Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

site posted:

Man if you can get from hell for 5 bucks thats a fuckin steal

£7.75 was the base price, less £5 from the Amazon credits I saved up. Thank you for your suggestions folks. In the end, I decided to go with From Hell as it completes my Alan Moore trinity. And although I didn't go for the superhero stuff I've added them to my wishlist for the next time I run up a decent amount of credits as I really like it when superhero stories delve into politics and questions of humanity :)

EDIT - I remember something else but not the name. It's a story of a superhero that goes insane and he can hear peoples thoughts and he talks to them through their TV's in a panel I saw. Anyone know what I'm talking about from that vague description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Exioce posted:

£7.75 was the base price, less £5 from the Amazon credits I saved up. Thank you for your suggestions folks. In the end, I decided to go with From Hell as it completes my Alan Moore trinity. And although I didn't go for the superhero stuff I've added them to my wishlist for the next time I run up a decent amount of credits as I really like it when superhero stories delve into politics and questions of humanity :)

EDIT - I remember something else but not the name. It's a story of a superhero that goes insane and he can hear peoples thoughts and he talks to them through their TV's in a panel I saw. Anyone know what I'm talking about from that vague description?

Does the digital version of From Hell have the annotations? If not you should see if you can find them somewhere online.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
Can any y'all reccoment non dc and marvel comics with a female main character? and well written on top of that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

How well written these are, hmm, ymmv, but here are some female-led comics I've enjoyed:

Be Prepared
Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale
The Prince & The Dressmaker
Satania
Lighter Than My Shadow
Monstress
My Favorite Thing Is Monsters
Clean Room (okay, it's a Vertigo title, but still)
The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage
Complex Age
Harrow County
Velvet
Bandette
Shoplifter (rec'd mainly on strength of its visuals)
The Property
Delilah Dirk (series)
The Adventures of Superhero Girl

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What kind of comics?

Bandette
Bitch Planet
Dicebox (webcomic primarily)
Empowered
Giant Days
Glory
Grrl Scouts
Gunnerkrigg Court (webcomic primarily)
I Kill Giants
Kabuki
Lazarus
Love and Rockets
Lumberjanes
Motor Crush
Octopus Pie (originally a webcomic, reprinted by Image)
ODY-C
Paper Girls
Pretty Deadly
Queen & Country
Sex Criminals (male/female co-leads)
Snotgirl
Stumptown
Saga (diverse ensemble cast, not specifically female led)

Anything out of Iron Circus Comics (warning, mostly smut)

This is a... varied list genre-wise.

Edit: added. Glory

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 7, 2018

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't think anyone has mentioned Lady Killer yet. I enjoy it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The first 2 volumes of Rat Queens

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fruity20 posted:

Can any y'all reccoment non dc and marvel comics with a female main character? and well written on top of that.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina if you like that twisted Archie/horror vibe

Robot Wendigo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 9, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Robot Wendigo posted:

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina if you like that twisted Archie/horror vibe
It's good, but they don't seem to actually intend to release anymore so the story just kind of stops, so not a very good recommendation imo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They'll probably start a new run when the show's on.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Should I read Batman by Snyder first or Tomasi and Gleason first?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They ran at the same time. Swap each storyline so that they meet at Death In The Family and when Robin dies (which actually happens in the second series of Batman Incorporated, also running at the same time.)
After that Robin is basically not a part of Snyder's Batman, so you don't have to keep them in sync.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I want to check out the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comicbook series, but what should I read or watch before, during or after it? There's also the whole Shattered Grid movie tie-in on top of everything else to complicate things.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

They ran at the same time. Swap each storyline so that they meet at Death In The Family and when Robin dies (which actually happens in the second series of Batman Incorporated, also running at the same time.)
After that Robin is basically not a part of Snyder's Batman, so you don't have to keep them in sync.

Do not read the Gordon issues to save time. It is not good.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm a few issues into Death of the Family for both the Snyder and Tomasi run and I'm really liking this rendition of the Joker. So far, Alfred is captured, Jim is in the hospital, Joker has just finished talking to Penguin and Robin finds out the killer Batman is some dude that ran a dojo

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Do not read the Gordon issues to save time. It is not good.

You mean Tomasi's run on Detective? Agreed.
If you mean Snyder's Superheavy, nah. It's a change-up in a long run at least. It's for sure not worse than the Joker storylines.
Plus a new reader's not having to wait close to a year for it to wrap up.

e:
\/
I'm replying to the person saying you should skip the bits with the new mech suit Batman. Tomasi moved to Detective Comics during the time, and it wasn't great.
Meanwhile Gleason did a Robin solo series that I enjoyed a lot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 10, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

You mean Tomasi's run on Detective? Agreed.
If you mean Snyder's Superheavy, nah. It's a neat change-up in a long run at least. It's not sure worse than the Joker storyline.
Plus a new reader's not having to wait close to a year for it to wrap up.

I'm not too sure, I usually only read things in an omnibus format. So I'm reading Tomasi in the Batman and Robin omnibus along with the the TPs of Snyder's run (since there isn't an omnibus out).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

The first 2 volumes of Rat Queens

Let's not recommend a book by a wife-beater.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Vincent posted:

Let's not recommend a book by a wife-beater.

whaaat i like Rat Queens am I not allowed to any more?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was the original artist, who left at #8 of the original series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sanford posted:

whaaat i like Rat Queens am I not allowed to any more?

I’m not sure who is telling you what to like.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Besides Grayson, what are good series starring Nightwing? New 52? Rebirth? Chuck Dixon's run?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

radlum posted:

Besides Grayson, what are good series starring Nightwing? New 52? Rebirth? Chuck Dixon's run?

Dixon for sure. Rebirth is solid. There's been some poor fill ins after Seely left. Then Percy was taking it in an interesting direction but it 's about to go to hell now because he's getting kicked in favor of Scott Lodbell.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm making a list of titles/runs to introduce MCU fans to the comics. My goal is just to get fans of the movies to read good stories and not be too scared or daunted by the sheer amount of content. My criteria are:

1. Not (too) continuity-heavy
2. Starring mostly MCU characters (no heavy focus on X-Men, Fantastic Four)
3. Familiar storylines
4. Establishes a good feel for the character(s) that are more or less similar to their MCU versions

With that criteria, here's what I came up with:

1. Captain America by Ed Brubaker (specifically, the Winter Soldier arc) - do I really need to explain this?
2. Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis - was the basis for IM3 and reinvigorated the character (citation needed?)
3. Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron - incredibly good and metal
4. Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis - teenage Spidey goodness without the continuity baggage of 616
5. Avengers and New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman - inspired some parts of Avengers: Infinity War, long but epic storytelling
6. Doctor Strange: The Oath by Brian K. Vaughn - Strange is a dick who tries his best to be good
7. Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction - while not *that* good, it was quite interesting in a way that they steered the direction of Iron Man's character towards RDJ's version, and it ran alongside the Iron Man movies
8. Black Widow by Nathan Edmonson & Phil Noto (who was 80% instrumental in making the book shine) - RED IN MY LEDGER done well

Other honorable mentions are Robbie Thompson's Spidey, which would be a lot shorter than USM, Waid & Samnee's Black Widow for a more adventurous, high-octane take on the character, Thor the Mighty Avenger for a self-contained, short, yet endearing run, Walt Simonson's Thor inspired Thor: Ragnarok, and is just super-good (despite being very old by MCU fan standards), Bendis's New Avengers which did breathe new life to the Avengers after dissassembling them... I'm missing Hulk, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy (DnA's run is too mired in continuity, while Bendis's blows) in the mix, because I'm not too well-read on them. Planet Hulk seems to require some backstory, and I'm not sure about Priest's BP run.

Any thoughts?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm a huge Hickman fan, but found his Avengers stuff too long and too repetitive and too "meh" and would probably revolt if given as a new fan.

Maybe Infinity Gauntlet? Kind of obvious? I don't know if it'd be too campy for a new reader, and the Avengers play a much smaller role. I dunno.

The Ultimates is an obvious pick as they inspired a lot of the tone of the movies, but they don't have a good reputation around here.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 19, 2018

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Some of the better Abbey/Lanning cosmic stuff would be good.

Also agree on Hickman’s Avengers. I found it really tough to get into and bounced off it a few times. As a lifelong Marvel reader. I really do love it and will read it again but it takes a lot to get into compared to the film universe.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Planet Hulk seems to require some backstory

Any thoughts?

I think Planet Hulk actually works better without a lot of backstory. The first issue explains how he was sent away for being too dangerous. Really the only other things you need to know are that he's big, green and the madder he gets, the stronger he gets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hickman's whole thing from FF4 through Secret Wars is one of the great successes of comics storytelling but it is not for beginners. There were tons of characters in there I'd never heard of, much less someone who only knows people from the movies.

I don't think Planet Hulk is that inaccessible, you just have to know that The Powers that Be viewed Hulk as such a threat that they shot him into space. Everything else is new to 616 (afaik)

I never read the Bendis guardians stuff but my understanding is that they basically rewrote the Guardians to be 100% like the movies. I know people have problems with that run but you have to remember that people brand new to comics aren't gonna have the same problems with story/character stuff that long time readers do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers were confusing as gently caress and I'm sort of used to comics.

There's also a criminal lack of Fraction's Hawkeye there.

Coates' Black Panther is not as punchymans as other comics but it brings light to some things people brought up when watching the movie.

The Immortal Iron Fist so they can see what he is really like.

I don't think DnA's GOTG is too confusing, you just have to preface it with Annihilation and Annihilation² which are essentially small reboots of the cosmic universe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I had just came back from not reading comics for like 20 years but had seen all the mcu movies up until that point and got into Hickman's avengers/na just fine. The cast it focuses on have all been in movies now, with the exception of namor, and the rest of the various people who show up are more or less introduced if you're not up to speed. Tbh though i dont know if getting someone into comics for the first time with a 90 issue epic (not counting ff) is the way to go though, thats a big ask

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any suggestions for urban fantasy? I loved Agent of Asgard and wouldn't mind more like that or stuff like the Dresden Files. Especially with like, gods, dickhead fae, and creatures of folklore.

I read the first bit of Sandman but don't recall if I didn't get into it or got distracted by life etc

And unrelated but I loved that Vision series in suburbia if anything else might tickle the same parts of my brain

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any suggestions for urban fantasy? I loved Agent of Asgard and wouldn't mind more like that or stuff like the Dresden Files. Especially with like, gods, dickhead fae, and creatures of folklore.

I read the first bit of Sandman but don't recall if I didn't get into it or got distracted by life etc

And unrelated but I loved that Vision series in suburbia if anything else might tickle the same parts of my brain

Hellblazer for urban fantasy. John's even appeared in comics with Morpheus. Also, if it turns out you do like Sandman, you'll in all likelihood love Lucifer by Mike Carey. It's a spinoff and it's a really drat good one, probably in the top 3 of Vertigo books ever published.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Planet Hulk is perfectly readable if you've never read another book with the Hulk in it in your life.

For Avengers I might go with Busiek's Avengers right after Heroes Reborn or Bendis' original New Avengers, they probably know who Wolverine is and aside from Spider-Woman I think everyone on the team is in movies or TV shows.

Ultimate Spider-Man is good, but I'd also maybe recommend Spider-Man: Blue, it's a good "Best of" compilation of his early stories and one of the very few superhero comics that makes me realize how dusty the room is.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I suggest Spider-Man Blue and Daredevil Yellow. Both of these were very good. I didn’t read Hulk Grey or Captain America White.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I request exceptional Wolverine stories!

So I've read the following

Weapon X (remember liking it, haven't read it in forever, a case of my Dad going above and beyond when I was sick once)
Old Man Logan (Not great but not awful , either, and it helped lead to to the movie, which whips the llama's rear end)
Jason Aaron's Wolverine run (I have the collection TPB's, very good, maybe the best regular Wolverine run ever)
Frank Miller/Chris Claremont's run that got collected in the Omnibus where he goes to Japan and such
I've read the first volume of All New Wolverine. Laura and Gabby are great.
Read entirety of both X-Force books where Logan is the leader.
Read a bit of Charles Soule's run. Good stuff.
I have a B&W Essential of his time in Madripoor.
Wolverine and Spider-Man is great.

Haven't read Enemy of the State because virtually everyone I know thinks it's crap and I'm not the biggest Millar fan. While I didn't hate OML I also thought it could have been considerably better. Haven't read most of Origin, or Way's Origins series, I think Daniel Way should have to stay 150 feet from any Weapon Plus alumni.

Am I missing anything else?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 23, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked Get Mystique

The original Brood War saga in Uncanny is about the whole team, but he's the POV character for a good chunk of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man vs Wolverine is essentially a Wolverine story guest-starring Spider-man, and it's pretty good. It's got as lot of that gritty fatalism that characterized the Miller stories.

Wolverine v2 issues 41 and 50 are really good standalone stories. Be sure to not read the rest of that series, as it's full of Guggenheim and Loeb.

I'm going to assume that if you read Aaron's Wolverine, that includes Wolverine and the X-men, which was a great little comic.

Wolverine: The Best There Is is a gross little Charlie Huston mini-series that really wants to be MAX, but isn't. Apparently it was reviewed extremely poorly, but I really enjoyed it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Samuringa posted:

Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers were confusing as gently caress and I'm sort of used to comics.

There's also a criminal lack of Fraction's Hawkeye there.

Coates' Black Panther is not as punchymans as other comics but it brings light to some things people brought up when watching the movie.

The Immortal Iron Fist so they can see what he is really like.

I don't think DnA's GOTG is too confusing, you just have to preface it with Annihilation and Annihilation² which are essentially small reboots of the cosmic universe.

I didn't include Hawkeye because while excellent, it does not reflect MCU Clint very much, but I can put it there with the caveat that 616 Clint will be quite different.

I read Annihilation and it was quite confusing, plus Richard Rider is the main character and he doesn't have an MCU equivalent yet, so I'm hesitant to recommend it.

I have not read Coates' BP, is it any good? It was polarizing last time I checked.

Uthor posted:

I'm a huge Hickman fan, but found his Avengers stuff too long and too repetitive and too "meh" and would probably revolt if given as a new fan.

Maybe Infinity Gauntlet? Kind of obvious? I don't know if it'd be too campy for a new reader, and the Avengers play a much smaller role. I dunno.

The Ultimates is an obvious pick as they inspired a lot of the tone of the movies, but they don't have a good reputation around here.

Yeah I missed Ultimates, but I don't think it's a good read considering how fairly mean-spirited everyone is (2 is very cringeworthy with the whole Ultimate Hawkeye thing, but 1 is also quite dire with the Giant-Man/Wasp/Captain America subplot).

The OG Infinity Gauntlet is a bit too dated and I don't think it's accessible enough to readers. But then again I thought of adding Hickman's Avengers and... yeah

zoux posted:

Hickman's whole thing from FF4 through Secret Wars is one of the great successes of comics storytelling but it is not for beginners. There were tons of characters in there I'd never heard of, much less someone who only knows people from the movies.

I don't think Planet Hulk is that inaccessible, you just have to know that The Powers that Be viewed Hulk as such a threat that they shot him into space. Everything else is new to 616 (afaik)

I never read the Bendis guardians stuff but my understanding is that they basically rewrote the Guardians to be 100% like the movies. I know people have problems with that run but you have to remember that people brand new to comics aren't gonna have the same problems with story/character stuff that long time readers do.

I read the first volume of Bendis's Guardians. It was okay but sort of lacking? I think the inclusion of Iron Man to the team was pure fanservice. Maybe it picks up after Angela appears though it's been poorly reviewed by most people in general.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Schneider Heim posted:

I read Annihilation and it was quite confusing, plus Richard Rider is the main character and he doesn't have an MCU equivalent yet, so I'm hesitant to recommend it.

I have not read Coates' BP, is it any good? It was polarizing last time I checked.

I don't know how the US edition works but my Annihilation tpbs came embedded with a guide called "Xandar Worldmind Nova Corps Database" which is essentially character cards for all major players of the crossover

And Annihilation and Annihilation² are the setups for Guardians of the Galaxy - the first page of the series literally begins after the last one of Annihilation² - so I'd say if they are interested in the GotG, go for it.

I enjoyed Coates' Black Panther but there is a lot of talking not a lot of fighting, so it depends on what people expect from a comic.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Got around to organizing my book shelf a little bit, purchased a new one too. Slightly annoyed that they don't match. These are all the books that I've finished, I have another shelf of un-read books that I migrate to these two after I'm done.