Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paranoid randroid posted:

Let's Play Decorum Age: Origins

what we need here is a Decorum Age: Inquisition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LinYutang posted:

according to this, Nixon's strongest demographic might be white men lol

https://scri.siena.edu/2018/09/10/cuomo-increases-lead-over-nixon-to-41-points-63-22/

looks more like she's had trouble getting her name out there. when half of black voters don't know whether to rate you favorably or unfavorably, that points to a weak ground game

assuming that polling is accurate. hard to believe that millennials like Cuomo more than Gen X does

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

these were the decorous and good-faith republicans that shut down the government because newt threw a tantrum about not getting to ride on af1 and a bunch of serial cheaters impeached bill for getting a blowjob right

"faith" and "good" are nebulous words, just like "if"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

these were the decorous and good-faith republicans that shut down the government because newt threw a tantrum about not getting to ride on af1 and a bunch of serial cheaters impeached bill for getting a blowjob right

that was three years later

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nothus posted:

Every new yorker I talk to is voting for Cuomo but none of them can articulate why or has any real enthusiasm for him. God the voters here are useless.

The NY democratic party is outright hostile to outside thinking, is easily controlled by a few powerful interests, and voting in their primaries is basically impossible. This state is all but outright trained to ignore the party politics and just vote in general elections, so the parties can make sure that whatever criminals that are enriching themselves get to continue to do that no matter who wins.

It's depressing, but... well, it's just depressing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

looks more like she's had trouble getting her name out there. when half of black voters don't know whether to rate you favorably or unfavorably, that points to a weak ground game

assuming that polling is accurate. hard to believe that millennials like Cuomo more than Gen X does

nobody under the age of 40 has ever seen sex and the city

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
In line at the pawn shop, tipsy, chatting up an older black lady around my parents' age, told her about the news calling John McCain a war hero and she actually :stonk:ed in real life.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

pretty much everything I've heard about Nixon actual campaign is that it's weak as hell, not surprised by the poll results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LinYutang posted:

https://scri.siena.edu/2018/09/10/cuomo-increases-lead-over-nixon-to-41-points-63-22/

I'd be curious to see the age break-down, since something similar happened with Hillary (if, for example, minority primary voters are disproportionately older, it can give the establishment candidate higher support - IIRC this is basically what happened in the 2016 primary with black voters).

I'm also not sure how well known Nixon is as a candidate outside of the internet.

edit: Oh, it does give generational break-down. That's weird.

My guess is that maybe the broader voting public hasn't really made the association of Nixon with "the comparatively progressive candidate."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Addamere posted:

what we need here is a Decorum Age: Inquisition

I kind of like DA:I because it's basically a game about stomping around the country binching idiots left and right like at the ball where you are like "sup mother fuckers you're all under arrest."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paranoid randroid posted:

I kind of like DA:I because it's basically a game about stomping around the country binching idiots left and right like at the ball where you are like "sup mother fuckers you're all under arrest."

now extend this allegory to the decorumcrats and outlaw neoliberals forever :hai:

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THAT FANCY BAGEL, MRS. NIXON

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LinYutang posted:

initial sanders support -was- this way. its bc it turns out if you have a high amount of privilege you have a higher chance of being Extremely Online

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grondoth posted:

The NY democratic party is outright hostile to outside thinking, is easily controlled by a few powerful interests, and voting in their primaries is basically impossible. This state is all but outright trained to ignore the party politics and just vote in general elections, so the parties can make sure that whatever criminals that are enriching themselves get to continue to do that no matter who wins.

It's depressing, but... well, it's just depressing.

also NYC has been the most machine politics place in america for 150 years that somehow gets ignored because the daleys in chicago decided to gently caress with national elections

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Nothus posted:

Every new yorker I talk to is voting for Cuomo but none of them can articulate why or has any real enthusiasm for him. God the voters here are useless.

I would be unsurprised to find that cuomo had gone around and personally threatened every voter in new york

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Addamere posted:

maybe ask them to vote for nixon instead?

I've convinced a few people but I'm just one rear end in a top hat with a loud opinion.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bushiz posted:

I would be unsurprised to find that cuomo had gone around and personally threatened every voter in new york

dude is afraid to even go to a subway station, no way he has this level of ground engagement

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bushiz posted:

the only thing cuomo could possibly threaten me with is cuomo staying as governor

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
incumbents in the us have like 95% reelection rates , just sayin

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

As a random idiot who's never set foot in NY, I think the real elections to watch are the AG and the LG, mostly because they seem to have real ground campaigns

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

As a random idiot who's never set foot in NY, I think the real elections to watch are the AG and the LG,

would this happen to be because bernie endorsed them?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Addamere posted:

would this happen to be because bernie endorsed them?

this is 3rd hand from information gathered from people in this forum but basically it's because they're running a serious ground campaign and have a real chance of winning. Bernie endorsing them and skipping on Nixon, whose same campaign is apparently being run more like she's a protest candidate, add weight on to this being accurate

also Cuomo winning govenor only to get strung up on corruption charges by an ag who hates him would own

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
teachout as AG is hugely important because she can prosecute bankers, just sayin

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anime was right posted:

teachout as AG is hugely important because she can prosecute bankers, just sayin

She's gonna be the American rospieree

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

sounds good to me!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Satchel and Trunk posted:

The BDS schmear.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

anime was right posted:

initial sanders support -was- this way. its bc it turns out if you have a high amount of privilege you have a higher chance of being Extremely Online

Yeah; the problem is that if you get most of your media from sources like TV/newspapers/radio, you're almost always going to come out with the perception that a mainstream/establishment candidate is best.

The sole exception is a race that is so incredibly high profile that another competitor can get strong TV coverage (like with Sanders).

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah; the problem is that if you get most of your media from sources like TV/newspapers/radio, you're almost always going to come out with the perception that a mainstream/establishment candidate is best.

The sole exception is a race that is so incredibly high profile that another competitor can get strong TV coverage (like with Sanders).

there is also the fact that america reelects incumbents like 95% of the time

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Satchel and Trunk posted:

The BDS schmear.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1039253737947234305 Hoarse Whisperer is back on his bullshit but Chris feels compelled to defend his honor

Somebody has to slam Horse Whisperer next, binch has been able to duck the ownage unlike hotep Ragnorok Lobster

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/marieaire/status/1039262076789817345

This is loving obviously organized lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

teachout is good, could actually win AG, and incidentally also ran a protest campaign in 2014 against cuomo and also got walloped to the tune of like 30 points

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what does hillary have to do with coldplay :raise:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

teachout is good, could actually win AG, and incidentally also ran a protest campaign in 2014 against cuomo and also got walloped to the tune of like 30 points

can the AG actually act independently in NY?

if not then i mean yay for the symbolic win if so but with a hostile establishment gov what will teachout actually be able to do?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

dont yuck my yum

admittedly a better slogan than anything the dems have been able to put out

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ThndrShk2k posted:

Google started suggesting results towards "Italian Tomato Pie" when I search for it.

i google searched the image and it brought up pumpkin pie

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Addamere posted:

can the AG actually act independently in NY?

if not then i mean yay for the symbolic win if so but with a hostile establishment gov what will teachout actually be able to do?

idk itd be good if she actually investigated cuomo and his friends but she's also the only one with actual balls that would follow through of the fantasized-about and necessary plan of loading up the fantastically corrupt trump empire on ny state charges

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

idk itd be good if she actually investigated cuomo and his friends but she's also the only one with actual balls that would follow through of the fantasized-about and necessary plan of loading up the fantastically corrupt trump empire on ny state charges

can she also maybe gently caress with wall st?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/tip/status/1039201171968339969?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

realtalk,

I think we need to hear more of the rhetoric of how X or Y or Z has been effectively accessible and/or legal for the privileged (rich, white, etc.), and that [Candidate]'s platform is to make that thing available and legal to everyone. Whether that thing is marijuana or healthcare or abortion, just openly frame it as giving to the many what the few have been able to get for the longest time. Make every single issue a social issue, and tell us how we're all going to be happier and healthier with you in office.