Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I wouldn't tell someone that its a go tho, Tacoma and Long Beach will make your life miserable if you try to ship anything extra in the car.

Tacoma and Long Beach are jerks, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I wouldn't tell someone that its a go tho, Tacoma and Long Beach will make your life miserable if you try to ship anything extra in the car.

I didnt file my paperwork and customs was like you are so f’d man and I got a guy at Savannah and he was like go to bed I’ll clear this tonight

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Another option is to get a container and put car + whatever else in it. This is more expensive than Ro/Ro and apparently not as easy for clearing Customs, plus if they think you've got drugs or other contraband can rack up some significant fees if it has to be withdrawn from the port.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Another option is to get a container and put car + whatever else in it. This is more expensive than Ro/Ro and apparently not as easy for clearing Customs, plus if they think you've got drugs or other contraband can rack up some significant fees if it has to be withdrawn from the port.

I don’t even think I want to deal with anything but RO RO

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I don’t even think I want to deal with anything but RO RO

Same, and the money I pay to my broker is worth every penny.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Same, and the money I pay to my broker is worth every penny.

Same. Anyone getting in this game just pay people to solve the problems.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

Tacoma and Long Beach are jerks, imho.

Can you import to Seattle or does it have to go through Tacoma? Just curious.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Charles posted:

Can you import to Seattle or does it have to go through Tacoma? Just curious.

Tacoma and Long Beach are the only RORO's (that JCD uses) on the West Coast. Also the Parsifal is the only RORO boat that JCD deals with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tacoma and Long Beach are the only RORO's (that JCD uses) on the West Coast. Also the Parsifal is the only RORO boat that JCD deals with.

Really? I've had at least 3 different Hoeg international ships deliver cars.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hoegh here

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Paging DJ Commie

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hell yes

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How does payment work on these things, do you just wire transfer from your bank?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, that's a clean BG 323....with a BP turbo, drat.

Is 10k yen the sold price? If so that's loving crazy and I need to get one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

How does payment work on these things, do you just wire transfer from your bank?

Yep. It's the bid price, plus any in-Japan transport needed to get it to port, any inspections you've built up, plus ocean insurance and transport, plus JCD fee, sent out as a single lump once they get you an invoice.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow, that's a clean BG 323....with a BP turbo, drat.

Is 10k yen the sold price? If so that's loving crazy and I need to get one.

No, that's the starting bid. It varies so much that I completely ignore it unless it's higher than 1000 USD since then it usually means something. Since the starting bid doesn't have a bearing on a possible reserve I just ignore it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Since the starting bid doesn't have a bearing on a possible reserve I just ignore it.

loving hell, I thought that particular auction perversion was limited to eBay. Why wouldn't you set the opening bid for the minimum you'd let it go for?

EDIT: found a paper that says secret reserve frequently results in lower prices and fewer sales; their experiment was Pokemon cards on eBay.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 11, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh man, I've been waiting a while for GTR in LHD, but would I ever find one in such nice shape?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

Oh man, I've been waiting a while for GTR in LHD, but would I ever find one in such nice shape?

I'm sure someone out there has converted one but uh, they weren't ever sold in LHD were they? Ever?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I send enormous amounts of money by PayPal bc reasons. We tried wire through a service and it’s a long story. Next couple will be wire

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

everdave posted:

I send enormous amounts of money by PayPal bc reasons.
I also must collect via my cash back card no matter what

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I also must collect via my cash back card no matter what

Amex basically begged me to. Zero interest and all the points

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

What's bright yellow, has a red and white striped front and rear, 35271 kms, AC, and a floor-shift manual transmission with ~4 rear wheels~? This 1991 Mazda Bongo that I bought for 718 american dollars.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

What's bright yellow, has a red and white striped front and rear, 35271 kms, AC, and a floor-shift manual transmission with ~4 rear wheels~? This 1991 Mazda Bongo that I bought for 718 american dollars.

I am so gay for this in the best politically correct way possible

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha, that is loving great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

I'm sure someone out there has converted one but uh, they weren't ever sold in LHD were they? Ever?

Yeah they were sold in Europe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go post that in the GBS Bongo thread.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Charles posted:

Yeah they were sold in Europe.

The Skyline GT-R was never manufactured outside Japan, and the sole export markets were Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. It was only ever sold as RHD. There are a handful of overpriced LHD conversions where they did too much work including cutting the dash in half and gluing it back together. I own a RHD R32 GTR. It took me about 1.5 days to get used to driving RHD. You can pay 100k extra or you can suck it up and git gud.

Wanna try it? PM me if you live near the PWN.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 11, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was talking about the Mazda Familia / 323 GTR, sorry, I got too excited to see the GTX and wasn't clear.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

I was talking about the Mazda Familia / 323 GTR, sorry, I got too excited to see the GTX and wasn't clear.

Awww poo poo son.
Then yeah, probably. I know that DJ Commie is convinced they don't exist without incredible rust so I'd assume any nice one is worth going for if that's what you want. RHD is an incredible non-issue though, I know those of us with RHD cars will always say this but I truly can't downplay it enough, and I'm DDing a really tiny low-to-the-ground one.

EDIT
Also I didn't even spend $700 bucks on that Bongo, $673.01.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 11, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

I can't even... gently caress THAT'S COOL!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Imagine how safe you'll be driving around in this thing. Bright yellow with hi-vis chevrons?

SAFETY and CLASS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Imagine how safe you'll be driving around in this thing. Bright yellow with hi-vis chevrons?

SAFETY and CLASS.

Plus if you ever need parking you can just drive into any nearby warehouse and tuck it in with the forklifts for a few hours without anyone being the wiser.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Plus if you ever need parking you can just drive into any nearby warehouse and tuck it in with the forklifts for a few hours without anyone being the wiser.

Leave a hardhat and a clipboard on the passenger seat and you can probably park it wherever the hell you want.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing :vince:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Wanna play that Bongo.

Also as a side note detailing a kei car is cheating. Took less then an hour to completely claybar the Cappuccino.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Wanna play that Bongo.

Also as a side note detailing a kei car is cheating. Took less then an hour to completely claybar the Cappuccino.

What do you do, hold the car in one hand and the bar in the other?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Loanarn posted:

The Skyline GT-R was never manufactured outside Japan, and the sole export markets were Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. It was only ever sold as RHD. There are a handful of overpriced LHD conversions where they did too much work including cutting the dash in half and gluing it back together. I own a RHD R32 GTR. It took me about 1.5 days to get used to driving RHD. You can pay 100k extra or you can suck it up and git gud.

Wanna try it? PM me if you live near the PWN.

Some dude made LHD dashes from scratch a long time ago, idk if he still does it

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

KakerMix posted:

So when is the turbo 13B swap happening? Mazdarati 2.0?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

1) I could actually use that little truck *as* a truck, considering the dearth of small pickups in the US, and that price even with shipping and such is tempting.

2)

McTinkerson posted:

So when is the turbo 13B swap happening? Mazdarati 2.0?

That idea makes me feel funny in certain places.

edit: seriously, could you just see this thing drifting around turns with the duals smoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm actually real keen to see what that Bongo is like once it gets over here. I imagine whoever I sell it to will use it as a truck. Small trucks are cool and all for the USDM but this one has folding sides and rear, tie-downs all over the place and also melts retinas with it's paintwork. It's difficult to try to look up information on what tonnage it is, I *think* this one as the smaller-rear-wheel option to get a lower bed but I don't know what the dually wheels mean.

:toot:

Still have to trim restore but gosh using power tools instead of doing it by hand is so much better. Going to get it some nice white letter meaty tires, probably going to remove the side steps (but include them in the sale) because the plastic portion on one side is busted and the one is bent. For pictures I bet it will look a lot better with them off. Just like the goofy chrome bullbar it came with.