Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK
Bob Woodward's new and incredibly researched book is coming out on September 11th.
https://www.amazon.com/Fear-Trump-White-Bob-Woodward-ebook/dp/B075RV48W3/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I, like many others, have pre-ordered said book and thought it would be cool and good if those of us in CSPAM got together to read it and find out if there's a transcript of the piss tape in it. I'll let everyone know when I have the book and will post about as I get through each chapter. Follow along, get ahead of me and post, whatever. We already have some amazing bombshells dropping from it and you all know they would never release the best stuff:

Best bits so far:

1. Kelly thinks Trump is an idiot: "He's an idiot. It's pointless to try to convince him of anything. He's gone off the rails. We're in crazytown,"
2. Dowd apparently was terrified of Trump and Mueller in the same room and called Trump: "A loving liar" who will "end up in an orange jumpsuit".
3. Staff members regularly circumvent and redirect him while also terrified of his TV habits.

Sure, we knew a lot of this so far, but this now has the man, the legend, Bob freakin' Woodward behind it. And he apparently taped every interview.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/307582196196188160

So with that, I think it's time to get together and have a mighty lol at the expense of Donald J. Trump and his failed administration. There's bound to be some amazing things in here.

:siren: Some basic things to keep in mind :siren:

This thread will obviously have spoilers, people might post pages from it, and all the juicy bits are going to be revealed and talked about. With that in mind, some folks will read it far faster than others. Hell, I probably won't get through all of it right away, so I'll lag behind a lot of you, I'm sure. Be kind to those who don't have as much free time, or are slower readers. You can always spoiler tag stuff, but by no means should anyone expect everyone else to do it if you keep reading the thread and can't keep up with other readers.

Obviously, discussion is going to go all over, especially if the Trump folks show up. Let's try to keep it focused on the book and/or articles, tweets, reviews about the book. There's plenty of Trump threads already to have fun and lol with. Think of this as more of a book club.

With that out of the way, let's get posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

All the President's Piss

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Obviously, discussion is going to go all over, especially if the Trump folks show up

first time CSPAM, huh?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
bob woodward is an access whore who has the gall to act surprised after being present for W and obama paving the way for trump's inauguration and if donald trump did exactly what he does but with the grace to LARP as A Man Of History instead of the tackiest motherfucker from manhattan who proved that all of bob woodward's friends--much like bob woodward--were actually gently caress-awful at their jobs because they couldn't even win an election against a senile piss-piglet, and how he materially represents the contemporary inability of the US government to wipe its own rear end

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

bob woodward is an access whore who has the gall to act surprised after being present for W and obama paving the way for trump's inauguration and if donald trump did exactly what he does but with the grace to LARP as A Man Of History instead of the tackiest motherfucker from manhattan who proved that all of bob woodward's friends--much like bob woodward--were actually gently caress-awful at their jobs because they couldn't even win an election against a senile piss-piglet, and how he materially represents the contemporary inability of the US government to wipe its own rear end

I uh...

I donno what you're saying

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
OTOH I think the book will be hilarious

OTOH I think the best parts have already being revealed on WaPost

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Grondoth posted:

I uh...

bob woodward looked at W loving the constitution far worse than it would ever occur to trump to do and went "that is a man Doing The Needful", and the only reason his tone is remotely critical of the trump WH is because trump existing in the WH proves that bob woodward is a useless cocksucker courtier who deserves worse than what french courtiers got in their day

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
it's going paint the same picture of trump's white house that the fire and fury did, but now everyone will believe it because ~Bob Woodward~

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Typo posted:

OTOH I think the book will be hilarious

OTOH I think the best parts have already being revealed on WaPost

i saw a quote on twitter saying that you can open the book to any page and get a crazy quote

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
remember after fire & fury came out and the trump white house learned a valuable lesson about talking to reporters?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

isnt Woodward a Republican?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

isnt Woodward a Republican?

bigly

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
they should move up the release like they did with F&F so I can listen to it this weekend imo

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/10/why-woodward-is-a-registered-democrat%85and-doesn%92t-tweet/

Sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night. He’s a centrist, it’s true, and I fault him for his actions during the Valerie Plame incident, WMDs, etc. But it seems like there’s some great stuff in here. And hey, you could always read something else. There’s a lot of good books out there including Chris Hedges new book you can do a read along.

https://www.amazon.com/America-Fare...BV22D690EHZ4E4K

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/10/why-woodward-is-a-registered-democrat%85and-doesn%92t-tweet/

Sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night. He’s a centrist, it’s true, and I fault him for his actions during the Valerie Plame incident, WMDs, etc. But it seems like there’s some great stuff in here. And hey, you could always read something else. There’s a lot of good books out there including Chris Hedges new book you can do a read along.

https://www.amazon.com/America-Fare...BV22D690EHZ4E4K

calm down dude him having dumb politics doesnt mean this book isnt going to be hilarious

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
bob woodward sucks mega rear end. pirate his bad book imo

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

eat the nobles

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

bob woodward looked at W loving the constitution far worse than it would ever occur to trump to do and went "that is a man Doing The Needful", and the only reason his tone is remotely critical of the trump WH is because trump existing in the WH proves that bob woodward is a useless cocksucker courtier who deserves worse than what french courtiers got in their day

this sounds about right

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Willie Tomg posted:

now THIS is the kind of erotica i come to cspam for

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

first time CSPAM, huh?

... do we even have any unironic conservatives in this forum, besides regular liberals

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

... do we even have any unironic conservatives in this forum, besides regular liberals

let boosted back in if he wears the hat

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Willie Tomg posted:

If we're talking about Woodward's greatest hits then let's not forget this highlight of his career:

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

Helsing posted:

If we're talking about Woodward's greatest hits then let's not forget this highlight of his career:

That Financial Times quote has aged like fine wine. Greenspan definitely wasn't the largest reason for the 2008 collapse, nope nope.

Also:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1038027233519001600

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1039130589406875651

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lawman 0 posted:

let boosted back in if he wears the hat

He's off probation today

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Grondoth posted:

I uh...

Something about Woodward being more concerned about l’dignite d’office than actual policies I think

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Why is it called fear, trump is p much a no fear kind of guy

Is it because he’s gonna declare Marshall law and become pres for life (just like Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush/Barry)?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Larry Parrish posted:

I have some conservative beliefs, but I also have far leftist beliefs. I just post on issues where I'm comfortable "passing" because I know I'm not going to convince anyone on cspam. I'm not a "classical liberal." Conservatism in America is incoherent because it was essentially founded on principles of violent Revolution. "Give me liberty or give me death." Uh, I'll take death over liberty please.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Why is it called fear, trump is p much a no fear kind of guy

Is it because he’s gonna declare Marshall law and become pres for life (just like Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush/Barry)?

the man is terrified of stairs

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the man is terrified of stairs

you could prolly do a list of the stuff he's terrified of just from what we've seen publicly
- birds
- the sound of babies crying
- germs

if anybody can imagine or remember others with examples, perhaps from bob woodward's new book, we can get the list rolling

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
let's not and say we did

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

you could prolly do a list of the stuff he's terrified of just from what we've seen publicly
- birds
- the sound of babies crying
- germs

if anybody can imagine or remember others with examples, perhaps from bob woodward's new book, we can get the list rolling

Don't forget sharks!
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/01/donald-trump-hates-sharks-according-to-stormy-daniels.html

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
e: wrong effin thread

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Woodward's work until recently I will politely characterized as being very uneven. His book on Alexander Butterfield was pretty decent, but it was the first good thing he'd written in quite a while, so I'd be interested in seeing if the Trump book stands up, presuming such a thing is possible with the cast of cartoonish morons, traitors, and thieves it must surely center itself around.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm down to read this rag

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Bannon was convinced that Trump himself was stunned. “He has no earthly idea he’s going to win,” Bannon said later. “And he had done no preparation. He never thought he would lose, but he didn’t think he would win. There’s a difference. And you’ve got to remember, no preparation, no transition team.”

Putin called from Russia with congratulations, as did President Xi Jinping from China. Many other world leaders called. “It’s finally dawning on him,” Bannon recalled, “that this is the real deal. This is a guy totally unprepared. Hillary Clinton spent her entire adult life getting ready for this moment. Trump hasn’t spent a second getting ready for this moment.”

gee whiz bob if you're going to stick your hand up bannon to make him say things at least use vaseline

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im ready

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
same

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CountFosco posted:

I have some conservative beliefs, but I also have far leftist beliefs. I just post on issues where I'm comfortable "passing" because I know I'm not going to convince anyone on cspam. I'm not a "classical liberal." Conservatism in America is incoherent because it was essentially founded on principles of violent Revolution. "Give me liberty or give me death." Uh, I'll take death over liberty please.

dont let the online people fool you. its not actually bad to be a social conservative in your personal life as long as your political belief is egalitarian freedom for everyone

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Larry Parrish posted:

dont let the online people fool you. its not actually bad to be a social conservative in your personal life as long as your political belief is egalitarian freedom for everyone

Well, I'm an anti-capitalist, and those anti-capitalist beliefs tend to preclude a belief in absolutist freedom, as freedom in such an environment includes the freedom of unfettered capital accumulation and wealth inequality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if i'm going to read a book it better have dragons and swords

• Locked thread