Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
you cre ated it

and its reeeeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tighclops posted:

you cre ated it

and its reeeeal

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Minidust posted:

Was Klingon blood ever depicted as pink outside of The Undiscovered Country? Wondering if they ever addressed that in-universe, or if if was simply retconned for not being :black101: enough.

It was pink in Klingon Honor Guard and that's canon enough for me.

Wonder what it would take to get my PC to run my old disc, since it's one of the Trek games not on GOG. Wanna chop me up some Andorians.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Star Trek Enterprise S04E07-S04E09 (The Forge, Awakening, Kir'Shara three-parter) is Star Trek at its best. It has a return to the "averting a cold war between the Federation and a star empire turning into a hot war" type storylines from TOS, TNG, and Season 3 of DS9, except on a smaller scale with Vulcan and Andoria. The set of Enterprise is too dark in most of its episodes, but not here. They did a great job with the make-up by giving the Vulcans iridescent green scars and bruises. The sunlit scenes with the Vulcan High Command have gorgeous decorations with majestic red marble and gold, with sunlight coming in through the window.

The only negative aspect are series-wide issues, like how Trip Tucker is a knockoff Captain Kirk with a Southern accent, and Captain Archer is already similar enough that there's only room for one in the cast. Also, Travis and Malcolm should switch roles. All Malcolm ever does is act cynical and give up hope so that the others look better, offer up a bad idea so that the commanding officer can overrule it, or they do "buttmonkey" jokes by giving him bad luck or making him spacesick, while Travis has the interesting Spacer background that would've been worth appearing more often.

Edit: There's an interesting parallel in how Vulcan is a hot desert planet with cold and calculating Vulcans, and Andoria is an icy planet with hot-tempered Andorians.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 11, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The thing with Mayweather is that they gave him one or two episodes in the first couple seasons and quickly discover that the actor was terrible. He can’t do any kind of emotional work in the role so they just relegate him to the Harry Kim ghetto forever.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

The thing with Mayweather is that they gave him one or two episodes in the first couple seasons and quickly discover that the actor was terrible. He can’t do any kind of emotional work in the role so they just relegate him to the Harry Kim ghetto forever.

Imagine a time travel episode where Harry Kim picks up Mayweather in the Delta Flyer. You've got an ace pilot in a pilot's shuttlecraft, and you have Ensign Human right there to fix things if they break. And if they're easy to fix. And if drama doesn't depend on it not getting fixed.

Just think, a whole episode where they play off each other's characters' and actors' strengths. People would have watched that episode and said, "That sure was an episode I just saw!"

This idea sounds almost too true to be good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think I’d rather drink bleach

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Guys I’m happy to report I have like 5% faith in my heart. Let’s just hope I make it to 100% before I kill myself.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Effectively nothing. Paramount and CBS have still always been owned by National Amusements; it's just legal fuckery that makes Paramount produce Trek movies under license from CBS. The bigger issue is with Sumner and Shari Redstone: The old man is steadfastly refusing to reunite the companies--I believe due to tax purposes--while his daughter wants to formally bring them back together.

Shari Redstone wants to remerge the companies, but part of the Moonves settlement is (for some reason) an 18 month hold on discussions of that.

Sumner Redstone just wants applesauce and a diaper change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

Shari Redstone wants to remerge the companies, but part of the Moonves settlement is (for some reason) an 18 month hold on discussions of that.

Sumner Redstone just wants applesauce and a diaper change.
A bit odd for Moonves to get something he wants in a situation where he had little leverage.

Even better, apparently he's going to get his golden parachute while an investigation is pending into the harassment claims.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

One of these Andorians taking over the Vulcan monastery sounds just like Weyoun.

E: that’s because it is Jeffery Combs what do ya know

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 11, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Windows 98 posted:

One of these Andorians taking over the Vulcan monastery sounds just like Weyoun.

HHMHMmhmhmmhmm

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Windows 98 posted:

E: that’s because it is Jeffery Combs what do ya know

My Man Shran.

Andorians were the best part of ENT.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
jcombs is the best part of whatever

still mega pissed there's no weyoun figurine

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
But a Re-Animator figure and give him purple googly eyes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But a Re-Animator figure and give him purple googly eyes

there's always a weird star trek figurine section in the back of any weird old collectibles shop, i was thinking of making one from someone else. depends on who all is available. i do have a dukat who currently hangs out in my catnip plant but there he shall stay

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if you don't have star trek characters hidden around ur stuff like a crossover between an Eye Spy book and a TNG Season 8 tweet, you have lost the heart of a child

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

sorry, I posted in the wrong thread

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's always nice to see the original Probert Enterprise-C design show up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

That's a pretty ship, the canon Ent-C is garbage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Why is Combs not in DIS yet?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

A bit odd for Moonves to get something he wants in a situation where he had little leverage.

Even better, apparently he's going to get his golden parachute while an investigation is pending into the harassment claims.

I think it's less Moonves wanting no merger and more board members/other shareholders appending this onto the Moonves negotiations like Congress attaching an unrelated farm spending bit onto a defense bill.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Actually it's after the investigation, if they clear him. They'll probably clear him, but at least it has the appearance of them doing the right thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

Why is Combs not in DIS yet?

I vote Combs as the rotating captain for season 3. He’s not playing a character, he’s just literally actor Jeffery Combs commanding the Discovery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

That ship is gorgeous and if it werent for the slightly slightly over-busy nacelles, I might say it is in the running for best Trek ship

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Goddamn they need to get Andy Probert on Discovery

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

It was originally an Enterprise-D concept - IIRC it was something Probert had painted for fun, and Roddenberry liked it so much that it became the stepping-off point for the final design.

I like it, but at the same time I'm glad it wasn't used for the D. At the time I had a thoroughly reactionary dislike of the new ship - "it's different, and therefore wrong!" - but now I appreciate it for pushing further away from what had been established in TOS and the movies. The original Probert design, while good (and it looks really nice in that new render), was just a rejig of existing ships.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Guycot posted:

My Man Shran.

Andorians were the best part of ENT.

Yep. Shran is the best and every Andorian episode is good, I don't care how anti-ENT you are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Shran is the best and every Andorian episode is good, I don't care how anti-ENT you are.

If you don’t like Jeffrey Combs get the gently caress out of Star Trek

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

First couple Shran episodes are rough imo. Still decent by season one standards but the episode where I started to really like him was Proving Ground.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Isn’t the first Shran episode the Vulcan monastery one? That’s a good one.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

I think it's less Moonves wanting no merger and more board members/other shareholders appending this onto the Moonves negotiations like Congress attaching an unrelated farm spending bit onto a defense bill.

I see what you did there. :mad:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Isn’t the first Shran episode the Vulcan monastery one? That’s a good one.

Andorian Incident is alright (probably the best episode of a deeply crappy season), but not so much because of Shran as because of the twist.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DrNutt posted:

The decon scenes make so much more sense if you imagine the whole show as Riker's holographic simulation.

On the real NX-01 T'Pol wore a regular uniform.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

skasion posted:

Andorian Incident is alright (probably the best episode of a deeply crappy season), but not so much because of Shran as because of the twist.

I did like that ending a lot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Have a Riker cake

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1039652581478424576

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if it had cellular peptide frosting? :allears:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Daedalus (ENT S04E10) is a good transporter ghost story with good guest characters. Even Porthos seemed not approve of what's going on with the transporter, judging by the whimper when Archer entered.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

If you don’t like Jeffrey Combs get the gently caress out of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

DrNutt posted:

The decon scenes make so much more sense if you imagine the whole show as Riker's holographic simulation.

I’ve seen her N’Pols