Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did you know Clayton Kershaw and Matthew Stafford grew up together?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Blah blah blah wins against winning teams

I thought they had a decent running game that year Bush and Bell split duties but whatever, it's always been a weakness so hopefully the poo poo they did to address it gives them some more options and Stafford doesn't have to run for his life all the time.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
what will be mentioned first,

patricia being a rapist, lions no 100 yard rusher, stafford played baseball with that nerd.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

patricia being a rapist, lions no 100 yard rusher, stafford played baseball with that nerd.

They won't touch the rape stuff, but I'd also throw in them referencing how many yards the Patriots gave up in the Super Bowl.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wait what about Blount?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Play posted:

They won't touch the rape stuff, but I'd also throw in them referencing how many yards the Patriots gave up in the Super Bowl.

and some mention of "rocket scientist"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

plot twist: they'll bust out that old infographic comparing megatron's wingspan to that of a garage

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Big Beef City posted:

After last night's game, we officially lead the Bears by 1 point.

The last 3 bears head coaches have a combined 2 wins against the Packers

Things have been really ugly since lovie left and losing to Hundley last year in a game the bears tried and failed to win was a death knell

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mastershakeman posted:

Things have been really ugly since lovie left and losing to Kizer last year in a game the bears tried and failed to win was a death knell

I'm guessing you mean Hundley, but they are basically the same player results-wise.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Play posted:

I'm guessing you mean Hundley, but they are basically the same player results-wise.

Yeah I just double checked, got them mixed up

God that game loving sucked. Mitch actually had yards but 6 pts until the 4th quarter

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
You do wonder how much of the Bears constantly melting down against the Packers is psychological. I mean, they could've iced the game over and over yesterday, yet they continually made really stupid mistakes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yup, that definitely looks like a rapist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Play posted:

They will give a token gesture of saying how he overcame adversity.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

LabyaMynora posted:

Yup, that definitely looks like a rapist.

The Lions wouldn’t be so easy to hate if they stopped recruiting the worst people in football.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BGrifter posted:

The Lions wouldn’t be so easy to hate if they stopped recruiting the worst people in football.

I'm in the odd position of loving Blount in his year with the Eagles and just want him to do well when he left.

Also because of how he slams through defenders.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lions will have 69 rushing yards book it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lions will have 69 rushing yards book it

preemptive nice

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Give the team more credit, the Bears are well on their way to respectability and maybe even contention.

It's more or less the same team. Good defense and trash offense.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So is McCarthy as bad as Packers fans make him out to be? Mind you I'm viewing this as a Bears fan who watches the Packers demolish them every season under McCarthy.

I thought the adjustments they made in the game were great. They quickly realized Trubisky can't read a defense and switched to a zone which turned him into a high school QB scrambling around for no reason. That hurry-up offense seemed to be a great strategy when they realized the Bears defense wasn't in game shape and Fangio was completely unprepared for it. Really his only mistake was letting Kizer throw at the end of the half instead of taking a knee.

Maybe this is just a case of a really bad coaching staff making a slightly better one look like geniuses. But I've always thought McCarthy was at worst a mediocre head coach.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

xsf421 posted:

We're going to inexplicably start Abdullah and the first 3 plays will be -1 yard runs up the middle.

Apparently not!

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1039267426997809152

A'Shawn being out is, uh, more than a little concerning though.

BGrifter posted:

Oh come on, aside from Patricia who have the Lions ever employed that was even marginally objectionable? Suh did nothing wrong

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Pettine runs the defense completely and Rodgers calls the plays in the no huddle. So by staying out of the way I guess he is good. My biggest beef is they supposedly overhauled a stale playbook this offseason, but I didn't notice any new wrinkles.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jim Schwartz was a crazy person but his garbage coaching handing the Packers easy wins, so I dunno why they'd hate him.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Niwrad posted:

So is McCarthy as bad as Packers fans make him out to be? Mind you I'm viewing this as a Bears fan who watches the Packers demolish them every season under McCarthy.

I, personally, don't think so. But I think I'm in a minority. I'm a big believer in coaching continuity, which made me a Capers apologist too for a number of years, though so I probably have really bad ideas and should be ignored.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Niwrad posted:

I thought the adjustments they made in the game were great. They quickly realized Trubisky can't read a defense and switched to a zone which turned him into a high school QB scrambling around for no reason. That hurry-up offense seemed to be a great strategy when they realized the Bears defense wasn't in game shape and Fangio was completely unprepared for it. Really his only mistake was letting Kizer throw at the end of the half instead of taking a knee.

Maybe this is just a case of a really bad coaching staff making a slightly better one look like geniuses. But I've always thought McCarthy was at worst a mediocre head coach.

Go rewatch the nfccg where they faced the seahawks you'll find something extremely similar to what happened last night

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

Niwrad posted:

You're right, the adjustments are almost always solid and packer fans are antsy and whiny a lot of the time. we've been in "win a super bowl" mode since 2011 and the playoffs are a crap shoot, so every time this above-average team falters everybody scrambles to find a head to stick on the end of a pike

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Niwrad posted:

You know how the bears just gave up a huge lead because they abandon what got them there in the first place

That is fat mike's MO

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Niwrad posted:

Packers could do worse, but I honestly think if he ever had to work without future HoF QB's under center, he'd be exposed as thoroughly mediocre.

He's got annoying tendencies - he wants a run game so bad, but he's never really been able to develop it. When he had Lacy, it was good, but that was only, like, 2 years. There's a tendency to build big leads in the first half, and then slowly bleed it away in the second half because he goes Run-Run-Pass 3-and-out over and over again. I get that he's trying to "do it by the book" and eat clock, and minimize turnovers, but you eat more clock getting first downs, and Aaron Rodgers isn't going to start throwing INTs all over the place. All the second half 3-and-outs also means that the Packers D gets gassed to the point where they can't stop the other team.

In a way, it's almost better for the Packers to fall behind early, 'cuz then he lets Rodgers do his thing. Of course, there are times when the Packers are simply outclassed and just fall behind early and never catch up.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Jay Cutler posted:

You're right, the adjustments are almost always solid and packer fans are antsy and whiny a lot of the time. we've been in "win a super bowl" mode since 2011 and the playoffs are a crap shoot, so every time this above-average team falters everybody scrambles to find a head to stick on the end of a pike

The Packers should've been to at least one more Super Bowl since 2010, and the failure to do so really comes down to Fat Mike's playcalling, and the Packers Defense. The former impacts the latter.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh come on, aside from Patricia who have the Lions ever employed that was even marginally objectionable? Suh did nothing wrong

Suh was a garbage human being and the Lions fanbase lost all credibility defending his sorry rear end.

The Vikings and Bears are friendly rivals, I’d happily root for either should the Packers be eliminated. I’m really excited to see the Vikings/Packers games this season, and I’d love to see the Bears grow into an elite defense. I don’t have any hate for Vikings and Bears fans, it’s more like a sibling rivalry situation.

The Lions on the other hand I wish nothing but misery and pain. gently caress the Lions. I’d love to see them go 0-16 forever.

Except for Megatron and Barry Sanders, they’re cool and totally get a pass.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Right, it's past midnight, the Lions have scored on a pick six on the first play of the game so it's all downhill from now on

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1039292078037954560

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Goons, sweet goons, I need sports radio and ~~~spicy Chicago hot takes~~~ about last night's game mainlined into my veins (it was a lovely day and I Need This)

I put up this offering in exchange: All Things Considered This May Be The Worst Tweet Of All Time

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Darius Slay is dead.

This is a cursed franchise. They will always let you down. Never put your hope in them.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gonz posted:

Darius Slay is dead.

This is a cursed franchise. They will always let you down. Never put your hope in them.

hes back in the game everyone

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Matthew Stafford just injured his knee

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

exploded mummy posted:

Matthew Stafford just injured his knee

:sigh: Tragedy has struck the best quarterback in the division!

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Stafford is ok but Lions look like absolute trash in the first half.

They need to legit bench Jarrad Davis, not only is he not good he's a liability.

Ziggy Ansah apparently has a shoulder injury of some sort. I'm shocked! :rolleyes:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What I'm getting here is that the Packers, Vikings, and Bears are all secretly terrible and the Lions will win the division because we're openly mediocre.

Everyone in this thread envy's your innocence.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

Imagine ever doubting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What I'm getting here is that the Packers, Vikings, and Bears are all secretly terrible and the Lions will win the division because we're openly mediocre.

This post has aged like milk.