Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

packetmantis posted:

Disclaimer: The Fifth Element is my favorite movie of all time and I rewatch it constantly. It's full of little moments, but one I somehow just noticed is from early on. When Korben is in his apartment talking to his mom, he lights up a cigarette with a match and the camera lingers on the single match left in the package. (Given the linger I'm not sure this counts as subtle but I just noticed it.) In the end when they're trying to activate the stones the last match is the one they end up using.

drat, you discovered they main setup and payoff of the movie!

But seriously, TFE is also my favorite movie despite Luc Besson being.... so very French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Disclaimer: The Fifth Element is my favorite movie of all time and I rewatch it constantly. It's full of little moments, but one I somehow just noticed is from early on. When Korben is in his apartment talking to his mom, he lights up a cigarette with a match and the camera lingers on the single match left in the package. (Given the linger I'm not sure this counts as subtle but I just noticed it.) In the end when they're trying to activate the stones the last match is the one they end up using.

I also like that in the future cigarettes are about 75% filter, 25% tobacco.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Beautifully lavish and somewhat narratively muddled.

I like that his cigarettes have giant filters and tiny tobacco rolls. Maybe there's a shortage.

Never thought I'd get an efb on this, but here we are

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Ends up the secret to not getting cancer is a filter that's 2/3rd the size of the cigarette.

It just occurred to me that I've never seen TFE in high definition.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does Oldman's character also have cigs with huge filters? It's been too long since I saw the film so I don't remember if he even smokes, but it would be a neat way to show class and lifestyle differences if the working stiff has to use cigarettes that are mostly filter while the wealthy guy doesn't.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I imagined it as cigarette companies slowly reducing the amount of tobacco in cigarettes over hundreds of years to increase profits.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The filter is actually a twix for an after smoke snack.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krispy Wafer posted:

It doesn’t matter if the Arachnids shot a plasma bolt into an asteroid field to push a rock into South America (they did). It’s whether the Federation let the rock hit on purpose.

And why are Mormons the most space faring religion? Starship Troopers, the Expanse, and the OG Battlestar Galactica (Greek mythology but created by Mormons and meant to represent their flight).

Pretty sure the mormon's were huge on westward expansion. If you accept space as a frontier,

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I thought the point of the huge filters was that Korben was trying to quit them. "To quit is my goal" and all that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TFE is a trash movie for trash people and I will loving fight anyone about it

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Naw I’m playing, liking things is awesome and I’m glad my friends here enjoy it

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Screaming Idiot posted:

EDIT: nevermind, not opening this can of worms, but Seanbaby is Extremely Not Good

Username delivers.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

citybeatnik posted:

I thought the point of the huge filters was that Korben was trying to quit them. "To quit is my goal" and all that.

Ya, the filters are explicitly established as there because Korbin is quitting.

The movie does a great job with low-tech/hi-tech with things like cigarettes being lit by wooden matches.

A semi-irritating thing is that the Priest lives in what appears to be a building that is from the mid-20th century. Thing is, by that point it would be as old as something from 1800 to us and yet it looks like a 30 year old building from the wear and tear. That thing should be falling apart.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

oldpainless posted:

Naw I’m playing, liking things is awesome and I’m glad my friends here enjoy it

More like old friend-list :3:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pook Good Mook posted:

The movie does a great job with low-tech/hi-tech with things like cigarettes being lit by wooden matches.

A semi-irritating thing is that the Priest lives in what appears to be a building that is from the mid-20th century. Thing is, by that point it would be as old as something from 1800 to us and yet it looks like a 30 year old building from the wear and tear. That thing should be falling apart.

Futuristic renovation tech.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Fifth Element is extremely cool and good despite Luc Besson being a creepy sex weird who had a kid with Maïwenn Le Besco when she was 16 and he was 31.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure in France that's considered late.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And he left that model (the woman who played The Diva) for the lead actress because of that film. I don't know if he left her before or after she had his kid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure in France that's considered late.

Macron (the president) has a 24-25 year gap with his wife who he met when he was 15 and she was his teacher.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IUG posted:

And he left that model (the woman who played The Diva) for the lead actress because of that film. I don't know if he left her before or after she had his kid.

4-ish years after. Luc Besson is a gross man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

TFE is a trash movie for trash people and I will loving fight anyone about it

More like oldjoyless

E:fb on the followup though

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

You've never been to Europe, have you?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The CRT monitors really haven't aged well for that movie.

I guess the joke could be that these poor non-technical priests use 300 year old displays.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is a movie where humanity's outer space border has a row of blinking lights and you're getting irritated by a priest's choice of home décor?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I thought the cigarette filter ratio thing and the "quitting is my goal" were supposed to indicate a disincentivization of smoking thing where the only way you can get cigarettes is in that format, like a logical extension of the smokers lungs on Marlboro packs in the UK and Canada.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silly Newbie posted:

I thought the cigarette filter ratio thing and the "quitting is my goal" were supposed to indicate a disincentivization of smoking thing where the only way you can get cigarettes is in that format, like a logical extension of the smokers lungs on Marlboro packs in the UK and Canada.

That was actually extremely sensible. And having McDonalds be a burlesque show

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Silly Newbie posted:

Yeah, I took it as an extension of putting warnings on the packs here, coupled with a new-agey Positive Affirmation™ thing that would have been a common target in the '90s. It sounds very proto-Positive Psychology.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is a movie where humanity's outer space border has a row of blinking lights and you're getting irritated by a priest's choice of home décor?

As opposed to 4 pages devoted to the military tactics of space bugs.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Not really a subtle movie moment but it is awesome I reckon: In the Fifth Element, Korben Dallas and Zorg never actually meet or interact in any way. The closest they get is being on separate elevators on the cruise ship. Are there any other movies that do that with the protagonist and antagonist?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Burn After Reading, where the guy in charge of everything not only never meets the protagonists, he never knows they exist or that he's supposed to be in some sort of conflict with them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I don't think Tommy Lee Jones ever meets up with Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It takes a bunch of movies before Bond ever meets Blofeld.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Imagined posted:

I don't think Tommy Lee Jones ever meets up with Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.

I think he almost does, but he walks away.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Not really a subtle movie moment but it is awesome I reckon: In the Fifth Element, Korben Dallas and Zorg never actually meet or interact in any way. The closest they get is being on separate elevators on the cruise ship. Are there any other movies that do that with the protagonist and antagonist?

No Country For Old Men, the three leads never meet face to face the entire movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ferrule posted:

As opposed to 4 pages devoted to the military tactics of space bugs.

The arachnids would be smart enough to realize that waging war against Korben Dallas would be a bad idea.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Schneider Inside Her posted:

That's really cool... The first thing that leaps to mind is the Professional (probably because of Gary Oldman on the brain), where Leon and he don't see each other until the final seconds. Doesn't quite fit the zero-contact thing though. Hm.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Wait, do Moss and Chiguhr actually meet in No Country for Old Men?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Wait, do Moss and Chiguhr actually meet in No Country for Old Men?

They're in the hotel together but they don't see each other (maybe Moss sees Chigurh as a silhouette in the window)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His hotel room door is popped open with the pneumatic bolt gun then he shoots the door and runs iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
They shoot at (and hit) each other a bunch of times, I think that counts as "meeting" even though they're in no mood to talk.