Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

i'm going to get the telecaster by/for my birthday, she said she'd get the money asap but at least by my birthday - 11/05. that's all the tracks of my brain right now. telecaster telecaster must have telecaster

hell

landgrabber posted:

i did already! i probably would've bought a strat blindly but i picked up a telecaster in the store and did basic 4 chord poo poo on it and was very much in love

yeah

Now you’ve got two months to build up nuclear levels of hype about your future instrument. That’s the best part of playing guitar tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Grats! Are we posting Teles again? Here's the modified-modified '72 custom project.

As you can see, I can't do a finish for poo poo but I think the transfer on the headstock turned out well.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

landgrabber posted:

i did already! i probably would've bought a strat blindly but i picked up a telecaster in the store and did basic 4 chord poo poo on it and was very much in love

cool that is very good. buy it in peace, with my blessing :catholic:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Now you've got two months to build up nuclear levels of hype about your future instrument. That's the best part of playing guitar tbh
naaaaaaaaaaah hype is a false god

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hype is the only thing keeping me going

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Baron von Eevl posted:

Grats! Are we posting Teles again? Here's the modified-modified '72 custom project.

As you can see, I can't do a finish for poo poo but I think the transfer on the headstock turned out well.

We should all start a stickered up tele gang

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Genuinely excited for the Landgrab guitar grab

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Some catchup, sorry if this is all over the shop:

I have a 30D body and no working lenses (because I spend the money on music stuff instead), but one day I will shell out for a good 50mm again because I miss playing with SLRs.

I've also taken to having a mike setup on my usb interface so I can quickly get ideas down before i forget them. I have two songs that will eventuate from doing that. Ukulele is the best quick-idea generator I have!

I'm as big a procrastinator as anyone, the trick to getting it done is to ignore the voices and put something down, anything, it doesn't matter what it is. You've got to make yourself do it to generate the process and the more you do that, the easier the habit becomes. Right now I'm thinking of reggae ideas, some as covers of other songs, this morning I woke up from a dream where people were playing reggae with tablas. I really don't know how to psyche anyone into it, but I know that being hyper-critical of yourself is the excuse to do nothing.

I agree that bouncing off other people is also helpful, I'm a bassplayer at heart, it's not as much fun alone. But telling the internet that I'm going to do something and knowing the internet will hold me to it is perhaps my weird way around it. Also, songs can be random riffs just fine, it never stopped Paul McCartney. Or Radiohead.

BTW, Radiohead are a prog rock band in disguise, it's brilliant.

Rhythmic illusions are everywhere, two of my favourites: The beginning of Drive My Car, The Beatles, and Always Forever Now on Brian Eno's album Passengers with a bit of help from some guys called U2. In both of those, it's pot luck whether I get the right beat at first or not. Actually Always Forever Now can fool me for most of the track so I disagree with Dave Bruce on that, or maybe I'm just special. Oh and another one, I Will Lick Your rear end in a top hat, Regurgitator. Though with that one, once you clue into the synth rhythm you can ignore the drums trying to trick you.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

awesmoe posted:

naaaaaaaaaaah hype is a false god

Then it’s treason

The white contemporary strat sold so I got a data corrupter. :eng101:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Kilometers Davis posted:

We should all start a stickered up tele gang

The birds and flower on the body are cut out from a calendar my wife had, and then decoupaged on as part of the finish. The headstock are transferred into the finish from a laserjet printout.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm thinking of getting one of those metal Teles. The Charvel Joe Duplantier looks really sharp.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

ewe2 posted:

I have a 30D body and no working lenses (because I spend the money on music stuff instead), but one day I will shell out for a good 50mm again because I miss playing with SLRs.

I've also taken to having a mike setup on my usb interface so I can quickly get ideas down before i forget them. I have two songs that will eventuate from doing that. Ukulele is the best quick-idea generator I have!

I'm as big a procrastinator as anyone, the trick to getting it done is to ignore the voices and put something down, anything, it doesn't matter what it is. You've got to make yourself do it to generate the process and the more you do that, the easier the habit becomes. Right now I'm thinking of reggae ideas, some as covers of other songs, this morning I woke up from a dream where people were playing reggae with tablas. I really don't know how to psyche anyone into it, but I know that being hyper-critical of yourself is the excuse to do nothing.

I agree that bouncing off other people is also helpful, I'm a bassplayer at heart, it's not as much fun alone. But telling the internet that I'm going to do something and knowing the internet will hold me to it is perhaps my weird way around it. Also, songs can be random riffs just fine, it never stopped Paul McCartney. Or Radiohead.

Rhythmic illusions are everywhere, two of my favourites: The beginning of Drive My Car, The Beatles, and Always Forever Now on Brian Eno's album Passengers with a bit of help from some guys called U2. In both of those, it's pot luck whether I get the right beat at first or not. Actually Always Forever Now can fool me for most of the track so I disagree with Dave Bruce on that, or maybe I'm just special. Oh and another one, I Will Lick Your rear end in a top hat, Regurgitator. Though with that one, once you clue into the synth rhythm you can ignore the drums trying to trick you.

Speaking of hard to follow beats, the hives and their album ‘Tyranosauraus hives’ has a few songs that really mess with the ear like antidote. Sick band with high energy and songs made of nothing but hooks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ewe2 posted:

Good god dang post :love:

Also for what it’s worth I’ve decided to stop being so reluctant and making a guitar Instagram later this month so start sharing some little clips and whatnot. It has been pure hell getting myself to do anything like that or finish any songs or projects and that seems like a great way to start practicing the art of putting things out.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The birds and flower on the body are cut out from a calendar my wife had, and then decoupaged on as part of the finish. The headstock are transferred into the finish from a laserjet printout.

Oh that’s super cool! I’m getting my Tele out and changing it up a little soon. Definitely getting some good creative inspiration here :D

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Speaking of hard to follow beats, the hives and their album ‘Tyranosauraus hives’ has a few songs that really mess with the ear like antidote. Sick band with high energy and songs made of nothing but hooks.

Hate To Say I Told You So is the one Hives song I really know, because it was the theme tune for a favourite radio show back in 2006-2007, and I love their trashy punk sound, so I will check that out.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Good god dang post :love:

Thanks, I hope it helped. Don't be like me and wait until you're 50ish to get your poo poo together musically; I also beat myself with that to procrastinate too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ewe2 posted:

Thanks, I hope it helped. Don't be like me and wait until you're 50ish to get your poo poo together musically; I also beat myself with that to procrastinate too.

I don’t want to get too into it because it can trigger a lot of anxiety but I’m in my late 20s and often feel like I’m a dumbass who will never release anything ever and will end up nowhere with my music. I know it’s not really the case but still. I’ve found that if you don’t confront your frustrations in the creative/art world they can turn into manifested demons that will gently caress you over at every chance. I’m fighting back though, or at least trying! Being a good guitarist and musician but not having anything tangible to show or look at can really do a number on you.

I don’t even have big hard to put together ambitions like being in a touring band or anything. I just want to make solo albums and that’s it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I started getting a lot better at song writing after I started learning jazz standards. Digesting full heads with their forms and chords helped me a lot with creating structure to my music, and there's plenty of room for my own original progressions, I just now have a framework to wrap around it so it feels complete. I've already written two of my own tunes using this kind of thinking and I recommend trying it yourself if you need a structure to put ideas on for a while.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

landgrabber posted:

You're gonna want to do it with the actual one you buy to check for anything obvious like sharp fret ends.

Not that I suspect you or anyone else would buy a guitar without playing it at least a little. The fact that it seems to have chosen you is a good start.

Watch all the tele vids to get hyped and also to stay focused and not flip flop.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skooma512 posted:

You're gonna want to do it with the actual one you buy to check for anything obvious like sharp fret ends.

Not that I suspect you or anyone else would buy a guitar without playing it at least a little. The fact that it seems to have chosen you is a good start.

Watch all the tele vids to get hyped and also to stay focused and not flip flop.

It’s good advice but I buy most of my guitars blind and have never had an issue. One that I bought from a store is the biggest one I’ve had problems bonding with.

To be fair though I mostly buy from Sweetwater and their QC is really top notch.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

skooma512 posted:

it's tough because idk about my local guitar store. i really want to support them because they're building a guitar center near me which is probably going to drive them out of business - a place that's been nothing but friendly to me the one time i went in there but also my sister every time she went there. but i called today and asked if they stocked the squier standard telecaster and they said like "yeah we have teles, we just got an american professional in today"

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
* Bird tele owns

* Whiskey in the Jar has the worst lead tone I’ve ever heard, which I’ve just remembered today, and that gives me so much recording confidence (go listen)

* I bring this up because my new favorite podcast (Pod Minutes to Cast Night) did an episode about Thin Lizzy today and I want to recommend it to anyone who loves making fun of bad metal because it’s loving hilarious and it brings me so much joy every week

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I want that orange affinity tele now.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it might cost too much money (if it were more than like $50 or something i'd have to say nah) but to customize this body i kind of want to go get a bunch of custom stickers made - stuff i actually like or have drawn or something that's not just Brand Stickers or whatever and do it all in one go. i was also considering for a long time getting gaff/electrical tape and x-acto knifing lines out of it really carefully to get some line art.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t want to get too into it because it can trigger a lot of anxiety but I’m in my late 20s and often feel like I’m a dumbass who will never release anything ever and will end up nowhere with my music. I know it’s not really the case but still. I’ve found that if you don’t confront your frustrations in the creative/art world they can turn into manifested demons that will gently caress you over at every chance. I’m fighting back though, or at least trying! Being a good guitarist and musician but not having anything tangible to show or look at can really do a number on you.

I don’t even have big hard to put together ambitions like being in a touring band or anything. I just want to make solo albums and that’s it.
I always think about it this way: Lamb of God didn't get big enough to more or less live off of music up until the guys were like in their early-to-mid 30's. Like, by the time Sacrament came out, outside of Willie, everyone was in their mid 30's. Don't lose too much sleep over it and keep on trying to make things happen.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^^^thank you man :) that kind of thing definitely helps me out a lot. It’s easy to only see the negative sometimes.

landgrabber posted:

it might cost too much money (if it were more than like $50 or something i'd have to say nah) but to customize this body i kind of want to go get a bunch of custom stickers made - stuff i actually like or have drawn or something that's not just Brand Stickers or whatever and do it all in one go. i was also considering for a long time getting gaff/electrical tape and x-acto knifing lines out of it really carefully to get some line art.

Have you considered making diy stickers? It’s not too hard and super fun.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i'm also tempted to see if i can get some sort of white rap or really huge plain white seamless sticker and just turn the blonde body white. then get a weird x-acto'd sticker of an mc escher design to put over it

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I fight with similar anxieties which is why it's so important to just do it. I think you know how good writing a song can be, you just need to chase that over your reluctance and over-thinking it. Like what I think Wark Say is saying (that's an awkward phrase), whether it's a success or not is besides the point, doing what you love, is.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it'd be cool to start a discord for the regs in this thread, would anyone be down for that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

landgrabber posted:

i'm also tempted to see if i can get some sort of white rap or really huge plain white seamless sticker and just turn the blonde body white. then get a weird x-acto'd sticker of an mc escher design to put over it

I assume you're getting the squire standard tele.

I mean, if you're going to shell out for something to make it white, why not just spend the extra 50 bucks and go for the affinity which does come in white? Idk what the difference is between it and the standard but at this price point quality does scale with money.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ewe2 posted:

I fight with similar anxieties which is why it's so important to just do it. I think you know how good writing a song can be, you just need to chase that over your reluctance and over-thinking it. Like what I think Wark Say is saying (that's an awkward phrase), whether it's a success or not is besides the point, doing what you love, is.

I appreciate this kind of thing a lot, for real. It gives me hope.

I’ll try to get something out this month. You’re right about the act of simply doing it being the most important part. I was stuck on wanting to make a really awesome album for my first “big” music project but I know that even something small like setting up an Instagram to share riffs and ideas is just as important for the big picture.

landgrabber posted:

it'd be cool to start a discord for the regs in this thread, would anyone be down for that

Maybe? I’ve never used discord but I love y’all itt and that could convince me to try it possibly maybe perhaps

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, look I'm settling on doing an EP for bandcamp because that seems to be a reasonable first goal and it's not too big to approach. I haven't really set my bandcamp up much yet but I'm going to do these drat songs and make them sound as good as I can and doing it because I'm literally mad at myself for not doing it. So all I need is 4 songs at the most and doing a bit of web setup and I can manage that, baby steps.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

landgrabber posted:

it's tough because idk about my local guitar store. i really want to support them because they're building a guitar center near me which is probably going to drive them out of business - a place that's been nothing but friendly to me the one time i went in there but also my sister every time she went there. but i called today and asked if they stocked the squier standard telecaster and they said like "yeah we have teles, we just got an american professional in today"

My local just ordered my Yamaha for me and it came in like a week, no extra charge, they even beat Amazon without haggling. You're the customer, if you want something specific they can either pony up or you walk.

The Affinity Tele in white on Amazon is 200 btw, and if your mom or someone has a Prime Credit Card they get 10% cash back on musical instruments the rest of the year.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

skooma512 posted:

I assume you're getting the squire standard tele.

I mean, if you're going to shell out for something to make it white, why not just spend the extra 50 bucks and go for the affinity which does come in white? Idk what the difference is between it and the standard but at this price point quality does scale with money.

the standard is the more ezpensive one, not the other way around, and the affinity white isn't awesome, it's still slightly yellow i think - ideally i'd have the player series "polar white" - i played it in store and it was gorgeous

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ok i have created goontar center. i will add more things by popular demand https://discord.gg/TrGkKG

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fullroundaction posted:

* I bring this up because my new favorite podcast (Pod Minutes to Cast Night) did an episode about Thin Lizzy today and I want to recommend it to anyone who loves making fun of bad metal because it’s loving hilarious and it brings me so much joy every week

it's interesting because everyone on it has only listened to like maybe five bands in their entire lives

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
Man, I just lurk here occasionally wondered what caused the thread to blow up so much. Expected stupid internet slap fights, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Landgrabber, I look forward to pics of your tele when you get it, and your inevitable 6 months of indecision on amplifiers.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
EzDrummer2: good/bad?
Been wanting to get something like that for a while. is that the preferred drum app, or is there something better out there?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

betterinsodapop posted:

EzDrummer2: good/bad?
Been wanting to get something like that for a while. is that the preferred drum app, or is there something better out there?

It's pretty good and has a wide variety of available addon kits you can buy, but it's kinda expensive for what it is and the built in mixer+effects kinda suck rear end compared to bussing out each mic and using separate VSTs to EQ and touch up. If you are going to get them, wait until black friday for when it goes on sale, I think I picked up my copy for like $150 total with an addon kit.

However, this drum VST sounds pretty beastly and I'd suggest checking it out:

massive spider posted:

its a free vst called mt powerdrum2 with the kit parts bussed seperately so i can compress them individually. I like it ore than ez drummer or logics drummer because the snare snaps hard too.

massive spider posted:

It takes me months to finish a song but I think thats generally normal, just play and do stuff and it will come together eventually (maybe)

Heres a quick jam from today. I put down some loops and one of the guitar tracks came out of sync with the others which created a nice call and response effect i thought

https://soundcloud.com/hugespiders/transcript

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Thank you very much for your quick response and good advice. :cheers:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here use the free garageband auto-drummer to produce tracks?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Does anyone here use the free garageband auto-drummer to produce tracks?

IF it's the same as the Logic auto-drummer, then yes!

Both of the samples on my neglected Soundcloud page are just stock auto-drummer: https://soundcloud.com/user-701885621

Bad mixing is my fault, not theirs. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Showed up today!