Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Inadvertently, an embellishment occurred in the passive voice where it was found that MonsterEnvy was unfortunately unable to cope with criticism of what many people have said is the worst version of D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Already said I was wrong like 8 hours or so ago. Now you guys are just insulting me for it. Which is why I am getting annoyed.

So you were trying to backpedal and get developers to cover for your unfounded statement. Glad to know you’re nothing but lies and bluster then. Thanks for the merry-go-round of random bullshit you put us through.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kingcom posted:

Everything is true until its not true.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

So you were trying to backpedal and get developers to cover for your unfounded statement. Glad to know you’re nothing but lies and bluster then. Thanks for the merry-go-round of random bullshit you put us through.

AlphaDog posted:

Inadvertently, an embellishment occurred in the passive voice where it was found that MonsterEnvy was unfortunately unable to cope with criticism of what many people have said is the worst version of D&D.

gently caress you both. I already said I was wrong and was sorry.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Unfortunately, several posters failed to recognise MonsterEnvy's apparently passively voiced post as an admission that they were wrong, and continued to mock it just as if it were the mealy-mouthed weasel words that many regarded it to be.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

This is the stupidest poo poo. Let’s talk about something stupid that’s actually worthwhile: 5e character optimization, such as it is.

I’m about to get into a Dragon Heist game and am thinking of playing a stabby, quippy bard. What’s a good build for that? The book apparently goes from 1-5, so I need to be keeping that in mind, but there’s a chance that we’ll carry this straight forward into Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

I’m kind of thinking of opening up with one level of Hexblade warlock and heading straight Swords bard after that. The warlock dip is purely for the medium armor, shields, and Charisma to-hit, but I’m wondering if it’s worth it to grab two more warlock levels after I hit bard 6 (and get Extra Attack) to get invocations and whatever else a Blade Pact would get me. That would delay my spellcasting progression, though, and there’s a good chance that I’d be playing the only full caster in the party.

Thoughts?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Can anyone speak to how long and engaging the adventure seems? 1-5 is usually the first chapter of the other adventures, so I'm curious how they spread it out since the early levels can be deadly and limited in optiones.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

blastron posted:

This is the stupidest poo poo. Let’s talk about something stupid that’s actually worthwhile: 5e character optimization, such as it is.

I’m about to get into a Dragon Heist game and am thinking of playing a stabby, quippy bard. What’s a good build for that? The book apparently goes from 1-5, so I need to be keeping that in mind, but there’s a chance that we’ll carry this straight forward into Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

I’m kind of thinking of opening up with one level of Hexblade warlock and heading straight Swords bard after that. The warlock dip is purely for the medium armor, shields, and Charisma to-hit, but I’m wondering if it’s worth it to grab two more warlock levels after I hit bard 6 (and get Extra Attack) to get invocations and whatever else a Blade Pact would get me. That would delay my spellcasting progression, though, and there’s a good chance that I’d be playing the only full caster in the party.

Thoughts?

This will really depend on your character creation but raw point buy you can just go half-elf sword bard and get yourself 16 dex and cha anyway, so really cha to hit is only going to be a late game thing so not worth it. If you really want the armour go fighter 1 (just so you can get the most out of your swording with the fighting style) - sword bard everything else really.

Quidthulhu posted:

Can anyone speak to how long and engaging the adventure seems? 1-5 is usually the first chapter of the other adventures, so I'm curious how they spread it out since the early levels can be deadly and limited in optiones.

If I had to guess I'd say Lost Mines of Phandelver length given its 1-5. Realistically level 1 and level 2 should be a session to two sessions each so I can't imagine its a huge time investment.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 11, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

On the one hand I would like to have the Artificer updated so it can be put into the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron so if I manage to play the Eberron AL stuff I could try it out, on the other hand I doubt it will be nearly as good as this Revised Artificer someone made.

Seriously it has something like 7 subclasses that seem like they would all play relatively differently, and would make it so someone could run an all Artificer group, an Artificer's Guild if you will, where each character could have a different subclass.

Looks interesting but holy poo poo that layout is broken - get the dark illustrations away from the text on page 1 and the table on page 2 is completely hosed. I download the PDF and it's worse. Like to read it but is there a version of this with a not broken layout somewhere?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Quidthulhu posted:

The first chapter of the other adventures is more about getting them to the right level for the adventure in the first place. In this case the Adventure was built around levels 1 to 5. So the Adventure is slower. Looking at it I could guess it could take maybe a little longer then Lost Mines of Phandelver.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

clusterfuck posted:

Looks interesting but holy poo poo that layout is broken - get the dark illustrations away from the text on page 1 and the table on page 2 is completely hosed. I download the PDF and it's worse. Like to read it but is there a version of this with a not broken layout somewhere?

Hmm not sure what you are talking about, but it does sound like some people have issues with the GMBinder site.

Here is a PDF version. Hopefully it won't have those issues for you.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm not sure what you are talking about, but it does sound like some people have issues with the GMBinder site.

The PDF works fine for me, but here's the kind of thing I see (and have always seen) on that website:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah that isn't how it looked on my computer, but like I said it seems some other people have had that problem, which is why there is a google drive link to the PDF. Not sure if it is dependent on the browser one is using or what.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

That one's perfect thanks! Thanks for sharing it and feeding my weird pathological drive to read as much 5e homebrew as possible :) e: this is good artificiering... although on page 13 I found something poorly written:

quote:

Starting at 3rd level, you gain the ability to channel your
artificer spells into a non-magical item for later use.
At the end of a short or long rest, pick a spell you know. You
can infuse this spell into an item for later use. You must
expend any components the spell requires, but this does not
expend a spell slot
. Subsequently, any creature holding the
item with an Intelligence of 6 or higher that is aware there is
magic infused in it can expend the stored magic and cast the
spell.
The spell uses your spellcasting modifiers, but is in all other
ways treated as if the creature holding it cast the spell. The
magic infused in the item fades if you complete a short or long
rest without expending the stored spell.

...that's allowing infinite item infusions? It's pretty good otherwise so far...

It figures somethings wrong with the GMBinder site, it looked terrible there! e:/\/\/\yep that's what I saw too/\/\/\

Speaking of published vs incompleted content I wish they'd put out a balanced version of mystic, but I've given up waiting. I'm trying to make consistent yet alien feeling psionic powers for the aberrations (for a home game setting obvs) and have fallen back on homebrew and pdfs from 3, 3.5 and even digging up psionic specific games like Trinity. It seems like psionics has consistently been a bit of a fifth wheel across the D&D editions so I guess it isn't surprising that something requiring :effort: gets the arse from WoTC.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 11, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah that isn't how it looked on my computer, but like I said it seems some other people have had that problem, which is why there is a google drive link to the PDF. Not sure if it is dependent on the browser one is using or what.

It's browser dependent for me, but only to the extent that each different browser displays it in different broken ways. It was almost totally readable in Chrome with just some pics being funnily placed under text, the screenshot I posted was from Firefox, and Edge just displayed some markup and then crashed but I don't usually use Edge so for all I know that might be perfectly normal behavior for it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

clusterfuck posted:

...that's allowing infinite item infusions? It's pretty good otherwise so far...

Not infinite, you can perform one infusion per rest and it goes away at the start of your next rest if unused. It's just +1 spell in effect.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
More importantly it is +1 spell, that you can hand off to someone else to activate. It is fairly similar to what the UA Artificer had.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Oh I see, makes sense. Perhaps if it said "pick one spell you know" instead of "pick a spell you know" it'd be clearer to dumbasses like me.

e: Now I'm sperging on this but does the wording mean you must infuse the item during the rest or immediately after the rest or at any time between rests?
Also it's more than +1 spell depending on how many short rests you get per long rest.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 11, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The end of the last page and start of this one is a good example of why this thread feels so unwelcoming sometimes, the both of you are as bad as bratty children.

Gobbo Paladin is up to Level 4 now, though I've the option of using my accumulated downtime to bump him to Level 5 which I may do. Been doing lots of pewpew with the shortbow but last session I did get the chance to get in and slice about with my scimitar, rending a gnoll in two with one attack thanks to a smite. Kind of sitting on him until the next time I play him cause I am still not sure which Oath to go with. Thematically I can just write out a custom set of tenets so long as they vaguely follow the same idea, so that isn't the thing making me indecisive.

I think it's going to be a toss up between Ancients and Vengeance. The latter is all around better for an offense focused Paladin, especially since I want to try dual wielding with him for More Smites. But Ancients would give me access to Ensnaring Strike, which would be pretty fun to let loose from a distance via the shortbow. I've also kind of clogged up my bonus action usage a little, I suppose. Between off-hand attack, a variety of paladin spells, and Vow of Enmity if I go Vengeance.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 11, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

clusterfuck posted:

Oh I see, makes sense. Perhaps if it said "pick one spell you know" instead of "pick a spell you know" it'd be clearer to dumbasses like me.

e: Now I'm sperging on this but does the wording mean you must infuse the item during the rest or immediately after the rest or at any time between rests?
Also it's more than +1 spell depending on how many short rests you get per long rest.

The wording means you have to infuse the item at the end of the rest, so you can't infuse it while you're out and about adventuring (it's assumed you were working on the infusion during the rest).

You still can't have multiple infusions as they go away on your next rest regardless of whether it's short or long.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

The wording means you have to infuse the item at the end of the rest, so you can't infuse it while you're out and about adventuring (it's assumed you were working on the infusion during the rest).

You still can't have multiple infusions as they go away on your next rest regardless of whether it's short or long.

I see. So while you can't have multiple infusions simultaneously, the on short rest resetting means you could have several more castings (via infusions) of a given spell per long rest. So at 5th level maybe take 5 short rests in a day and cast a 2nd level spell 5 times from infusion and twice from spell slots. +5 effective spell slots per long rest is a lot higher than +1 spell, is what I'm getting at. Not that that's all that excessive especially given the spell list - assuming the infusions can only done with artificier spells. I was thinking if it was available with something like fireball it could get a bit cheesy or too good not to do.

It's pretty sweet as a class, I like the mech suits and how simply their presented. I had a scene in mind to do with big mech suits and wasn't sure of what they'd add and this fits the bill.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

clusterfuck posted:

I see. So while you can't have multiple infusions simultaneously, the on short rest resetting means you could have several more castings (via infusions) of a given spell per long rest. So at 5th level maybe take 5 short rests in a day and cast a 2nd level spell 5 times from infusion and twice from spell slots. +5 effective spell slots per long rest is a lot higher than +1 spell, is what I'm getting at. Not that that's all that excessive especially given the spell list - assuming the infusions can only done with artificier spells. I was thinking if it was available with something like fireball it could get a bit cheesy or too good not to do.

It's pretty sweet as a class, I like the mech suits and how simply their presented. I had a scene in mind to do with big mech suits and wasn't sure of what they'd add and this fits the bill.

It's no worse than Warlocks getting their spells back on short rests really :)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So WotC has decided to make group stealth basically impossible in Dragon Heist

Not sure if that was intended or just because they are real dumb and don't know how to math

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Piell posted:

So WotC has decided to make group stealth basically impossible in Dragon Heist

Not sure if that was intended or just because they are real dumb and don't know how to math

In this case I think it's intentional. Cause this part is assumed to take place in the middle of the day, in a city with tons of people in it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Then why not just use the normal rules and raise the DC instead of inventing a whole new mechanic?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
So I got invited to a new group, who are fresh off White Plume Mountain and I join them for their 2nd or so session of Dead in Thay. My character's introduction is having been captured and held in a lab by a bunch of undead, but she breaks out of her restraints soon after the battle is joined.

(Beefy but low STR) Barbarian can't reach the closest enemy, so he throws his weapon at the wight in front of my character to maintain rage, to good effect.
Since it looks magical, my paladin picks it up, intent on finishing off the enemy. Takes a couple good swings with it.
Barb: You're picking it up...? Wait a min-
DM: You hear a voice in your head as you thrust the finely crafted trident.
Barb: Eh? No! Hold on-
Voice: Yes, that's how you do it!
Paladin: What... it talks?
Barb: No, no, no-
Voice: Hey lass, I like the cut of your jib. How do you feel about the sea gods?
Paladin: I um... I serve the goddess of travelers and... navigators...
Voice: Eh... good enough.
DM: Wave uses its powers to instantly attune to you.
Barb: Nooooooo!

And that's how I upgraded from mundane equipment to a legendary weapon on my first session.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's really on the barbarian if he's throwing around a weapon that will abandon him the second it's picked up by someone it likes better.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: WotC so loving lazy they cannibalize the books they just released for UA instead of making their own.

The Wayfinder's guide is way more of a Kickstarter for an Eberron hardcover than it is a beta test. They're gonna get more eyes and feedback on that stuff with a UA than the Wayfinder's.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

Then why not just use the normal rules and raise the DC instead of inventing a whole new mechanic?

yeah it seems like "the DC is +4 higher because it's a bustling city, with another +4 because it's in broad daylight" is exactly the kind of thing that circumstantial modifiers are for

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah it seems like "the DC is +4 higher because it's a bustling city, with another +4 because it's in broad daylight" is exactly the kind of thing that circumstantial modifiers are for

Circumstantial modifiers? You mean disadvantage? That's all we've got.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Reik posted:

Circumstantial modifiers? You mean disadvantage? That's all we've got.

Are there any other group checks like stealth? IMO I really like the individual stealth mechanic; while the trust has to be there that (generally) you're not going to pick off individual PCs and kill them as the DM, in a "heist", the whole drat group usually isn't going in anyway.

This is Ocean's 11, not Payday. As a side note I think it's a reasonable conclusion that if you're level 5 and trying to play Payday in the middle of the biggest city in the setting, you're gonna have a Bad Time.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Tremek posted:

Are there any other group checks like stealth? IMO I really like the individual stealth mechanic; while the trust has to be there that (generally) you're not going to pick off individual PCs and kill them as the DM, in a "heist", the whole drat group usually isn't going in anyway.

This is Ocean's 11, not Payday. As a side note I think it's a reasonable conclusion that if you're level 5 and trying to play Payday in the middle of the biggest city in the setting, you're gonna have a Bad Time.

Or just have a level 3 Druid/5 Ranger cast Pass without Trace and trivialize the check because gently caress everyone without spell slots.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wave is a real jerk.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sounds like a pretty typical case of RPG writing. You got this all the time in 2e particularly, where a writer for some miscellaneous book won't know if there's a rule for something off the top of their head and so they'll make something up.

It is pretty egregious in this case what with it being a rule from the PHB though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So they don’t know their own lore. They don’t know their own rules. Why would you buy this again? The pretty pictures? That’s an awful expensive issue of Playboy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Reik posted:

Or just have a level 3 Druid/5 Ranger cast Pass without Trace and trivialize the check because gently caress everyone without spell slots.
Shadow Monks have that spell too because gently caress anyone without spell slots OR Ki.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I like 5e

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is there history behind this monsterenvy guy beyond just stanning for this game and being wrong all the time? Because right now you all look like a bunch of psychos.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Is there history behind this monsterenvy guy beyond just stanning for this game and being wrong all the time? Because right now you all look like a bunch of psychos.

These two judgments are not mutually exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Group stealth is stupid and the system should more easily support the party splitting up