Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

While my ice team is pretty great, my +ice gear situation is not. I'm hoping I can remedy it on this banner and/or replace Snow with a good chain. Worst comes to worst I'm getting some handy Crystal Tower tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Zurai posted:

It's definitely massive power creep. For reference, assuming you've got a decent chain going, Tidus will be able to do between an average of 117k to 235k damage per turn (depending on whether you can hit the 19,999 damage cap, which you should with some effort) with Sapphire Blitz and his full LD, before counting the chase. And he won't use any hones doing it.

So, a normal DPS USB has entry damage and three effects. For example Ysayle's USB is damage, self MAG/RES +30% (effect 1), attach ice (effect 2), and a chase (effect 3). Cloud's USB1 is damage, 100% crit (effect 1), EX Mode: SOLDIER (+30% phys damage and break damage limit, effects 2 and 3). Etc.

Tidus's AASB is damage and five effects. Damage, attach water (effect 1), Sharpshooter Awakening Mode: unlimited sharpshooter uses (effect 2), 100% doublecast sharpshooter (effect 2), sharpshooter damage +30% (effect 3), damage cap break 1 (effect 4), chase (effect 5). And two of those five effects are the most powerful in the game -- damage cap increase and unlimited guaranteed doublecast. People pull for Cloud's USB1 because break damage limit is absurd, people pull for TGCid/Gau/DKCecil/Jack/Vivi/Maria/Palom's USBs because 100% doublecast is absurd.
I initially read the 20k damage cap as being for the chaser, not an overall buff, so I was a little more down on it than I would have otherwise been.

Anyway, that's all well and good that it has five effects, but I'm assuming it costs 50% more bar than a usb so having two more effects seems stronger but not massively so. Add to it the fact that you can only use it once a fight, presumably for 15 seconds.

If I had a choice between one of these or a chain, I'd take the chain any day.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hey girl you up posted:

Anyway, that's all well and good that it has five effects, but I'm assuming it costs 50% more bar than a usb so having two more effects seems stronger but not massively so. Add to it the fact that you can only use it once a fight, presumably for 15 seconds.

Unfortunately they've done what they did with Cloud USB here: they played their strongest hand first which I'm sure is swaying perception too. Zurai's right that infinite-double-cast and damage cap breaking without any sort of downside whatsoever is really not fair even on a USB, especially on a character whose elemental game is already top notch. I'm sure that in general a lot of these won't be as gameshatteringly busted, but I guarantee there will be a heavy leaning towards longer/multi-phase fights for exactly that second reason.

As it stands, most mid-range/early endgame content is over in about 30 in-game seconds with a good team anyway, with only 5* magicite, NuTorments and Transcendental bosses potentially taking longer. It's a bit different saying "you can only use it for 15 seconds" compared to "you can use it for half the fight".

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 11, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zurai posted:

FWIW there's no "O" in there. The entry doesn't deal overflow damage, just the chase. If we added O to all the USBs with chase/finisher/command overflows it'd get very confusing in Japan where AOSBs are actually UOSBs.
Fair enough, I just used SolitaireD's first transcription from during the livestream.

And speaking of, to elucidate more on the new systems at play:

SolitaireD posted:

Magia Crystal
Releasing on 12th September, this is a new system for strengthening characters.

Every character has a Magia Crystal, but its potential can only be unlocked when the character reach Level 99.

There are 12 Magia Crystals, each provide an Offensive & Defensive Boost.

Fire Magia Crystal: Fire Boost / Fire Resistance
Ice Magia Crystal: Ice Boost / Ice Resistance
Lightning Magia Crystal: Lightning Boost / Lightning Resistance
Earth Magia Crystal: Earth Boost / Earth Resistance
Wind Magia Crystal: Wind Boost / Wind Resistance
Water Magia Crystal: Water Boost / Water Resistance
Holy Magia Crystal: Holy Boost / Holy Resistance
Dark Magia Crystal: Dark Boost / Dark Resistance
Poison Magia Crystal: Poison Boost / Poison Resistance
Power Magia Crystal: ATK Boost / DEF Boost
Black Magia Crystal: MAG Boost / RES Boost
White Magia Crystal: MND Boost / HP Boost

Upon reaching level 99, a character can start to earn Magia EXP.
Clearing a battle gives 1 Magia EXP, cumulate enough Magia EXP to gain 1 Magia Point.
Magia Points can be used on Magia Crystals.

You can allocate a maximum of 100 Magia Points to each Boost, ie. 100 to Fire Boost & 100 to Fire Resistance.
100 point cap will be increased in the future.

You can reset your Magia Point distribution through a button at the top right.
However there will be a 14-day cooldown period before you can reset the character's point distribution again.

SolitaireD posted:

Legendary Weapon
This system will be released on 18th September.

Legendary Weapons are 8* relics with a maximum level of 50.
They also have Realm Synergy minor boost to all elements and non-elemental damage.

A new menu option "Sacred Castle" will be added to the game.
Clear Volume 5 of the Acolyte Archives to unlock this function.

Inside the Sacred Castle lies 12 Chambers:
- Dagger
- Sword
- Fist
- Rod
- Thrown
- Whip
- Axe/Hammer
- Bow/Gun
- Instrument
- Stave/Book
- Spear
- Katana

Inside each Chamber are various Legendary Weapons that you can obtain.
You will need to use a "Legendary Lithograph" to redeem a Legendary Weapon.
Events will now periodically award Legendary Lithographs.

To level a Legendary Weapon, you need to feed it with a new material called "Rainbow Crystal".
There will be another new menu option for you to make them.
Expend Rosetta Stone & relics (accessory is not applicable) to gain forging points.
Earn enough forging points to make a Rainbow Crystal.
The rarer the relic, the more point it provide.
1* ~ 4* relics all give the same amount of points.
For augmented equipment, each extra augment point will give the same amount of points as a Rosetta Stone.

- L1 8* Sword has 170 ATK, L35 has 243 ATK, L50 has 275 ATK
- 1* ~ 4* Relic gives 300 Points, 5* Relic (SB/SSB) gives 3000 Points
- 2000 Points to make 1 Rainbow Crystal
- 10 Rainbow Crystals will go L1>35
- Together with Legendary Weapon implementation, battle logic for ATK/MAG/SUM damage will be improved

Few more QoLs are also planned alongside this system.

On 18th September, a menu will automatically appear after doing relic draws that lets your directly sell your 1* ~ 4* relics, or turn them into Rainbow Crystals.

In late October, the Archives will have a history log to record all the equipment you have drawn.
Feel free to shatter/sell your relics ahead of this QoL, as they will still be in the log when it is implemented.

Current Legendary Weapons will provide realm-locked damage boosts.
Later on in the game, there will be new additional Legendary Weapons that will provide single elemental boost instead.
Those will be helpful for dungeons like Magicite where you don't have synergy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hogama posted:

- Together with Legendary Weapon implementation, battle logic for ATK/MAG/SUM damage will be improved

Sounds like they're loving with the softcaps again. That's where the real powercreep will kick in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not surprised. With a 275 ATK weapon most characters would be able to easily hit the ATK soft cap without buffs or synergy, and magic characters would only need a single faithga.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not surprised. With a 275 ATK weapon most characters would be able to easily hit the ATK soft cap without buffs or synergy, and magic characters would only need a single faithga.

Isn't the MAG softcap like 1200? Even with 700 MAG a 30% boost is only 910 - I think we'll still need two MAG boosts to hit that cap.

ATK cap is hilariously low, you're right.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1056 for magic. Attack used to be even lower at around 700.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Fister Roboto posted:

1056 for magic. Attack used to be even lower at around 700.
It's not 700 anymore? What's it at now?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Seems like the legendary weapons system is designed to take actual relics* out of the equation. Although in-realm magic teams might face some troubles on that front since you can't get multiple rods.

*the equipment, not the Soul Breaks they come with, to clarify

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Still no daily above 4* and Y'shtola's USB! That's a good one right? I always hear about how amazing it is from everyone, and I didn't just get more trash.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A surfing dog?! posted:

Still no daily above 4* and Y'shtola's USB! That's a good one right? I always hear about how amazing it is from everyone, and I didn't just get more trash.

my only 5* from the dailies thus far has been wol’s unique soul break. that’s not “warrior of light”, that’s wol’s unique (not super) soul break.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Parade 14 Dusted me. I got Ysale's BSB (Shiva: Diamond Dust). I don't feel so good...

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 12, 2018

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

A surfing dog?! posted:

I'm sorry to say any praise you've heard of Y'shtola USB is sarcasm, it's possibly the worst USB in the game

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I got Haurchefant's LMR :negative:

Why does he have to be such a terrible character in this game?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

hey girl you up posted:

Anyway, that's all well and good that it has five effects, but I'm assuming it costs 50% more bar than a usb

It does not. Two SB bars, the same as a USB.

quote:

Add to it the fact that you can only use it once a fight, presumably for 15 seconds.

You won't need it for more than that, not for any current content. Tidus's can with entirely reasonable numbers deal more than 50% of D??? Yunalesca by himself (if he caps from the start and gets lucky with double casts he kills Yunalesca dead all by himself within the assumed 15 second duration -- note that the duration is not actually known right now except that it's at least ~11 seconds) with just realm chain and no imperil during those 15 seconds. That's not counting any of the DPS any other characters are doing nor what he can do with the SB gauge he builds up using unlimited hone 6 star abilities.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Indecisive posted:

I'm sorry to say any praise you've heard of Y'shtola USB is sarcasm, it's possibly the worst USB in the game

Her USB2 is amazing, though.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Zurai posted:

It does not. Two SB bars, the same as a USB.

Powercreep indeed.
Tidus upgrades from Water machinegun to Water whatever the hell that Metal Storm Gun is.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Realms on Parade!!!!

0: Deuce SSB
T: Orlandeau USB (dupe)
15: Ignis LMR

14: Estinien LMR

Meh

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Realms on Parade:

0: Ace OSB :cheers:
FFT: Mustadio BSB :eng99:
XV: Prompto BSB (dupe) :rubshands:
XIV: Y'shtola LMR :confuoot:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Lol, dupe Thancred SSB which is exactly what I pulled for XIV during the last RoP.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Honestly the biggest problem I had with this fight was the tedium. I tried attacking beforehand but found that Kaiser Dragon's counters are just way too ruthless without significant debuffing. Hell, I was having issues with just one healer at a time and had to bring along Aemo to supplement things. (Her opener gives +ATK/MND which was critical to reach the softcap.) Most of my failures were in the first phase, either due to miscalculating my casts as none of the commands were instant, or encountering the bullshit that is the poison barrier. Once I could reach the second phase I only had to restart once, having forgotten to use the Godwall RW. :downsuicide: At the end losing a star or two for spent actions cost me mastery, because this game still has no wait mode or any way to put characters on standby. (I had to keep selecting Defend for Tyro/Cloud/Zack because otherwise the UI delay would get me killed. :argh:)

As for RoP I just got Y'shtola BSB. Which would be nice if it weren't a dupe.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For JP:

Maintenance on September 12th:
- Magia System

Maintenance on September 18th:
- Legendary Weapon
- ATK/MAG/SUM softcap increment
- You can select up to 20 items in one go
- Skip Relic Draw animation
- Automatically sell 1~4* relics
- Present Box items will now be sorted by Expiry Date

SUM being listed separately might just mean that the minimum damage is being upped, and White Magic should be boosted, too, since BLK/WHT/SUM all use the same damage formula (with MND subbed for MAG on WHT).
We won't know the new softcaps until then, though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Haurchefant USB. Hmm.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haurchefant USB. Hmm.

I think i got that last RoP and I have never used it. Can't even remember what it does

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haurchefant USB. Hmm.

There's a thread on the reddit where some guy ran it through all the magicites and basically came to the conclusion that its really good for tanking, but unfortunately nobody wants or needs a tank in this game. (also I got one last night too!)

Edit: also that Haurchefant's ability selection is too narrow to be really useful otherwise. Basically he can work for Hades if your holy options are limited, but that's about it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

NGDBSS posted:

Hell, I was having issues with just one healer at a time and had to bring along Aemo to supplement things. (Her opener gives +ATK/MND which was critical to reach the softcap.)
There is no healing softcap; every 30% MND buff is another 1.21x HP healed. (Or, if you prefer, healing is always "softcapped"; it never gets the same steep ramp that ATK and MAG do.) MND is only softcapped for white magic damage (where it follows the same rules as MAG).

edit: I read that assuming you meant a healing softcap, because Zack chain should make it easy to hit the ATK softcap, but the wind imperils make me assume you were using his USB. My bad; I'll leave this for someone else it might help.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 11, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well after diligently doing my daily pulls since the update to the draw right i got my first 6* out of it, porom's ultra soul break which looks like "slightly different eiko's ultra soul break". always do your daily draws

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DeadButDelicious posted:

Lol, dupe Thancred SSB which is exactly what I pulled for XIV during the last RoP.

dude I have so many air knives it's sick

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Cool, I got Auron’s new USB from the daily. Also have some other misc stuff for him from random pulls, so got some +ATK baked in. Might be worth my first samurai dive, as he has a dual cast LM2. My other dove physical fire is Bartz (complete) and Sora (USB, glint, LMR). Got Reifa with USB and LMR too, but her dive is bad.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hey girl you up posted:

edit: I read that assuming you meant a healing softcap, because Zack chain should make it easy to hit the ATK softcap, but the wind imperils make me assume you were using his USB. My bad; I'll leave this for someone else it might help.
It would have been lovely to have Zack's chain or native Godwall (permitting the chain as RW), but instead I was making do with him spamming imperil SBs like his BSB and USB. They're decent for personal buffing but they sure as hell don't fuel Cloud's ATK. If it weren't for me having Cloud USB1 to tweak the damage cap I might have brought Ramza and WoL instead (Gen 2 chain and AOSB).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pulled Estinien USB. Is it any good?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

super sweet best pal posted:

Pulled Estinien USB. Is it any good?

It's kind of like a slightly less potent version of Luneth's USB; both are enelement + stacking ATK buff + quickcast cycling, but Luneth's quickcycle is stronger (3x speed instead of 2x speed) and applies on more things (wind attacks instead of wind dragoon attacks).

It's a solid workhorse, but if you already have a good USB'd Wind Dragoon (Freya, Luneth, Fang, even Nine) it's not going to stand out.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That's a comparison I've wanted to have done for a while now. Thank you for assuring me that Luneth is the superior windyboy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

That's a comparison I've wanted to have done for a while now. Thank you for assuring me that Luneth is the superior windyboy.

Yeah. Luneth's is a proper EX Mode that gives High Quick Cast Cycling and +30% ATK, whereas Estinien's is a normal Quick Cast Cycling and equally normal (albeit relatively rare) +30% ATK/DEF.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ahahaha, DD just got me Ramza’s USB. This games alright

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
And here I was excited to get Cloud BSB1 on my DD...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Just FYI, the Magia System is an utter trash fire at launch.

Summary:
  • 1 xp per stage completed, regardless of stamina cost, with the number of xp needed increasing gradually as you go.
  • Elemental attack bonus from Magia is 0.1% per 1 point spent (cap 100 points spent), additive with gear/chain field/attach element.
  • Elemental defense bonus from Magia is 0.1% per 1 point spent (cap 100 points spent), and it does not stack with gear.
  • ATK/DEF/MAG/RES/MND bonus is 1 per 1 point spent (cap 100 points yada yada).
  • HP bonus is 5 per 1 point spent (cap blah blah).

Summary: you have to spend roughly an entire day's worth of stamina on 1 stamina stages to level 100 a cap a single Magia option and all of the elemental options are marginal to actually honest to god worthless. The stat points might be useful depending on the new stat caps, but probably not given legendary weapons. HP is the only useful stat and you have to macro for a whole day for every 5 characters to get 500 HP.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
So, it’sweak enough that actually going out of your way to farm it is worthless? I’m fine with that, hopefully by the time it actually matters they’ll have ironed out the kinks. Won’t stop Reddit idiots from setting macros, but they can get themselves hosed. :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Pulls so far:

Type-0: Ace LMR
FFT: Marach BSB
FFXV: Noctis Glint, Prompto BSB
FFXIV: Papalymo OSB

No dupes, at least!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 11, 2018