Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Phi230 posted:

I would really like to know how Native Americans could predict hurricanes so well because that sounds cool as hell

According to the source I read it was through "magicks" and "consulting with the Devil" but it didn't go into details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

while learning about how toxic coal ash is...apparently North Carolina has been IMPORTING coal ash from India

NC is awash in tons of coal ash. So why did it OK storing imported ash from India?

quote:

The Council of State on Tuesday approved a two-year warehouse lease with Spartan to store 150,000 tons of fly ash imported from India at the state port in Morehead City.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Phi230 posted:

I would really like to know how Native Americans could predict hurricanes so well because that sounds cool as hell

I don't know about the Native Americans, but in Okinawa 2-3 days before a bad typhoon would hit there would be dragonflies everywhere.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Agean90 posted:

I hope the hurricane increases to a category 6 where it significantly alters the geography of the place it makes landfall

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

According to the source I read it was through "magicks" and "consulting with the Devil" but it didn't go into details

Hell yeah, hail weatherman satan

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

I don't know about the Native Americans, but in Okinawa 2-3 days before a bad typhoon would hit there would be dragonflies everywhere.
cool, cool

quote:

Dragonflies are more active this summer. Blame it on the rain

Have you noticed a lot of dragonflies skimming over ponds, creeks, yards and even parking lots? They seem to be more active than usual this summer, and weather is playing a role in their behavior.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.217359f50ee1

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have noticed more dragonflies than usual working outside the last few weeks

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I saw 2 dragonflies ram into eachother and one of the dragonflies seemingly fell dead but got up and flew away

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Sep 11, 2018

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
brunswick county is a shithole and is going to be completely owned

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Like, it's an island (Okinawa) and I was only there for a year so I can't say if the population was changing year to year. But normally you'd see one or two a day, and then right before a cat 3+ typhoon would hit (usually 2 days before it started really storming) you'd see like 20 flying all over the place.

Edit: And a couple times it stormed bad enough to breach levies in Sacramento, and every time it did that the morning before the storm hit a bunch of birds would take off in like a massive line from where they bedded down from the night flying in front of the storm trying to get away.

Crakkerjakk has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Sep 11, 2018

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

loving stoked for our new radioactive coal ash state “slurry of pig shitia” formerly known as North Carolina

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
looking forward to the overflow from pig shitia annihilating the lush watercourses of south carolina, destroying some of my favorite natural areas

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

lol at mandatory evacuation in virginia and South carolina only

it's handled at the county level in nc and they've all issued it

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/owlwoman911_/status/1039291315026980864

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Lokar posted:

while learning about how toxic coal ash is...apparently North Carolina has been IMPORTING coal ash from India

NC is awash in tons of coal ash. So why did it OK storing imported ash from India?

it's actually processed coal ash used to make concrete that they're importing, because nobody's processing the local poison piles for some reason (i'm guessing it's mostly to own the libs since apparently it's financially viable to have the stuff shipped in from the other side of the planet)

quote:

Lightweight fly ash is also a coveted ingredient in making concrete, a more durable replacement for Portland cement at half the cost. But North Carolina concrete producers say they can’t get enough ash.

After years of complaints, state legislators ordered Duke to build three facilities that would process ash into a form that could be used in concrete. Last month Duke announced the last of those facilities, which will be built at power plants in Salisbury, Goldsboro and Moncure.

State law requires the three facilities, which will start operating in 2019 to 2020, to process 900,000 tons of ash a year from Duke’s basins. The Charlotte-based Carolinas Ready Mixed Concrete Association estimates North Carolina concrete makers needed about 959,000 tons last year, far more than they got.

quote:

North Carolina is not the first state to face the irony of importing coal ash as it grapples with disposing of the industrial waste.

Shipping containers of ash from China, Poland and India have come into Virginia, the Associated Press reported, as foreign companies find U.S. markets. Critics want Virginia to require more recycling of ash.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Duscat posted:

it's actually processed coal ash used to make concrete that they're importing, because nobody's processing the local poison piles for some reason (i'm guessing it's mostly to own the libs since apparently it's financially viable to have the stuff shipped in from the other side of the planet)

This is literally some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever heard of. Lock them up

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

might actually be getting the gently caress out

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

triple sulk posted:

Stay safe

twoday
May 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

do you wanna be on the “check later if you’re dead list”?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

just put towels under the glass doors, you'll be fine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think the nightmare scenario imo is everyone bugging tf out for flo, it not being that big a deal except in a few low lying coastal areas, and then everyone getting murdered by the next one that comes along when they decide that this time they'll just ride it out

twoday
May 4, 2005

I turned on Twitter notifications for that hurricane autist, and he’s really freaking me out

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1039274883291799554

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Feranon posted:

cmon, no one would let that poo poo happen again after fukushima--

:piaa:

I am prepared to defend my position that nuclear power could be an alternative to fossil fuels in a perfect world, but also that humanity cannot be trusted with nuclear loving anything

triple sulk posted:

more like triple succ. Who is going to be the goon proxy we all hope is killed so that we can vicariously live our collective dream to die

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Al! posted:

i think the nightmare scenario imo is everyone bugging tf out for flo, it not being that big a deal except in a few low lying coastal areas, and then everyone getting murdered by the next one that comes along when they decide that this time they'll just ride it out

Didn't that already happen

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Duscat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Hmc7eeXjw

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

triple sulk posted:

i'm thinking of going to Knoxville for a while myself

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1039301828972818433

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ice cool atlantic dick plunging ahead into the warmest wettest pocket yet

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/1039301828972818433?s=21

quote:

Researchers from Colorado State University’s Department of Atmospheric Science said in July that “much colder than normal” temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean could stunt the growth of developing storms.

In contrast, ocean temperatures off the North Carolina coast have reached record highs. On July 9, Wrightsville Beach in the southeastern part of the state recorded its highest temperature “since water temperatures were first charted in 2004,” according to WECT, a local news station. Along Florence’s path, sea surface temperatures “all the way to the Carolinas are running anywhere from half a degree to even 2 degrees Celsius above normal,” Humphrey said.

Hurricane Florence Could Be the Most Powerful Storm to Hit the East Coast in 14 Years

luv the apocalypse

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lokar posted:

luv the apocalypse

man maybe the west coast big one will hit at the same time, we're long overdue

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

twoday posted:

I turned on Twitter notifications for that hurricane autist, and he’s really freaking me out

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1039274883291799554

with hurricanes, its always better to prepare for the worst case scenario, something republicans don't do because funding

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

its gonna be a cat 5, warm waters = more power

good luck anyone in the warpath

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
please goons, don't shoot at the hurricane. it only makes it angrier

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

neutral milf hotel posted:

please goons, don't shoot at the hurricane. it only makes it angrier

don't listen to this poster, empty all your ammo into florence so that our lady of death may have more shrapnel with which to carry out her duties

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Currently aiming my balls skyward and praying for the sweet release of death.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Random articles from around post-Fukushima time frame do not inspire confidence how well NC/SC are prepped for handling a long, significant flood so...

Prooooooobably good idea to evac all the project flood areas on top of the coasts.

Edit: Like, lol one of those nuke symbols on the north-west corner of SC surrounded by yellow/orange flooding projections is Duke Energy Ocanee, which one story mentioned some of their flood pumps don't work because they don't have the right plugs. That's some poo poo right there.

Isizzlehorn has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Sep 11, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

morally adept posted:

Currently aiming my balls skyward and praying for the sweet release of death.

jizz into the wind

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
the fukushima poo poo was wild, i remember seeing this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haUawwm7l4k

which was the second or third reactor to blow up, and in the comments some nuclear power shill was explaining how it wasn't a NUCLEAR explosion so everything was fine, it was just a "brief" hydrogen explosion

so yeah, stay safe brief non-nuclear explosion ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Phi230 posted:

not being easily-distracted idiots, i assume