Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I doubt Gruden has this condition.

takes a shameless man to check out spider 2 bananas on the sidelines, for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will miss Gruden's insanity as a commentator.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH NO TOM CABLE WE’RE FREEEEEEEEE

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Well, let's review.

There were a handful of positives to the game. Lions did have one nice TD drive, the pick 6 was great, and Golladay had a great fuckin' day. The team does have talent, but...

I think the most concerning thing about this past offseason and this first game is how bad many of Quinn's draft picks have looked. It's a far cry from 2016 and 2017, when his picks were big performers-a lot of players like Robinson, Davis, and Tabor haven't progressed in the ways they've needed to or have even regressed, which means that the team that Quinn took over in 2015 that had a ton of holes that needed to be filled still has a ton of holes that need to be filled, and the star players are getting older. This worries me a lot more than last night's disaster, really-one game is one game, no matter how bad it is. But talent is incredibly important to the long-term health and performance of the team, and this is the first time I've really started to question Quinn's ability to evaluate talent.

The other big concern is the coaching-and not Patricia's (Though I'll get to that in a moment), but Cooter's. Like we've seen, the Jets players knew exactly what plays the Lions were going to run as Stafford was calling them, which meant that with the exception of only a handful of drives the Lions were incapable of moving downfield, and were turning over the ball constantly. And while the Lions still might not have won if Stafford hadn't thrown so many interceptions, there's no question that they were a massive factor in the team's meltdown-especially in the third quarter, after which the team gave up completely. For what was supposed to be the team's strength, the offense being an active liability in this game was the single biggest problem.

Special teams was also an unexpected disaster, which was especially disappointing considering it has been one of the team's real strengths over the past few years. Multiple missed field goals left points off the board, and the defense on the punt returns were exceptionally awful. The punt return TD was bad, no question-but even discounting the score itself, the Jets gained one hundred and thirty seven yards on three punt returns, averaging nearly 46 yards a return. Andre Roberts was the real unsung hero of the Jets last night-the Lions punted three times, and each time the Jets scored a touchdown on short fields or Roberts took it in himself. Short fields off of punt returns, missed field goals, and interceptions gave the Jets a massive advantage over the Lions in the game, and was a major factor in their success.

The defense was expected to be bad so honestly I'm not hugely upset with their performance. With no pass rush (especially after Ansah went out with an injury AGAIN, jesus christ ziggy) and only a handful of competent players in the secondary Darnold was probably going to look great regardless, and they were constantly working on short fields. It was bad, really bad, but they did force a few stops and had had that interception return so if anything they were at least less actively counter-productive than the rest of the team.

And, Patricia. Ultimately, the failure of the team comes down to him-he's the head coach, and in this one game the team clearly regressed in on every level. Moving beyond that, I also wasn't a fan of his in-game decision making—this is a sentiment common to pretty much everyone in TFF, but when I see fourth and goal, especially when you're already down two scores and you know you're getting the ball back after the half, I want the team to go for it. Going for the field goal in the third quarter when the team was down 24 points was also immensely frustrating, though marginally more understandable since it was abundantly clear that there was no way the Lions had the ability to come back at that point—but even so, he should have gone for it, especially considering the embarrassment of the miss and the Jets TD immediately afterwards.

Looking forward, the team has Problems. Hopefully, fixable ones—Jim Bob Cooter already revamped the playbook on the fly once when he took over from Joe Lombardi back in 2015, and if he can somehow manage to unfuck whatever made the offense so predictable and vulnerable this game, then the team should at least be mediocre, if not competitive. Likewise, if the special teams can figure out how not to give up massive punt returns, which they have very recent experience doing, then that would go a long way towards not giving opposing teams free points.

The defense, meanwhile, will continue to suck and I accept that.

But yeah, dark clouds are on the horizon if the Lions and Patricia especially don't figure things out very loving quickly. I personally think the Jets may end up being a lot better than they were predicted to be, but even so they were one of the easier teams on the schedule, and things are only going to get harder and harder from here on out. Emergency measures are needed, and it's up to Quinn and Patricia to turn the ship around immediately, which I have little confidence in their ability to do.

In short, looks like another fun and exciting season for the Detroit Lions!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Lions’ inability to adjust when things went sideways (like the various injuries) is a real red flag for the coaching staff. One thing I’ll give Belichick credit is the ability to adjust during halftime; why can’t his coach progeny do the same?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/1039565534399012864

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Oh my

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

Panthers RT Daryl Williams will undergo knee surgery.

Williams suffered a new injury to the same knee in which he tore his MCL and dislocated his kneecap in the preseason. The Panthers did not reveal the nature of the new injury, but the right tackle is almost certainly headed to injured reserve. It is a terrible break for a player in his contract year. Amini Silatolu took over at right tackle after Williams exited Week 1.

quote:

Panthers announced Greg Olsen re-fractured his surgically-repaired right foot Week 1 against the Cowboys.

"There are no plans for surgery at this time," the team said in a statement. "We will monitor his rehab and evaluate his progress on a monthly basis." Not needing surgery is a positive sign, but it still seems likely Olsen ends up on injured reserve. Rookie Ian Thomas should start at tight end while Olsen is sidelined.

:rip:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
To be honest the Raiders were nowhere near as bad as I thought they were going to be. The offensive line is straight up good, so the run game is good and pass protection is good. They were tested against the Rams, but that isn't the average defensive line, and for a whole half they dominated. They could've taken control of the second half too if Carr wasn't succumbing to phantom pressure constantly and throwing the ball out of bounds or to the other team. Carr looked amazing the first half when everything was running smoothly and then crap the second half when things started to get more difficult and off schedule. He was acting like a one-read quarterback through and through and that is going to be a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if that is Gruden's long term plan: to get rid of Carr as he slowly improves each position.

Marshawn was awesome but once the Raiders fell behind they couldn't lean on the run game like they were. I never didn't think that the Rams would come back and win out eventually, the talent on that team is simply much greater than on the Raiders. But as far as coaching I would say Gruden did a really good job unfortunately

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This is art.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Something about this picture is unbelievably funny to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Something about this picture is unbelievably funny to me.

It's the quarterback version of those horrible Trent Richardson photos of him missing running lanes that are 5 yards wide.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

It's the quarterback version of those horrible Trent Richardson photos of him missing running lanes that are 5 yards wide.

That's exactly it. Good call.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Bears.jpg

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cool lets have him rush back and break it again and never let it heal just like last year

quote:

The Charlotte Observer reports the Panthers will hold off on placing Greg Olsen (broken foot) on injured reserve.

It means the Panthers think Olsen could return some time in the next two months. If placed on I.R., that's how long Olsen would have to sit before being a candidate for return. It's probably an overly optimistic timeline but speaks to how badly the Panthers want Olsen back this season.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
the worst thing about the lions game, besides throwing 500 int's was jbc stupid rear end face giving blount and riddick carries rather than just giving the ball to kerryon who was actually doing well.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Heres the video.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1039570540355379200

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I like Matthews neither spying the qb nor dropping into coverage.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I am reading that Jim Bob Cooter did not change his signals since last season. How is that possible?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I am reading that Jim Bob Cooter did not change his signals since last season. How is that possible?

You are asking why a man named Jim Bob Cooter didn't do something smart.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

When you hit the wrong button in Madden

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leon Einstein posted:

I like Matthews neither spying the qb nor dropping into coverage.

My favorite is in the video, Allen Robinson is clearly body blocking his defender away from the open receiver, even with his back turned to Burton he’s more aware of the wide open target than Trubisky.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

Heres the video.

God, that's real good because there's some chunk of time before it even starts where he should've thrown it, then he still has three little hop steps during which he should've thrown it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Trubs is just a single read qb right now isn't he

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Thanks again for that extra draft pick, Bears.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

He always has been, or at least I've never seen enough to think differently.

In the video, yeah he hesitates and misses his chance. After he failed to throw it's good he didn't because the DB is breaking hard, but in the NFL you need to learn how to just pull the trigger on poo poo like that when it comes open.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That’s incredible. How did the bears create that big of a pocket? Was it a fake? Do the bears have a good line

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

All I can think is that play was 100% designed to be thrown where it was and his head is only looking forward to try to draw the defense away from where he threw it.

Trying to rip it in low to a covered but with good body position Robinson would have been a better place to throw it. The Matt Ryan system of throwing it 5 yards out of bounds and hoping someone can jump that high would have been better.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I don't know how often NFL coaches change their signals in reality. I think effectively getting enough information to do something with it seems to involve some sort of extraordinarily audio/video aid or inside information...either you've got to have a player or coach from that team on your roster, outright cheating like the Patriots did at spygate, or the like.

Years ago Zach Thomas was able to piece together the Patriots audibles and blocking calls based on broadcast film/audio in a late-season game. The Patriots didn't score, and Tom Brady went 12 of 25 for 78 yards and 4 sacks. Thomas was probably one of the best "study" guys in NFL history in terms of being able to predict play-calling on his own merits though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

All I can think is that play was 100% designed to be thrown where it was and his head is only looking forward to try to draw the defense away from where he threw it.

Trying to rip it in low to a covered but with good body position Robinson would have been a better place to throw it.

No low and to the outside to Burton is where that pass needs to go, the second he sees him. It's an easy loving pass he's on the 15 yard line!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

No low and to the outside to Burton is where that pass needs to go, the second he sees him. It's an easy loving pass he's on the 15 yard line!

Burton's the super wide open guy isn't he?

I was pointing out a different incorrect throw in the general direction where his head was originally pointed that would have been better than the end result.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol

https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/1039579055211864069?s=19

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Coldforge posted:

Thanks again for that extra draft pick, Bears.
I completely forgot that the Bears traded up a spot with the Niners to draft him at #2 overall

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If you watch the video Ha Ha is closing at top speed on that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

"if Burton is stationary".

Dude, look at his loving legs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

"if Burton is stationary".

Dude, look at his loving legs.

Don’t know what your talking about that’s how I stand.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/chiefincarolina/status/1039560286838173698?s=21

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Don’t know what your talking about that’s how I stand.

I loved you in Smooth Criminal

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I report every Chiefs gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Burton's the super wide open guy isn't he?

I was pointing out a different incorrect throw in the general direction where his head was originally pointed that would have been better than the end result.

Got it, that throw could be a bit risky though. Robinson is actually holding his guy so that Trubs can get it to Burton

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If you watch the video Ha Ha is closing at top speed on that.

He's closing but if Trubs just threw it when Burton first came open it's an easy pitch and catch for a touchdown. Trubs is on the 15 yard line, you throw that one hard, low and to the outside and bam

Okay, so now let's ask this: does Burton loving LOOK STATIONARY YOU JACKASS!!??

• Locked thread