Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Icago/Express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anyone here try out Starship Samurai? I remember before it was released there wasn't much info on it other than "Oh it's going to be about honor, but in space, with mechs" but idk how the final game turned out and it's one of the daily sales at CSI, and I know sometimes they put sales on stuff they're overstocked with because nobody wants to buy it. Just wondering where Starship Samurai falls on the good/bad spectrum.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Shut Up and Sit Down love Dead of Winter by the same guy, but you can hear them trashing it on a podcast.

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcastle/podcast-80-until-the-sheep-goes-berp/

About the twenty eight minute mark.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

El Fideo posted:

Shut Up and Sit Down love Dead of Winter by the same guy, but you can hear them trashing it on a podcast.

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcastle/podcast-80-until-the-sheep-goes-berp/

About the twenty eight minute mark.

Those guys are wrong as often as they're right though.

Best bet: Don't buy Isaac Vega games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I haven’t heard a single person say anything positive about Starship Samurai.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I haven’t heard a single person say anything positive about Starship Samurai.

That's not true, the minis are beautiful :discourse:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

El Fideo posted:

Yeah but dead of winter is incredibly bad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hoiyes posted:

That's not true, the minis are beautiful :discourse:

This usually seems to be detrimental to a boardgame.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Straight White Shark posted:

This usually seems to be detrimental to a boardgame.

A not unfair stereotype, for sure. I also haven't heard anything about Starship Samurai, which probably means the game play is forgettable or at best too similar to something else that no one is clamoring to add it to their libraries any time soon.
But there's definitely exceptions. It wasn't widely loved here on SA, but I'm a huge fan of Rising Sun, despite having not really loved anything else CMON has done in similar fashion. I had no interest in it at all until playing a friend's KS copy, and was really impressed. 5 or 6 plays in now, and continuing to enjoy it immensely.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rising Sun, Blood Rage, Arcadia Quest are easily CMON's best games. I've heard good things on the pirate MOBA, but I've never played.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

Rising Sun, Blood Rage, Arcadia Quest are easily CMON's best games.

CMON's best games are Dogs of War, Guilds of Cadwallon and Ethnos by a very wide margin.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CMON's best games are definitely modern art and the grizzled. MA is only overshadowed by the much superior korean dice tree production.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

CMON's best games are Masmorra and Lorenzo. I admit they are not as good as some similar games by other companies, but they certainly have some charm that drives me back to play them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

CMON's best games are Dogs of War, Guilds of Cadwallon and Ethnos by a very wide margin.

Replace Ethnos with Council of Four and you would be correct, sir.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

CMON's best games are definitely modern art

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

MA is only overshadowed by the much superior korean dice tree production.

oink games version is in 2nd place but CMON may be 3rd best.

reasons: better art and a scaffold component

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
My GF and I really like Unfair and I have heard a lot of praise outside this thread for Rising Sun, which I backed and have sitting on a shelf because I have problems.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm scheduled to play 1857 on Saturday. I've only played 1846, though I've read the 1830 rulebook. What am I in for?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

CommonShore posted:

I'm scheduled to play 1857 on Saturday. I've only played 1846, though I've read the 1830 rulebook. What am I in for?

The train rush will be way faster than what you’ve seen and if you’re playing with more than 4 someone is going to go bankrupt.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you for the info on Starship Samurai :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FirstAidKite posted:

Thank you for the info on Starship Samurai :)

If you don't care about the minis but still like the theme, I would recommend the robotech force of arms game. It's all cards but you could use minis instead of tokens if you're so inclined.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

silvergoose posted:

Yeah but dead of winter is incredibly bad.

Dead of Winter is one of those games where, if I had nothing else to play and wanted to hang out with friends, I'd play it. Because it doesn't matter, you chuck dice, you die, gently caress it. You can bullshit over beers about the dog that fuckin' destroyed a group of zombies while scrounging for weaponry and maybe at the end someone betrays you and you all lose. As long as I go into the game expecting nothing more than bullshit, I'm fine with it. No need to think, strategize, plan, or anything. See also: Betrayal.

That said, if I have literally anything else to play and the time to play it, I'd rather do that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Dead of Winter is one of those games where, if I had nothing else to play and wanted to hang out with friends, I'd play it. Because it doesn't matter, you chuck dice, you die, gently caress it. You can bullshit over beers about the dog that fuckin' destroyed a group of zombies while scrounging for weaponry and maybe at the end someone betrays you and you all lose. As long as I go into the game expecting nothing more than bullshit, I'm fine with it. No need to think, strategize, plan, or anything. See also: Betrayal.

That said, if I have literally anything else to play and the time to play it, I'd rather do that.

Fidget spinners are much less expensive if your goal is "have something completely brainless to do with my hands while I drink with friends"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

homullus posted:

Fidget spinners are much less expensive if your goal is "have something completely brainless to do with my hands while I drink with friends"

Yeah but it's not the same - it's like playing a video game while chatting with people. Most of the time it doesn't matter what the video game is, usually it's bad. But it's just something to occupy your time while you chat. Nothing cerebral, or you're just poring over the board silently while trying to think.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Yeah but it's not the same - it's like playing a video game while chatting with people. Most of the time it doesn't matter what the video game is, usually it's bad. But it's just something to occupy your time while you chat. Nothing cerebral, or you're just poring over the board silently while trying to think.

Ok, I guess "must be doing something else while talking to people" is a thing I don't have that other people do have.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

homullus posted:

Ok, I guess "must be doing something else while talking to people" is a thing I don't have that other people do have.

It’s very socially expected to do something while conversating. “Do you want to come over and do nothing but talk” is a bit of a tough sell for most people because we have phones for that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

homullus posted:

I have that but the "something else" can be "using my phone", "playing a 2 player abstract", or anything other than DoW. It's on my shitlist including munchkin, cah, evil baby orphanage, games that I will refuse to play despite people wanting everyone to play the same game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Papes posted:

It’s very socially expected to do something while conversating. “Do you want to come over and do nothing but talk” is a bit of a tough sell for most people because we have phones for that.

"Do you want to come over and we'll just fiddle with our phones while chatting idly" is absolutely a thing people do though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Have you really never met up with a friend just to hang out?

Anyway, food is usually the best excuse for that sort of thing. Meet up, have lunch or dinner or whatever, then just hang around talking and stuff until someone needs to go home.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone participating in the same activity, interacting and reacting through that, is part of it too. Yes, just hanging out is a thing, but doing something together adds to/changes the experience somewhat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Everyone participating in the same activity, interacting and reacting through that, is part of it too. Yes, just hanging out is a thing, but doing something together adds to/changes the experience somewhat.

Agreed, and dead of winter makes it actively worse than doing nothing.

In my opinion, if that wasn't clear.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Met up with another couple Friday. We were going to play board games instead we just talked.

And drank. Drinking is an activity.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This is the gooniest conversation.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dead of Winter requires more setup and more paying attention than typical party games with bare minimum setup and rules explanations. I think deep sea adventure and fake artist have made a bunch of games obsolete for my group, even above games like Dixit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Someone mentioned Munchkin and it reminded me that at some point in my game-induced haze over the past week I noticed that there was a sign over a box of boosters for the Munchkin CCG to the effect of "due to a printing error many of these packs contain far too many rares, but some contain none at all" and it was the most Munchkinesque thing I've ever pondered.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If cmons best game includes ethnos then lord help em.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

silvergoose posted:

Agreed, and dead of winter makes it actively worse than doing nothing.

In my opinion, if that wasn't clear.

Oh, sure; I haven't played Dead if Winter so I can't comment on it specifically, I was just getting into the general topic of "why play a game at all instead of having everyone mess around with their phones or something in each other's general proximity". That can be fun too, but it's different from playing a game together.

Chill la Chill posted:

Dead of Winter requires more setup and more paying attention than typical party games with bare minimum setup and rules explanations. I think deep sea adventure and fake artist have made a bunch of games obsolete for my group, even above games like Dixit.

Yeah, I'd pull out Skull (great drinking game/game to play while drinking too apparently), Love Letter, Carcassonne, Sushi Go, or many other things before something like that as a party game. The big stuff is for, like, dedicated game nights or something.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 11, 2018

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

luv 2 get angry at bad design while hangin with my friends

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mr. Squishy posted:

If cmons best game includes ethnos then lord help em.

Ethnos is solid, you crazy.

In other news, Eggertspiele has officially announced their new version of Camel Up with a graphic overhaul, new components (the pyramid is plastic now), and thanks to it we can finally tell all you 'Cup' believers to gtfo :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Merauder posted:

Ethnos is solid, you crazy.

In other news, Eggertspiele has officially announced their new version of Camel Up with a graphic overhaul, new components (the pyramid is plastic now), and thanks to it we can finally tell all you 'Cup' believers to gtfo :colbert:

Worst redesign ever. Utter trash. 0/10.