Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I remember this one time he said some things on a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

From the GBS thread:

Those sandbags are in for some work :lol:

Can we assume erosion caused the water to come up to the houses like that, or is this case of rich people taking "I want a house on the water" a bit too literally.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Can we assume erosion caused the water to come up to the houses like that, or is this case of rich people taking "I want a house on the water" a bit too literally.

Little A, little B

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad all the rich peoples houses will be destroyed but it's a shame about the other 99% of the people but who cares they are poor and should have worked harder

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Duzzy Funlop posted:

From the GBS thread:

Because the hurricane will smash them into the houses, right? And they aren't high enough to offer real protection anyway?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Torrannor posted:

Because the hurricane will smash them into the houses, right? And they aren't high enough to offer real protection anyway?

Just the 2nd part.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m beginning to think a cement pad and a RV would be a better solution for beach front living.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

From the GBS thread:

Looking forward to the 'after' picture where it's just the sandbags

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Torrannor posted:

Let's just say that digging a moat would be more helpful.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Torrannor posted:

First, describe the problem in terms of mass of sediment that you think a Cat 4 Hurricane parking over the Carolinas will move, and then consider that dumb little pile of sandbags in terms of a ratio to that total sediment mass.

Now, consider the amount of energy that the ocean is gonna convert to moving sediment around over the course of the next few weeks across the Carolinas and out to sea. Consider how much energy a hurricane has, within the context of the hurricane being a whole lot of water vapor, i.e. full of the latent energy that turned it from seawater into a giant America loving spinning cloud

To answer you, the sandbag might get dragged by seawater into causing physical damage, and the sea is probably gonna be plenty higher than that, but the sandbag wall just ignores by literal orders of magnitude the scope of the problem that homeowner is facing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mmm subsidized insurance for millionaires. Can't wait to see how they rebuild these oceanfront homes

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Thanks for the replies, that's about what I thought.

How do these people get insurance for their houses? No rational insurance company will want to insure that mess, it's just a matter of time until a hurricane comes knocking.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They're starting not to.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Thanks for the replies, that's about what I thought.

How do these people get insurance for their houses? No rational insurance company will want to insure that mess, it's just a matter of time until a hurricane comes knocking.

John Oliver has you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf1t7cs9dkc

TLDW

The government subsidizes flood insurance, which rich people use as a well-fare check to keep rebuilding vacation homes for themselves even if they get destroyed every 5-10 years.. However, as flooding / climate change gets worse flood insurance also gets more expensive, meaning that while it is still a welf-fare check for the wealthy, its too expensive for poors so they are hosed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m beginning to think a cement pad and a RV would be a better solution for beach front living.

We've been thinking of maybe something like that with a storage unit inland or just a real cheap-o condo on a hill with a vehicle loaded up and storage inland if we still have enough we care about to need it. Yes, I'm in my thirties and very busy figuring out how I'm going to try to enjoy wasting away from this Earth.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm past Chapter 4 of Woodward's book, and...I don't think I can take this.

I mean, is there anything else worthwhile reading in this book outside of the confirmation, in excruciatingly-vivid detail, the incomprehensible idiocy going on in Trump's campaign, administration, and mind that we already know of?

It's beyond sanity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

From the GBS thread:

Gotta admire their optimism. Logic, no. But the optimism is off the loving charts.

LingcodKilla posted:

I actually like this idea.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Godholio posted:

Gotta admire their optimism. Logic, no. But the optimism is off the loving charts.

This is apparently South Topsail Beach, by the way.

Which is located roughly here

Hardest working sandbags in showbiz

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This is apparently South Topsail Beach, by the way.

Which is located roughly here

Hardest working sandbags in showbiz

All the rainwater, to the sandbags as it flows downhill back toward the beech: [that quote about how i'm not stuck in here with you, you're stuck in here with me]

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DownByTheWooter posted:

To answer you, the sandbag might get dragged by seawater into causing physical damage, and the sea is probably gonna be plenty higher than that, but the sandbag wall just ignores by literal orders of magnitude the scope of the problem that homeowner is facing.

Right on. What Ron White said about the wind applies. It's not that the waves ares rolling, it's what the waves are rolling.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

All the rainwater, to the sandbags as it flows downhill back toward the beech: [that quote about how i'm not stuck in here with you, you're stuck in here with me]

Yeah, the sandbag wall is only going to last a couple of hours tops once the actual storm starts to hit. They'll start riding beach sand downhill towards the water, and as the surge/rain washes downhill it'll accelerate the process. Not that 3' of protection was going to do poo poo anyway.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

I'd be super happy with an rv on a beachside lot. As long as I could get internet, that is.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I live in Denmark, a country that consists mainly of islands with a highest point of about 200 meters above sea level.

My wife and I am currently planning on selling our house that lies about 50 meters from the ocean and buying a sailboat to live on instead.

The bank just agreed to our financing when we sell the house next year. :coal:

Get hosed land-dwellersI hope you're all safe when the floods hit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I'd be super happy with an rv on a beachside lot. As long as I could get internet, that is.

My retirement dream (dream, because :lol: at actually retiring) has always been "mountains or the beach." If I end up in the mountains, an RV for trips to the beach is actually a really good idea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I used to work with a guy who sold his house and bought an RV and lived out of it full time. He would travel up and down the US trying to stay at around 75F and flew out of whatever the nearest airport was every time he had to work.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

My retirement dream (dream, because :lol: at actually retiring) has always been "mountains or the beach." If I end up in the mountains, an RV for trips to the beach is actually a really good idea.

I would only visit the mountains during fall. Other than that I'm not a mountains guy. So I would do the opposite.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Both Carolina's have now issued mandatory evacuations for coastal areas plus inland areas.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Look as a good Christian conservative, I believe that God would send us a message if we needed to change something about our behavior.

*earthquakes and hurricanes and wildfires and torrential rain at unprecedented levels*

He sent us Trump!!!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
They used to say this stuff was punishment for (whatever slightly leftist thing) but now it's all good, all hail god

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I'm wondering how bad I-64 is going to be coming inland from Hampton Roads... My wife is at a conference there (beachfront hotel) that somehow isn't in a mandatory evac zone, and she's waffling on heading home tonight versus tomorrow afternoon.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
She should have left last night, wtf.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

-Anders posted:

I live in Denmark, a country that consists mainly of islands with a highest point of about 200 meters above sea level.

My wife and I am currently planning on selling our house that lies about 50 meters from the ocean and buying a sailboat to live on instead.

That sounds like a great plan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Godholio posted:

Does the military not provide any kind of pension or is it so little you need another from another job/401k (that's what you call RRSPs?)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

-Anders posted:

The Waterworld plan. I can dig it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Two states' worth of catastrophic flooding, nbd :stare:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Does the military not provide any kind of pension or is it so little you need another from another job/401k (that's what you call RRSPs?)

At 20 years you get 50% of your base pay. I don’t know if it’s your base pay at your retirement date or your highest achieved base pay (if you for some reason got dropped in rank). It goes up by I think 5% for each year after 20 (55% after 21 years, 60% after 22, etc).

Let’s say most enlisted that do 20 get to E-7. The 2019 base pay for an E-7 is $3945.

If you can live off of less than $2000 a month you’ll do alright. Otherwise, and more likely, you’ll need to supplement that somehow, like by working at the commissary because anyone who does 20 is probably dumb enough to work somewhere on base after they retire.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Military retirement is 50% of your base pay (which, depending, might actually be something like 25% of your take home), 75% after 30 years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
and the best part about retiring after 20 is that aside from a few industries you're probably hopelessly behind your peers in trying to start your post-military career

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Bigly Strong Trump canceling trip to Ireland because he's a stupid loving coward lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I wish I had something interesting to say about Florence, but I got nothing. A whole bunch of towns are going to get Joplin'd and the state and federal governments are woefully unprepared and probably uninterested right now to handle the cleanup and rebuilding.

• Locked thread