Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

it's not getting any money because whitefish mt exists

do u think Zinke is holding his breath right now in anticipation of contract bids for power lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lokar posted:

my plan was to play dragon quest XI this week, but I guess I’ll just watch the Carolinas dissolve into the ocean instead

i only put 8 hours into it last week, but its real good

hope i don't lose power so i can "work from home" as long as my home doesn't get smashed and/or rained on

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

it's not getting any money because whitefish mt exists

oh it's getting plenty of money, it's just that it's gonna use it to pay some two-week-old company in whitefish, and somehow it'll turn out that $30 million only bought a crate of potato chips and 1000 bags of twizzlers that ended up sitting at the airport for three weeks

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

do u think Zinke is holding his breath right now in anticipation of contract bids for power lines

i imagine him smoking a cigar and wearing a green visor and sleeve garters while counting money and laughing maniacally

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

im gonna die

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

triple sulk posted:

im gonna die

stay safe triple ghost

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

triple sulk posted:

im gonna die

:toxx:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Virginia_AFLCIO/status/1039266737227747329 ffffffffff

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

im gonna die

can i have your posts

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Demon Of The Fall posted:

imaging being a native dude hundreds of years ago just chillin on the SC beach eating some
maize or whatever and then getting absolutely owned with no warning haha

Colonial records suggest that Native Americans were pretty good at predicting hurricanes, both on the level of knowing which year was likely to be a bad one, and also giving warning 10-11 days in advance to colonists. Furthermore, they built large elevated mounds all over the place where they could have gone in case of flooding.

Lawman 0 posted:

I hope it finally causes the people of north Carolina to overthrow their government

In 1667 a Dutch fleet raided Jamestown Virginia, burning 6 ships and capturing 12, along with the entire year’s tobacco harvest and all the ships there. Being paranoid of another attack, they doubled down on shoving everyone and all the weapons into a fort. The following month a devastating hurricane hit (possibly the worst in Virginia’s history), destroying 10,000 homes and sweeping the fort, its foundations and all the guns and troops into the ocean.

The economy was devastated by the hurricane, and many of the settlements along waterways were destroyed. In the initial years rebuilding was very slow, leading to farms being rebuilt closer together. This in turn led to epidemics among livestock, further damaging the economy. Because there was no money around, the taxes weren’t enough to pay for the rebuilding of fortifications, and the colony remained largely unprotected. This allowed the Dutch to attack again in 1673, again capturing 11 ships and many goods.

As a result of this, taxes were raised for a garrison. And other steps were taken to try to improve the economy, such as making blacks into permanent slaves instead of indentured servants, and transitioning towards a slave-based economy that favored the wealthy. Being sick of the dangers and taxes and poor economy on the coast, many settlers began moving further inland, and this led to severe conflicts with native Americans. Things got so bad that it eventually led to Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676, which led to Jamestown (the capital of Virginia) being burnt to the ground by rebels. Historians usually don’t mention this when discussing Bacon’s Rebellion, but a lot of the problems that led up to it can be traced back to the Great Hurricane of 1667, its devastation of the economy, and bad policy decisions made in the aftermath. (And the Dutch.)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wow

twoday
May 4, 2005

This storm looks pretty bad

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

anyone dead yet

twoday
May 4, 2005

I’m the model where it bounces off the Carolinas and hits Newfoundland as a category 4 hurricane

twoday has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Sep 10, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a.lo posted:

anyone dead yet

\

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

a.lo posted:

anyone dead yet

me i hope

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

did the Carolinas build any nuclear power plants on the coasts?

radioactive pig poo poo floods would make this even better

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So is the federal government actually going to gently caress this up or are we gonna get photos next week of Trump standing uncomfortably 5 miles from where the damage was actually done as CHUDS cheer?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So is the federal government actually going to gently caress this up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28klp1qQGI

also this poo poo is gonna annihilate my parents' house, which is fine because they're moneyed and will be safe and financially compensated, but they're gonna be way up in my space for the foreseeable future

twoday
May 4, 2005

Lokar posted:

lol, yep

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28klp1qQGI

also this poo poo is gonna annihilate my parents' house, which is fine because they're moneyed and will be safe and financially compensated, but they're gonna be way up in my space for the foreseeable future

what up my man whose old folks live on a barrier island

Are they in the OBX?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So is the federal government actually going to gently caress this up or are we gonna get photos next week of Trump standing uncomfortably 5 miles from where the damage was actually done as CHUDS cheer?

yes and yes

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

haha yes

the Brunswick nuclear plant is in the zone

quote:

SOUTHPORT, NC (WWAY) — The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has scheduled a meeting with Duke Energy later this month about more issues at the Brunswick Nuclear Plant in Southport.

The NRC and Duke Energy will meet May 12 in Atlanta to discuss two apparent violations associated with flood protection, corrective actions and reporting of potential flood-related impacts at the plant, the NRC said in a news release.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Lokar posted:

cmon, no one would let that poo poo happen again after fukushima--

Lokar posted:

haha yes

:piaa:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Wilmington goon here; getting the gently caress out tomorrow morning. Pray for me.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Lokar posted:

haha yes

the Brunswick nuclear plant is in the zone

i just looked it up on maps and there's a naval munitions depot just to the northeast of it because lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

insanely owns that a huge chunk of the Carolinas' will get covered in radioactive pig poo poo water that also has coal ash in it and that since it's happening 2 months before elections they won't be able to get any of the shits responsable out.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

reignofevil posted:

Wilmington goon here; getting the gently caress out tomorrow morning. Pray for me.

1 thought = 1 prayer

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Praying.....

FOR DEATH :kheldragar:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Agean90 posted:

insanely owns that a huge chunk of the Carolinas' will get covered in radioactive pig poo poo water that also has coal ash in it and that since it's happening 2 months before elections they won't be able to get any of the shits responsable out.

Maybe all the chuds will leave and they won't have time to redraw the map

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm the scenario that resurrects as a Cat 5 in a week and a half from now lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Maybe all the chuds will leave and they won't have time to redraw the map

the chuds have incumbency and gerrymandering in their side, which means it up to the opposition to make an effort, which is very hard to do when there's radioactive pig poo poo water that also has coal ash in it disrupting your gotv effort

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the nc legislature will either make it illegal to be a victim of a hurricane or make it illegal to vote if you were in a hurricane

probably both

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agean90 posted:

the coal ash is also radioactive

twoday
May 4, 2005

lol at mandatory evacuation in virginia and South carolina only

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Phone posted:

the nc legislature will either make it illegal to be a victim of a hurricane or make it illegal to vote if you were in a hurricane

probably both

you're forgetting the option that ray "chocolate city" nagin chose after katrina where you just send out voting machines to the places outta state where your population displaced to

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My old brigade commander is from NC and he was there for the recovery efforts in PR after Maria. Maybe we can pay him back once Florence destroys the carolinas :unsmith:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Colonial records suggest that Native Americans were pretty good at predicting hurricanes, both on the level of knowing which year was likely to be a bad one, and also giving warning 10-11 days in advance to colonists. Furthermore, they built large elevated mounds all over the place where they could have gone in case of flooding.

In 1667 a Dutch fleet raided Jamestown Virginia, burning 6 ships and capturing 12, along with the entire year’s tobacco harvest and all the ships there. Being paranoid of another attack, they doubled down on shoving everyone and all the weapons into a fort. The following month a devastating hurricane hit (possibly the worst in Virginia’s history), destroying 10,000 homes and sweeping the fort, its foundations and all the guns and troops into the ocean.

The economy was devastated by the hurricane, and many of the settlements along waterways were destroyed. In the initial years rebuilding was very slow, leading to farms being rebuilt closer together. This in turn led to epidemics among livestock, further damaging the economy. Because there was no money around, the taxes weren’t enough to pay for the rebuilding of fortifications, and the colony remained largely unprotected. This allowed the Dutch to attack again in 1673, again capturing 11 ships and many goods.

As a result of this, taxes were raised for a garrison. And other steps were taken to try to improve the economy, such as making blacks into permanent slaves instead of indentured servants, and transitioning towards a slave-based economy that favored the wealthy. Being sick of the dangers and taxes and poor economy on the coast, many settlers began moving further inland, and this led to severe conflicts with native Americans. Things got so bad that it eventually led to Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676, which led to Jamestown (the capital of Virginia) being burnt to the ground by rebels. Historians usually don’t mention this when discussing Bacon’s Rebellion, but a lot of the problems that led up to it can be traced back to the Great Hurricane of 1667, its devastation of the economy, and bad policy decisions made in the aftermath. (And the Dutch.)

I would really like to know how Native Americans could predict hurricanes so well because that sounds cool as hell

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I hope the hurricane increases to a category 6 where it significantly alters the geography of the place it makes landfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

twoday posted:

lol at mandatory evacuation in virginia and South carolina only
nah

▪ Hyde County issued a state of emergency and a mandatory evacuation order for all island visitors immediately and for residents starting Tuesday at 5 a.m.

▪ Brunswick County issued a more limited mandatory evacuation on Monday, applying only to residents in low lying and “flood prone” areas, according to the Wilmington Star.

▪ North Topsail Beach in Onslow County announced a state of emergency and ordered a mandatory evacuation of the town beginning at 8 a.m. on Tuesday.