Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

as someone introduced to one piece through the first 130 episodes of the anime, the manga is better and always has been. you'd think the anime would have an advatage in the beginning when the manga art isn't as good, but then the anime fucks it up by constantly rearranging the order of events and making things weird for no goddamn reason. You don't actually get to see Luffy's past with Shanks until like episode 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Watch a bit of theiller bark since as always casting for One Piece is dead nuts on and everyone should hear Brook do his thing.

Also watch the Binks' Sake scene in both Japanese and English.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Up until Marinford at least, the anime is pretty great at getting the hardest hitting moments right, but for the rest I don't think it's worth the extra time investment when you can get through the equivalent amount of story in the manga so much faster. So my suggestion for people getting into OP is to read the manga and look up anime clips of your favorite parts.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks to Marineford, the great foley artist masterpiece "Shoes Running on Cobblestone" is forever burned into my subconscious.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Up until Marinford at least, the anime is pretty great at getting the hardest hitting moments right, but for the rest I don't think it's worth the extra time investment when you can get through the equivalent amount of story in the manga so much faster. So my suggestion for people getting into OP is to read the manga and look up anime clips of your favorite parts.

Yea, this is the way to do it. Even if the One Piece anime was amazing its just so long, I dont know how yall manage to get 800 eps under your belt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Watching them as they come out I presume. And not much rewatching. Same as good ol DBZ.

Still funny that, of all the crew gimmicks and themes we've seen, so far it seems like Gold Roger's crew were just really good at being pirates. No Devil Fruits, no fancy tech.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Thanks to Marineford, the great foley artist masterpiece "Shoes Running on Cobblestone" is forever burned into my subconscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7xvUzCMr04&t=237s

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jose posted:

watch one piece when you're tripping it owns

ya

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching them as they come out I presume. And not much rewatching. Same as good ol DBZ.

Still funny that, of all the crew gimmicks and themes we've seen, so far it seems like Gold Roger's crew were just really good at being pirates. No Devil Fruits, no fancy tech.

same w/ shanks, it seems

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DizzyBum posted:

It was more clogs in a rock tumbler
but ok

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

scary ghost dog posted:

same w/ shanks, it seems

I think I’ve seen the suggestion that Shanks’ crew are full of superlatives. Smartest Man Alive Benn Beckham and Fastest and so on. But that also seems really unlikely and more a translation goof than anything concrete.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't believe Shanks has been around since the first chapter of the series and still hasn't had a major on-screen fight. I just want to see what this guy is capable of.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think I’ve seen the suggestion that Shanks’ crew are full of superlatives. Smartest Man Alive Benn Beckham and Fastest and so on. But that also seems really unlikely and more a translation goof than anything concrete.

It's hard to say. Beckman is the smartest character introduced as of Syrup Village, making him smarter than Kuro, East Blue Usopp, or East Blue Nami. That was before the introduction of Robin, Caesar, Vegapunk, and Sengoku, among others. He has a good chance of being the best tactician/strategist, but even there Sengoku or Dragon could well be superior. Lucky Roux's only demonstration of speed was relative to Higuma, a complete nobody; Kalifa could have done the same thing. And I'm not sure what Shanks' own superlative would be, since Mihawk has a superlative of his own (world's strongest swordsman) that implies superiority to Shanks in some respects. Maybe Shanks has the best Color of the Conqueror?

On the other hand, Shanks' crew seem to be opposed to eating Devil Fruits, so their being full of superlatives is the obvious way for them to be strong while still being interesting. And Yassopp being the best sniper makes narrative sense by giving Usopp a metric to surpass.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

maybe they use superlatives because they're a fun goofy crew

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

God why even bother having a week if there’s no chapter

agreed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
As the most successful of Roger's former crew, it's no surprise that Shanks takes a lot of inspiration from Roger in how he goes about pirating, but he also seems more on the friendly, laid-back and fun-loving side, which was part of his influence on Luffy's own style. (and of course, the straw hat was passed down along all three of them) And given Shanks turned out to be an old rival of Mihawk back when he had his good arm, I bet they have a theme of being much, much more dangerous than they look and act. (also something the Straw Hats take after them)

Buggy on the other hand seems to have been the odd one out on Roger's crew, and quite fittingly became a pirate in his own flashy way, and probably would have devil fruit or no devil fruit.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Buggy owns so much

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'd love it if Buggy's lost treasure map came up again somehow, though that'd be one hell of an old callback.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

I'd love it if Buggy's lost treasure map came up again somehow, though that'd be one hell of an old callback.

Calling it now: It's a map to Uranus or the 4th road pone.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm still waiting for Captain John's treasure to become relevant because you know it'll happen one day.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does Buggy still have that map?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sub Harrison posted:

Calling it now: It's a map to Uranus

(this forum needs a Stickin Around Bradley smilie)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

mabels big day posted:

Does Buggy still have that map?

He dropped it when Shanks surprised him and it flew into the ocean.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Like that'll stop Buggy D. Clown, the man who's going to be the King of the Pirates

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(this forum needs a Stickin Around Bradley smilie)

Lmao can't believe I typed map to Uranus without remembering this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

original dbz is 291 episodes and kai is 159. even if you include the 131 episodes of super with the unedited version, one piece is still almost twice as long

the one piece anime's been bad for longer than the dbz anime ran at this point

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
do you think luffy is gonna punch someone

just wondering

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Jose posted:

watch one piece when you're tripping it owns

I'd like to second this. It's built for watching on acid in particular.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

just wondering

He's going to cut them, why else would he have a sword?

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

anime was right posted:

just wondering

no

KoB
May 1, 2009

anime was right posted:

just wondering

punching isnt allowed in sumo smdh

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
a gear 3rd slap would still be pretty effective

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

a gear 3rd slap would still be pretty effective

You did read the most recent chapter, right?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

KoB posted:

punching isnt allowed in sumo smdh
tank man

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wonder how much of this is true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZYrTWakJs
Especially if the translations were accurate.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Sorry to bother you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
amazing chapter

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the centaur girl looks like she has half a horse stapled to her butt. didn't notice it was part of her for a sec. also

scary ghost dog posted:

amazing chapter

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

the centaur girl looks like she has half a horse stapled to her butt. didn't notice it was part of her for a sec. also

Yeah it's neat how unnatural all the Smiles are compared to legal, legit, law-abiding, natural, organic Zoan Devil Fruits.

Remember, kids, don't settle for Smiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i like how quickly Law has adapted to the situation