Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost Blue posted:

I hope to god that means Elvis Costello actually uses the name Napoleon Dynamite to check into hotels.

No, but you're not far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TrixRabbi posted:

So, my girlfriend made me watch Bee Movie last night. And her only explanation for why we were watching it was "I had to watch it so so do you." And, what an absolutely nightmarish terrifying movie.

Some facts about Bee Movie:

- Bee Movie was released in 2007.
- Bee Movie is 11 years old.
- George W. Bush was still President when Bee Movie was released.
- Bee Movie was released closer to 9/11 than to the 2016 elections.
- Bee Movie was released closer to the series finale of Seinfeld than to the present day.
- All the bees in Bee Movie are coded as Jewish.
- Chris Rock plays a mosquito trying to get to Alaska so he can get high on moose blood. The mosquitos -- blood sucking parasites -- are all coded as black.
- The first act conflict of Bee Movie is that bee Barry B. Benson (Jerry Seinfeld) is horrified at the prospect of having a single, menial job for the rest of his life.
- The third act conflict of Bee Movie is that Barry has successfully sued the human race for honey theft and bee slavery, winning the bees back all their honey. With a surplus of honey, the bees decide to stop working, which leads to a lack of pollination and the death of all plant life on Earth.
- The moral of Bee Movie is that capitalism is a necessity to keep society thriving, there is happiness in work, and a redistribution of resources will make the workers lazy and cause the global order to collapse.
- Ray Liotta plays himself in Bee Movie ranting about honey.

If you have archives I recommend trying to find the Bee movie thread, it's a hoot and a half.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'd totally use Agador Spartacus. Or Max Power.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's written by a medical doctor, it sucks.

Holy poo poo, uh CHEKHOV?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

Holy poo poo, uh CHEKHOV?

A medical doctor from California.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

I'm not necessarily sure about that. Seinfeld's apartment in the show was relatively huge, and he bought his parents a Cadillac with cash, so he was clearly well-to-do and successful.

He's a massive prick in real life, though. I dealt with a lot of celebrities during my hotel career, and he was by far the most intolerable.

Were there any famous people you remember being particularly nice?

Also was Seinfeld at least a good tipper? because there's a bunch of bits in his Comedians in Cars show that are obviously meant to imply that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

Also was Seinfeld at least a good tipper? because there's a bunch of bits in his Comedians in Cars show that are obviously meant to imply that.

He tipped a buck on a $70 bill, as I recall. Really just a massive prick all around.

Ingrid Michaelson, Colin Mochrie, Yo-Yo Ma and Bob Dylan were all ridiculously kind to everyone.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

did anyone ever watch The Marriage Ref

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Skwirl posted:

CiCGC cracks me up because it's a heavily edited 14 minute show or whatever and it's crystal clear in every episode that Jerry Seinfeld is a gargantuan rear end in a top hat. I sense that perhaps he doesn't care if that's how he come off however.

And I know this isn't a particularly original take but Larry David was responsible for 94% of Seinfeld's quality right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

He tipped a buck on a $70 bill, as I recall. Really just a massive prick all around.

Ingrid Michaelson, Colin Mochrie, Yo-Yo Ma and Bob Dylan were all ridiculously kind to everyone.

drat, there's a bit where he chastises Sarah Jessica Parker for thinking only leaving 10 on a forty dollar check was appropriate.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

porfiria posted:

CiCGC cracks me up because it's a heavily edited 14 minute show or whatever and it's crystal clear in every episode that Jerry Seinfeld is a gargantuan rear end in a top hat. I sense that perhaps he doesn't care if that's how he come off however.

I remember the bit in the episode with Obama where Obama laments the loss of anonymity that comes with fame and no longer being able to enjoy simple pleasures like sitting on a bench in the park, and Seinfeld's response was just "not being famous sucked, why would you want to sit on a park bench?"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

TrixRabbi posted:

I remember the bit in the episode with Obama where Obama laments the loss of anonymity that comes with fame and no longer being able to enjoy simple pleasures like sitting on a bench in the park, and Seinfeld's response was just "not being famous sucked, why would you want to sit on a park bench?"

His relationship with Larry David makes sense in that David directs all neuroticism inward and so produces great comedy, whereas Seinfeld projects his insecurities outward and is therefore a boring prick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

porfiria posted:

His relationship with Larry David makes sense in that David directs all neuroticism inward and so produces great comedy, whereas Seinfeld projects his insecurities outward and is therefore a boring prick.

That's why you can very visibly see the tonal change in Seinfeld (the show) when David left and Seinfeld essentially assumed control.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Timby posted:

No, but you're not far off.

Norman Bates
Kevin McCallister
Phil Connors
Dunston Cheqin

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

y’all are forgetting dating a high schooler and his sitcom ushering in a new wave of white nationalism and the Trump presidency via Steve Bannon.

Uhhhh, what?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Bannon making his money from Seinfeld syndication is one of the underrated funny things about the Trump WH.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

Bannon making his money from Seinfeld syndication is one of the underrated funny things about the Trump WH.

I can't even wrap my mind around this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So I compartmentalized this for a bit, but I was literally four blocks away from my old house last night (buses get weird on Sundays and even weirder when it's the day of Ironman Wisconsin, so I had to go that far to get to a grocery store). It took every fiber of my mind, body and soul not to go ring the doorbell and hug my dog.

I knew better, because I knew a fight with my ex would just lead to another mental health crisis, so I didn't. But, God drat, I wanted to just hug my Iris.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Timby posted:

So I compartmentalized this for a bit, but I was literally four blocks away from my old house last night (buses get weird on Sundays and even weirder when it's the day of Ironman Wisconsin, so I had to go that far to get to a grocery store). It took every fiber of my mind, body and soul not to go ring the doorbell and hug my dog.

I knew better, because I knew a fight with my ex would just lead to another mental health crisis, so I didn't. But, God drat, I wanted to just hug my Iris.

Is she still making you pay her that money back? I know things have sucked hard but as far as I'm concerned if she's taking that dog from you for good then you don't owe her a penny back.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I can't even wrap my mind around this.

His investement bank helped CNN acquire Castle Rock Entertainment, and instead of a fee he took financial stakes in several TV shows, including Seinfeld, which he’s still profiting from to this day.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 10, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mitt Romney's firm destroyed both K*B Toys and Toys R' Us.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mitt Romney can go to hell!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Bain Capital 2-3: Go To Hell Bastards!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

C-Euro posted:

Actually there as many shots where I look at them and say "I know what this looks like in 2018 even if it doesn't look like it now" as "this structure is probably here today". Mostly I just can't figure out if Rocky lives in North or South Philly :sweatdrop: I think it's North.

Rocky is so incredibly south Philly, how can you not know this if you lived here.

I mean for chrissakes he's Italian.

edit a lot of it was shot around northish Philly, Frankford ave etc

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 10, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Bain Capital 2-3: Go To Hell Bastards!

Did anybody ever make a Dark Knight Rises parody with Bane Capital

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh you bet your rear end they did, some hacky political cartoonist did this back in 2012.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Has anyone done Mcbain capital

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Peccadillo posted:

Stuyvesant was a Dutch lunatic, right? Sold his land to the man in a syphilitic spasm?

The Dutch got beat up real bad at sea by the British, so they named the colony after their naval hero James, duke of York.

Who also had syphilis.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember Rush Limbaugh or somebody like that claiming Dark Knight Rises was "obviously" about Romney because the villain was named Bane.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Almost Blue posted:

I remember Rush Limbaugh or somebody like that claiming Dark Knight Rises was "obviously" about Romney because the villain was named Bane.

Chuck Dixon, who created Bane and has subsequently spent the past five years griping about how he can't get work in comics because of his conservative beliefs (despite having had consistent high-profile work in comics for about 20 years before that), later claimed that Bane was based on Occupy, despite having created him in 1991 or so.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kamau Bell came to my theater with his wife and was super chill. I causally mentioned I was fan as he bought tickets and left it at that and while his wife bought popcorn he came over and asked me about my day and life.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

bushisms.txt posted:

Kamau Bell came to my theater with his wife and was super chill. I causally mentioned I was fan as he bought tickets and left it at that and while his wife bought popcorn he came over and asked me about my day and life.

Kamau seems like he would be a great person to have a conversation with.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

One time when I was working at a theater in 2012 a guy came to the box office window in the middle of the day and asked to speak to the program manager. My coworker called up and they were in a meeting and they asked for the guy's name, he said Paul Anderson. They told him to call ahead and make an appointment cause they were busy so the guy so okay and walked away.

Took a few minutes for anyone to realize it was Paul Thomas Anderson and our program manager came barrelling down the stairs but he was already gone. Turns out he went to the comic book shop. He had wanted to talk about showing The Master in 70mm (which did end up happening and we were the only theater in Boston to have it).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TrixRabbi posted:

Took a few minutes for anyone to realize it was Paul Thomas Anderson and our program manager came barrelling down the stairs but he was already gone. Turns out he went to the comic book shop. He had wanted to talk about showing The Master in 70mm (which did end up happening and we were the only theater in Boston to have it).

In fairness, it might have been Paul W.S. :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

His investement bank helped CNN acquire Castle Rock Entertainment, and instead of a fee he took financial stakes in several TV shows, including Seinfeld, which he’s still profiting from to this day.

I figured it was something like this, but you know it's a Nazi making money off of Jewish comedy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mitt Romney's firm destroyed both K*B Toys and Toys R' Us.

The storefront that was the KB Toys I went to as a kid eventually became a liquor store. Someone smarter than me can find some really great commentary about where the world is going in that.

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fairness, it might have been Paul W.S. :v:

It might have been worth a light jog so you could ask him about the possibility of the Event Horizon director's cut ever seeing the light of day.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I would tell him I thought Pompeii was better than Titanic just to see what his reaction would be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I'd unironically want to meet Paul WS. He's not someone I'd put in the GOAT list, but he consistently makes really entertaining schlock, and every peek I've gotten into the dude's brain makes him seem like he'd be fun as hell to hang out with.

e: poo poo, I'd owe him a hug just for making Mortal Kombat, that movie is a bizarrely big chunk of my childhood.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think him, Paul Thomas Anderson and Wes Anderson should have a cage match to the death.

Either that or do an anthology film where they all do their interpretation on the same story or concept.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Perfect Blue still has some of the best editing I’ve ever seen. Satoshi Kon was taken from us way too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
His films at least look decent for the most part. I remember watching the first two Resident Evil movies and it was like going from a slick, albeit still on the lower end production to what looked like a drat Syfi original.

• Locked thread