Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Heinlein is a terrible writer

He's certainly a terrible character writer, but he has some weird, interesting ideas.

Though, I'm not much of a libertarian, so of the names I listed there he would probably be my least essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Moon is a Harsh Mistress was a cool premise if you ignore most retarded libertarian screeds. Idk if most decent sci-fi can be adapted into a videogame though as most videogames are garbage Skinner boxes where you just grind forgettable enemies.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Colonel Cancer posted:

Moon is a Harsh Mistress was a cool premise if you ignore most retarded libertarian screeds. Idk if most decent sci-fi can be adapted into a videogame though as most videogames are garbage Skinner boxes where you just grind forgettable enemies.

Imagine being as ignorant of both sci-fi and video games, and yet thinking other people ought to care what your opinions about either of them are.

As for Heinlein, one glaring issue with him is his obsession with incest, which grew greater as he got older.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Videogames are for children and manchildren.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As for Heinlein, one glaring issue with him is his obsession with incest, which grew greater as he got older.

Are you talking about Time Enough For Love? Because that book loving owns.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Are you talking about Time Enough For Love? Because that book loving owns.

Way too many books of his have either pedophilia or incest, justified in one way or another.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The first fantasy and sci-fi novels I ever read were by Piers Anthony and I don't think I've really fully recovered yet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vakal posted:

The first fantasy and sci-fi novels I ever read were by Piers Anthony and I don't think I've really fully recovered yet.

I'm so sorry.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

So many sentences dedicated to panties.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Nintendo 64 controller is much better than the Gamecube controller.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They are both terrible controllers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jack Trades posted:

This isn't an unpopular opinion and also no one cares

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Nintendo 64 controller is much better than the Gamecube controller.

How do people not understand that you don't need to use all three prongs at once. I figured this out as a literal child.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every Nintendo controller was crap after SNES until they gave up and just ripped off everyone else's controllers and even those are kind of spotty. Unpopular game opinion: Nintendo "Pro" controllers feel like some Chinese crap you'd get at dollar tree and are sad cheap garbage compared to Sony and MS's controllers.

I do weirdly love the joycons mounted in the little controller grip though. I feel like it makes me play games super relaxed and chill.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Nearly everyone I know is an obsessive participant in the lamest loving videogame imaginable: facebook

Infantilization of daily life is a foremost feature of commodity culture and a symptom of the routines of domestication proscribed by a surveilling authority of civilized state power, formal or informal.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nearly everyone I know is an obsessive participant in the lamest loving videogame imaginable: facebook

Infantilization of daily life is a foremost feature of commodity culture and a symptom of the routines of domestication proscribed by a surveilling authority of civilized state power, formal or informal.

+1

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like this post

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Every Nintendo controller was crap after SNES until they gave up and just ripped off everyone else's controllers and even those are kind of spotty. Unpopular game opinion: Nintendo "Pro" controllers feel like some Chinese crap you'd get at dollar tree and are sad cheap garbage compared to Sony and MS's controllers.

I do weirdly love the joycons mounted in the little controller grip though. I feel like it makes me play games super relaxed and chill.

The original wireless Genesis 6-button controller is the best controller design of all time, relative to its period.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

veni veni veni posted:

Every Nintendo controller was crap after SNES until they gave up and just ripped off everyone else's controllers and even those are kind of spotty.

lol what? Nintendo pretty much invented the modern controller. Analog stick, trigger button, rumble vibration from the n64, and the gamecube controller had analog buttons and wireless (sold separately but still)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Games are way less infantile than normie social media yeah. At least with a game I know what I'm doing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Gamecube controller is pretty great for games designed around it, and pretty miserable for games that aren't. It just feels so good in your hands. (though I like the modern revisions with the C-stick having a proper grip)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

This is weird because when I was scouting controllers to buy for PC use, most of the cross-platform reviews settled on the Nintendo Pro controller as the best one. I haven’t tested it myself but it gets really good reviews.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vegetable posted:

This is weird because when I was scouting controllers to buy for PC use, most of the cross-platform reviews settled on the Nintendo Pro controller as the best one. I haven’t tested it myself but it gets really good reviews.

This is because it's a nintendo thing and will get 10/10 reviews no matter how bad it is

see: Zelda games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SNES controller was also bad. There, I said it. It sucks, the button layout is dumb, the shape is awful, it's ugly, too small, need I say more?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SNES controller was also bad.

Oh my god man no it's not

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Having jump under your lower thumb (B) and shoot under your upper thumb (Y) and being able to do quick side presses to A and X was great, plus the shoulder buttons and the great D-pad and dogbone shape, everything about the SNES controller rules.

Unless you were one of the madmen who would use A and B for jump and shoot

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Having jump under your lower thumb (B) and shoot under your upper thumb (Y) and being able to do quick side presses to A and X was great, plus the shoulder buttons and the great D-pad and dogbone shape, everything about the SNES controller rules.

Unless you were one of the madmen who would use A and B for jump and shoot

Sega does what Nintendon't

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

SNES controller was also bad. There, I said it. It sucks, the button layout is dumb, the shape is awful, it's ugly, too small, need I say more?

american snes controller is ugly and stupid, pal snes controller is nice looking

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

american snes controller is ugly and stupid, pal snes controller is nice looking

This one's correct.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

https://youtu.be/Q3j3py05aoE

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Away all Goats posted:

lol what? Nintendo pretty much invented the modern controller. Analog stick, trigger button, rumble vibration from the n64, and the gamecube controller had analog buttons and wireless (sold separately but still)

I had wireless controllers for my NES-knockoff "Megason" in the '90s. :shrug:

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

If we’re still on controller chat, dualshocks are easily the worst of all time but everything before the first Xbox 360 controller except the GameCube controller are terrible.

Keyboard and mouse are an extremely unfun way to play games unless you’re playing competitive multiplayer fpses which are also poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

IDONTPOST posted:

If we’re still on controller chat, dualshocks are easily the worst of all time but everything before the first Xbox 360 controller except the GameCube controller are terrible.

Keyboard and mouse are an extremely unfun way to play games unless you’re playing competitive multiplayer fpses which are also poo poo

The worst is when you get controllers with handles but the handles are too short

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dualshocks are great for fighters. The only D-pad I've liked more since the inception of the ps1 pad is the ps4 pad.

Can't stand traditional cross d-pads.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All the playstation controllers just confuse me with those tiny buttons and shapes instead of letters, which you only remember if you owned a PS as a kid.

I hate the 360 controller but i care about D-pads a lot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

All the playstation controllers just confuse me with those tiny buttons and shapes instead of letters, which you only remember if you owned a PS as a kid.

I hate the 360 controller but i care about D-pads a lot.

The shapes actually have a logic to them, not that it matters a ton, but circle is 1, cross is 2, triangle is 3, and square is 4, going by the number of lines it takes to make the shape. That order is the same as Nintendo's. Unfortunately just about every company that uses them for QTEs is dumb as gently caress about it just showing the button itself. The only company I know of that has done it intelligently is Platinum. When they show a button for a QTE they show you the position of the face button in the prompt itself.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Dark Souls isn't a hard game for HARDCORE GAMERS. It can be a lot of fun and certainly beatable even for people that have never touched a controller before.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sikreci posted:

Dark Souls isn't a hard game for HARDCORE GAMERS. It can be a lot of fun and certainly beatable even for people that have never touched a controller before.

An old friend of mine finished Dark Souls, and her only previous experience with action games (not RPGs or turn based games, basically) was attempting to play Halo and being so befuddled by having to use two sticks at once that it almost seemed to cause motion sickness.

Checks out I guess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

signalnoise posted:

The shapes actually have a logic to them, not that it matters a ton, but circle is 1, cross is 2, triangle is 3, and square is 4, going by the number of lines it takes to make the shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

signalnoise posted:

The shapes actually have a logic to them, not that it matters a ton, but circle is 1, cross is 2, triangle is 3, and square is 4, going by the number of lines it takes to make the shape. That order is the same as Nintendo's. Unfortunately just about every company that uses them for QTEs is dumb as gently caress about it just showing the button itself. The only company I know of that has done it intelligently is Platinum. When they show a button for a QTE they show you the position of the face button in the prompt itself.

not only that but the shapes were intended to be associated with their default uses, too - circle for select, x for cancel, square for a menu, and the triangle at the top was supposed to represent head/camera movement