Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
so is painting my house, not real convincing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
I played dead by daylight the other day for the first time and had a good time. I haven’t gotten a chance to try f13 yet

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation

John Romero posted:

I played dead by daylight the other day for the first time and had a good time. I haven’t gotten a chance to try f13 yet

update: played and liked but the baby woke up in the middle of a match and i had to bail

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want to go to a convention cosplaying as Michael Myers and carry around a missing poster with Jason's face on it. Mike's getting a grand reboot with the old cast and creators, meanwhile Jason's copyrights are so hosed up he's not allowed to be in his own game :smith:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

I want to go to a convention cosplaying as Michael Myers and carry around a missing poster with Jason's face on it. Mike's getting a grand reboot with the old cast and creators, meanwhile Jason's copyrights are so hosed up he's not allowed to be in his own game :smith:

That's a p great idea if you could handle the depression of the reality it speaks of

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

And then he shoots her

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I dunno I don’t mean to poo poo on things people like, I just honestly didn’t find it enjoyable.

F13 (RIP) had so many more in-game and endgame possibilities.

Then again my friends won’t play anything that isn’t a first person shooter with me so maybe that’s why. Still found F13 enjoyable flying solo. Also I can’t read boring college text books waiting for the next round, an underrated feature of F13.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation

Danaru posted:

uh, he didnt just say what i think he did, did he???

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
??? Which part?

New Halloween is out Oct 18th

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
F13 is still good despite the lawsuit killing the future of it.

Dead by Daylight doesn't have any excuses for sucking so much.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I can’t speak for PC but every match I’ve played on PS3 recently has ended with the host quitting for no apparent reason 10-15 minutes into the match.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm blown away that dbd has stuck to their idiotic conceit for win conditions even with all the dlc that adds characters it makes zero sense for and never tried to get in on what made f13 such a great experience.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
This might make me sound like a sick gently caress, and I'll not argue the point, but I dislike DbD because you don't kill anyone. You smack some kids around and they fall over and then they're taken away by a giant sky spider. It just feels so much more satisfying to grab some little punk and then eviscerate them in a bizarre and weird way. :allears:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah I see your point, the deaths are pretty good in F13, I really liked watching a dude play through the single player and get all the special kills.

I like both, but I prefer watching F13 and playing DBD. F13 is goofier, but the drawn out chases in DBD is fun and very much like a horror film ending sequence run.

It's a shame you apparently have to like one and hate the other though :rolleyes:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Drunken Baker posted:

This might make me sound like a sick gently caress, and I'll not argue the point, but I dislike DbD because you don't kill anyone. You smack some kids around and they fall over and then they're taken away by a giant sky spider. It just feels so much more satisfying to grab some little punk and then eviscerate them in a bizarre and weird way. :allears:

Kids being pulled into the sky by a giant spider would be cooler if the kids weren't tanks! For some reason they operate on the L4D style of 3 downs and you're out and it takes 2 hits before you're on the ground so the amount of punishment one player can take is frankly a little rediclous.

Granted F13 that problem for a bit when Thick Skin was super overpowered, although grabs got around that problem pretty well most of the time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Lorewise, it's because the entity feeds off crushing their hope, so it has to dangle the possibility of escape in front of their faces to keep them motivated. It's also why the entity starts real slow the first time you're on the hook, but the third time it just boops out your organs and beams you up :v: Jason isnt loving around though so he can just biff people into the fireplace

The Entity is actually really loving cool storywise but nobody reads that chuff but me :saddowns:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My favorite part of DbD was reading all the chuff, actually.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The random fluff is really cool, yeah

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

dogstile posted:

It's a shame you apparently have to like one and hate the other though :rolleyes:

I WANT to like Dead by Daylight. I want to like it so much that I'd buy all the DLC. How great is it that there's a game out there where you can play all these great movie villains. It just does nothing for me.

I wonder if instead of downing and sacrificing the kids there were "execution spots" instead? Pure fantasy talk here, obviously, because it'd need re-balancing to gently caress. But instead of hooking the victim you down them and take them to where the hooks were and then you murder them horribly. Don't want to get too "fan-fic" or anything, but I've got images in my head of Pighead fixing SAW traps to the victim's heads and letting them run off whereupon a timer counts down before their heads are bisected or Freddy dragging them into a small nightmare arena for some weird and wonderful executions.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
At the very least, the pighead thing is in the game.

Freddie was boring and i wish they did more with him instead of "its a bit foggy" and "he's invisible". I'd loving love it if he could turn a chest into a mimic or something.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I have no qualms with DbD and am glad people enjoy it. I would have played more but the community was so goddamn toxic.

"How DARE you kill me in this game about killing! Get gud!"

-Someone after hook 3 when they were wasting time teabagging after every window / pallet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I have no qualms with DbD and am glad people enjoy it. I would have played more but the community was so goddamn toxic.

"How DARE you kill me in this game about killing! Get gud!"

-Someone after hook 3 when they were wasting time teabagging after every window / pallet.

Honestly that makes it more fun for me.

It's like people who DC when Jason throws them through a window in F13. It's a game about being killed, so much salt, I wonder how these people function.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Eh, at least you still get kill credit when they pull poo poo like that. I mean, they still do it but it's entirely fruitless and even more petty now.

Window kills is making me think of a thing that trolls used to love to do, which was trying to kill themselves on broken windows to steal a kill. OnceI chased some YouTuber who was playing Tiffany for like five minutes straight, eventually they decided to try and kill themselves on a broken window to spite me. But I grabbed them finally and when I went for the kill they DC'd and this was before they added that patch to fix not getting kill credit.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

dogstile posted:

Honestly that makes it more fun for me.

It's like people who DC when Jason throws them through a window in F13. It's a game about being killed, so much salt, I wonder how these people function.

The only time I ever get pissed off is when there's lag or some sort of bug which got in the way of whatever I was trying to do.

Losing because someone outplayed you is a good thing, because it makes you better. If you never lose, you're never getting better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sorry about my DBD post I was just grumpy. I also wish I could like DBD but I don't, and it saddens me to see people endlessly bring up that game any time the F13 devs post anything. They're different games, we don't need this tribalism.

King Vidiot posted:

Eh, at least you still get kill credit when they pull poo poo like that. I mean, they still do it but it's entirely fruitless and even more petty now.

Window kills is making me think of a thing that trolls used to love to do, which was trying to kill themselves on broken windows to steal a kill. OnceI chased some YouTuber who was playing Tiffany for like five minutes straight, eventually they decided to try and kill themselves on a broken window to spite me. But I grabbed them finally and when I went for the kill they DC'd and this was before they added that patch to fix not getting kill credit.

This has happened to me so many times. Playing as Jason can be such a frustrating experience.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I really would like to hack people to death with leatherface/Myers/Freddy is all I’m saying.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That "Last Year" 1 vs 4 horror game is meant to be out this year, isn't it? Looked like Friday the 13th but with more emphasis on traps and it has more of a Giallo kinda vibe.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I want an asymmetrical horror game that's actually scary but I think multiplayer makes that inherently harder.

I'm actually thinking last year will be poo poo, what i've seen hasn't been impressive and it looks like it has more downtime than DbD, which I thought was impossible. F13 was probably the fastest of all the games.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Last Year could use a tuning pass. It's apparently designed right now with the intention that the survivors will move like they're a military fire team, and well, ha, no.

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Last Year could use a tuning pass. It's apparently designed right now with the intention that the survivors will move like they're a military fire team, and well, ha, no.

"Spooky Noise Detected In Your AO."

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like the best asymmetrical tension I've seen in a game is still that Splinter Cell where one team is playing Splinter Cell and the other is playing Rainbow 6.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

White Noise 2 is probably the game in the genre I'm enjoying most right now, but it has even less players than F13 and among those players are a few who refuse to treat it like a horror game at all and just get extremely angry at any team mate who isn't playing 'their way' so you'll have a couple toxic games among a bunch of fun games (With spamming of 'I'M HERE TO GRIND EXP', one of the pre-programmed text messages you can send, for some reason), but what can ya do? At least in small communities you can just not play with those people since you'll find out who they are pretty quickly and there aren't many to keep track of.

I just wish this game was still getting updated. F13 is extremely fun but the bugs that still plague the game are sometimes pretty awful. Is the bug where the game just -ends- despite half of the counselors still being alive in the camp still going on? That one was the worst one, and kinda killed the interest I had since I had three games in a row end early.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SCP: Secret Lab is also quite good for asymmetric horror. the difficulty being, since it is free, it's hard to get a game where there isn't some idiot spamming the microphone or some hyper-reactive kid squeaking into your speakers. it is, however, incredible to start out playing as a 'victim' class and either die horribly to return as a shootyman class (who will probably also die horribly but at least you have a good gun) or barely survive the horrible monsters in front of you to run smack dab into the other idiots who got killed rolling down the hallways as shootyman classes, short on brains and long on boldness.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I didn't even realize that was an asymmetrical horror game, I thought it was yet another "youtube streamer horror" game like the other SCP games. I'll need to give it a look.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it rapidly becomes one when you're a d-class, spawned with nothing and scraping by on double-think and luck, and then you turn a corner into a horror from beyond the pale and the only thing you've got going for you is 5% extra movement speed, doors, and fast talk.

i have survived certain rounds because i've made the dude behind an SCP laugh, and others because i've led a homicidal SCP into a screaming fireteam of half-drunk paramilitaries and returned later to scavenge guns and access cards off the cooling corpses.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Not that it matters much at this point but

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1039171958733193217

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As an utter Failure Jason (I cannot grab for poo poo. If a councilor moves at all I tend to whiff on them), Jason can be real frustrating to play as, yeah. Nothing quite like spawning, setting your traps and going after someone, you immediately hear the cops as someone else has gleefully ignored your phone trap, and you are forced into a panicked rush of trying to kill *someone* while Chad runs around hitting you with a frying pan and doing a dance. Sigh.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My ability to shift grab went out the window when they changed the animation but otherwise I never had any trouble grabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I have no clue. Might just be a depth perception problem on my end or something, but they seem to be out of reach by the time Jason finishes his lunge. It's frustrating.

• Locked thread