Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think that post fails to support the claim that the elven vagina is a mass of tentacles. It supports there being at least one tentacle well, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I think that post fails to support the claim that the elven vagina is a mass of tentacles. It supports there being at least one tentacle well, though

It'd have to be at least two: one for the cock-ringing and one for the sounding effect.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’m staying the gently caress outta this, I was drunk when I wrote it and I barely remember why I landed on tentacles instead of some kinda suction cup system, except that tentacles just sounds more horrifying

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You could always just say it's a Drawn Together reference.

Though yeah, I guess that is more embarrassing

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

elise the great posted:

I’m staying the gently caress outta this, I was drunk when I wrote it and I barely remember why I landed on tentacles instead of some kinda suction cup system, except that tentacles just sounds more horrifying

Are you suggesting some kind of vacuum-pump vagina thing?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Sounds like YOURE the one suggesting that tbh

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Peristalsis.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sometimes I wonder if my :10bux: was well-spent. Not today. :allears:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

elise the great posted:

gently caress that; I refuse to believe that it was anything but a well-researched and level-headed seriouspost about elf reproduction that is definitely approved LOTR canon.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I would suggest trying to email Christopher Tolkien to ask for a definitive answer re: vagina tentacles, but I don't want to be indirectly responsible for horrifying an old man to death.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'd be kind of surprised if Christopher Tolkien used email.

edit:
Dildo thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918
elise post here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post463511251
Page 10, the thread won its place in the hall of fame and glory: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post463712369

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 11, 2018

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just came to post that Sam Gamgee is an absolute pisspot.

quote:

Frodo stepped inside the dark door. 'Sam!' he called. 'Sam! Time!'

'Coming, sir!' came the answer from far within, followed soon by Sam himself, wiping his mouth. He had been saying farewell to the beer-barrel in the cellar.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ohh, a stack of new posts in the Tolkien thread, I wonder if aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Octy posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Pippin who was into watersports, as are all Tooks.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's the Bucklanders, the Tooks are the ones who, ahem, all live in the same giant house together

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Octy posted:

Tbh he had a point, they next get a drink in Bree, then a shot of Gandalf’s flavored elvish vodka on Caradhras, and then what? Water increasingly tainted by industrial effluent all the way to Doom.

Maybe Bombadil’s moonshine counts as well but idk.

Actually now that I flip through it Faramir gives them enough wine to make Sam forget himself as well. This book has more drinking than I remember.

skasion fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 11, 2018

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skasion posted:

Tbh he had a point, they next get a drink in Bree, then a shot of Gandalf’s flavored elvish vodka on Caradhras, and then what? Water increasingly tainted by industrial effluent all the way to Doom.

Actually now that I flip through it Faramir gives them enough wine to make Sam forget himself as well. This book has more drinking than I remember.

Tolkien was a lush. Forget Red Bull: Ent-draughts make you taller!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Octy posted:

Tolkien paints a really unflattering portrait of Sam as a simple country bumpkin/talking dog.

He's a working class noble savage.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

skasion posted:

Tbh he had a point, they next get a drink in Bree, then a shot of Gandalf’s flavored elvish vodka on Caradhras, and then what? Water increasingly tainted by industrial effluent all the way to

[quote="skasion" post="487841847"]

On the contrary, Gildor gives them something that sounds like dessert wine. The effect is similar to alcohol anyway.

quote:

They found that the Elves had filled their bottles with a clear drink, pale golden in colour: it had the scent of a honey made of many flowers... very soon they were laughing, and snapping their fingers at rain, and at Black Riders.

Also they get wrecked immediately afterwards on Farmer Maggot's beer.

Octy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 11, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sounds like mead.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Elves drinking mead? Get outta here!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Farmer Maggot also has beer on tap at his place, that's commented on as being as good as what's served at the inn Frodo makes them skip out on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sassassin posted:

Tolkien paints a really unflattering portrait of Sam as a simple country bumpkin/talking dog.

He's a working class noble savage.
I dunno, Sam's dialogue is more coherent than your posting

e: And less stereotyped!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd expect Hobbits to recognize mead. Having apparently pretty well-developed agriculture, I'd be surprised if they didn't keep bees. The fact that they eat cakes indicates some form of sugar production, and honey is the most likely (sugar beet processing doesn't seem like Tolkien's bag). Given that they brew beer and wine, I'd expect them to also make mead.

Tolkien may have been thinking about mead, though, but didn't want to explicitly call it that. He surely had his own views about what saying "mead" would invoke. The Rohirrim capital is called Meduseld, Mead-Hall, and they are the sort of noble barbarian that comes to mind when you think "mead". I don't think he wanted to put elves in that same sort of niche.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nessus posted:

I dunno, Sam's dialogue is more coherent than your posting

e: And less stereotyped!

Coherent to the point where Frodo thinks it's worth describing Sam's face as 'unusually thoughtful'.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd expect Hobbits to recognize mead. Having apparently pretty well-developed agriculture, I'd be surprised if they didn't keep bees. The fact that they eat cakes indicates some form of sugar production, and honey is the most likely (sugar beet processing doesn't seem like Tolkien's bag). Given that they brew beer and wine, I'd expect them to also make mead.

Tolkien may have been thinking about mead, though, but didn't want to explicitly call it that. He surely had his own views about what saying "mead" would invoke. The Rohirrim capital is called Meduseld, Mead-Hall, and they are the sort of noble barbarian that comes to mind when you think "mead". I don't think he wanted to put elves in that same sort of niche.

Tolkien's Elves are exactly the type of Heroic Saga folks that would quaff mead and feast before and after big hunts, and then all commit suicide by hubris.

They are by turns both very noble and very savage. The prim, proper, almost-robotic and passionless Elf is a more modern invention than Tolkien.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It was a classic Sauternes from about 2930, I tell you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Elves make mead, even if the hobbits are occasionally too dopey to notice. When they drink farewell to the fellowship in Lorien, it’s a cup of white mead they drink from, and a bit later in Galadriel’s song the phrase “lissë-miruvóreva” is translated “of the sweet mead”. “Miruvor” is a pretty broad word that can mean any kind of special drink (the stuff that Elrond gives them really doesn’t seem like mead, or at least isn’t compared to it; and Galadriel’s phrase here seems more like it’s talking about the nectar of the gods than anything else) but the point here is explicitly to hearken back to the mead they just drank. Tolkien is generally more fond of using “mead” in the sense of “meadow” though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Plus, it's elvish mead -- if it's made with honey, it's mead, but presumably elvish mead differs as much from the mead of the Rohirrim as trappist ales differ from Budweiser.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Galadriel probably still has a nice bottle of Valinorean wine she's been saving for a special occasion

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Etymologically, “miruvór” doesn’t denote anything to do with mead or even cordial; it just means “precious juice”. So I’m forced to conclude it’s elvish for “the hard stuff”.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Galadriel probably still has a nice bottle of Valinorean wine she's been saving for a special occasion

Yeah, she’s not gonna share that poo poo with any Moriquendi-rear end bitch. Probably cracked it open with Gandalf on their victory lap after the war.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

They went on for perhaps another couple of miles. Then the sun gleamed out of ragged clouds again and the rain lessened. It was now past mid-day, and they felt it was high time for lunch. They halted under an elm tree: its leaves though fast turning yellow were still thick, and the ground at its feet was fairly dry and sheltered. When they came to make their meal, they found that the Elves had filled their bottles with a clear drink, pale golden in colour: it had the scent of a honey made of many flowers, and was wonderfully refreshing. Very soon they were laughing, and snapping their fingers at rain, and at Black Riders. The last few miles, they felt, would soon be behind them.

I love them snapping their fingers at the ring wraiths. What a mental picture.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus, it's elvish mead -- if it's made with honey, it's mead, but presumably elvish mead differs as much from the mead of the Rohirrim as trappist ales differ from Budweiser.

For all that their hall is named for it, the House of Eorl does not seem to drink mead, at least not for royal functions. Eowyn toasts Theoden with wine.

Then again, Theoden is as much Gondorian as he is Rohirric so maybe we shouldn’t be too surprised by such southern ways.

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 11, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe bee-farming was more economical back north where Eorl was from, and grapes grow better in Rohan

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Why did Aragorn's ancestors decided to hang around in the north after the fall of Arnor instead of taking up the throne in Gondor?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Why did Aragorn's ancestors decided to hang around in the north after the fall of Arnor instead of taking up the throne in Gondor?

Gondor had just rejected the claim of Arnor's king quite recently when Arnor fell.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They probably didn’t really have the resources to make a claim credible either. They weren’t kings anymore, they were chieftains of wandering bands who nobody respected or liked. Just surviving was probably hard enough without trying to send an embassy hundreds of miles to convince another state to let them be king.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Elves kept them around to use as game wardens and emergency proxy rulers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, that’s just Aragorn, who gets to be Elrond’s fosterling and third-in-command to his sons growing up. The rest of the Dunedain aren’t on retainer. The Tale of A&A says that it was Estel’s impressive performance on one of Elladan and Elrohir’s goblin pogroms that convinced Elrond to tell him who he was and give him the ring of Barahir. For the previous 1000 years he couldn’t give a gently caress.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 12, 2018