Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Entropy238 posted:

Holy poo poo this game is so good.

Last time I played it was before all of the free DLCs came out and I'm giving it another run through.

Just spent about 40 minutes fighting Nightmare King Grimm and finally got him down. Such a satisfying fight. Everything kind of fell in to place once I copped that:
- the location he teleports to is his "tell" and you really have to concentrate on it
- it's not worth trying to get a heal in outside of his stun
- you should always be ready to jump every time he teleports
- stay in the middle of the arena so he doesn't pin you to the wall
- there's lots of opportunities for Shaman Stone abyss shrieks

What did it for me was to walk away from wherever he appears. His uppercut will then miss and allow an attack, and you'll be able to dodge his flame rush by jumping over the ground lunge. Bats are the best spot to hit him, I just jumped over the second and dashed through the third for two easy hits. Walking slowly also means you don't run out of arena for dodging flame pillar.

Kinda wish he had a second phase as he got hurt more tbh. loving blast to best though, took me so many plays to figure out that strategy.

Arrhythmia posted:

The different phases of the radiance are, using the most generous definition of phase: 1. opening, 2. opening but half the platform is spikes, 3. endless sword rain, abyss appears, 4. small platforms, 5. Epic climb to the top while radiance lasers you to deliver coup de grace.

That climb is one of the best game endings I've experienced in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The best time to do anything in the NKG fight is during the fire pillars. You can get 4 attacks in on him easy and one of them can be abyss shriek, plus if you have Shape of Un you can use it to heal 3 times even with deep focus.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

That climb is one of the best game endings I've experienced in a long time.

The person who decided that AR needed just oooonneee more phase after it is a real major fucker but drat did it make it satisfying

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arrhythmia posted:

The person who decided that AR needed just oooonneee more phase after it is a real major fucker but drat did it make it satisfying

Thanks for that untagged spoiler.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 11, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Thanks for that untagged spoiler.

:qqpeters:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

man, this white palace is pissing me off - I can get to a series of rapid spears jagging up and down on a path, so you need to move in during the pattern and by the time I get to it, I have no loving health.

very annoying.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Try equipping Hiveblood, Grubsong, and Deep Focus

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't know if this will help necessarily but getting good at pogoing off of spikes and saws lets you skip huge areas of the palace.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You should never run out of health in the white palace. There's charms you can put on that literally make it impossible to run out of health if you're patient.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

RCarr posted:

You should never run out of health in the white palace. There's charms you can put on that literally make it impossible to run out of health if you're patient.

This tithin! Equip hiveblood, grubsong and deep focus. If your problem is health this will make it so that you never run out of it. It's just annoying to have to wait occasionally for your health to come back.

I did this and never died once in the entire palace.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
you don't even need Hiveblood, pretty sure with Grubsong and Deep Focus you can never die. Throw in Dashmaster so you can dash down in places

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Do not use Dashmaster in the white palace

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

skasion posted:

Yes I wholeheartedly recommend not using Dashmaster in the White Palace.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

skasion posted:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
http://teamcherry.com.au/hollow-knight-voidheart-edition-releasing-on-playstation-4-and-xbox-one-september-25th/

HK on PS4 and Xbone September 25. I know at least one person with an Xbone I'm buying this for. "Voidheart Edition", while a badass name, seems to just be everything currently out on PC/Switch.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I did It! Defeated the Radiance!

Thanks thread for all the tips, what did it for me was equipping quick slash so I could get a lot of damage in the platform phase when she would come close. The tip for shape of unn and abyss shriek was cool too, used it a lot on the first 2 phases of the boss.

Anyway, I'm sitting at 104% completion and 50 hours, probably going to take a break from it now. This was a wonderful game, my first metroidvania and made me pretty interested on the genre. It was great to sit down for half an hour or so and just jump on some bugs.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

morcant posted:

http://teamcherry.com.au/hollow-knight-voidheart-edition-releasing-on-playstation-4-and-xbox-one-september-25th/

HK on PS4 and Xbone September 25. I know at least one person with an Xbone I'm buying this for. "Voidheart Edition", while a badass name, seems to just be everything currently out on PC/Switch.

Good for them, I hope they sell a million more copies. Amazing to see it still at/near the top of the best sellers on the Switch eShop.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So I finished this tonight - "finished" - haven't started the godseeker stuff and unlikely to.

Got the three original endings, 97% completion rate.

Started doing the path of pain, realised it was likely way the gently caress above my abilities, especially given my switch - when in handheld mode which is how i usually play - consistently drops its signal for the right joycon, and then i lose two seconds of response time due to input lag when it reconnects, so I watched a video of it instead and honestly, I'm grateful I didn't go through all that bullshit.

It was an incredible game, the most fun metroidvania I've played in a very long time. I will gladly buy the hornet DLC on day 1, and back any other kickstarter team cherry put forward - especially if it's a paid DLC for Bretta.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
Finally beat this guy, 38 hours, 100% completion, and the original ending. Not sure if I'll ever successfully complete the White Palace, I'm no good at the platforming parts. I'll give it a try again eventually, but I sure had a good time most of the time. Don't know if I'll touch Godseeker, but I guess we'll see how masochistic I feel. Props to all you crazy peeps who do it!

My favorite boss was Dung Defender, that guy just really enjoys doing what he does!

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Is this at all tolerable on mouse and keyboard? I'm sort of terrified to try, but my controller is busted and with me out of work I might well not be able to get a new one for quite awhile. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The input is entirely binary, no analog support, so I don't see why you couldn't play it on keyboard, if you can find a control setup that's intuitive for you.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

On my first run through I played with a keyboard and mouse no problem. Go for it.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Ahahaha, gently caress you, AR! You and your whole crew!

Finally beat pantheon 5. I'm never going through that poo poo again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Ahahaha, gently caress you, AR! You and your whole crew!

Finally beat pantheon 5. I'm never going through that poo poo again.

Well done, friend. You can finally die.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Oh god someone share your secret hacks to get past the no floor section of the Trial of Fools! I did it once out of dozens of attempts and got bit by the God Tamer but can’t swing it again.

This game is loving amazing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

redcheval posted:

Oh god someone share your secret hacks to get past the no floor section of the Trial of Fools! I did it once out of dozens of attempts and got bit by the God Tamer but can’t swing it again.

Nail arts, personally.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Of course as soon as I posted that I got to the God Tamer again. Still got curbstomped agh. I’m definitely using Nail Arts! Seems like the key is to go into that no floor part with plenty of health and... pray you stay on top of everyone :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

redcheval posted:

Pogo a lot, try not to use your double-jump if you don't need it, using magic mid-air stops your fall temporarily
You can pogo off the spikes but you don't get a lot of air off of them, though it can be good if you're close to a wall to save yourself.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Also if you haven't figured it out yet, nail reach charms make pogo a LOT easier by way of vastly expanding your margin for error, something to remember in a big way for that long platforming section to get to the Nailmaster in Greenpath, among other things.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Nailmaster's glory is really strong and makes it much more practicable to use multiple charge attacks during the same wave.

For the very last floorless section, with the low roof, I remember saving up soul and using spells to instantly burst down the last few flyers. I think you might need the shaman stone equipped to kill them with one shade soul? It's been a while.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Man I picked the right time to play back through the game. I didn’t even know Godmaster was coming out and now it’s the cherry on top of this latest playthrough.

This game is still as magical and fun as the first time I played through I love it so much.

Also, Nightmare King Grimm is a bitch and a half to beat.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Once you figure it out it's kind of sad how easy NKG gets.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BBJoey posted:

To be entirely fair, I think every boss except the last two hits that point in Godmaster.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BBJoey posted:

Is it though? Maybe I'm just not spending enough time practicing the fight but it's still a pain in the rear end, I feel like there's no good time to hit him other than when he does the fire columns that follow you around. I also have no idea how to both dodge the bat(?) projectiles and still get a hit in during that attack.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Is it though? Maybe I'm just not spending enough time practicing the fight but it's still a pain in the rear end, I feel like there's no good time to hit him other than when he does the fire columns that follow you around. I also have no idea how to both dodge the bat(?) projectiles and still get a hit in during that attack.

Ignore the first bat that goes high, jump over the low second bat and dash, all while moving towards him. You should be able to get two or three hits in. When he does either lunging attack, you can pogo off of the ground-dash half of it to get a hit in. Also, the cloak-pillar attack is a great time to heal, even without any of the charms that improve healing.

e: the bat attack may require a quick double jump to keep your airtime up, I can't remember.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 17, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the best way to figure out which 2 mask shards I’m missing? The only charm I have left to find is the one you need 15 masks of life for in the abyss.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

You can get that one by visiting a lifeblood cocoon or two in addition to the lifeblood charms you have. You have to not get hit much, of course. I got it without all the masks. I’m still missing one, actually... The HK wikia has a descriptive list of all the shards iirc

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

b_d posted:

You can get that one by visiting a lifeblood cocoon or two in addition to the lifeblood charms you have. You have to not get hit much, of course. I got it without all the masks. I’m still missing one, actually... The HK wikia has a descriptive list of all the shards iirc

I did not know that, good to know! I know there’s a list of shards but I don’t know how to tell which ones I’ve gotten already without just going to visit the location of every one. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
FWIW the last mask shard that I found was in the Crossroads, there's a long room near the bottom with spiky worm guys where you need the dash in order to get the shard, I just never bothered to go back and forgot about it.