Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Ace of Baes posted:

they're banned for use against combatants, it's a war crime to drop white phosphorus on combatants

It's ok to use White Phosphorus on military targets, but illegal to use it in civilian areas or on military targets embedded in civilian areas. But we say that we're not using it as a weapon so it's not illegal.

It's the "an internal investigation determined that the officer followed proper procedures in this shooting" of international relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1036624823093477376
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1038956493649928192

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's ok to use White Phosphorus on military targets, but illegal to use it in civilian areas or on military targets embedded in civilian areas. But we say that we're not using it as a weapon so it's not illegal.

It's the "an internal investigation determined that the officer followed proper procedures in this shooting" of international relations.

It's also illegal to use on strictly military targets if you're using it on personnel, as you're using the toxic effects of the chemicals as a weapon versus using a chemical agent for smoke/cover. The UN has specifically clarified on this for WP, the US/Israel just doesn't care and does war crimes anyways because no one can do anything about it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ace of Baes posted:

It's also illegal to use on strictly military targets if you're using it on personnel, as you're using the toxic effects of the chemicals as a weapon versus using a chemical agent for smoke/cover. The UN has specifically clarified on this for WP, the US/Israel just doesn't care and does war crimes anyways because no one can do anything about it.

I think what they do is make a distinction between the incendiary and "toxic" effects of WP. Like, exposure to spent WP will poison your body but that's not the same thing as using it for an incendiary weapon. The laws regulating use of WP as an incendiary weapon are just bad in general even before getting around to the point that there's no way to enforce them anyway.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
idk guys those idlib guys owned america hard in 2001

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't Russia and the US make a deal with Assad saying he can only do whatever is necessary to capture the oil fields in Idlib, and leave the rest alone? Without oil revenues the rebels won't be able to pose a threat Assad.

Assad is assured dominance over Syria, and civilian casualties in Idlib are minimized.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok but what happens to the rebel held areas? The 3 million people that western media keeps harping about are living in feudal conditions where they're ruled by street gangs with a Quranic vocabulary.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
russia would likely not agree to that and more importantly the syrian people would never accept that. this is a fight to the death and both sides understand that. the idlib campaign will be ugly and brutal but entirely necessary.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
oh i see, the civilians in idlib would rather live under assad then whoever governs them now. why would assad be preparing to gas the civilians then, wouldn't attacking military targets be enough since the civilians would welcome an SAA takeover?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Same reason anybody else uses chemical warfare. urban fighting is hard. they’d rather end the war as soon as possible and risk a lot of dead civilians than have a long drawn out fight.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Assad should consider doing what Grant did after the American Civil War and offer to pardon the rebel soldiers if they surrender and swear an oath to Syria.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol he isn't a wimp

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Assad, what is good in life?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

qkkl posted:

Assad should consider doing what Grant did after the American Civil War and offer to pardon the rebel soldiers if they surrender and swear an oath to Syria.

the syrian government has actually had a policy of reconciliation where they basically do that but the (mostly foreign) jihadis in idlib have made it clear that they will not stand down peacefully. a large number of the idlib rebels are not syrian, how will they reconcile with the state? doubtful that their home countries will want them back. there realistically arent many options here.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I don't know about all of you but I'm happy to keep criticising military forces using indiscriminate weaponry in civilian areas whether it's the Syrians and Russia against Idlib, Israel against Gaza or the USA against Raqqa.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
1: many of the jihadi's in Idlib province originally occupied other parts of the country and have already been offered/refused reconciliation with the Syrian government at this point. as the great deceiver mentioned, many of them aren't even syrian born, and were only allowed to leave by the SAA to avoid a costly siege/fight to the death situation. that only kicked the problem down the road, and there's no real basis for reconciliation with those who are still fighting.

2: the USA after the civil war is pretty terrible example of reconciliation, since the reconstruction era is basically marked by amnestied confederate soldiers/officers forming clandestine reactionary paramilitary cells with the explicit intent of terrorizing anyone who was trying to transition the south away from a slave-based economy. sitting down and talking peace with a bunch of armed men who's entire political aim is to drive every alawite, shia, and druze into the sea isn't really an acceptable option for the syrian government.

really, the only option I can see for the jihadi's and their families is if Turkey lets them flee into afrin/southeastern turkey, and resettle into towns emptied out by the ethnic cleansing of local kurds. that is obviously not a great option for the kurds, though!

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013
The d&d thread keeps saying there's alawite only traffic lanes in Damascus. Where are they getting that from?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/03/15/the-alawite-lane/?utm_term=.270ceef6f51a

From this no doubt unbiased and totally non-propagandistic piece of journalism from the Washington post.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1039140824955666432

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1038951459201667073

I guess chlorine is now the "red line" that can provoke more US intervention. We're not even talking about sarin or other nerve gas anymore.

Well if U.S. officials say so, then it must be true, and it must also mean we should bomb Assad

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Assad: Hello my war planning and chemical weapons use approval group

War Planning and Chemical Weapons Use Approval Group: Hello Assad

Assad: I am calling you today to approve we use Chhorline Gas in Idlib, where we are make war.

War Planning and Chemical Weapons Use Approval Group: Ok, I hope you don't mind we tell the U.S. Officials

Assad: yes, sure

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Frijolero posted:

Assad: Hello my war planning and chemical weapons use approval group

War Planning and Chemical Weapons Use Approval Group: Hello Assad

Assad: I am calling you today to approve we use Chhorline Gas in Idlib, where we are make war.

War Planning and Chemical Weapons Use Approval Group: Ok, I hope you don't mind we tell the U.S. Officials

Assad: yes, sure

THS
Sep 15, 2017

any of you who are eating this stuff up from WaPo or NYT have the memory and political instincts of a gerbil

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Yeah, not even a cited source in the WSJ article unless I missed it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

source: the cias rear end

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol'ing at the thought of Assad stamping a huge red stamp that says "APPROVED" on a file labelled "Using chemical weapons in Idlib?"

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frijolero posted:

Well if U.S. officials say so, then it must be true, and it must also mean we should bomb Assad

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

THS posted:

any of you who are eating this stuff up from WaPo or NYT have the memory and political instincts of a gerbil

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Wtf I love Turkey now!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

Wtf I love Turkey now!

from grey wolf to fire fox

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
My favorite columnist has a piece in the WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-world-must-stop-assad-1536614148

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:yeshaha:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/trolbietz/status/1039230290147921921?s=21

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
rear end

fat / rear end

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Happy Birthday to The Lion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgiyWGyJcIc

Keep killing the savages and making neocons mad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

never forget
https://twitter.com/marcowenjones/status/1039578906330914817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch_ALM/status/1039614210722983937

This is ridiculous even without context, but protesters in Basra stormed Iran's embassy last week too.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-protests/iraqs-top-shiite-cleric-demands-end-to-violence-as-deadly-protests-rage-idUSKCN1LN1M9