking of Rome 1's mechanics in some way. But many of those mechanics were.. not good. Some, admittedly were good concepts done poorly that should be reused, but many, like populists and civilization, were just strange, obtuse and not really fitting to what we know about the time period.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NewMars posted:

The thing that really concerns me about all that's been shown so far though is that pretty much everything shown seems to be an update/reworking of Rome 1's mechanics in some way. But many of those mechanics were.. not good. Some, admittedly were good concepts done poorly that should be reused, but many, like populists and civilization, were just strange, obtuse and not really fitting to what we know about the time period.
I'm feeling more like a lot of the stuff (as someone else said) is being phoned in and I dont see much creativity. The Dev Diaries seem like barely any work goes into them compared to HoI4 or Stellaris and they convey the bare minimum of info and are only serving to cause more questions to be asked without really answering any of the many outstanding questions people have already asked.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
If Populism is wrong then I don't want to be right

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Takanago posted:

If Populism is wrong then I don't want to be right

if that's not the populist creed i don't know what is

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know quite enough about roman populism to understand why it's a trap faction.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know quite enough about roman populism to understand why it's a trap faction.

That's the point I was making: there is no reason why it should be. In fact, a lot of effective politicking was done by Populists, whose reforms inevitably lead to them getting stabbed by the conservative-aristocratic wing of roman politics.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there, like, a parallel to be drawn between current political affairs and roman uprisings or internal turmoil? With a focus on the equivalent of kapitalists vs labour/99% vs 1%/ancien regime vs revolutionary france...?

Because I would be so into that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Colour me unsurprised that the world is going to be divided into glorious beautiful Romans and barbarians that can't build roads.

I hope they go all out with the Roman man's burden the way they did with Victoria, really helps you get into the mindset of the era.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

double nine posted:

is there, like, a parallel to be drawn between current political affairs and roman uprisings or internal turmoil? With a focus on the equivalent of kapitalists vs labour/99% vs 1%/ancien regime vs revolutionary france...?

yes, but also no

roman politics was very rich vs poor once the slave economy really got going and native labor was displaced into urban areas, but the parallels don't go much further than that

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

double nine posted:

There was a massive wealth gap, but it didn't really come to the same sort of conflict due to a combination of their welfare system and the rich being expected to pay the poor a bunch of money for voting for them/telling them how awesome they are every day. So generally you didn't tend to have the "We are literally starving, murder the rich pigs!" kinds of conflicts quite so often.

E: v Yeah, I keep forgetting Imperator is ending at the fall of the republic, and for some reason keep thinking it's about the empire.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 10, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AnoHito posted:

There was a massive wealth gap, but it didn't really come to the same sort of conflict due to a combination of their welfare system and the rich being expected to pay the poor a bunch of money for voting for them/telling them how awesome they are every day. So generally you didn't tend to have the "We are literally starving, murder the rich pigs!" kinds of conflicts quite so often.

absolutely they did have those conflicts, quite frequently, though not at the "literally starving" level. caesar's civil war is a manifestation of that dynamic although caesar's actual interest in the poor is debatable

you're thinking of the empire. the republic did not have a robust enough welfare system and tensions boiled over roughly once a generation after plantation slavery became widespread - until caesar and augustus, though, the rich always won even if they had to give a few concessions. augustus consolidated enough power, after most of the super-wealthy were killed on one side or the other of the civil wars that ended the republic, to break this dynamic more or less forever, but it was a constant of republican politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baronjutter posted:

Populism was basically all about internal reform and on,y really became the dominant force in the late Republic.

It being a trap is baffling.