Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Porsche paint is supernaturally hard imo, as long as you don’t leave a big bird poo poo on your hood nothing should hurt your paint.

Yeah, I leave bird poo poo on for weeks and I've had my car for years np, and my car is black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

dema posted:

Love it. Real mean sounding under acceleration but zero droning on the freeway.

super ugly and no weight reduction, cant belive anyone buys this stuff over fabspeed and soul performance

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Arione posted:

super ugly and no weight reduction, cant belive anyone buys this stuff over fabspeed and soul performance

Maybe it sounds better.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Arione posted:

lol, fabspeed poo poo is literally 5-10x the price, are you loving high

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Arione posted:

Excuse me sir, let me express my view of the aesthetic viability of your mufflers. :laugh:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, fabspeed poo poo is literally 5-10x the price, are you loving high

Literally have 3 cars with full fabspeed systems. 987S, 997,981 Spyder

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Arione posted:

:thumbsup:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
oh no it's cheap and it works!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hey, he didn't offer to do any burnouts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Arione posted:

:bravo:

Like Kimbo said... do a burnout.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Decided to play with my new camera and took some 996 pics.

Played with one of the weird effect filters

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm setting up to personally redo the body and paint of my 996. Wish me luck. Also I need to decide between the original Porsche Yellow or a different color that may also be yellow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I kind of like Porsche yellow. What's the body like?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

slidebite posted:

Decided to play with my new camera and took some 996 pics.

Very clean! I see you also need a three spoke wheel.

Arione posted:

The 996.2 I test drove had Fabspeed exhaust on it. Sounded great. Think it was a little quieter than the partial muffler bypass.

But yeah, no one is checking out my mufflers and I'm not spending extra money on weight reduction. This is a weekend touring car. Besides, I like the idea of trying to stick to OEM-ish parts, where it makes sense.

From last weekend, up in the mountains:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dema posted:

Think it was a little quieter than the partial muffler bypass.

The gundo hack? How does the Fister sound compared to that?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

dema posted:

Very clean! I see you also need a three spoke wheel.

I might be weird but I actually prefer the 993 wheel :shobon:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

slidebite posted:

I kind of like Porsche yellow. What's the body like?

A couple of dings, light scratches, one solid dent the size of a quarter in the hood from something falling on it while parked. The paints starting to flake off and its more a ripe banana yellow which is why I need to redo it.

The other big cosmetic decision is still to get the wheels sandblasted and rechome'd or powdercoated, since I've been pushing that off for two years now. I need to find brake pads that leave less caustic dust.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm setting up to personally redo the body and paint of my 996. Wish me luck. Also I need to decide between the original Porsche Yellow or a different color that may also be yellow.

Re-paint to match OEM yellow then wrap it in Mexico Blue

This is actually what I would do if I were you

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dude called me today about my 996. Sounds very interested and asked all the right questions. I didn't expect to sell it, but if I get my price for it I'll let it go.

We'll see if I am soon to be porchless again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hey guys, so my 987 decided it's not too fond of its coolant and is making a puddle in the parking lot.

I'm inbetween Tacoma/Seattle and Portland, heading south so I'm going to tow it to a shop in Portland, but I don't know which shop. Any recommendations?

I suspect it's either water pump or the hose off the pump that's failed.

E: found a list of repair shops on the PCA:Oregon website and left messages will all of them so hopefully someone calls in the morning and I can get it repaired :fingerscrossed:

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 6, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

well poo poo, that sucks. Let us know what it is.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah that was the US a few years back too. I think he's asking whether the craze is over.

Nice 996 btw.

Talking about the craze being over, RM Sotheby's just had a fairly surprising and disastrous auction.

Apparently On the night 46 of 94 sold of which 22 were no reserve anyway. Of those sold all but 3 were at or around the bottom estimate. A GT2 passed at £650,000 against estimate of £725,000-£850,000.

Some people are saying the correction on insane pricing because of speculators is in full effect, I'm inclined to think it's only just begun and we are going to see cheap 996's like after the big recession again. Maybe £30k F360's etc.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Hey guys, so my 987 decided it's not too fond of its coolant and is making a puddle in the parking lot.

I'm inbetween Tacoma/Seattle and Portland, heading south so I'm going to tow it to a shop in Portland, but I don't know which shop. Any recommendations?

I suspect it's either water pump or the hose off the pump that's failed.

E: found a list of repair shops on the PCA:Oregon website and left messages will all of them so hopefully someone calls in the morning and I can get it repaired :fingerscrossed:

My bet is water pump, had it happen on the tail end of a road trip on my 987, failure of water pump within like 60k miles is not uncommon, just german car things (I mean if youre unlucky, of course)

Ask me about closing out a long road trip by riding in a tow truck for 3 hours at like 2 in the morning

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think he just replaced the waterpump though... although to be fair that might make it more suspect, or possibly a reused hose/line that is cracked a bit or not fitting right.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wrong car, the last boxster suicided its waterpump on the way home from purchase and necessitated a tow that was at the very limit of the max CAA tow distance. This one still has the original pump I believe, I don't remember seeing it in the paperwork as having been changed before I bought it and I didn't touch it. It's in the shop now in Portland so hopefully I'll have a diagnosis soon.

E: it's looking like the pump, they're doing a pressure test to confirm. This is going to be painful on the wallet but at least it's one more maintenance thing off the list...

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 6, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willie_dee posted:

Talking about the craze being over, RM Sotheby's just had a fairly surprising and disastrous auction.

Apparently On the night 46 of 94 sold of which 22 were no reserve anyway. Of those sold all but 3 were at or around the bottom estimate. A GT2 passed at £650,000 against estimate of £725,000-£850,000.

Some people are saying the correction on insane pricing because of speculators is in full effect, I'm inclined to think it's only just begun and we are going to see cheap 996's like after the big recession again. Maybe £30k F360's etc.

:getin:

Every time someone on rennlist struggles to sell the GT3 they ordered and now have to sell (for above sticker), an angel gets its wings.

And I get an erection.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm just hoping 996 GT3s come back to the 40k area.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

thechalkoutline posted:

My bet is water pump, had it happen on the tail end of a road trip on my 987, failure of water pump within like 60k miles is not uncommon, just german car things (I mean if youre unlucky, of course)

Ask me about closing out a long road trip by riding in a tow truck for 3 hours at like 2 in the morning

We have a winner, it was the pump. New pump, belt, coolant, and 5.2 hours of labor and we're back on the road. RIP my wallet.

Running out of time in the day so the shop gave me some coolant and instructions for the final bleed tonight and sent me on my way. Glad to be back up and running same day at least.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How much are you going to lose off your holiday for the little escapade?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not much actually, missed a little bit of the northern coast of Oregon with tide pools and skipped Mt St Helen, still made it to the same end point for the day. Tomorrow is back to regularly scheduled adventure. Car is back to running like a top and all in all we made the most of a crappy situation.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

We have a winner, it was the pump. New pump, belt, coolant, and 5.2 hours of labor and we're back on the road. RIP my wallet.

Running out of time in the day so the shop gave me some coolant and instructions for the final bleed tonight and sent me on my way. Glad to be back up and running same day at least.

Bajaha posted:

Not much actually, missed a little bit of the northern coast of Oregon with tide pools and skipped Mt St Helen, still made it to the same end point for the day. Tomorrow is back to regularly scheduled adventure. Car is back to running like a top and all in all we made the most of a crappy situation.

Nice! Yeah looks like they got you covered but I was gonna say monitor those coolant levels for awhile, I had issues with some bubbles that I had to eventually top off. Esp. since I was on a trip like you so I didn't have my choice of labor quality, though in my case the Carmax warranty ate it.

It's fun to hear about another person road tripping in a 987, I've taken many with my SO and I'm always surprised how long I can sit in that seat given it's not a touring car.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
So the guy who did the top end rebuild in my 82 SC decided to not torque the rocker shafts enough. They're getting taken care of now, but gently caress, man. You removed the valve covers three times and never figured it out? Already had another shop doing work (in another state), so a few hundred bucks isn't worth going after him for, but there's irregular wear on one of the cam lobes that worries me.

Some shops think they can work on the air-cooleds, but maybe just don't.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

So the guy who did the top end rebuild in my 82 SC decided to not torque the rocker shafts enough. They're getting taken care of now, but gently caress, man. You removed the valve covers three times and never figured it out? Already had another shop doing work (in another state), so a few hundred bucks isn't worth going after him for, but there's irregular wear on one of the cam lobes that worries me.

Some shops think they can work on the air-cooleds, but maybe just don't.

Hell yeah, I've had some "5/5" type shops do some really fuckin shoddy work.

I finally found my guy and I asked him how there's so few quality shops given I live in fuckin silicon valley and there are porsches spilling out and he essentially said the insane initial overhead cost of tools creates an impossible barrier of entry that prices most mechanics out of that market. You basically have to already have a lot of working capital (then why are you wrenching for a living) or qualify for a giant loan somehow.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jealous Cow posted:

That’s the plan. It’s getting stage 2 all over with stage 3 in a few spots today. Will get the ceramic coating in a week or two. It’s going into the garage today.

Edit:

After several attempts with buffing and polishing by a professional:

I’m going to go to the dealership. This isn’t normal.

Any updates on this? What'd the dealer say?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got to drive a 991 GT3 on a track this weekend as part of my Bachelor party weekend. I still can't get that noise coming up to 9k out of my head. Sounded incredible.

I didn't really get to push it as much as I get to push my own car, but it felt great. Whenever I've done ride alongs on an autocross track in 997s, you can definitely feel the rear engine/weight, especially when sliding. I felt a lot less of that in the 991 GT3 and I wonder if that's because I wasn't pushing it as hard or because of the 991 generation further tuning out that rearward bias.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 10, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I didn't really get to push it as much as I get to push my own car, but it felt great. Whenever I've done ride alongs on an autocross track in 997s, you can definitely feel the rear engine/weight, especially when sliding. I felt a lot less of that in the 991 GT3 and I wonder if that's because I wasn't pushing it as hard or because of the 991 generation further tuning out that rearward bias.

I bet the latter. It's got a bunch of suspension revision, and the wheelbase is longer.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I haven’t driven a GT3, but the base/S model 991s felt more evenly balanced than 997s. Whether that’s good or bad is up to the individual, but I liked it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

thechalkoutline posted:

Hell yeah, I've had some "5/5" type shops do some really fuckin shoddy work.

I finally found my guy and I asked him how there's so few quality shops given I live in fuckin silicon valley and there are porsches spilling out and he essentially said the insane initial overhead cost of tools creates an impossible barrier of entry that prices most mechanics out of that market. You basically have to already have a lot of working capital (then why are you wrenching for a living) or qualify for a giant loan somehow.

I could see that for the newer models, but when it comes to the air cooled cars the tooling really isn't so bad. It's people with experience that are hard to find I think. Oddly enough the shop that caught this (and fixed the leak!!!!!) had a guy in his early 30s working on it. Combination of passion and good googling is key I guess.

Shop looks like poo poo, though, like a dungeon, but they know their cars.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

Any updates on this? What'd the dealer say?

Dealer said it's "acid rain" and will happen if the car is left with rain water on it for any length of time.

I asked why all their cars that sit outdoors on the lot for weeks at a time are free of these blemishes. No response. I asked why my other black car does not have the same issue. No response.

The service guy offered a free wet sanding of the affected area but said I'd need to show the service manager if I wanted to claim a defect with the paint.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I haven't driven the car much because I think I'm afraid of further damaging the paint. I'll probably do a ceramic coating to try to avoid any further damage to the paint. It's hard to see in the photos, but when you catch the light right you can see big blotches in the shape of pooled water that look deep in the paint.

I'm very disappointed and it kind of turns me off on Porsche as a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jealous Cow posted:

Dealer said it's "acid rain" and will happen if the car is left with rain water on it for any length of time.

I asked why all their cars that sit outdoors on the lot for weeks at a time are free of these blemishes. No response. I asked why my other black car does not have the same issue. No response.

The service guy offered a free wet sanding of the affected area but said I'd need to show the service manager if I wanted to claim a defect with the paint.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I haven't driven the car much because I think I'm afraid of further damaging the paint. I'll probably do a ceramic coating to try to avoid any further damage to the paint. It's hard to see in the photos, but when you catch the light right you can see big blotches in the shape of pooled water that look deep in the paint.

I'm very disappointed and it kind of turns me off on Porsche as a brand.

Rightfully disappointed with that. That is bullshit. I lived in NE Ohio in the '90s, which was right in the main acid rain area and I'm familiar with what that does to the paint... but that problem was solved by most, if not all, manufacturers by the early '00s.

That deserves a call to corporate. Obviously the paint wasn't cured out fully or properly, because that should not happen. Corporate will respond and, if not, they will after going social.