Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

value-brand cereal posted:

Hey, do you guys want to see a house specifically designed to hate and loathe disabled people and people who use walkers / wheelchairs? That's marketed to lengthen your lifespan? Oh boy! It's call the Bioscleave house, and some of you probably have heard of it already. Have some pictures.

https://bhshamptons.com/east-hampton-ny-4-bedroom-home-for-sale-106534-10411122/

This has the floor plan in it:
https://architizer.com/projects/bioscleave-house-lifespan-extending-villa/

This is the kitchen btw:

You have to walk over bumpy concrete(?) to get to it.

"Japanese rammed earth," according to the listing.

Why yes, I want to clamber over a bumpy sinkhole on my way to any other room in the house, and have my eyes constantly burned by color.
Also, every outlet and switch being tilted is triggering me badly.

I wish I had the money to buy that, dig out and level the central floor, and paint the whole damned house beige, just to irritate the pretentious as gently caress "designers/artists."
Or better still, live in the original A-frame house, and raise wild dingoes or something in the artsy house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

Pulaski is just a blighted old coal town in southwest VA, pretty scenery but there's no industry or anything there now. See also Wytheville, Tazewell, Galax, and Bluefield.

I used to think I77 between Pilot Mountain and Beckley was the emptiest most blighted place on the east coast but then I drove from Williamsport PA to Corning NY without seeing a single artificial light for two hours

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

There are these 3 neat MCM office buildings in my city
https://goo.gl/maps/rJiUFVvBM622

They used to house the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries but have been vacant for a couple years now.

A developer is going to raze all of them to build luxury apartments. Which wouldn't make me nearly as mad if said developer's previous projects didn't all look like poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

I used to think I77 between Pilot Mountain and Beckley was the emptiest most blighted place on the east coast but then I drove from Williamsport PA to Corning NY without seeing a single artificial light for two hours

Turn on your headlights.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

shame on an IGA posted:

Try driving thru rural Montana at night.

No, sincerely, do that. It's amazing :yayclod: It's also a place where you can drive for 8 hours, not interact with another human aside from maybe raising two fingers off the wheel to wave at someone on a dirt road, and still be within the same quadrant of the state where you started.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah those, or whatever they used in the 70s

Do not gently caress with those or the old rubber ones. I almost lost my eye to one. I attached it to a cardboard box handle hole (mistake number one) and then pulled it over and onto a hand truck. I was pulling it to my car to unload the stack when it came flying off and smashed the lens on my glasses and sliced my cornea. Thats (2) scarred cornea's so now Lasik for me, ever. I only use ratchet straps now.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Try driving thru rural Montana at night.

No, sincerely, do that. It's amazing :yayclod:

One time I drove nonstop with my partner at the time from Dallas to Las Vegas. Left around 9am, saw the last Texas State Trooper and the last green plant on the western outskirts of Fort Worth, and pretty much held it at 90 from then on. Saw one cop car after I left DFW -- a city cop in downtown ABQ at like midnight. Drove across the high desert in the dark, the sunrise brought the Krazy Kat/Roadrunner & Coyote/ Spaceman Spiff landscapes of the Mojave. It was magical.

We also drove up to see my partner's family in upstaye NY a couple times, but they were more grueling than fun, what with traffic amd having to obey the speed limit and all. Road trips out west are epic.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I present to you...the Gobbler

http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/

This is an actual rabbit hole you'll spend at least 30 minutes reading and clicking through.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Goober Peas posted:

This is an actual rabbit hole you'll spend at least 30 minutes reading and clicking through.

Lileks is always pro click

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
They claim it's the grooviest motel in Wisconsin, but they've got some stiff competition from the Don Q Inn.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Goober Peas posted:

My family used to eat there on the drive from northern Wisconsin to Chicago all through the 60s and 70s.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

:psyduck: bet this was fun to build

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Care to explain to us what this signifies? Heights? Lengths? Or just an irregular grid?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All I can tell is that every single measurement is different from every other one.

And they're all weird measurements, too. 11.58, 2.93, 3.78.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If you've seen a site in the early stages of construction, you'll have seen stringlines running across the site showing where the walls and corners are. 99% of the time these are all parallel aside from the occasional angled exterior wall to fit an odd shaped lot or occasional houses with 135° bends. Judging from the fact that there are multiple lines at odd angles through the whole thing , the whole thing is going to be feature walls at crazy angles.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 11, 2018

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

A developer is going to raze all of them to build luxury apartments. Which wouldn't make me nearly as mad if said developer's previous projects didn't all look like poo poo.

Why the gently caress is almost every single one of them named Clairmont?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

packetmantis posted:

Why the gently caress is almost every single one of them named Clairmont?

Clairmont or Belmont (apparently the new development will be another Belmont). They wanted the names to be equally as bland as their taste in architecture.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Probably all developed for the same client. Retirement village operator perhaps?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TheLastManStanding posted:

They claim it's the grooviest motel in Wisconsin, but they've got some stiff competition from the Don Q Inn.

I'd bone a chick in the back of that caddy.

I'm kinda pissed about the Don Q Inn though. I was hoping for a Zorro themed hotel that was built by Douglas Fairbanks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wesleywillis posted:

I'd bone a chick in the back of that caddy.

I'm kinda pissed about the Don Q Inn though. I was hoping for a Zorro themed hotel that was built by Douglas Fairbanks.

No, that would be more along the lines of the Don Quix Hotel.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All I can tell is that every single measurement is different from every other one.

And they're all weird measurements, too. 11.58, 2.93, 3.78.

It's metric... but normally surveyors and civil engineers do decimals anyway. It throws me off to read decimal feet, but I guess decimals with meters isn't all that bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jaguars! posted:

:psyduck: bet this was fun to build

Wonder if that's one of those luxury apartments where every single inch of space is built out on, so you get poo poo like Floorplans A-D, with each having a .1-4 due to the dumb variances that result.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

right angles are for pussies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

right angles are for pussies

Right angles sound terrible for pussies

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Bloop posted:

Right angles sound terrible for pussies

Can confirm, pussies really prefer rounded off edges. Get the router and power sander!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bevel me baluster!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jaguars! posted:

Probably all developed for the same client. Retirement village operator perhaps?

Retirement home for vampire hunters.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Suspect Bucket posted:

Can confirm, pussies really prefer rounded off edges. Get the router and power sander!

I mean I've seen some extreme sex toys but this seems like a step too far.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fender Anarchist posted:

Then stay away from the website "loving machines dot com".

Assuming its still around.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

wesleywillis posted:

Assuming its still around.

That definitely threw me off the scent, your secret fetish is safe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Blacksmithing/Metalwork thread: anything for penetration MUST be anodized

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fender Anarchist posted:

An old Adult Swim show (Moral Orel) had this as a plot point -- lady takes power tools to her bits because she likes the attention from the doctor.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

GotLag posted:

That definitely threw me off the scent, your secret fetish is safe.

Heard about it on Howard Stern show, but I'll admit curiosity got the better of me once or twice.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
They are redoing all the landscaping at our co-op, since when it was built in 1962 they didn't believe in things like groundwater retention etc. There have been a few instances of crappy construction so far. Last week they severed our cable because Comcast buried it about an inch under the ground instead of two feet. Last week our basement sprung a muddy water leak because they were dumping all the old concrete next to our house (we're an end unit) which jiggled something lose somewhere. But the most egregious thing is that the dividers between each bit of new concrete don't line up properly. That's going to drive me insane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love those mid-century metal sun-shade-privacy-grill things.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Brise soleil

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Goober Peas posted:

Oh, no you don't. I don't have the time to dig back into Lileks.
The '70s catalog collection, and the museum of bad recipes are amazing. God Lord the '70s had zero taste.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Childhood me wants this badly.

Baronjutter posted:

I love those mid-century metal sun-shade-privacy-grill things.

Yeah, I'm digging that architecture, too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

An old Adult Swim show (Moral Orel) had this as a plot point -- lady takes power tools to her bits because she likes the attention from the doctor.

Morel Orel was a documentary, even more so than Squidbillies.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Darchangel posted:

Oh, no you don't. I don't have the time to dig back into Lileks.
The '70s catalog collection, and the museum of bad recipes are amazing. God Lord the '70s had zero taste.

Childhood me wants this badly.

Yeah, I'm digging that architecture, too.

Thanks, it is kinda neat. The development was part of the first urban renewal project in the country, and was a joint project with HUD and Reynolds Aluminum (building material of the future!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yeah think I need a GFCI there...