Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Michael Moore has done more for elevating class consciousness and America’s culture of fear than anyone in the DNC leadership in over 20 years.

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Sure, but he’s annoying to listen to outside of documentaries.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

psydude posted:

Is this actually Martello, or a guy who happens to look exactly like him?

It’s him, that’s his name.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Michael Moore has done more for elevating class consciousness and America’s culture of fear than anyone in the DNC leadership in over 20 years.

hth

He has, and that's good.

Though, IIRC in Bowling for Columbine didn't he do some sketchy poo poo like edit together bits from multiple speeches to make it look like Charlton Heston was goading the Colorado audience in his speech after Columbine? I thought I read something way way back when the movie was still new that Moore was trying to pass off a heavily edited / reconstructed bit as something that happened more or less all on the same night. That's pretty lovely IMO.

Roger and Me was loving awesome though, everyone should watch that at least once.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Michael Moore can mislead a bit, but he's no Alex Jones (see: Police State "docs"). Giorgio Tsoukalos (Ancient Aliens guy) is leaps and bounds ahead of Alex Jones, but still not nearly as credible as Michael Moore. Sadly.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/shaunking/statu...ingawful.com%2F

That waste of space is already changing her story.

She's gonna walk, and unless some anonymous citizen does the needful, there will be no justice for her straight up murdering a dude for the crime of living in his own apartment

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe we should wait and see what happens before we speculate that the only justice is non-judicial

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I own not one, but several flashlights AND a cell phone :smug:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I've got a refrigerator :smug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I am a member of several flashlight message boards and regularly fantasize about shooting urban youths who try to steal my flashlights. You could say I'm kind of a big deal in the flashlight community.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I am a member of several flashlight message boards and regularly fantasize about shooting urban youths who try to steal my flashlights. You could say I'm kind of a big deal in the flashlight community.

I think I've heard about your posting

https://thefpl.us/episode/273

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 10, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

White privilege at work folks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'd value my AceBeam X80 as being worth about 5.74 human lives.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd value my AceBeam X80 as being worth about 5.74 human lives.

25,000 lumens. :stare:

Are you trying to be a walking light house? That actually sounds dangerously bright. What's a single car headlight put out? My fancy bicycle headlight is 950 lumens and already pisses people off for being so bright.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Are you trying to be a walking light house? That actually sounds dangerously bright. What's a single car headlight put out? My fancy bicycle headlight is 950 lumens and already pisses people off for being so bright.
I don't actually own one, but it's so dumb that I kind of want one now.

I have a couple of nice compact flashlights and a few headlamps.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got a surefire led flashlight for free and a 15-year old petzl headlamp, where do I rank on the privilege map?

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

MA-Horus posted:

A serious pro-click for people that think "oh hurricanes aren't all that dangerous"

https://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

tl;dr P3 Orions are tough loving aircraft.

MA-Horus posted:

A serious pro-click for people that think "oh hurricanes aren't all that dangerous"

https://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

tl;dr P3 Orions are tough loving aircraft.

That particular tail number is landing in St. Croix (which still has a decent amount of storm damage from Irma and Maria) in about 2 hours. It even still has a big rear end dent in the handrail that runs along the aisle ceiling from when a life raft hit in on that big bump they took. A bunch of those names are still in the game too.

They’ve spent the past 3 days doing missions in Florence. We will now start on Hurricane Isaac.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mods changed my name posted:

Here ghole, I owed you a better response than snark so I took a little time and made an effort post in word and copied it here from word, so forgive weird formatting errors:

My point is, when it’s a crime by someone whom is not a cop, you get so many of the law and order types crying for blood, that they’re wasting taxpayer dollars by being in jail and not dead, and so on. Yet, when a cop murders someone they resort to the victim blaming and such, he was no angel, pulling pictures from their social media to totally show they’re a bad dude (and to be fair, I haven’t seen that particularly happen with this case, in this thread, but how far would I need to look down comments on an article about it to find some?). But, strangely enough, when a cop does something bad and we need to extend them the benefit of doubt, god bless them, they try but sometimes they mess up. Like, when you see that kind of constant hypocrisy by the Thin Blue Line types, it gets really loving tiresome and you turn it back on them just a little and you’re obviously a deviant and dismissed because sometimes you smoke weed. It’s totally loving retarded, and at the end all the law & order dudes are holding cops at a lower standard than the actual criminals, because they’re under a lot of “stress” and such, we should hear their side of the story blah blah blah.

Like, I’m not so terminally stoned or retarded that I don’t understand due process or why someone who may feel personal guilt would enter a non-guilty plea. I just don’t get why I’m supposed to extend this guy a benefit of the doubt? Because he’s used to be a goon? Because he is a cop? I’m sorry but none of those are compelling reasons unless you believe police are inherently better than their fellow man or somehow infallible and that’s just silly. It’s just a loving job. This whole “it’s a lifestyle and a sacrifice” bullshit isn’t any different than the “thank you for your service” poo poo people say about being in the military and we all know that’s a farce, unless you’re some sort of weird Kool-Aid drinker, and hell, the police standards for joining and conduct are a hell of a lot lower than even the lowly US Army, soo, yeah.
I just guess in the end if Martello had given the dude the benefit of the doubt that I’m expected to give him then we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

And yes, this was a post written on weed since that apparently matters

Previous reports put him in remorse and near panic in the immediate aftermath. Not the typical response from a blueline rear end in a top hat looking for an excuse to kill a minority. And it’s probably going to help put him in prison. I get annoyed at the knee jerk responses that have become the hallmark of this thread, but I try not to be a dick about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wonder Free posted:

That particular tail number is landing in St. Croix (which still has a decent amount of storm damage from Irma and Maria) in about 2 hours. It even still has a big rear end dent in the handrail that runs along the aisle ceiling from when a life raft hit in on that big bump they took. A bunch of those names are still in the game too.

They’ve spent the past 3 days doing missions in Florence. We will now start on Hurricane Isaac.

With how insane the atlantic is right now can you hit two hurricanes right now or do you have to refuel?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

DoktorLoken posted:

That thing is brighter than most card headlights.

The Amazon reviews are also crazy.

Amazon reviews posted:

Those incredibly high lumens come at a price. I quickly learned; you can only hand-hold this flashlight for more than ten minutes on low (800 lumens) or mid (2,500 lumens). High, Turbo, and Turbo-max will quickly get too hot and require gloves. And of course, turbo is only for three minutes before automatically throttling down, and turbo-plus is only for one minute. If they ever make a flashlight that can put out even 10,000 lumens continuously (no throttle down after x time) and still be hand-holdable, I predict it will be HUGE with a built-in exhaust fan (to dissipate heat).

It's so ridiculous, you can't even use it at max power for more than a minute or two.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

hobbesmaster posted:

With how insane the atlantic is right now can you hit two hurricanes right now or do you have to refuel?

We might be able to, but it wouldn’t be enough to produce anything meaningful since we generally need to fly through it in several different sections. Isaac is a decent way away still.

We have a G-IV that we use for high altitude stuff that does that sometimes though. It mostly just samples the weather around the hurricane to find shear and what is steering it. It’s a bit more boring than the P-3 IMO.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw some video where a guy built a watercooled flashlight that kicked off some crazy amount of light. Like projecting a square of daylight hundreds of feet.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is more lumen = more eye damage or is that not how it works?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/status/1039279385214369794?s=21

Here’s a politician using Twitter appropriately imho

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That was a hella good episode.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Its September 11 happy forever war day

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JeffYuma/status/1039175644406407168?s=19

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Is the joke they’re two separate dudes who just look similar? Idgi? Is one a criminal?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

Is the joke they’re two separate dudes who just look similar? Idgi? Is one a criminal?

It's that crazy Serpico dude who felt justified killing cops because his job didn't go how he wanted.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's Dorner in both pictures.

Jesus gently caress, you guys are terrible at recognizing heroes.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

aphid_licker posted:

Yes, it's very specifically a measure of not only light flux, but how much your eye would pick up.

It tells you exactly how blind you'd get how quickly.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Kawasaki Nun posted:

his job didn't go how he wanted.

That's more justification than plenty of cops have when they kill people.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

mods changed my name posted:

That's more justification than plenty of cops have when they kill people.

Perhaps everyone we are discussing sucks then?

Edit: and to be honest if you're a cop you've probably had a couple jobs go wrong on you in the process

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

M_Gargantua posted:

Mods???

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Facial recognition software is not ready for primetime ITT

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Its September 11 happy forever war day

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/377947866641485824?s=19

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

aphid_licker posted:

“A very energetic scientist from Brooklyn” posted:

They gave out dark glasses that you could watch it with. Dark glasses! Twenty miles away, you couldn’t see a drat thing through dark glasses. So I figured the only thing that could really hurt your eyes (bright light can never hurt your eyes) is ultraviolet light. I got behind a truck windshield, because the ultraviolet can’t go through glass, so that would be safe, and so I could see the drat thing.

Time comes, and this tremendous flash out there is so bright that I duck, and I see this purple splotch on the floor of the truck. I said, “That’s not it. That’s an after-image.” So I look back up, and I see this white light changing into yellow and then into orange. Clouds form and disappear again—from the compression and expansion of the shock wave. Finally, a big ball of orange, the center that was so bright, becomes a ball of orange that starts to rise and billow a little bit and get a little black around the edges, and then you see it’s a big ball of smoke with flashes on the inside of the fire going out, the heat. All this took about one minute.

It was a series from bright to dark, and I had seen it. I am about the only guy who actually looked at the drat thing—the first Trinity test. Everybody else had dark glasses, and the people at six miles couldn’t see it because they were all told to lie on the floor. I’m probably the only guy who saw it with the human eye.

Finally, after about a minute and a half, there’s suddenly a tremendous noise—BANG, and then a rumble, like thunder—and that’s what convinced me. Nobody had said a word during this whole thing. We were all just watching quietly. But this sound released everybody—released me particularly because the solidity of the sound at that distance meant that it had really worked. The man standing next to me said, “What’s that?” I said, “That was the Bomb.”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mlmp08 posted:

Facial recognition software is not ready for primetime ITT

I wonder how many people believe that's LL Cool J.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:piss:

https://twitter.com/AndyFoxWAVY/status/1039277760848584704

The center of the storm is 1,027 miles from the outer banks and they're loving already underwater

• Locked thread