Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I posted about it in this very thread two years ago when my cat died, but I was destroyed when it happened. A coworker heartlessly told me, "I haaate cats. Absolutely haaate them. I'm a dog person." after she asked what was wrong.

Like... people like that don't even deserve to have children, let alone pets. How the gently caress do you say something like that to a grieving person?

EDIT: of course it's a new page. Re: losing a pet chat from the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When the signal says you can cross on the bottom left/right crossing, it is equally safe to go on the top left/right crossing. Just check for left turns. Or right turns in Australia I guess.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There's a local radio show host who is pretty much a sociopath and makes no bones about how he wants to see the world end. But whenever one of his dogs die, the dude takes 1-2 days off work, and many times when he comes back, he's ranting and raving about people wanting a higher minimum wage when they can't even make a cheeseburger right and people get paid what they deserve and...the dude is a rich white man who can take DAYS off when a pet dies, who brags about how much he spends on remodeling his house and how many TVs he puts in the bars there, but he has no loving empathy save for his own animals, and sometimes one or two charities that work with cops or the Humane Society.

He has no idea that some people get loving fired for taking their sick kid to the doctor or trying to cope with the loss of a child or spouse or parent, and he doesn't care because the dude is rich and if not for his ability to impersonate celebs, he'd be a loving nobody who'd get fired for not showing up to work because one of his dogs died.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Sep 9, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Warren, your mom sounds like she drives you completely loving bonkers. Is there any way out of that?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Warren, your mom sounds like she drives you completely loving bonkers. Is there any way out of that?

I edited out the comment but she does drive me crazy, but at this point with her age I'm starting to worry if maybe she doesn't need a hearing aid. at first I was seriously worried about dementia because both of her parents had Alzheimer's really really bad in their last few years, until I remember that she's adopted so then that makes it a little worse because neither of us have any idea what to expect as she gets older.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just see a lot of posts from you, usually about that, and I'm just wondering if something can't be done. Would she be receptive to a hearing aid?

If I'm overstepping boundaries here, just tell me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No no, it's something I need to talk about with her.

Peeve outside my mom: during a meeting, people who can't keep their tiny whisper chatter to a minimum, especially when we have a guest speaker. Assholes, someone else has the floor right now, everybody sit down like you've been asked to multiple times, and be quiet.

this does not mean, that you look over at the person asking for quiet, then turn back to the person you're talking to and keep whispering! What are you, four?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cowslips Warren posted:

No no, it's something I need to talk about with her.

Peeve outside my mom: during a meeting, people who can't keep their tiny whisper chatter to a minimum, especially when we have a guest speaker. Assholes, someone else has the floor right now, everybody sit down like you've been asked to multiple times, and be quiet.

this does not mean, that you look over at the person asking for quiet, then turn back to the person you're talking to and keep whispering! What are you, four?

People do this all the time at talks and it drives me crazy. When my old boss did it during my talks I'd stop and stare (leading the rest of the room to turn around and look) until they were done like I was a teacher trying to make a 3rd grader feel embarrassed, because that's what they are acting like. At least pretend to pay attention.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Re: intersections

I've always wondered why the pedestrian crossing are placed right at the intersection instead of 20 meters or so back away from it. It makes it so you have to dodge traffic coming from four directions at once instead of just one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've always wondered why the pedestrian crossing are placed right at the intersection instead of 20 meters or so back away from it. It makes it so you have to dodge traffic coming from four directions at once instead of just one.
If you need to cross both ways you can hit both buttons and wait for whichever one changes first. If the crossings are further from the corner you have to commit ahead of time and it's super annoying.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Re: intersections

Turning traffic won't stop for you then, and you won't be able to see them coming.

Peeve: people who don't signal. There's any number of intersections here where one can expect 95%+ of the people to be turning, but I have to stop and wait for a break instead of turning right coming out of them since they don't signal or even slow down until they get there.

pre:
---------------------------------

--------              ------------
  -car->V
--------             ------------
       |     |    >  |
       |     |    ^  | 
       |     |    |  |
       |     |    m  |
       |     |    e  |
       |     |    |  |

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

rchandra posted:

Turning traffic won't stop for you then, and you won't be able to see them coming.

That's already the case, though. People turning are completely oblivious to the walk/don't walk lights. Moving the crossings back a bit would at least give me a couple of more seconds to react.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You expect traffic to stop 20 yards back from the intersection and then stop again once they reach the intersection? Or are you suggesting that if a light is red people will just stop 20 yards further away? Your idea might *maybe* solve your peeve but would also extremely gently caress up traffic in general.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It wouldn't change anything about traffic since nobody stops for pedestrians, but it would give pedestrians more time to look for an opening. The way it is now I can't cross the street if any cars are coming from any of the four directions because nobody slows down, uses signals, or has any regard for the lights.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People do this all the time at talks and it drives me crazy. When my old boss did it during my talks I'd stop and stare (leading the rest of the room to turn around and look) until they were done like I was a teacher trying to make a 3rd grader feel embarrassed, because that's what they are acting like. At least pretend to pay attention.

No poo poo! When we have a video on and I might be bored but I can sit quietly and look at my phone. gently caress, even trying to get the raffle started led to me having to yell at people to sit and shut up. One idiot kept wandering around the other tables until I told him to sit down and we wouldn't start until he had.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A thread classic: some inconsiderate buffoon parking their giant cart right in front of an aisle, standing next to it, and spending 10 minutes deciding between two brands of ketchup while blocking off like six feet of aisle shelving and losing track of their kids.

Or worse, they'll stop their cart parallel to another stopped cart or to a stocker's dolly, totally blocking passage. How loving blind are you?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A trend I've noticed recently is that a lot of people pull their shopping carts from the front-left corner instead of standing behind it and pushing like a normal person. Since they're off to the side they basically block the entire aisle.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

It wouldn't change anything about traffic since nobody stops for pedestrians, but it would give pedestrians more time to look for an opening. The way it is now I can't cross the street if any cars are coming from any of the four directions because nobody slows down, uses signals, or has any regard for the lights.

Ok now I'm really confused. You're talking about a 4 way intersection where nobody is required to stop?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

In MN, you must stop for pedestrians, if they put a foot in the crosswalk. It's an implied stop sign. I've never had a problem crossing the road, even when jaywalking. Just put your hand up, make sure the person sees you, and cross the road as quick as you can.

To be fair, this is the Twin Cities, not Chicago or New York. Maybe it's more difficult there. Here, I've never had any trouble crossing in a weird place when I have to. Just be quick about it and everyone is fine. People do it in front of me all the time and it's not hard to just slow up slightly and then keep going.

Now, the thing people do with the walk sign making them invincible does give me the red rear end. Don't saunter slowly across the road taking the entire light to make a crossing. It's not hard to jog. People have places to be.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Ok now I'm really confused. You're talking about a 4 way intersection where nobody is required to stop?

It's a regular intersection with crosswalks and traffic lights but nobody stops for poo poo. If you use the crosswalk you have no time to react when somebody decides to drive through a red light and make a left turn straight into you without signaling. Moving the crosswalks back away from the intersection would be way safer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mostlygray posted:

In MN, you must stop for pedestrians, if they put a foot in the crosswalk. It's an implied stop sign. I've never had a problem crossing the road, even when jaywalking. Just put your hand up, make sure the person sees you, and cross the road as quick as you can.

To be fair, this is the Twin Cities, not Chicago or New York. Maybe it's more difficult there. Here, I've never had any trouble crossing in a weird place when I have to. Just be quick about it and everyone is fine. People do it in front of me all the time and it's not hard to just slow up slightly and then keep going.

Now, the thing people do with the walk sign making them invincible does give me the red rear end. Don't saunter slowly across the road taking the entire light to make a crossing. It's not hard to jog. People have places to be.

I'm in California and that is the law as well but nobody stops. It's usually uber drivers that aren't even looking at the road.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sounds like what you actually need are for traffic laws to be enforced.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A thread classic: some inconsiderate buffoon parking their giant cart right in front of an aisle, standing next to it, and spending 10 minutes deciding between two brands of ketchup while blocking off like six feet of aisle shelving and losing track of their kids.

Or worse, they'll stop their cart parallel to another stopped cart or to a stocker's dolly, totally blocking passage. How loving blind are you?

I work in a supermarket and I can confirm that people leave their brains at home when they go shopping and have zero awareness of what's going on around them

Speaking of supermarket peeves: when I'm quite clearly doing second reductions on products that have to go that day, and people just come up and take the ones I haven't put the new stickers on yet. It's no skin off my nose, but if you'd just waited a few seconds, you could have had that for half price instead of only 25% :mad:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At my local Woolies the other day they had a little demo stand set up for a product they were promoting. Except they put it right in front of a section of the cheese display. Right in front of the particular cheese I wanted (Jarlsberg if anyone's interested, though it adds nothing to the story).
A woman and her 3 kids were trying the product and had shopping bags and schoolbags spread out all over the floor blocking any access to that cheese and some others too.
I hovered for about 30 seconds until deciding 'gently caress this' and asked them to move. To be fair it wasn't really their fault and they were really polite about it, it was whoever decided to set up the stand in such a stupid place. I had to lean in at a really awkward angle to reach the piece of cheese I wanted too.

People drive me nuts in supermarkets. They lose all awareness of space and time.

Helith has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Sep 10, 2018

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
When they handout free samples in supermarkets but can't tell you details about the product. Seriously, if you can't answer "Does this contain X?" with a yes, no, or easy way to check, you are not doing your job!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

"Hey can I get X?"
"Sorry, don't have time/have to get permission to send out that kind of documentation, I'll check it out. You'll hear from me."

'You'll hear from me.'

No I loving won't, every single time people say that it's just a 'don't bother me', and they'll just forget or not do it, and then I have to follow up.
Not to mention that means the project I'm working on gets delayed because it's missing important poo poo.

Ughhhhhhh

Related to this is the wonderful: Hey! Could you do this project? It has to be done asap, but we haven't gotten any of the files required because we just remembered this right now.
Also we've known that it had to be done for months, and instead of asking you to do this during the extremely calm month of august, we're asking you the moment other work is ramping up.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

SubNat posted:

"Hey can I get X?"
"Sorry, don't have time/have to get permission to send out that kind of documentation, I'll check it out. You'll hear from me."

'You'll hear from me.'

No I loving won't, every single time people say that it's just a 'don't bother me', and they'll just forget or not do it, and then I have to follow up.
Not to mention that means the project I'm working on gets delayed because it's missing important poo poo.

Ughhhhhhh

Related to this is the wonderful: Hey! Could you do this project? It has to be done asap, but we haven't gotten any of the files required because we just remembered this right now.
Also we've known that it had to be done for months, and instead of asking you to do this during the extremely calm month of august, we're asking you the moment other work is ramping up.

I had to get something custom ordered, with lots of questions about price/options/sizing as that entails, and every time I asked something the chap I was talking to said “I’ll get back to you this afternoon” or “I’ll get back to you today”. Then I would wait a couple of days, so we were entirely out of the possible “today” for any time zone, and email again, politely. By the end, with c.30 emails exchanged, he was getting shirty, but still saying “this afternoon” and not delivering. Just...don’t say you’ll do something and not. The first couple of times are forgivable, but I’m willing to wait so long as you don’t say “this will be done by X time and I’ll tell you” when you know it won’t be.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Thin Privilege posted:

Kind of on topic, my new boss was fine about it when I unexpectedly had to take a day off work due to my cat, but punished 2 different women for doing the same but for their kids :psyduck:

Unless it is unfiltered favoritism, my guess is they always ask about such favors. While your circumstance comes up more rarely, so they don't expect you to do that all the time.

Also. Pet peeve. People who use the word narcissist/sociopath=bad person. Stop it. You are just lowering the bar for public understanding of psychology. It's obnoxious, arrogant and annoying. Say what you mean instead of trying to inflate your opinion with armchair psychology.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Sep 12, 2018

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Midig posted:

Unless it is unfiltered favoritism, my guess is they always ask about such favors. While your circumstance comes up more rarely, so they don't expect you to do that all the time.

Also. Pet peeve. People who use the word narcissist/sociopath=bad person. Stop it. You are just lowering the bar for public understanding of psychology. It's obnoxious, arrogant and annoying. Say what you mean instead of trying to inflate your opinion with armchair psychology.

Look at this narcissistic sociopath over here.

Seriously though, it’s those two and the term “abuse” which I get is kind of a joke around these parts (sometimes) but still. There are other words for people and things that are bad or hurtful. In many cases, more accurate ones.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's especially true for the word Psychopath - which means someone who's brain doesn't physically work properly and therefore cannot chemically make itself empathise with others - it's a physiological mental illness, like Schizophrenia, one that needs management, and a lot of them do manage it. The main problem is that people don't consider that they can understand even if they can't empathise, it just means they have to learn it. Often that results in someone much more in tune with other people than someone with empathy, because with empathy comes the varying -isms (ie Racism and Sexism) that Psychopaths don't tend to be affected by.

It's not easy to understand, but if you put in the effort the understanding will come. Which makes society's reaction to psychopaths in and of itself psychopathic (because someone who can empathise finds it very difficult to turn it off unless you go full sociopath, and even then the prior biases will still be intact).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Midig posted:

This was a manager who was completely new and within a month said no to kid babysitter issue, yes to cat, no to pregnant lady for pregnancy sickness.

Same job but totally different: rumors at work. I have been sniffling like crazy due to allergies and apparently someone started a rumor that I do coke apparently. Uh sorry my body sucks but I don’t do drugs. Everyone looks at me weird anyways though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

Psychopath - which means someone who's brain doesn't physically work properly and therefore cannot chemically make itself empathise with others
No it doesn't. The word "psychopath" is not a technical/medical term and it has about a billion different definitions that all contradict each other.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
When someone posts something obviously fake on Facebook and you post a Snopes link or something else disproving it and they’re like “I don’t agree with it, I just thought it was interesting.”

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ghost emoji posted:

When someone posts something obviously fake on Facebook and you post a Snopes link or something else disproving it and they’re like “I don’t agree with it, I just thought it was interesting.”

Just say you think it's interesting that they gently caress kids.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ghost emoji posted:

Personally, I love to amplify viewpoints I'm morally opposed to.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
At least they don't go off on a "(((snopes)))" globalist lieberal conspiracy rant like people on my facebook. It's dumb to do the "ok its fake but it makes u think" angle, but it's another level to double down and deny facts that are right in front of your face.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Psychopathy is a personality disorder and nothing like schizophrenia.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

ghost emoji posted:

"Yeah but it could have been true!" is what I see most often after debunking someone's stupid post.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
The last time I snopesed my mom somebody butted in with that XKCD comic but I'm too tired to tell if it's being serious or making an ironic joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ghost emoji posted:

My Facebook feed has become the 2018 equivalent of the 1990s chain emails.