Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

What level do you fight the spider boss.

I fought it around 18-19 but it was pretty brutal because RNG sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

I fought it around 18-19 but it was pretty brutal because RNG sucks.

yea I did it at that range and won with my hero and healer dying at the literal last round due to that AoE attack and Sylvando getting a lucky crit

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm at what's probably the door to the final boss and am missing 3 recipe books. A bunch of other stuff too, but that's what I care about. I doubt anyone here remembers where they pick up their books, but just in case: I'm missing the second to last one (before the Trodain book, so technically the last one), the one between Good Godly Gear and An Album Of Imperial Attire and the one between How to Outdo the Undead and The Devil's in the Details.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I was getting my rear end handed to me pretty hard by the spider boss I wanna say around level 20, mostly because I was incredibly stubborn about having everyone alive at the end of it but he just refused to let Veronica and Erik stay up long enough to get healed. Eventually managed it though.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm at what's probably the door to the final boss and am missing 3 recipe books. A bunch of other stuff too, but that's what I care about. I doubt anyone here remembers where they pick up their books, but just in case: I'm missing the second to last one (before the Trodain book, so technically the last one), the one between Good Godly Gear and An Album Of Imperial Attire and the one between How to Outdo the Undead and The Devil's in the Details.

Gamefaqs made a google doc that lists all the recipe locations, among other things:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pGQGO9M_OLNstXbY45t1_zMDCLpiw8pwB7y8fM3IKkA/htmlview?sle=true

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

PureRok posted:

Where's this, so I can I go there?

It's the island in the northeast corner of the map.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Is there a collection of the loading screen tips/blurbs anywhere? There looks like interesting tidbits in there, but it goes by too quick to read. :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

LostRook posted:

Gamefaqs made a google doc that lists all the recipe locations, among other things:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pGQGO9M_OLNstXbY45t1_zMDCLpiw8pwB7y8fM3IKkA/htmlview?sle=true

Thanks, got em. Man, this Post-Game might as well be Part 3, it seems to have a lot of stuff in it. Can't believe Sylvano doesn't get his full skill grid until then lmao.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Found the spider boss was very susceptible to poison (surprisingly) and Erik's 6x poison knives skill was hitting it for exactly 420 damage a pop every time

also no one made a case for Serena earlier and I wanna say kabuff and her elemental resistance skills still make her great for bosses. 2x stacked buff reduces the damage you take by a lot!

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 11, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Words cannot describe how annoyed I am at the lack of an evolution Greatsword. Come on, game, it's one of TWO weapon types the main character can you use! Why skimp on it!?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Words cannot describe how annoyed I am at the lack of an evolution Greatsword. Come on, game, it's one of TWO weapon types the main character can you use! Why skimp on it!?

Because true heroes use 1H swords. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Infinity Gaia posted:

as far as I know the Hero always uses a sword and shield in the end

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The greatsword skills are so much better in this game though, dammit. So much better!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just let the hero 1H greatswords. Problem solved.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The hero should have gotten a shield tree at the very least.

Post game question: Where's the best place to grind Exp? There's like a 20 level difference between Hero and the rest of the party.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 11, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GrandpaPants posted:

Post game question: Where's the best place to grind Exp? There's like a 20 level difference between Hero and the rest of the party.

Just follow the main quest for now, they will catch up eventually. You'll know when.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
So, I've been messing around with a Spear Serena and I'm actually kinda surprised how well it works.

She's not going to overtake Jade (or the hero with a greatsword for that matter) but she feels on par or better than Erik during his mid-game slump. And if I give her the lightning spear that Jade has been rocking for the past 6 hours she does pretty good damage. I could go get 2nd spear I suppose if I wanted to.

And her healing doesn't feel as gimped as I thought it might be. Evidently Magic mending scores don't have as much of a dramatic difference as attack scores. Also let's her shine in a way since her healing feels surpassed by Rab right now (seriously, he get's multiheal FIRST?! She's supposed to be the freaking main healer).

And nothing says I can't switch to wand + shield for boss fights I suppose.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

God the second overworld theme is TONS better than the first one. Why must it be relegated to "post-game", dammit!?

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Because that moment is where DQ3 fans nerdgasm so they had to save it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

God the second overworld theme is TONS better than the first one. Why must it be relegated to "post-game", dammit!?

It kind of makes it clear that it's not just the samples being bad, but the actual compositions in the game are just poo poo.

Also good lord this is a lot of post game content.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has anyone seen the G0 rarified Killing Machine in the Snærfield? I've been grinding Killing Machine encounters for nearly an hour now, and still haven't seen anything of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Broken Cog posted:

Has anyone seen the G0 rarified Killing Machine in the Snærfield? I've been grinding Killing Machine encounters for nearly an hour now, and still haven't seen anything of it.

Yeah, the very first Killing Machine encounter I got into after picking up that quest had one. I had to mass murder a lot of sprite bulbs in the Forest, though..

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Equip the Wings of Serendipity if you haven't already.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
serena's status immunity skill is very useful for rear end in a top hat hardmode status bosses. many of these bosses use multiple disabling status ailments, so curing them is a pain in the rear end since they require different skills.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, the very first Killing Machine encounter I got into after picking up that quest had one. I had to mass murder a lot of sprite bulbs in the Forest, though..

That's pretty funny, because it was the exact opposite for me. First batch of sprites had the Wight Sprite.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

What level do you fight the spider boss.

I was like 18-19 and struggled with it pretty bad - I'd definitely grind up higher than that unless you want pain.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I love how easy it is to get some of these 6 macguffins. They could have made this incredibly tedious like some of the novigrad quests in the Witcher. For a long game it respects your time very well.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Finally hit a boss that almost made me ditch hardmode

But then I knuckled down, and did what I enjoy about turnbased games. Dug up information on some of the skill mechanics, rebuilt my team, and then beat the hell out of that boss with a schoogirl shooting heart lasers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I wish I was playing on PC so I could toggle Draconian Quest modifiers on as desired. I feel like the leap between normal difficulty and Stronger Monsters is big enough that it's pretty possible to fall somewhere in between, and I would love to have that option. The best middle ground would be to turn on hard mode when things are easy, turn it back off when they get grindy, and turn it back on if it starts to get easy again, but sadly that option isn't available. :smith:

Anyway, actual discussion stuff: what are people's favorite weapons for Jade and Rab? I'm guessing spears for Jade because she looks rad as hell with them and spears own, but I also think someone should be using claws. How's Rab with claws? (Yes, I know respeccing is easy, but buying/crafting good weapons costs resources so I'd rather switch back and forth as little as possible :v:)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Ok, the cutscene sequence in the second half where you get Sylvando back is the best sequence in Dragon Quest history.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Ok, the cutscene sequence in the second half where you get Sylvando back is the best sequence in Dragon Quest history.

who is your favorite character and why is it sylvando?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would wear mardi garb on my hero all the time if it didn't disable sprinting. instead, i wear it for important cutscenes.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Anyway, actual discussion stuff: what are people's favorite weapons for Jade and Rab? I'm guessing spears for Jade because she looks rad as hell with them and spears own, but I also think someone should be using claws. How's Rab with claws? (Yes, I know respeccing is easy, but buying/crafting good weapons costs resources so I'd rather switch back and forth as little as possible :v:)
For Jade, nothing. Invest all in Allure. e: to clarify: use both. If you're going to use a normal attack to just deal some free damage, use claws. They tend to deal a bit more damage than spears. On the other hand, if you're going to use Hip Drop for a little bigger physical attack, then switch to a spear, since it rolls on your combined attack stat, making Claws relatively poor damage, given claws serve more of a 1.7x base STR multiplier (the weapon damage itself is low). All of the other special Allure skills are pure Charm, and don't care about your weapon - equip whatever gives the best stat boosts.

For Rab, I'm rolling Heavy Wands, because he has so many spells, and until Kazing, Zing Stick too good. After Kazing, I'll probably roll Claws though.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 11, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Jade is my main damage dealer with spears due to multi thrust and Ice Crash. Throw an oomph on her, and she can easily deal 1200+ damage every round.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I just got Sylvando and I'm maxing his Charm stat and racing towards Hustle Dance because duh. It sounds like there's a lot of overlap between what characters can do and it's a little confusing as to what role everyone should fill.

I'm a specializer so I identify the highest stat a new character has then crank that single stat as high as I currently can and just go.

I take it the idea is to just use respecing to experiment with different character and party builds?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Any roulette tip other than doing the 200 coin table with one token on every number and the chest until scoring the jackpot? My brain doesn't do mathemagics for calculating its algorithm.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Last night, really late, I got the magic key and Rab was like, well, let's not go too crazy with the treasure-hunting, we got some doohickeys to find, and I'm like, dammit, old man, you don't understand, now I have to go open every red door I can find, it's an IMPERATIVE.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I love that the game trolls you by putting a locked door RIGHT where you get the magic key, but the magic key doesn't open it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Last night, really late, I got the magic key and Rab was like, well, let's not go too crazy with the treasure-hunting, we got some doohickeys to find, and I'm like, dammit, old man, you don't understand, now I have to go open every red door I can find, it's an IMPERATIVE.

It is your sacred duty as a Dragon Quest protagonist to immediately comb the entire world for things you can now open. This is how it always has been and how it always must be. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Jade spears, yeah. Multithrust, Party Pooper, Thunder Thrust and later Lightning Thrust. I love her spear skills.

Rab I found too weak with claws atm so I went heavy wands to maximize Zam damage and of course for Zing Stick.

Btw there is merit in respecing. Some panels have bonus skill points hidden under them that you keep even after respecing.