Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!

ntan1 posted:

konbini trash cans - sure there is a sign that says "do not put trash from home into these trash cans", but this is when pretending you don't know Japanese has its merits.

“Pretending”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

They also sell a bunch of knives and they make pretty good souvenirs. I just have stringent help me out

I mean dont get me wrong I'm a nerd who buys knives when I travel to Japan too, but the knives I do have are overkill also.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

I’m lobbying my girlfriend for a wash let now.

Make sure you get size of your current toilet seat and that you can get an outlet in your bathroom

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Darfuri War Orphan posted:

“Pretending”

The new hotness is signs telling people not to squish Starbucks cups into the recycle bins by vending machines.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Trash cans aren’t common because the government want people to pay for garbage disposal. Saw it in. A documentary that extra bins just encourages littering and people relying on public facilities instead of paying extra for garbage and reducing waste

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

Which? chefknivestogo has their standard stainless line and a couple of others at very little markup. Sure tsukiji has a better selection, but do most people really need special fish knives?

Well, there's Tsukiji Masamoto and Sohoten Masamoto. I mean, yeah it really isn't a huge difference, but the Tsukiji ones aren't sold outside of Japan except at a huge markup.

Also you can get the dude to engrave your initials in at the Tsukiji shop which is nice for a souvenir.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

ridiculous kit kat flavors, ninja boots.

The new hotness is Pringles flvaors, such as yakitori, gyudon, t-bone steak, and potato salad.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

I’m lobbying my girlfriend for a wash let now.

If you need to lobby someone to get them to have an actual clean rear end then it over

ntan1 posted:

konbini trash cans - sure there is a sign that says "do not put trash from home into these trash cans", but this is when pretending you don't know Japanese has its merits.

They just mean don’t like take a big old bag of your home poo poo. You’re totally cool dropping of poo poo you have when out and about

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Get a tenugui

It's a dishrag, a washcloth, a headband, giftwrap, a decoration!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you need to lobby someone to get them to have an actual clean rear end then it over

If people need to be convinced to use a wash let then they are loving retarded. It’s way cleaner than the ones in Europe or south East Asian garden hose

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don’t poop during the spray.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Get a tenugui

Better yet you should ask for a tenuki it’s even better

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Get a tenugui

We got some during our last trip and they are fantastically useful. I have used it for wrapping things to carry, cleaning park benches, emergency towel, even fixed my bike on the side of the road with one once. I carry one with me everywhere now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

caberham posted:

south East Asian garden hose
At least they usually have the hoses in the squat toilets. I couldn't figure out how to make the scoop and trough of water work though.

caberham posted:

Don’t poop during the spray.
I just saw a wand that wasn't clean despite the machines best attempt at self cleaning.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 10, 2018

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CopperHound posted:

At least they usually have the hoses in the squat toilets. I couldn't figure out how to make the scoop and trough of water work though.

You ladle water onto your left hand, wipe with same (which is why the left hand is considered unclean), then wash the hand with the rest of the water. It's actually pretty good.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Alright if you’re gonna make obnoxious Japan videos this is the way to do it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kewXtkGmDtw

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

gschmidl posted:

You ladle water onto your left hand, wipe with same (which is why the left hand is considered unclean), then wash the hand with the rest of the water. It's actually pretty good.

That doesn't sound good at all.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stringent posted:

That doesn't sound good at all.

P much this. My work has a washlet and so does my house. gently caress if I’m ever going to be happy with spooning water over my poo poo covered hand.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Knuc U Kinte posted:

P much this. My work has a washlet and so does my house. gently caress if I’m ever going to be happy with spooning water over my poo poo covered hand.

To clarify: it was less gross/weird and worked better than I expected, I wouldn't want it at home.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Japan bath culture and toilet culture #1

That’s why the country is so fun to visit because even taking a poo poo and spraying water up your rear end is so delightful.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Scoop and ladle is also a giant mosquito incubator. You get all these bites on your legs when you are at your most vulnerable state. The point of wearing pants and long sleeved tropical weather is to prevent bug bites.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Japan bath culture and toilet culture #1

That’s why the country is so fun to visit because even taking a poo poo and spraying water up your rear end is so delightful.

It certainly leaves a pleasant impression each time.
A bidet is certainly coming into my home

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Go to Akihabara and buy the 3 Japanese treasures

Rice cooker

Washlet

Pharmacy poo poo

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

Go to Akihabara and buy the 3 Japanese treasures

Rice cooker

Washlet

Pharmacy poo poo

Stereotypical chinese itt

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
The only issue with getting a washlet is that you need a power source nearby for it. Some people just don't want to run some power extension cords around their bathrooms for it. Some for aesthetic reasons, others for safety.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ntan1 posted:

Stereotypical chinese itt

:thejoke:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Stumbling Block posted:

The only issue with getting a washlet is that you need a power source nearby for it. Some people just don't want to run some power extension cords around their bathrooms for it. Some for aesthetic reasons, others for safety.

if you're lucky you can put in a switch with an outlet underneath and just run a short cord to it. i was not so lucky so i do have a long cord going around the cornet, but i can't think of a better way to die than at the hands of my cheap toshiba washlet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

mikeycp posted:

i can't think of a better way to die than at the hands of my cheap toshiba washlet.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nature idiots find a way.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Hey guys I'm in Japan right now and I love this place but I have two dumb questions.

I remember seeing kids in Tokyo pulling a cart that had more kids on it hitting a drum. What's the deal with that?

My second question is what's up with all these white dudes/neckbeards in Kyoto wearing traditional dresses?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

keevo posted:

Hey guys I'm in Japan right now and I love this place but I have two dumb questions.

I remember seeing kids in Tokyo pulling a cart that had more kids on it hitting a drum. What's the deal with that?

My second question is what's up with all these white dudes/neckbeards in Kyoto wearing traditional dresses?

Sounds like a festival; they were in traditional clothes or what?

In Kyoto they rent kimono/yukata/whatnot and people wear it. There’s a bunch of them because Japan has a shitton of tourists now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or they just want to walk around Kyoto in traditional clothing because the city just oozes with history and they can take nice photos

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It sure as hell beats parading around asakusa and that one temple and door way. It’s not like they are going to Yoshiwara for work :downsrim:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If I understand correctly, most of the "geishas" you see on the streets of Kyoto are just tourists who paid to dress up like maiko (apprentice geisha). There's a lot of subtle differences between authentic Kyoto geiko and maiko and dressed-up tourists, but the easiest way to tell is if the "geisha" is stopping for pictures. Real geisha are on their way to and from appointments and won't have time for a photo op. If you chase them down and make them take pictures with you or touch their hair or clothes, you're officially an rear end in a top hat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yukatas are comfortable but i only wear them indoors because ultimately I can't shake the feeling that I'm wearing a dress

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think I could ever pull off a yukata outdoors. Huge case of "look at whitey over here" :ohdear:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Two questions:

1) Best place to buy a nice backpack for around 5000 to 20000 yen? I know of Tokyu Hands and other department stores but I'm wondering if there are Japanese specific high end brands that I should check out

2) Best place to exchange large sums of Yen into Euro? (I don't have the option of transfer, withdrawal from ATM etc. I only have cash)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Busy Bee posted:

Two questions:

1) Best place to buy a nice backpack for around 5000 to 20000 yen? I know of Tokyu Hands and other department stores but I'm wondering if there are Japanese specific high end brands that I should check out

Mont Bell is pretty nice I think. I dunno if MB is that high quality but it's a typically Japanese brand that specializes in outdoor stuff, they have big stores everywhere, there's one in Kyobashi, for example.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 11, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I didn’t even know mont bell was Japanese haha.

Busy Bee posted:

Two questions:

2) Best place to exchange large sums of Yen into Euro? (I don't have the option of transfer, withdrawal from ATM etc. I only have cash)

What kind of backpack are you looking for, for what purpose, and what size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Pththya-lyi posted:

Real geisha are on their way to and from appointments and won't have time for a photo op. If you chase them down and make them take pictures with you or touch their hair or clothes, you're officially an rear end in a top hat.

And don't even think about telepathically levitating a disembodied hand towards then while pretending to nonchalantly lean on a railing.