Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A colonist got into a fight at a wedding ceremony with a guest over the guest venting about aiding the downtrodden. The guest, who was Tough, started a social fight and knocked the colonist (Glass) the gently caress out. Glass is:

A) Not Compassionate
B) Very Aggressive
C) Not Polite (at all -- his lowest trait)

The guest was Extremely Compassionate, and took a -160 opinion hit against Glass after their long wedding argument, which ended when he sucker punched Glass and sent him to the hospital. I can only imagine what Glass said to him, rude selfish rear end in a top hat that he is, to piss him off that much. He only got a corresponding -37 from that conversation. That was incredibly entertaining to look into after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Warmachine posted:

It's every citizen's final duty to return to the vats.

So good.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

A colonist got into a fight at a wedding ceremony with a guest over the guest venting about aiding the downtrodden. The guest, who was Tough, started a social fight and knocked the colonist (Glass) the gently caress out. Glass is:

A) Not Compassionate
B) Very Aggressive
C) Not Polite (at all -- his lowest trait)

The guest was Extremely Compassionate, and took a -160 opinion hit against Glass after their long wedding argument, which ended when he sucker punched Glass and sent him to the hospital. I can only imagine what Glass said to him, rude selfish rear end in a top hat that he is, to piss him off that much. He only got a corresponding -37 from that conversation. That was incredibly entertaining to look into after the fact.

I imagine this was a KKK vs. Mister Rogers kind of scenario. The guest has a very long fuse, but god forbid you find the end of it. Turns out the end is something about laying down in the street to die.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

They changed the prisoner recruit tab. What's the new equivalent of chat and recruit?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LLSix posted:

They changed the prisoner recruit tab. What's the new equivalent of chat and recruit?

Just "Recruit." Prisoners now have a "resistance" stat that has to be worn through before recruitment attempts can be made. Recruit will automatically try to remove resistance if there is any left. The good news is is that it is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to get them to join once resistance has been removed.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Some of those are Psychology breaks (inspired by the More Mental Breaks mod by twoski). The "fell plotting" one is great, it can really catch you off guard if you're not paying attention.

A lot of the Psychology breaks made it into the vanilla game then, because I've never used Psychology.

I noticed that 3 times already I've gotten the "rescue prisoner" quest, and all 3 times its been the guy I banished. Apparently nobody else likes him either.

Is there any situation where batteries are actually necessary once you have a couple geothermal generators and a lifetime supply of chemfuel? It seems like the only thing that would take out my power are solar flares and batteries don't even help for that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Moose posted:

Is there any situation where batteries are actually necessary once you have a couple geothermal generators and a lifetime supply of chemfuel? It seems like the only thing that would take out my power are solar flares and batteries don't even help for that.

Ehhh. Geothermal tends to not be all clustered together nicely. So a fire or explosion can take out sections of conduit and leave parts of your network orphaned. In that case having a few batteries will give you buffer time to rebuild or at least turn off unnecessary things before your freezers start failing. There are also various things that can take out one of your geothermal plants forcing you to rebuild. If this happens to happen when you are low on components or during a rino manhunter herd event you may be in for a bad time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They're also great if you use sun lamps a lot. Sometimes even solar panels wont quite make up the difference but at night the batteries can recharge enough that your grid is uninterrupted during the day.

I make a lot of mountain fortresses with underground farms :frog:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Any mods that are mostly just QOL and won't revamp anything too much that will detract from a vanilla experience?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

Any mods that are mostly just QOL and won't revamp anything too much that will detract from a vanilla experience?

Defensive Positions, Better Colonist Control, Set Up Camp

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I tend to view chemfuel as being the long term preferred alternative to batteries, but it's more fiddly. You convert trees to fuel stores and then run that when you're short, but a couple of batteries can help even out short term fluctuations in power usage yeah. I find them more useful for wind generators honestly because solar is consistent, wind is not.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I tend to view chemfuel as being the long term preferred alternative to batteries, but it's more fiddly. You convert trees to fuel stores and then run that when you're short, but a couple of batteries can help even out short term fluctuations in power usage yeah. I find them more useful for wind generators honestly because solar is consistent, wind is not.

And now they have water generators which are pretty great, low output but costs nothing once you build it.

Edit: Welp, another colony lost to bugs... I have no idea if this is supposed to be survivable or I just handled it wrong. They give you a little warning before they come up, but since armor takes a year and a half to put on, its kind of worthless trying to put it on in response to threats. I'm on Randy Rough so maybe I'm just supposed to get hit with un-survivable bullshit every now and then. It seems like according to Tynan's Very Specific Vision, building underground is Not Allowed.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 11, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

A Moose posted:

And now they have water generators which are pretty great, low output but costs nothing once you build it.

Edit: Welp, another colony lost to bugs... I have no idea if this is supposed to be survivable or I just handled it wrong. They give you a little warning before they come up, but since armor takes a year and a half to put on, its kind of worthless trying to put it on in response to threats. I'm on Randy Rough so maybe I'm just supposed to get hit with un-survivable bullshit every now and then. It seems like according to Tynan's Very Specific Vision, building underground is Not Allowed.

Unless you disable infestations in the scenario designer :science:

Edit: can you not make marble floors anymore? I see the option for sandstone floors, but no marble ones.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 11, 2018

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

OwlFancier posted:

I still haven't gotten used to the idea that shelves are general storage now, I played too much when they were just for guns.
I made a bugfix mod called Shelves Not Stools that lets you use them for crafting stations. I haven't uploaded it yet.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36798.0

Just today Tynan noticed my bug report thread. It seems he didn't know about the crafting stools trick...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LLSix posted:

Edit: can you not make marble floors anymore? I see the option for sandstone floors, but no marble ones.

do you have marble on the map?

also: a battery or two is also worth keeping around for pop-up power. they can be reinstalled to provide power quickly. i use it when responding to psi or poison ship fragments; build a stone bunker, install turrets facing the ship, install a battery behind the bunker, get your colonists in position, have one of them kick off the ship. mechanoids will focus the turrets. go nuts.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Well then... Must have liked what they found.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A Moose posted:

I'm 4 years into an underground base on randy rough, and have had 5 infestations that I cleaned up with minimal injury. I set my place up so that my residential wing extends in a hallway deeper into the mountain, and the bugs always come in from there; since my people are usually working elsewhere, the bugs fart around a bit while I arm everyone and then now them down in the hallway.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

LLSix posted:

Stone tile was changed to a single button that you change the material of, instead of an individual button for each type.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Moose posted:

I would suggest you aren't building correctly underground.

(bit untidy because I'm building around caves and the river)

First off, don't make one tile wide corridors, that makes your pawns claustrophobic, makes them harder to move past each other if they run into each other, and makes it drat near impossible to fight in. Corridors should be three wide I would say at least, this gives you plenty of room to form gun lines against intruders and also gives you plenty of space to set up defences if you need to, you can plop down sandbags etc if you know an attack is likely to breach the outer defences.

You also want multiple routes between areas where possible and at least two exits from the mountain, you don't want to be stuck inside because something blocked the only exit out. Combine this with lots of doors and what you're essentially building is a network of routes that only your colonists can use, because enemies have to break down doors before they can get through them. Your guys are free to move around and flank people and retreat through doors when the enemy gets too close or sets up to shoot back.

Try to put rooms inside networks of corridors as well, and consider multiple entrances to those rooms too if practical, it can be much easier to attack a room from two doors at once.

Basically you want to have plenty of room underground but also try to compartmentalize it as much as you can so that you can control where fights happen and contain enemies inside rooms long enough to choose where you fight them. Long straight corridors are particularly good against bugs because you can gun them down from long range and retreat through doors before they get close.

The claustrophobic hellburrow you built would actually work quite well against an attack armed with guns if you gave all your dudes melee weapons, but that's the opposite of how you want to deal with bugs. They're going to spawn under mountains so you really want to make your underground bases full of long straight corridors so you can shoot them easily. If you make cramped and winding corridors everywhere they will be really hard to attack because they'll be able to get very close before you can shoot them.

I'd definitely say that armour is probably worse than useless against bugs because what it mostly does it slow you down and let them get close to you. You want to skirmish with bugs because they can't hurt you unless they catch you. It's 100% about the range advantage when fighting bugs, you want massed amounts of firepower and as fast movement as possible, use doors to slow them down while you reposition.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 11, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A Moose posted:

Put your armor in a place where the bugs won't be, and give it to your melee folks. Then funnel the bugs into a kill zone. My problems with your setup are largely that you have no functional kill zones. 2-3 wide hallways blocked by dudes with maces, backed up by dudes with shotguns/rapid fire weapons. If you're feeling saucy, give someone an incinerator and target it just behind the front line. Give the melee guys full plate. Don't be afraid to splurge on the poo poo. Anything that can turn a sharp wound into a crush wound is your friend, because blood loss is not your friend.

edit, because I sat on this for two hours while playing Rimworld: Basically what Owl said. You want to turn your underground base into a rabbit warren, and run your pawns in circles around anything dumb enough to come inside. Think secret passages, multiple fallback points, ask yourself where your pawns would gather in an emergency.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 11, 2018

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Ashsaber posted:

All your mods are gone? Check if you're in offline mode, since if it can't connect to the server it doesn't recognize your mods exist. If that doesn't work, you can copy the mods from your steam workshop folder and paste them in the /Rimworld/mods folder, and then you can use them from that folder instead.

Thanks again for this tip, I tried everything including a reinstall, and only manually copying from steams folder to the manual one worked.

Not sure why after years, this stopped working.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

OwlFancier posted:

I like to have both on hand just because the game likes to go wrong in pretty catastrophic ways. Batteries get you through minor inconveniences. The chemfuel generator is for when a poison ship crashes directly into your solar farm during a toxic fallout, the dining room is on fire somehow, and you need to keep those sunlamps on or the colony starves.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For underground areas you can also set up fire traps in advance (not necessarily incendiary traps). Some power conduit or wooden floors, wooden walls, wooden furniture, carpets, etc., and then you kick it off with a guy with Molotovs or an incendiary launcher.

- They will try to dig their way out when the temperature gets dangerous. You can try to get your guys around to where they'll have a good field of fire wherever the bugs bust out. The bugs will run through fire to escape the heat, so hopefully the burns and heatstroke will soften them up a bit even if it doesn't kill them. Keep an eye on downed bugs though, they can be downed due to heatstroke damage and get up at full strength as soon as that wears off.

- Doors are weird. An open door still preserves the space as a discrete room and slows down the speed of heat transfer. So if you are planning on using heatstroke as a weapon in can be handy to have stone doors locked open to preserve room integrity if the functional doors are broken down or burned. Otherwise if the bugs batter down an outside door the room instantly becomes part of "outside" and the temperature drops to the outside temp. If you later want a super-heated area to become part of Outside so it cools down fast just disassemble or destroy the open door.

- The fire will get out of hand sometimes, especially if you have all wood/carpet floors. You can try to set up firebreaks where you have nothing flammable for at least 5 spaces so sparks can't spread, but if the air gets hot enough underground it will start things in the next room on fire. So, uh, when you rebuild after accidentally burning a whole wing of the place, rebuild with stone furniture to make future cleanups easier. This really sucks when it takes out your hydroponics or workshops. It may be worthwhile in an undermountain fort have each sunlamp in it's own discrete stone-walled room if you have several of them -- it's more effort to set up than a single large farm room, but reduces the chance that all your crops will be infested by bugs and/or destroyed by fire.

- Fire and super-heated air may or may not also take out the bodies, hives and piles of insect jelly. So the fire takes care of your insect problem but you lose the meager rewards.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

A Moose posted:

I grabbed the RePower mod, which gives an idle/active power drain for most crafting and interactive items, and my battery reserves are there for when my crafting stations are in use between harvests. It changes things like the tailoring bench to have like a 10W draw when idle, but something like 500W in use. It actually makes having energy storage somewhat useful.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Infestations won't spawn in rooms -17 C or colder, so you can try going with ice instead of fire. This means everyone has to live in parkas to sleep in their icy rooms, which isn't great. And obviously plants can't survive at that temperature, so either you don't have any hydroponics undermountain, or the bugs will spawn there every time if that is the only room warm enough to spawn in.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Any tips for trying to grow cocoa trees in the tundra? The growing season tends to be short enough that I have to harvest my trees early. Not being able to roof their growing area seems to mean that I'll just have to live with force harvesting every year before fall ends.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

This might be why there are no tundra cocoa farms.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just a heads up, stone furniture is considerably less comfortable than wood.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's typically less beautiful as well.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Marble does outpace wood for beauty and market value, but there's no way to avoid the rest and comfort penalties if you want to be absolutely sure nothing in your base is flammable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it does for art! but typically not furniture, weirdly. chess tables, for example, normalize at 8 beauty for wood but only 5 for marble.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Can I make a new settlement with nothing but a prison made of hospital beds and monitors and a freezer, and staff it with my psychopath doctor, and just launch prisoners over there to harvest their organs and avoid mood penalties?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

This might be why there are no tundra cocoa farms.
An astute observation, but literally every other crop is farm-able in a greenhouse in that climate with the exception of cocoa; even other trees. I'd be fine with a blanket exception to any trees, not being able to grow cocoa trees indoors but oak trees being A-OK is a bit silly.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

NatasDog posted:

An astute observation, but literally every other crop is farm-able in a greenhouse in that climate with the exception of cocoa; even other trees. I'd be fine with a blanket exception to any trees, not being able to grow cocoa trees indoors but oak trees being A-OK is a bit silly.

I get a "you can't build a roof on oak trees" thing when I try to roof them in, but I've not tried planting after building a roof. I've not tried doing anything with cocoa indoors, or really cocoa in general. Mostly I do smokeleaf.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
This blight can gently caress off. At least give us some pesticide or something to prevent it bc this is loving tedious and far too common now. I like the idea of it but it needs a way to mitigate or prevent it. If you could select all that would probably be fine too.

Also kind of bugs me that a pyro can start a fire at will but you cant order pawns to burn things.

E: hell that would give pyros some use if they could be ordered to start fires i would risk taking them along.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The allow tool mod includes an extension to the cut plants too to blanket select every blighted plant on the map. You might have to use it multiple times though, since it only designates blighted plants at the time you give the order.

You can mitigate some of the harm by building walls to separate your fields, since Tynan apparently still believes that cross-species blights are a good gameplay idea.

Really, it's kind of dumb that clearing blighted plants isn't an automatic part of the growing task.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 11, 2018

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

I get a "you can't build a roof on oak trees" thing when I try to roof them in, but I've not tried planting after building a roof. I've not tried doing anything with cocoa indoors, or really cocoa in general. Mostly I do smokeleaf.
Apparently that's a recent development as well. I haven't gotten to enclosing my tree farm in A19.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Can I make a new settlement with nothing but a prison made of hospital beds and monitors and a freezer, and staff it with my psychopath doctor, and just launch prisoners over there to harvest their organs and avoid mood penalties?

I imagine you could.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Keeshhound posted:

The allow tool mod includes an extension to the cut plants too to blanket select every blighted plant on the map. You might have to use it multiple times though, since it only designates blighted plants at the time you give the order.

You can mitigate some of the harm by building walls to separate your fields, since Tynan apparently still believes that cross-species blights are a good gameplay idea.

Really, it's kind of dumb that clearing blighted plants isn't an automatic part of the growing task.

If you wall in a field how much longer does it take to grow generally? And it may just be luck but it seems like it always hits before i get my first crop in.

Automatic would be better yeah, i dont mind the loss of food or time lost. Mods fix it but im trying vanilla until 1.0 is out and its probably the most annoying thing that pops up vanilla right now. Theres a lot of little things that could still be done but as far as quality of life goes vanilla is massively improved since i last played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DogonCrook posted:

If you wall in a field how much longer does it take to grow generally? And it may just be luck but it seems like it always hits before i get my first crop in.

Walls don't change growing time, as long as you're providing light by either leaving the roof off or using sun lamps. Actually, sun lamps probably give slightly faster growing times since the light doesn't brighten and dim incrementally. The only issue is the time spent by your growers moving through doors.

But if you do split your growing zones into relatively the same amount of space in individual walled off sections, you should only get a blight in one zone, unless Randy is feeling spicy. I'm not sure what the mtb on blights is.